PDA

View Full Version : It's amazing looking back at recruiting and how just one player affects

Coach34
02-27-2014, 04:55 PM
a coaching tenure.

Jackie not getting Keyshawn Johnson to campus. He and Moulds on the same team would have been too much for even Derrick Taite to **** up. We would have easily won 6-7 more games from 93-95 with Keyshawn added to the receiving corps.

Dan Mullen and Cam Newton. The 2010 team finishes 11-1 at worst with Newton at QB.

Polk not recruiting Stephen Head who wanted to be a Bulldog. He would have made our 2003-2005 teams a helluva lot better. 2 of those teams were pretty good and having his caliber player makes them that much better.

I was reading today about Jamont Gordon. I didnt realize Buzz Petterson getting fired at Tenn sent Jamont to us. JaMoney chose Stands over new incoming coach Bruce Pearl. If UT stays with Peterson 1 more year, we likely dont land Gordon.
Then you have the Baylor situation- which is still craziest situation I can recall in college basketball history- and we land LR because of it. Without LR and Gordon, Stands tenure is completely different.

bully99
02-27-2014, 05:59 PM
Lot of interesting names you bring up. Couple more in the mid 80's Ron Polk recruiting hard Ben McDonald and Greg Olson. Never had much chance at McDonald. He was going to lsu come hell or high water. Olson going to Auburn is still baffling. If Polk gets those two, his program and lsu and auburn programs are much different.

Dawg61
02-27-2014, 06:11 PM
Powers, Roberts, Moultrie are three players that probably added an extra 20+ wins collectively for Stansbury. Did Stansbury leave behind the "Transfers Waiver Wire" book for Ray to read? We sure could use a couple right now.

DCdawg
02-27-2014, 06:31 PM
Imagine if today's CBB rules were in place and Monta Ellis and Travis Outlaw would have played at State for a year.

Dawg61
02-27-2014, 06:39 PM
Imagine if today's CBB rules were in place and Monta Ellis and Travis Outlaw would have played at State for a year.

You lost me at Travis Outlaw. Don't be fooled by his twelve year NBA career. He blows. I have no idea how he's lasted longer than a day in the NBA. It's a miracle actually. Now replace Outlaw with Bender and you're on to something.

bannedwayne
02-27-2014, 06:45 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

And remember Jonathan Bender a few years before Outlaw (maybe '99 or '00)? Was committed and then scored like 30 in the High School all-star game (beating MJ's record) and moved into a top 5 draft pick. Would have been a baller in the NBA too if his knees would have held up.

We would have had some amazing teams through those years if these guys didn't go pro. If they would have stayed 4 years each, it would have been a dynasty.

Dawg61
02-27-2014, 06:58 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

And remember Jonathan Bender a few years before Outlaw (maybe '99 or '00)? Was committed and then scored like 30 in the High School all-star game (beating MJ's record) and moved into a top 5 draft pick. Would have been a baller in the NBA too if his knees would have held up.

We would have had some amazing teams through those years if these guys didn't go pro. If they would have stayed 4 years each, it would have been a dynasty.

MSU wasn't the only school getting hurt by players signing then going straight pro. Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, UCLA would of been better than the Bucks if their signees all played for them.

bannedwayne
02-27-2014, 07:00 PM
MSU wasn't the only school getting hurt by players signing then going straight pro. Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, UCLA would of been better than the Bucks if their signees all played for them.

Agreed, "dynasty level" was a stretch.

Would have been some fun teams to watch though.

Dawg61
02-27-2014, 07:08 PM
Agreed, "dynasty level" was a stretch.

Would have been some fun teams to watch though.

Oh no doubt and I still can't watch Monta Ellis without immediately thinking "what coulda been" and no matter who is around me I have the sudden urge to say "hey hey hey he shoulda played for MSU". Where's that flux capacitor already it's 2014?!

Brad Stevens
02-27-2014, 07:19 PM
You lost me at Travis Outlaw. Don't be fooled by his twelve year NBA career. He blows. I have no idea how he's lasted longer than a day in the NBA. It's a miracle actually. Now replace Outlaw with Bender and you're on to something.

SILENCE EVERYONE! The man who knows more than all college basketball AND NBA coaches/GMs speaks! We would all do well to listen*****

mic
02-27-2014, 07:34 PM

He blows.??? Do you even have a clue how hard it is to stay in the league for as long as Outlaw did. And actually be as productive as he was.??

War Machine Dawg
02-27-2014, 07:47 PM
SILENCE EVERYONE! The man who knows more than all college basketball AND NBA coaches/GMs speaks! We would all do well to listen*****

No kidding. Staying around the Association, even just as a scrub, is a monumental accomplishment. But don't tell that to Douche61.

Dawg61
02-27-2014, 08:16 PM
No kidding. Staying around the Association, even just as a scrub, is a monumental accomplishment. But don't tell that to Douche61.

Still mad about that Dinosaur comment TRex? Looks like I pissed off the Travis Outlaw fan boys. His older brother is twice as good as him. Ask Travis.

Brad Stevens
02-27-2014, 08:36 PM
Still mad about that Dinosaur comment TRex? Looks like I pissed off the Travis Outlaw fan boys. His older brother is twice as good as him. Ask Travis.

I was unaware there was such a thing as "Travis Outlaw fan boys." However, there is a thing called common sense, which you lack. Other than Erik Dampier, who in the last 25 years has had success in the NBA that went to MSU? Yet, when talking of an 11 year veteran of the NBA who could have played at MSU, your comment is "he blows."

In comparison to what? Michael Jordan? Kobe? Lebron? Yeah, maybe. But when compared to pretty much any MSU player in recent memory, 100% of sane people would say he most certainly does not "blow."

mic
02-27-2014, 08:42 PM
I was unaware there was such a thing as "Travis Outlaw fan boys." However, there is a thing called common sense, which you lack. Other than Erik Dampier, who in the last 25 years has had success in the NBA that went to MSU? Yet, when talking of an 11 year veteran of the NBA who could have played at MSU, your comment is "he blows."

In comparison to what? Michael Jordan? Kobe? Lebron? Yeah, maybe. But when compared to pretty much any MSU player in recent memory, 100% of sane people would say he most certainly does not "blow."

Its our fault. We fall for it.. Honestly I think Dawg61 says things hoping posters like yourself and me will call him out on it and say how ridiculous his comments are. So we can go back and forth like a bunch of 8 year olds..

Dawg61
02-27-2014, 09:32 PM

Is Travis Outlaw better at basketball than his older brother Jr.?

esplanade91
02-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Sounds like you're privy to "high school legend" talk at your local watering hole.

If Travis' brother was better, he'd be in the NBA. NBA scouts find guys in huts in 3rd world Africa, yet they weren't able to scout the older brother of a decade+ NBA vet? I imagine if you talk to 75% of the guys in any professional sports league in the United States who have older brothers, the older brother is "better."

Travis is a solid bench guy and probably could have made more money and seen a lot more PT with a lot better stats had he cashed in and gone to Europe. You glorify guys like Jamont who only had that as an option. Have your cake and eat it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C_uFHhG7MI

shoeless joe
02-27-2014, 09:51 PM
Didn't Polk also have jay bell committed but he went pro outta high school??

Dawg61
02-27-2014, 09:54 PM
Sounds like you're privy to "high school legend" talk at your local watering hole.

If Travis' brother was better, he'd be in the NBA. NBA scouts find guys in huts in 3rd world Africa, yet they weren't able to scout the older brother of a decade+ NBA vet? I imagine if you talk to 75% of the guys in any professional sports league in the United States who have older brothers, the older brother is "better."

Travis is a solid bench guy and probably could have made more money and seen a lot more PT with a lot better stats had he cashed in and gone to Europe. You glorify guys like Jamont who only had that as an option. Have your cake and eat it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C_uFHhG7MI

Esplanade I am absolutely shocked that you of all people don't know the Outlaw family. You know literally every single athlete in Starkville. Or I thought you did. Call it a "family decision" for Jr. to be the caretaker and Travis the money maker. If Jr. was 6'9 you'd know who he is.

HailState2008
02-27-2014, 10:29 PM

Wait? When did a twelve year NBA career transition into meaning that you blow as a basketball player?

Homedawg
02-27-2014, 10:37 PM
Didn't Polk also have jay bell committed but he went pro outta high school??

Yes. And Greg litton.

Homedawg
02-27-2014, 10:38 PM
Bender? Now he had a stellar career in the nba. Bet he wishes he had outlaws bank account. And no I'm not saying outlaw was a world beater.

Dawg61
02-27-2014, 10:41 PM
Bender? Now he had a stellar career in the nba. Bet he wishes he had outlaws bank account. And no I'm not saying outlaw was a world beater.

Doubt it. Bender is a successful inventor.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/nba-washout-jonathan-bender-turned-inventor-successful-knee-203412912.html

bully99
02-27-2014, 10:48 PM
Yes Litton and Bell and Jay Tibbs and Todd Ritchie among others who played in the bigs all signed with Polk. From the mid eighties to the early nineties, Polk lost so many players to the draft, he changed his recruiting philosophy and started signing kids who would come to school. But McDonald and Olson went to college and Polk didn't get either.

Homedawg
02-27-2014, 10:53 PM
Well if bender made over 60 mil w this device then great, which I doubt at this point. But u basically said he was superior to outlaw and his short nba career doesn't prove it.

Dawg61
02-27-2014, 11:04 PM
Well if bender made over 60 mil w this device then great, which I doubt at this point. But u basically said he was superior to outlaw and his short nba career doesn't prove it.

At the time they signed Einstein. We'd get 1 year with that player. I'm taking the one that set the scoring record in the McDonald's AA game.

DCdawg
02-27-2014, 11:12 PM

Considering Outlaw shouldn't have gone to the draft straight out of high school and lasted as long as he has, I'll assume he was better than the average college basketball player and could have helped out.

Homedawg
02-27-2014, 11:20 PM
At the time they signed Einstein. We'd get 1 year with that player. I'm taking the one that set the scoring record in the McDonald's AA game.

Well just because he set a record in a damn exhibition where they play no defense really doesn't make a damn.......Einstein. What proves your an idiot is saying a guy who has had a 12 yr career blows. Is he a star? Nope. But he must've fooled several teams since he sucks so bad.

Dawg61
02-27-2014, 11:34 PM
But he must've fooled several teams since he sucks so bad.

Yup. He's an absolute freak athlete with longer arms than Kevin Durant probably. He jumps out the ****ing roof and his arms wrap around your body twice. Physically NBA gifted yes.

Brad Stevens
02-27-2014, 11:55 PM
Yup. He's an absolute freak athlete with longer arms than Kevin Durant probably. He jumps out the ****ing roof and his arms wrap around your body twice. Physically NBA gifted yes.

But guys, he blows. We would rather have Bernard Rimmer **

Dawg61
02-28-2014, 12:19 AM

But guys, he blows. We would rather have Bernard Rimmer **

Who said anything about Bernard Rimmer other than you? I said I'd rather have freshman in college Jonathan Bender over freshman in college Travis Outlaw. You'd rather have Outlaw Brad?

THE Bruce Dickinson
02-28-2014, 12:27 AM
Esplanade I am absolutely shocked that you of all people don't know the Outlaw family. You know literally every single athlete in Starkville. Or I thought you did. Call it a "family decision" for Jr. to be the caretaker and Travis the money maker. If Jr. was 6'9 you'd know who he is.

Possibly the dumbest thing I have heard on this board to date. If big brother...

OK I will play. If Tyler Threadgill had been 6'5" and 25 pounds heavier and ran a 4.1-40 he would be playing on Sundays. Do you realize how stupid that sounds? Travis was no NBA legend or anything, but the guy has been solid for over a decade. I can name you a load of college stars who cant match that resume. I saw Travis dunk a basketball when he was 11, too.

Dawg61
02-28-2014, 12:49 AM
Travis Outlaw has been rated one of the worst NBA players for awhile now.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2012/04/the-25-worst-players-in-the-nba-right-now/travis-outlaw-kings

Homedawg
02-28-2014, 12:57 AM

http://www.complex.com/sports/2012/04/the-25-worst-players-in-the-nba-right-now/travis-outlaw-kings

That's great. He's played 12 years. Twelve freakin years in the nba. So pull what ever site you want,but the avg nba guy doesn't last 5 years much less 12! You point is ignorant. And guess what? If they cut him next year he still gets 7 MORE million dollars.

THE Bruce Dickinson
02-28-2014, 01:00 AM

Know what would make him better? IF he had Lebron's strength and speed and Durant's jumper. Hes totally better than both of everybody if he had those. Outlaw is the greatest NBA player of all time if he had those ****

Dawg61
02-28-2014, 01:20 AM
Know what would make him better? IF he had Lebron's strength and speed and Durant's jumper. Hes totally better than both of everybody if he had those. Outlaw is the greatest NBA player of all time if he had those ****

Haha take notes Brad this is how you reply. Point taken. Nope John Outlaw Jr. is not 6'9 with arms longer than a giraffe's neck. He was/is the better SKILLED basketball player between the two. Something I despise about the NBA is showing in this thread. Same reason players like Walter Sharpe get drafted and the Chris Lofton's of the world don't. Ask Travis whose better and he'll say Jr.. Ask daddy whose better and he'll say Jr.. Have Travis and Jr. play 10 games of 1v1 and Jr. would win 10 out of 10 times. Yet Travis lands the NBA job and keeps one for 12+ years because he's 6'9, jumps out the ****ing gym and has arms longer than a Stansbury vs Ray thread.

slickdawg
02-28-2014, 07:49 AM
Renardo Sidney was definitely a game changer. **

Michael Oyfesobi and Khalil Nash too. ***

Dawgface
02-28-2014, 07:56 AM
I know nothing about Travis Outlaw or much about the NBA anymore. Lost interest a long time ago. But there is no way this guy hangs on for 12 years making millions of dollars if he has no talent. Any player good enough to do that would have been more than welcome to play for MSU.

Rick Danko
02-28-2014, 08:11 AM
Boy this thread quickly went to shit from the OP

Dawg61
02-28-2014, 08:53 AM
Boy this thread quickly went to shit from the OP

Yea next time I'll we aware of the Travis Outlaw love. My bad.

RBritt
02-28-2014, 09:20 AM
Khalil and ofakissabebe were terrible!

Brad Stevens
02-28-2014, 09:23 AM
Yea next time I'll we aware of the Travis Outlaw love. My bad.

Don't you get it? You're the one that made this thread awful. Coach made a good statement about how one player can change a team and/or program. Someone commented about how much Outlaw or Ellis could have made a difference for us. You said he blows. Your attention span and/or IQ isn't capable of following a conversation for more than one thought. That, or you are the best troll in MSU history since you say stupid stuff constantly, without fail.

Johnson85
02-28-2014, 10:03 AM

Bender would have been better at MSU. I doubt Bender would have been as good as Outlaw even if his knees held up, but Outlaw would have been frustrating as hell to have. I think he would have been Tommy Kelly on the basketball court. Dominating one play and loafing the next.

Dawg61
02-28-2014, 10:10 AM
Don't you get it? You're the one that made this thread awful. Coach made a good statement about how one player can change a team and/or program. Someone commented about how much Outlaw or Ellis could have made a difference for us. You said he blows. Your attention span and/or IQ isn't capable of following a conversation for more than one thought. That, or you are the best troll in MSU history since you say stupid stuff constantly, without fail.

Yea you're right Brad you've added so much to this thread. Thanks