PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who know the NCAA Rules: CJ Johnson

bannedwayne
02-27-2014, 10:08 AM
I saw that the NCAA gave him a medical redshirt.

From my understanding of the rules, to get a medical redshirt a player can not play in more than 30% team's games (without counting bowl games). If that is the case, CJ played in 33% of the games (4/12), so how does this work? Am I misinterpreting the rules?

I'm not looking for the "duh, cheatin' bearsharks" answer, I'm trying to figure out the NCAA rule here.

Boodawg
02-27-2014, 10:28 AM
I believe that is what the rule states, as well as, the injury must come before mid-season. Of course, I don't remember the last time someone asked for a med redshirt and didn't get it.

starkvegasdawg
02-27-2014, 10:33 AM
My guess is that four games is the closest to the 30% threshold so the NCAA just lets that be the unofficial cutoff and never bothered updating the rulebook. On the old 11 game season 3 games would be 27% and 4 games 36%.

bgover4
02-27-2014, 11:02 AM
I was under the impression you couldn't apply for the medical redshirt until your eligibility has been exhausted.

RougeDawg
02-27-2014, 11:03 AM
Yes, according to the NCAA it is legal for CJ to accept 30k in furniture donations for his letter of intent.... Wait what ruling are you talking about?

I'm glad this rented mule got another year. Just assures he will get to see Dak roll the Beavs one more year and make him wish he never took the furniture and Silverado.

scottycameron
02-27-2014, 11:56 AM
I saw that the NCAA gave him a medical redshirt.

From my understanding of the rules, to get a medical redshirt a player can not play in more than 30% team's games (without counting bowl games). If that is the case, CJ played in 33% of the games (4/12), so how does this work? Am I misinterpreting the rules?

I'm not looking for the "duh, cheatin' bearsharks" answer, I'm trying to figure out the NCAA rule here.

It's done by quarters, not games. And you round down. I remember this being discussed on here or on Jean's. He barely made it under the maximum number of quarters played.

jeremyrbrown
02-27-2014, 12:01 PM
Good news. He gets to lose to us again.

smootness
02-27-2014, 12:06 PM
I was under the impression you couldn't apply for the medical redshirt until your eligibility has been exhausted.

This...don't understand how he's already been awarded the extra year.

dawgoneyall
02-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Correct

justwin
02-27-2014, 12:35 PM
So we're a lock for hughes & Malone to get medical redshirts?

thedawg
02-27-2014, 12:37 PM
Yes we are a lock on those two and Dee Arrington too

Homedawg
02-27-2014, 12:55 PM
This...don't understand how he's already been awarded the extra year.

No. You can only apply for a medical hardship year, I.e. 6th year, after your eligibility is over. This is a medical redshirt that you gain when it happens. Just like we did for jiles. These two are often confused but not the same thing.

Jack Lambert
02-27-2014, 01:00 PM
They are the NCAA and they applied their rules as and how they see fit.

scottycameron
02-27-2014, 01:17 PM
No. You can only apply for a medical hardship year, I.e. 6th year, after your eligibility is over. This is a medical redshirt that you gain when it happens. Just like we did for jiles. These two are often confused but not the same thing.

Exactly. People always are getting confused with the med. RS and the med. 6th year. This wears message board folks out. It's like math to a D1 recruit.

Homedawg
02-27-2014, 01:21 PM
Exactly. People always are getting confused with the med. RS and the med. 6th year. This wears message board folks out. It's like math to a D1 recruit.

True. Just like dead period. It doesn't mean you can't talk to a recruit. You just can't see them in person. But that will send people over the edge when they hear someone was contacted during the dead period.

AFDawg
02-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Does this mean he gets another lanyard as well?

Martianlander
02-27-2014, 03:10 PM
Does the $30,000 in furniture and the vehicle cover the extra year or does he get more?

smootness
02-27-2014, 03:14 PM

I got you, thanks. Wasn't even thinking about that.

Johnson85
02-27-2014, 03:28 PM

So basically if you already redshirted, a medical redshirt is no longer available and you have to hope for a medical hardship year?

bannedwayne
02-27-2014, 03:35 PM
It's done by quarters, not games. And you round down. I remember this being discussed on here or on Jean's. He barely made it under the maximum number of quarters played.

Thank you, that makes sense then.

Bo Darville
02-27-2014, 09:47 PM
So basically if you already redshirted, a medical redshirt is no longer available and you have to hope for a medical hardship year?

Exactly. Jay Hughes and Justin Malone must exhaust their eligibility, then request the 6th year. They had already redshirted. But since Jiles got hurt but had not redshirted, he could go ahead and get the medical redshirt.