PDA

View Full Version : Knox & STs

justwin
02-26-2014, 01:40 PM
the more I think about this, the more I think he's probably the right guy for the job of the current staff.

If MSU wasn't going to hire a FT ST coach, then I think Knox is the best choice for 3 reasons:

1. He coaches the most talented group on the roster with the least personnel. It's not like it's hard to coach our RBs...just give them the ball & teach them to block. I don't know if he or Mullen was responsible for personnel usage w Perks the last 2 years, but by default that silliness of running the 5'7 RB inside repeatedly is done going forward.

2. He seems like he has a hard nose style and preaches repetition. I saw a video of him in the practice rooms and he kept saying the same thing over and over and over...so that's probably what our place kickers need...someone constantly hammering home "accuracy" or "aim for the middle of the uprights" yada yada. I'm thinking the place kickers probably need a more tough, militant coach barking at them and keeping their thoughts as simple and focused as possible.

3. I think he's going to find a way to get Holloway more involved on the kick return game since he's coached him directly at RB. Holloway can't catch for shit, but he should return 90% of all of the Kickoffs as he'd take a few to the house.

Beyond placekicking, our STs are good enough for us to win any game.

Homedawg
02-26-2014, 01:42 PM
Don't let the title fool you. He isn't going to run every special teams. Our staff will still have responsibilities w different ones. For example, hev will run the field goal team(blocking). Knox isn't a special teams coordinator like they have in the nfl.