PDA

View Full Version : David Johnson spin machine

Dirtbagdawg
02-26-2014, 10:02 AM
Here is what David had to say about Mississippi's 2015 class.

***While some schools are piling up the 2015 commitments early in the process, Ole Miss is not.The Rebels have three commitments in their 2015 class, which is currently ranked No. 29 on the 247Sports Composite team rankings board. By comparison, instate SEC rival Mississippi State already has nine commitments in its 2015 class, which is ranked No. 6 in the 247Sports Composite.That alone is enough to make many Ole Miss fans fret when, in fact, it shouldn?t be.First and foremost, this will be a small class for the Rebels in 2015. While the state of Mississippi is loaded with talented players in this cycle, the reality is that Ole Miss has 17 spots for the 2015 class, and even with attrition factored into the equation, that number isn?t likely to grow beyond 20. This Ole Miss class once again will likely be populated with a healthy dose of out-of-staters, as well, limiting the number of instate takes and gets.

maroonmania
02-26-2014, 10:08 AM
Actually its sounds like almost the verbatim spin all of our recruiting guys regurgitated constantly about our 2014 class.

engie
02-26-2014, 10:14 AM
Yeah, I'm not really seeing any spin to that one.

I came in expecting a Yancyish "the class of 2015 is overrated" post. He instead concedes that there is talent, but that they have limited room available, and it's not time to freak out yet. All of which, I agree with in their shoes -- and exactly how I would expect Paul to play it.

That said, the part they have to be actually freaking out about a little bit is not "where the classes are right now" but "what it appears that we lead for"...

Dirtbagdawg
02-26-2014, 10:22 AM
I thought the majority of his post was fine, until the part about how
The 2015 class would consist of mostly out of state guys. It kinda came off like
they were focusing more on out of state guys more so than in state guys. Maybe I'm
Wrong, just thought it was interesting.

engie
02-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Which is probably true by their overall actions.

Part of recruiting is identifying winnable battles and fighting those -- instead of just fighting the losing ones. There are only a handful of prospects in MS that they lead for right now -- some of which are more "camp offer" type guys.

I think they've made a mistake on Spivey. Alot of talk that getting him is the key to getting Jamal Peters -- and he was considered an OM fan on the front end, but has been slow-played by them, in which time he's been to BOTH JR days at MSU and seems to love us now -- a door that probably never gets opened if they offer early. And they still haven't offered yet.

Fact is -- if their class is 17-20 overall, that is room for 7-10 Mississippi kids. You won't be seeing the package deals they've put together in the first couple of years under Freeze. Simply don't have the room.

bannedwayne
02-26-2014, 10:41 AM
What's the reason for 17-20 guys only?

mjh94
02-26-2014, 10:47 AM
you can't max your 25 LOI's over a 4 year period. that's equals 100 scholarships. NCAA only allows 85. attrition, graduating seniors, juniors leaving for the draft all equate to the low number of potential signees a program may have every 3 to 4 years

What's the reason for 17-20 guys only?

ShotgunDawg
02-26-2014, 10:47 AM
That said, the part they have to be actually freaking out about a little bit is not "where the classes are right now" but "what it appears that we lead for"...

THIS

Right now, in addition to what we already have, you could probably consider Malik Dear, Fletcher Adams, Tommy Champion, and Alec Murphy commitments to some degree.

Then on the next tier you throw in Jamal Peters, J'Mar Smith, and Spivey who we may lead for.

Then on the 3rd tier you throw in Patterson and Leo Lewis, with Patterson being a wild card but OM's best shot, and Leo Lewis being a wild card that isn't considering OM.

fishwater99
02-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Because they sign and place guys every year that don't qualify. It inflates their ratings and now they are close to being maxed out on scholarships.

Coach34
02-26-2014, 11:06 AM
Freezus is a helluva recruiter- they have quickly gone from "only 58 scholarship players" to only signing 17 this coming February

regdawg18
02-26-2014, 11:10 AM
It should be noted that MSU took a small class last year BECAUSE 2015 is loaded with talent. We did this on purpose. We could have taken a lot of kids but we didn't so we could load up on the quality talent available in 2015. The TSUN coaching staff should have known this.

bannedwayne
02-26-2014, 11:16 AM
I was under the impression that as long as a school doesn't have 85 scholarship players, they could sign up to 25 in a class. Wouldn't attrition or sign and place not count against the 85 number? Am I completely off base?

UMCDawg16
02-26-2014, 11:24 AM
I don't see that post as spin, I see it more as an excuse as to why we will out recruit them this year. Not only will they not get the quality in-state players they want, they also will have a small class which will make their ranking even lower. They know this is our year in recruiting and it happens to fall on the year that has the best in-state talent in recent memory.

engie
02-26-2014, 11:26 AM
I was under the impression that as long as a school doesn't have 85 scholarship players, they could sign up to 25 in a class. Wouldn't attrition or sign and place not count against the 85 number? Am I completely off base?

This is my understanding as well.

You can sign up to 25 in a class regardless. It becomes an ethical question what you do that relative to the 85 number and with placements...

Coach34
02-26-2014, 11:39 AM
you have to be at 85 starting the Fall...so if there is some oversigning- somebody is going to get processed

MadDawg
02-26-2014, 11:45 AM
Freezus is a helluva recruiter- they have quickly gone from "only 58 scholarship players" to only signing 17 this coming February

I thought the same thing.

Dawg61
02-26-2014, 11:45 AM
you can't max your 25 LOI's over a 4 year period. that's equals 100 scholarships. NCAA only allows 85. attrition, graduating seniors, juniors leaving for the draft all equate to the low number of potential signees a program may have every 3 to 4 years

You can max 25 every year. You just have to trim your fat if you've been lucky enough to not have enough healthy turnover, drop outs, transfers etc..

mic
02-26-2014, 05:50 PM
Its very much a spin cycle for Mr. DJ
With this being the richest talent MS has had in years, you would think the mighty Rebs cold pick and choose who they wanted. There will be players in the 10-15 rankings this year that may have been top 5 talent in last years class... Example.. Timothy Washington 4* MSU commit that might end up outside the top 10 this year where as last year he may have ended up in top 5. There could possibly be four 5* kids in this class. Maybe even more. So there is plenty enough of talent in state for the Rebs to fill there 17 -20 man commit list with in home kids. The problem is as of today not many of these kids want to go there and we are whipping that ass right now with the in state guys.. That's the spin Mr. DJ is rolling with.
And its very possible OM has a little more attrition and open spots for next year than they want..

Mr. DJ is becoming very predictable. You just have to go back to the article he did with the Law's kid mother. Which we all feel was in direct response to the FACTS that were posted here. Which I think he titled as the Real Facts on the law Situation.. Article comes out around 10am making it sound like the kid was so confused and OM was where they all thought he was going and how great the OM staff and how she lives with her son and never met the Utah coaches... blah blah blah. Only to have to post about 5 hours later the OM compliance and football program was letting Law decide what he wants to do and if he feels Utah was best for him they would back off.. If Mr.24/7 wanted to get to the bottom of the story maybe he should have interviewed the law kid himself and not the mom who apparently was already expecting a "Thank You " envelope from OM..

Political Hack
02-26-2014, 06:55 PM
loosen the noose guys. he's just trying to rope in the congregation and share the love.

Dirtbagdawg
02-26-2014, 07:24 PM
I'm not sure who's more pathetic. Yancy or David. Yancy said on the radio
a couple of days ago that this year wouldn't be like the past years with Ole Miss "cherry picking"
the state. He then went on to say the same thing that David said about targeting more out of
state prospects this year.

Bass Chaser
02-26-2014, 08:08 PM
I think this fire we see now will be a 5-alarm fire by 2015 signing day. It will smolder throughout the season then grow when they get beat at home in the Egg Bowl. The 5-alarm fire will come on signing day when their class is ranked mid to high 30s and we sign a top 20 or better class.

The spin machine will be epic.

sbcmortgageman
02-26-2014, 08:21 PM
I don't see spin. I see him conceding that they are getting it handed to them in the 2015 in state recruiting trail.

Coach34
02-26-2014, 08:36 PM
They will still have a top 25 class- but they are gonna lose the state...which is very telling considering how deep in talent it is this year

Coach34
02-26-2014, 08:38 PM
unless all their racism problems continue to cost them throughout the year that is

Bass Chaser
02-26-2014, 09:09 PM
They will still have a top 25 class- but they are gonna lose the state...which is very telling considering how deep in talent it is this year

They won't have a top 25 class only signing 20.

Dirtbagdawg
02-26-2014, 09:11 PM

Wanna bet?

Coach34
02-26-2014, 09:24 PM
They won't have a top 25 class only signing 20.

I bet their star rating is Top 25