PDA

View Full Version : Thoughtless? Just Thoughtless?

notsofarawaydawg
02-26-2014, 09:15 AM
I follow many sites vis RSS and one is the blog Jackson Jambalaya. What you see below was one of the articles in the RSS feed this morning but when I clicked on the link to go to the article it had been removed. Read below.

Jackson Jambalaya ?by Kingfish (noreply@blogger.com)?6:08 am

Everyone has heard about the noose placed on the statue of James Meredith at Ole Miss. The feds are a'comin', the students are thrown out of school, and the frat was suspended. Check out how Ole Miss treated a similar incident 12 years ago. The Clarion-Ledger reported in 2002:

Black Students Allegedly Behind Racist Graffiti

By Andy Kanengiser
akanengiser@clarionledger.com

Three African-American students at the University of Mississippi have been accused of writing racist graffiti on doors outside rooms of two other black students in the Kincannon residence hall on the Oxford campus.

The students, all freshmen, wrote vulgar and obscene messages at three other locations in the dorm.

They will face a University Judicial Council hearing when classes resume in January, Ole Miss officials said Wednesday.

If they are found guilty, their punishments could be reprimands, community service, suspension or expulsion. They can appeal.

A fourth African-American student also is being investigated in connection with the incident, Ole Miss Communications Director Jeff Alford said.

Ole Miss officials refused to release names of the students, citing privacy laws.

Each freshman was charged with five violations of the student code of conduct in connection with the Nov. 6 incident, Ole Miss officials said.

The students told school officials they were playing a prank on acquaintances.

?It was thoughtless on their part,? Ole Miss Chancellor Robert Khayat said. ?We don?t condone abusive behavior of any kind. They should apologize.? (KF note: I can hear it now: Ole Bob singing "just a couple of boys, just a meanin' no harm....")

The fact that the students are African Americans ?doesn?t excuse their behavior,? Khayat said.

The incident received statewide and national publicity and came at a time when the university was commemorating the admittance of its first black student, James Meredith, in 1962.

Ole Miss received ?a lot of unjust criticism,? said student body President Drew Snyder, 21, of Madison.

Snyder said he hopes the Judicial Council will ?punish the students to the fullest extent, regardless of race.?

?It is harassment, plain and simple.?

The students were charged with flagrant disrespect of a member of the university community, harassment/disorderly conduct, vandalism, disregard for university authority and abuse of the university judicial system.

The last two charges were related to the students allegedly making false and misleading statements to investigators.

End of CL article

Ole Miss will not pursue criminal charges, Khayat said. The students caused $600 damage to the dorm, including cleaning costs and repair of doors.
Is the Kingfish engaging in some binary thinking? Not really. The Kingfish is demanding some consistency. The Kingfish has no problem throwing out the three students. who performed that little act on the statue. He just wishes the school had treated the students in the 2002 incident in the same manner. If nothing else, Dan Jones owes an apology for the school's lax treatment of those students 12 years ago.

bannedwayne
02-26-2014, 09:22 AM
This looks like a similar response from OM this time around, albeit without the $25,000 reward to catch the perpetrators (if I remember correctly they caught these guys pretty quickly).

OM isn't pressing criminal charges in the Meredith incident, just student judicial charges (as in the 2002 case). The students haven't been thrown out of school (as in the 2002 case). The fraternity was suspended by the national chapter, not the university. The Feds came to investigate a potential hate crime (which seems likely they won't pursue).

Frankly, I don't see what you are getting at.

mstatefan91
02-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Ok? TSUN doing TSUN things.

notsofarawaydawg
02-26-2014, 09:39 AM
This looks like a similar response from OM this time around, albeit without the $25,000 reward to catch the perpetrators (if I remember correctly they caught these guys pretty quickly).

OM isn't pressing criminal charges in the Meredith incident, just student judicial charges (as in the 2002 case). The students haven't been thrown out of school (as in the 2002 case). The fraternity was suspended by the national chapter, not the university. The Feds came to investigate a potential hate crime (which seems likely they won't pursue).

Frankly, I don't see what you are getting at.

I'm not getting at anything. Just funny that the blog entry was pulled down less than two hours after it was posted. Do you always sympathize with the Bears?

bannedwayne
02-26-2014, 09:43 AM
Nope, but I always try to call people out for bullshit. There's a difference between sympathy and fact.

EDIT: The post is back up on JJ. I apologize, I thought the italics were his and everything else was yours. I now see that nearly everything you posted was written by JJ. The bullshit is JJ's, not yours.

PassInterference
02-26-2014, 10:03 AM
The uneven handling of race issues is surely going to make things better over there.**