PDA

View Full Version : did cohen say...

preachermatt83
02-26-2014, 12:01 AM
we may not play tomorrow because it's going to be .... cold? Really, I mean what are the teams up north gonna do? , Cancel every game until april? I mean c'mon 25 degrees I could see but 39 degrees.. we have played in colder.... Can ya tell I just wanna watch some baseball? haha!

messageboardsuperhero
02-26-2014, 12:20 AM
I wouldn't mind canceling tomorrow's game and replacing it later with a team that has a better RPI. There's no sense in playing multiple games against teams in the 250 range if you don't have to- in all honesty, with the way RPI currently punishes you for playing those games, I wish we wouldn't schedule teams like MSM and Alcorn in the first place.

RPI is name of the game with regards to hosting, and Cohen knows this. It's even MORE important to us now, since the way we've played so far gives us very little room for error from here on out.

ETA: And this is what screwed Arkansas last year, even moreso than the early season loses. They scheduled 10 games against teams with an RPI of around 250 or worse. With the amount of emphasis that the current RPI system puts on SOS, scheduling like that in the non conference really weighs you down and almost totally ruins any chance you have of hosting a regional.

This is why I'd like to see us drop these type of 250+ RPI deadweight teams and schedule other teams in the non conference that we still should beat- but without hurting our RPI and hosting chances in the process.

CJDAWG85
02-26-2014, 12:41 AM
25 degrees and soaking wet is not fun baseball. With all of the games that will be played this weekend, it may not be good for the field to play on it tomorrow.

DCdawg
02-26-2014, 01:53 AM
And with the loss of Shelly and Young(possibly), we need to have our best ready this weekend. Especially if a few of the starters go >5 innings a piece.

Dawgface
02-26-2014, 07:21 AM
I played golf yesterday. I'm sure not playing today. Too cold to get the old body moving. I doubt the young guys want to play baseball either.

level set
02-26-2014, 09:46 AM
It's not worth the risk of injury to our pitchers. Hard to keep an arm warm in the 30's with a stiff north wind.

Johnson85
02-26-2014, 09:58 AM
I wouldn't mind canceling tomorrow's game and replacing it later with a team that has a better RPI. There's no sense in playing multiple games against teams in the 250 range if you don't have to- in all honesty, with the way RPI currently punishes you for playing those games, I wish we wouldn't schedule teams like MSM and Alcorn in the first place.

RPI is name of the game with regards to hosting, and Cohen knows this. It's even MORE important to us now, since the way we've played so far gives us very little room for error from here on out.

ETA: And this is what screwed Arkansas last year, even moreso than the early season loses. They scheduled 10 games against teams with an RPI of around 250 or worse. With the amount of emphasis that the current RPI system puts on SOS, scheduling like that in the non conference really weighs you down and almost totally ruins any chance you have of hosting a regional.

This is why I'd like to see us drop these type of 250+ RPI deadweight teams and schedule other teams in the non conference that we still should beat- but without hurting our RPI and hosting chances in the process.

They really need to do something to drop the penalty against bad RPI teams. Those teams need affordable games and teams shouldn't be punished for giving it to them. After determing RPI, could the RPI then be recalculated by dropping the 6 games against the worst RPI teams? That would give two series or one series and some mid-week games to play terrible schools without getting hammered.

ghostofjackie
02-26-2014, 10:22 AM
We need to pick up another mid week game against Memphis. We already missed one game in the first weekend. Even if we have to travel to Memphis on a Wednesday I would not mind playing them again. I think they will end up being a pretty good RPI team this year.

Esmerelda Villalobos
02-26-2014, 02:00 PM
They are still playing today