PDA

View Full Version : Most impressive thing about last year's freshman class...

smootness
02-25-2014, 10:23 PM
The two guys considered the most 'raw' coming in were the two most impressive guys who made the biggest impact. Chris Jones and De'Runnya Wilson will both be absolutely as good as they want to be. They had both played less football than most and were said to be behind in technique and would probably need time to adapt to the next level...yet they were both about as good as any true freshmen we've had.

Crazy to think about, and yet another reason to be extremely excited for the future. We have every reason to believe they've both only scratched the surface of how good they can be. Scary.

tcdog70
02-25-2014, 10:25 PM
Smoot, I agree 100%

Dawghouse
02-26-2014, 10:10 AM
I have a confession to make. I went to watch Chris Jones play a game in HS and wasn't overly impressed. Yes he was huge compared to everyone else on the field and yes he was bullying his way into the backfield but he looked really out of shape and the other team was able to just run away from his side most of the game. Not in my wildest dreams did I expect him to make an impact his first year. I thought he'd need a full year of S&C plus coaching before he would contribute.

I'm admittedly not a scout and will readily eat crow. I'm just glad I never voiced my opinion publicly (until now).

Dirtbagdawg
02-26-2014, 10:27 AM
To go along with these two, I'm ready to see how shump develops over
The offseason. Nothing against Perkins but I'm glad we have two downhill runners (Robinson, shump)
Who are going to fight to get that extra yard.

Coach34
02-26-2014, 10:46 AM
I didnt think Jones would have the year he did either...that was a great surprise

I damn sure am looking forward to a more physical running game

tcdog70
02-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Coach Turner, was a great addition to our Staff. Our DL will be a force.

DCdawg
02-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Speaking of DL, I saw PJ Jones on campus today. He's still in a boot, but the last time I saw him he was on crutches so he must be recovering on schedule.

Coach34
02-26-2014, 12:52 PM
he's got 6 months till kickoff- he should be good to go

chef dixon
02-26-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm going to hold my thoughts on Wilson until I see him play this season. Yes, he's raw, and yes, he made some good plays last year. Not saying he won't turn into a beast, but with or our track record at receiver I'm not as surefire optimistic about it as most seem.

Chris Jones, yea he is dirty, no question about it.

justwin
02-26-2014, 01:27 PM
To me, Most impressive was the qb Williams. Just proves that we never should've redshirted Russell.

Jones probably played 1/3 snaps of kimchee and had more production.

Most unimpressive was Ross. Not Bc of talent but would've thought he would've gotten 30+ receptions due to pedigree. I think he got hurt though

Raytoraid83
02-26-2014, 01:41 PM
To me, Most impressive was the qb Williams. Just proves that we never should've redshirted Russell.

Jones probably played 1/3 snaps of kimchee and had more production.

Most unimpressive was Ross. Not Bc of talent but would've thought he would've gotten 30+ receptions due to pedigree. I think he got hurt though
If Ross' collarbone is fully healed and he gets a full spring in, I think he'll make a big jump this year.

BeardoMSU
02-26-2014, 01:50 PM
Seems fairly appropriate....
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/assets/3652057/Chris-Jones-Landshark.gif
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/assets/3652097/JonesNkemdiche.gif
http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_images/2013/11/10/BulldogsWRPass.gif

War Machine Dawg
02-26-2014, 01:54 PM
I just noticed this, but in the 2nd GIF where CJ makes the tackle on Big Kimdeechee, the guy that really made that play happen is Kaleb Eulls. He absolutely blew up the BearShark LG and drove him about 6 yards into the backfield, which created the hole for CJ to come through and get the stop. Dunno why he gets such a bad rap, but Eulls is a very good DT.

SignalToNoise
02-26-2014, 01:58 PM
WMD, that and BMac taking their FB head on. Great work by all those guys.

Edit: I Keep watching it over and over. Their OL just plain got whipped on that play.

gtowndawg
02-26-2014, 02:03 PM
I just noticed this, but in the 2nd GIF where CJ makes the tackle on Big Kimdeechee, the guy that really made that play happen is Kaleb Eulls. He absolutely blew up the BearShark LG and drove him about 6 yards into the backfield, which created the hole for CJ to come through and get the stop. Dunno why he gets such a bad rap, but Eulls is a very good DT.

McKinney. It's like he ran into a wall.

gtowndawg
02-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Kimchee was running to that hole but McKinney filled it so quick he had to bounce outside.

BeardoMSU
02-26-2014, 02:09 PM
Our D is gonna be legit next year.

War Machine Dawg
02-26-2014, 02:29 PM

McKinney gets a lot of credit, too. Honestly, there's so much going on with that play I could watch it all day. We just totally whipped them up front.

Pollodawg
02-26-2014, 02:33 PM

That was awesome. I bet McKinney was thinkin, "How did we lose to these shmucks last year? Need to hit them Wheaties, son.

Pollodawg
02-26-2014, 02:35 PM
That O line got whipped that whole game, man. It wasn't one play.

Johnson85
02-26-2014, 02:41 PM

I don't think anybody bashed Eulls as a DT. I think he was criticized for not being fast enough to contain outside runs as a DE. I think he was playing out of position because we were solid inside and did not have good options at the end

Coach34
02-26-2014, 03:04 PM
Turner gets alot of credit for the work he did with those guys. Granted, he has some talent to work with, but our guys are very good technique-wise.

If we play Jones, James, Eulls, and Smith as the starting DL- holy shit....where are teams going to run?

GreenheadDawg
02-26-2014, 05:09 PM
Turner gets alot of credit for the work he did with those guys. Granted, he has some talent to work with, but our guys are very good technique-wise.

If we play Jones, James, Eulls, and Smith as the starting DL- holy shit....where are teams going to run?

So true. I saw James twice in high school and he was by far the most athletic DL I had ever seen in high school. If he keeps progressing and working hard out Dline will be the best in the SEC. I also saw Leo Lewis this past season and was equally impressed. I hope we can keep him in-state. If all the stars align for our season and recruiting...... could be epic