PDA

View Full Version : Haven't seen any mention of Donte Moncrief at the combine.....

Goat Holder
02-25-2014, 07:22 PM
Dude ran a 4.40 and as a 221 lb. WR, that's freaking smokin'. No wonder he was so damn hard to cover. That's sneaky speed, because he doesn't appear that fast. Ole Miss is going to miss him more than they can ever imagine. Glad he's gone. Let their sheep go on thinking Treadwell is going to take his place - I don't think Treadwell has those type measurables though.

RossDawg82
02-25-2014, 07:36 PM
Yeah but how many times did treadwell stretch the field? Hardly ever. That was moncriefs MO

Goat Holder
02-25-2014, 07:39 PM
Agreed, speed kills. Mike Wallace did the same for them in 2008. Wish we could recruit one of those once in a while.

CadaverDawg
02-25-2014, 07:44 PM
Matt Millen say Treadwell is unguardable though.***

ETA: and he told us 1,541 times in every OM game he called

Dallas_Dawg
02-25-2014, 07:46 PM
Yeah, Moncrief is going to probably drop to the second round due to WR depth this year but somebody is gonna get a steal.
Glad we don't have to face that guy any longer

Dawg61
02-25-2014, 07:49 PM
Agreed, speed kills. Mike Wallace did the same for them in 2008. Wish we could recruit one of those once in a while.

One of the eleven WR Mullen has signed/committed has got to have break away speed. Holloway has it just can't catch for shit.

Schultzy
02-25-2014, 07:56 PM
Dontea does. Hopefully Featherstone Holloway learns how to catch. DeRunnya is physical on the deep ball which can lead to some td's.

I say Dontea Jones is the best recruit in Mississippi this year. We need OL's like Patterson but Jones is incredible.

ETA: Moncrief was stuck in an offense with a rag arm for a qb. One bad hit next year and he'll be short arming again. Doesn't matter with Treadwell bc he's just an above average possession receiver anyway. Can't get deep.

defiantdog
02-25-2014, 08:51 PM
One of the eleven WR Mullen has signed/committed has got to have break away speed. Holloway has it just can't catch for shit.

Hmmmm.... Fred Ross is fast, Shelby Christy is on the damn track team, I'm pretty sure Fred Brown can stretch a field if he's involved in more than 4 plays a game, and then we got Jameon who's shifty as hell. We have speed, but we're a run first spread offense. We basically stretch the field to open the run game. It's very difficult for a receiver to be that productive in the deep ball in our offense.

bannedwayne
02-25-2014, 09:21 PM
Dude ran a 4.40 and as a 221 lb. WR, that's freaking smokin'. No wonder he was so damn hard to cover. That's sneaky speed, because he doesn't appear that fast. Ole Miss is going to miss him more than they can ever imagine. Glad he's gone. Let their sheep go on thinking Treadwell is going to take his place - I don't think Treadwell has those type measurables though.

Is a scary athlete - he wasn't used to his full potential because he didn't have a guy to throw the deep ball with accuracy. But when they connected, he was gone.

If memory serves me correct, he had a few huge drops for them this year. His hands will knock him down in the draft, but he demands coverage.

Treadwell had the advantage of getting no. 2 coverage all year. It's hard to evaluate him because of that. He's good, but we'll see what he does in the next couple of years.

Goat Holder
02-25-2014, 09:22 PM
You are wrong. Are we a run first spread team? Sure. Most teams are run first. It's a matter of stretching the field or not. If you have a guy who can get open, then it happens. If you don't, it won't. It's not a coaching scheme

Bass Chaser
02-25-2014, 09:31 PM
Interesting that Moncrief was mentioned on the Bo Bounds show this morning by Huegenin (sp?). Hueginin basically said he has talent but he needs a good WR coach at the next level because Moncrief is so raw. Needs improvement on route running. Draft is loaded at WR and he is probably a 3rd round guy.

CadaverDawg
02-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Interesting that Moncrief was mentioned on the Bo Bounds show this morning by Huegenin (sp?). Hueginin basically said he has talent but he needs a good WR coach at the next level because Moncrief is so raw. Needs improvement on route running. Draft is loaded at WR and he is probably a 3rd round guy.

So after 4 years at OM, Moncrief is still "raw" and "needs a good WR coach"? Sounds like recruiting material to me. More proof that Freeze and Co. can't develop talent.

shoeless joe
02-25-2014, 10:44 PM
As a saints fan I hope they draft him. With Banks playing for a division rival they'll have no problem utilizing him against the bucs!

War Machine Dawg
02-25-2014, 10:49 PM
As a saints fan I hope they draft him. With Banks playing for a division rival they'll have no problem utilizing him against the bucs!

Yeah, cause the 1 year Banks was playing with a bad knee is a good indication of whether or not he can cover Moncrief.

War Machine Dawg
02-25-2014, 10:51 PM
So after 4 years at OM, Moncrief is still "raw" and "needs a good WR coach"? Sounds like recruiting material to me. More proof that Freeze and Co. can't develop talent.

Absolutely. It should be hammered into the heads of croots that if you go to TSUN, they won't develop you well enough for a high Draft grade.

Coach34
02-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Moncrief was a 3 yr guy

fishwater99
02-26-2014, 10:34 AM
I think his 40 speed moved him up to the 2nd round. It will be hard for teams to let him slip into the 3rd.

tcdog70
02-26-2014, 12:52 PM
if I needed a WR I would draft Him. he is another Wallace.

Dawg61
02-26-2014, 01:03 PM
Moncrief is rated the #15 WR right now. He ain't going in the 2nd round.

chef dixon
02-26-2014, 03:02 PM
Just because Ole Miss didn't try to get Treadwell deep doesn't mean he can't do it. I'm not excited about having to deal with Treadwell for the next 2 seasons at least. You can say he didn't do anything against us this year, yea well neither did Moncrief whom everyone is praising in this thread. Ole Miss has talent at the WR position, you can't deny that. What limits them is their quarterback and OL are average at best, and their running game is pretty pathetic.

codeDawg
02-26-2014, 03:18 PM
Just because Ole Miss didn't try to get Treadwell deep doesn't mean he can't do it. I'm not excited about having to deal with Treadwell for the next 2 seasons at least. You can say he didn't do anything against us this year, yea well neither did Moncrief whom everyone is praising in this thread. Ole Miss has talent at the WR position, you can't deny that. What limits them is their quarterback and OL are average at best, and their running game is pretty pathetic.

Bingo. No sense in running a 30+ yard route if your QB can't get it there, the OL can't block for that long, and the lack of a power run game takes away play action.

Goat Holder
02-26-2014, 04:03 PM
Who cares what either of them did last year against us? They've done it before, we all realize that. And Wallace can definitely get the job done, he's proven that over 2 seasons. Anybody thinking that they suck is stupid.

My point was that Moncrief was the star of that team. He opened things up. Hell he opened things up in 2011 when Randall freaking Mackey was their QB. I don't think Treadwell is as good as Moncrief, and watched more than just the Egg Bowl.

Johnson85
02-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Hmmmm.... Fred Ross is fast, Shelby Christy is on the damn track team, I'm pretty sure Fred Brown can stretch a field if he's involved in more than 4 plays a game, and then we got Jameon who's shifty as hell. We have speed, but we're a run first spread offense. We basically stretch the field to open the run game. It's very difficult for a receiver to be that productive in the deep ball in our offense.

If any of them had the ability to stretch the field last year, we would have seen it. We had two qb's to get it to them and it would have made things immensely easier on the run game and the short passing game if defenses had to respect the deep route against us.

I think Wilson has the size and athleticism to fight for jump balls, so he should help a lot on one side now that he has another year under his belt. Hopefully one of the young tall guys steps up and gives us a deep threat on the other side of the field.

Johnson85
02-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Who cares what either of them did last year against us? They've done it before, we all realize that. And Wallace can definitely get the job done, he's proven that over 2 seasons. Anybody thinking that they suck is stupid.

My point was that Moncrief was the star of that team. He opened things up. Hell he opened things up in 2011 when Randall freaking Mackey was their QB. I don't think Treadwell is as good as Moncrief, and watched more than just the Egg Bowl.

Wallace can sort of get the job done. He's pretty good everywhere except for arm strength and protecting the ball, although the turnover thing might be tied to Freeze's offense. He's always going to be a significant limitation on their offense because he takes away the deep ball, just like our lack of deep threat at WR has done to us the past few years.

I definitely agree that Moncrief as a sophomore and junior was better than Treadwell as a freshman. I still expect any true freshman that is solid in the SEC to have the potential to be dangerous later on.

Goat Holder
02-26-2014, 04:43 PM
Moncrief dominated as a freshman too. He was literally ALL they had. About the only scoring they did was throwing hail marys to him. And while his stats weren't quite as good as Treadwell's, you have to consider that he was playing on a 2-10 team while Treadwell played on a 7-5 team and supposedly a better offensive scheme. If I had to get right down to it.....I might would say Moncrief was just as good as Treadwell as a freshman.

I personally think Wallace was a 2 game minimum factor for them the past two years. He can run too you know. That hate that people throw on him is ridiculous. And I've seen him complete the deep ball a few times. Now, the injury last year might be something to factor in, I don't know. And he does turn it over. But turnovers often plague spread/up-tempo teams - that's the trade off. That's the positive for a pro-style offense....less opportunities for turnovers. People forget this. All they see is high flying points, but those TOs neutralize it.

bannedwayne
02-26-2014, 05:05 PM
Moncrief dominated as a freshman too. He was literally ALL they had. About the only scoring they did was throwing hail marys to him. And while his stats weren't quite as good as Treadwell's, you have to consider that he was playing on a 2-10 team while Treadwell played on a 7-5 team and supposedly a better offensive scheme. If I had to get right down to it.....I might would say Moncrief was just as good as Treadwell as a freshman.

I personally think Wallace was a 2 game minimum factor for them the past two years. He can run too you know. That hate that people throw on him is ridiculous. And I've seen him complete the deep ball a few times. Now, the injury last year might be something to factor in, I don't know. And he does turn it over. But turnovers often plague spread/up-tempo teams - that's the trade off. That's the positive for a pro-style offense....less opportunities for turnovers. People forget this. All they see is high flying points, but those TOs neutralize it.

Wallace is capable of making the big throw, but he noticeable underthrows receivers on deep routes ALOT. Some of it has to do with his shoulder injuries, some of it probably has to do with his goofy arm mechanics. And he can definitely run, he was in the endzone in the egg bowl if it hadn't been for a somewhat fortunate strip.

Johnson85
02-26-2014, 05:05 PM
I personally think Wallace was a 2 game minimum factor for them the past two years. He can run too you know. That hate that people throw on him is ridiculous. And I've seen him complete the deep ball a few times. Now, the injury last year might be something to factor in, I don't know.

Depends on who your comparing him to. I think he's worth more than 2 games if the alternative is Brunetti. And unfortunately Wallace is probably not anywhere near the worst starting qb MSU or Ole Miss will have at some point in the next 20 years. He's pretty good at several things but his arm strength is a glaring weakness and it does limit their offense. I'm not sure how good it was before his shoulder injury, but it had to have been better. Agreed it's ridiculous for UM fans to hate on him. He's obviously the best they have although I can understand how frustrating it must be to have a player that's does so many things well that are largely negated by one weakness. As an MSU fan, while I can certainly imagine worse qb's starting for them, I can imagine much more dangerous ones also so I'm fairly happy with him.

Schultzy
02-26-2014, 07:20 PM
Or for some, unfortunate. Or you could say it was a great play made by the defensive player, Nickoe Whitley. How one chooses to word it depends on their point of view.

hacker
02-26-2014, 10:23 PM
Dude ran a 4.40 and as a 221 lb. WR, that's freaking smokin'.

Clowney ran a 4.47 as a 270lb DE, that's more impressive to me

Todd4State
02-26-2014, 10:28 PM
I think the reason Bo turns the ball over a lot is because he throws the ball up for grabs in the middle of the field several times a game.