PDA

View Full Version : Javon Patterson. Help me make sense of this

AlSwearengen
02-25-2014, 01:28 PM
I have been reading for a good while now that he was headed to olemiss, end of discussion. That leads me to one conclusion. But, if you look at the last couple of classes, olemiss has signed quite a few highly rated olinemen. Conventional wisdom would say that early pt won't be easy to come by.

At the same time, our oline recruiting has been pretty barren of highly rated players. If I am recruiting him, I would be screaming about early playing time in his future, should he come to State. You would think that early playing time coupled with all of the racial issues olemiss has had lately, jesse jackson, etc., we can can get solidly in the door. Also, I assume that Tony Hughes is recruiting him? What is the deal?

Saltydog
02-25-2014, 01:36 PM
is a habitual liar and he'll tell a recruit exactly what he wants to hear, regardless of the truth.

hailmari
02-25-2014, 01:38 PM
I've been wondering the same. He's apparently an UM fan.. That's my guess anyways.

ShotgunDawg
02-25-2014, 01:39 PM
I have been reading for a good while now that he was headed to olemiss, end of discussion. That leads me to one conclusion. But, if you look at the last couple of classes, olemiss has signed quite a few highly rated olinemen. Conventional wisdom would say that early pt won't be easy to come by.

At the same time, our oline recruiting has been pretty barren of highly rated players. If I am recruiting him, I would be screaming about early playing time in his future, should he come to State. You would think that early playing time coupled with all of the racial issues olemiss has had lately, jesse jackson, etc., we can can get solidly in the door. Also, I assume that Tony Hughes is recruiting him? What is the deal?

It isn't a given that he is going to OM. Rosebowl posted some positive info about him this morning. I expect with Jesse Jackson and Tony Hughes, we will have a shot.

NCDawg
02-25-2014, 01:40 PM
I think Hughes and Hevesy are recruiting him. He will obviously be playing under Hevesy.

Todd4State
02-25-2014, 01:46 PM
At this time last year Jesse Jackson was supposedly going to Ole Miss as well.

Part of it is we have fans that take what some of our Internet cowboys who don't know shit like sevendust say as fact. Of course, about 4-5 months ago he was saying that we had no shot at Malik Dear as well. We see where that is going now.

I don't know where Patterson will go. What I do know is we have 11 months before NSD an anything can happen. I also know he is good friends with Jesse Jackson and that Tony Hughes is recruiting him. We may not get him- but we have a shot. And it's probably a better shot than a lot of our fans think.

AlSwearengen
02-25-2014, 01:48 PM
is a habitual liar and he'll tell a recruit exactly what he wants to hear, regardless of the truth.

No doubt, this goes without saying that olemiss is promising him immediate playing time. At the same time, the kid is graduating early from a good school system, so he isn't dumb. He can surely figure this stuff out. He just needs to have it pointed out to him constantly by us.

Todd4State
02-25-2014, 01:50 PM
It isn't a given that he is going to OM. Rosebowl posted some positive info about him this morning. I expect with Jesse Jackson and Tony Hughes, we will have a shot.

I don't particularly care for Rosebowl, but if I had to choose between him and sevendust for recruiting info, I'm going with Rosebowl.

The biggest issue with Rosebowl is that we have to hope that he doesn't f--- something up during the recruiting process being "the sherriff"- like he almost did with Brandon Bryant.

Todd4State
02-25-2014, 01:52 PM
No doubt, this goes without saying that olemiss is promising him immediate playing time. At the same time, the kid is graduating early from a good school system, so he isn't dumb. He can surely figure this stuff out. He just needs to have it pointed out to him constantly by us.

I think Luke is a good coach- at least that is his reputation. But I've noticed that their o-linemen seem pretty out of shape. They had a guard that they listed at 370. And I have to wonder if that is why Tunsil and Golson were banged up some last year.

If it were me, give me Hevesey and the school with the good S&C program.

Political Hack
02-25-2014, 02:01 PM
every time he makes a play they'll play Dixie and yell "the south will rise again."

Who wouldn't want to be a part of that?***

blacklistedbully
02-25-2014, 02:14 PM
every time he makes a play they'll play Dixie and yell "the south will rise again."

Who wouldn't want to be a part of that?***

Seriously, I really do not understand why so many African-American players, or their parents are fine with going there. Yes, I get that they'll be worshiped by the football-crazed majority of students there, but that place is the poster-child for institutions that have a long way to go, and remain steadfast in clinging to relics of the past that almost all racial minorities find offensive. It would be one thing if all the troubles were from 40+ years ago, but they're not.

Clearly it's not nearly as bad as it was 40 year ago, but it is still pretty damned bad relative to other schools. One would think there'd be more public outcry or at least a reluctance on the part of minorities to go there.

UMCDawg16
02-25-2014, 02:23 PM
Seriously, I really do not understand why so many African-American players, or their parents are fine with going there. Yes, I get that they'll be worshiped by the football-crazed majority of students there, but that place is the poster-child for institutions that have a long way to go, and remain steadfast in clinging to relics of the past that almost all racial minorities find offensive. It would be one thing if all the troubles were from 40+ years ago, but they're not.

Clearly it's not nearly as bad as it was 40 year ago, but it is still pretty damned bad relative to other schools. One would think there'd be more public outcry or at least a reluctance on the part of minorities to go there.

It's coming. They already lost a 4-Star lineman yesterday to some Florida directional school, directly as a result of the racial issues. People are taking notice of the kind of activity that is going on up there and its beginning to bite them in the rear.

Johnson85
02-25-2014, 02:25 PM

It's bad, but it's not anything that can't be ignored. They're not going to wake up to crosses in their yard or get jumped because they date somebody that's not white. It's just dealing with some rare comments and some unfriendliness and maybe being unwelcome in certain places. I don't know why you'd sign up for that, but at the same time I'm guessing that 90% of the time their experience is no different than that of most athletes at Div I schools.

jimbo352
02-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Their OL depth isn't that great... They've had some pretty good recruits lately, but they're all young. IMO, OL depth is a big concern for the Rebels this year. You saw what happened to them when a few guys went down last year. they can and will pitch early PT.

smootness
02-25-2014, 02:42 PM
It's coming. They already lost a 4-Star lineman yesterday to some Florida directional school, directly as a result of the racial issues. People are taking notice of the kind of activity that is going on up there and its beginning to bite them in the rear.

Harrell? He didn't commit anywhere after decommitting. And he has a ton of good offers now, including us...if he committed to UCF, it would be a loss for all those schools. I'm not sure why people are claiming this.

But it is funny that he claims he decommitted because he wants to focus on academics...as though decommitting and opening your recruitment back up leads to a less hectic schedule.

AlSwearengen
02-25-2014, 03:07 PM
Their OL depth isn't that great... They've had some pretty good recruits lately, but they're all young. IMO, OL depth is a big concern for the Rebels this year. You saw what happened to them when a few guys went down last year. they can and will pitch early PT.

I agree that their depth hasn't been that great, but my point was that we should pitch to Patterson that the last two Oline classes for the rebels have had a few highly rated prospects which would mean sharing pt or sitting behind guys that aren't much older than him. During Patterson's true freshman season, Malone will be a senior I believe and Claiborne a junior. I don't know if we signed anyone last year that would stand in Patterson's way of playing.

bannedwayne
02-25-2014, 03:09 PM

This. OM hasn't been good on the OL lately. They started 2 freshmen regularly last year and ran into serious problems in the Egg Bowl when one of their guys went down - they had no one to fill the spot.

bannedwayne
02-25-2014, 03:11 PM
Harrell? He didn't commit anywhere after decommitting. And he has a ton of good offers now, including us...if he committed to UCF, it would be a loss for all those schools. I'm not sure why people are claiming this.

People are claiming this because they like to believe that anyone who decides not to go the OM at this point is CLEARLY doing it because they are racist shitheads and they don't want to be an Uncle Tom.

At least the delusional people are claiming this.

Coach34
02-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Ole Miss just lost 5 or 6 of their top 10 guys on the OL...they need OL guys just like we do.

We have offered 31 OL guys at this point and are working hard in that area this year. We'll be fine

Coach34
02-25-2014, 03:28 PM
I agree that their depth hasn't been that great, but my point was that we should pitch to Patterson that the last two Oline classes for the rebels have had a few highly rated prospects which would mean sharing pt or sitting behind guys that aren't much older than him. During Patterson's true freshman season, Malone will be a senior I believe and Claiborne a junior. I don't know if we signed anyone last year that would stand in Patterson's way of playing.

Malone will be able to get a 6th yr medical unless he applies for the draft after 2015. He may be at OT then anyway. Jocquell Johnson will be done after 2015 though

SouthMsDawg
02-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Great kid and one of the top OL in the nation. Just don't see him signing with us unless something changes. He has been an OM fan since he was younger due to a family taking him to Oxford to games with them and he also is close with Alford who is now at Ole Miss. Gonna be an uphill battle.

SouthMsDawg
02-25-2014, 03:33 PM
At this time last year Jesse Jackson was supposedly going to Ole Miss as well.

Part of it is we have fans that take what some of our Internet cowboys who don't know shit like sevendust say as fact. Of course, about 4-5 months ago he was saying that we had no shot at Malik Dear as well. We see where that is going now.

I don't know where Patterson will go. What I do know is we have 11 months before NSD an anything can happen. I also know he is good friends with Jesse Jackson and that Tony Hughes is recruiting him. We may not get him- but we have a shot. And it's probably a better shot than a lot of our fans think.

Jesse was never an Ole Miss lean, we offered him first and he flirted around and visited a couple other schools (OM, Bama, and Auburn) but he was solid to us all along. Different situation with Javon, OM was the first to offer him and he's been a fan since he was young.

No offense Todd, but you don't have a clue about anything or anybody associated with Petal. Just like when you made your comment about Petal's baseball coaches being Pro-Ole Miss when the top assistant is a former Bulldog (Shane Kelly) and none of the staff went to Ole Miss.

Jesse is going to do his best along with his family and Coach Hughes, but there are some outside factors as well as Javon having been an Ole Miss fan for a long time as well that will factor into his decision. I'd love to get Javon as much as any of you guys but its going to be a TOUGH, TOUGH uphill battle. Also watch out for Auburn as well. Gus Malzahn was at Petal this spring and Melvin is recruiting him for Auburn.

spiritual_machine2005
02-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Lets remember something...IF we don't get Patterson, we will BE OKAY! This class will still be excellent with or with out him.

SouthMsDawg
02-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Lets remember something...IF we don't get Patterson, we will BE OKAY! This class will still be excellent with or with out him.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

sandwolf
02-25-2014, 04:58 PM
People are claiming this because they like to believe that anyone who decides not to go the OM at this point is CLEARLY doing it because they are racist shitheads and they don't want to be an Uncle Tom.

At least the delusional people are claiming this.

I think you misinterpreted his post. When he said "I'm not sure why people are claiming this.", he was saying he wasn't sure why people are claiming that he committed to UCF.

And after he decommitted, I believe that he made some references on Twitter to the events that transpired in Oxford over the last couple of weeks.....which would imply that he may have decommitted due to them being racist shitheads.

bannedwayne
02-25-2014, 05:06 PM
I think you misinterpreted his post. When he said "I'm not sure why people are claiming this.", he was saying he wasn't sure why people are claiming that he committed to UCF.

And after he decommitted, I believe that he made some references on Twitter to the events that transpired in Oxford over the last couple of weeks.....which would imply that he may have decommitted due to them being racist shitheads.

Understood, I was mainly poking at people on another thread that have been using the "Uncle Tom" narrative to discuss any black OM players, which I find ridiculous and shortsighted. But I digress....

Todd4State
02-25-2014, 06:49 PM
Jesse was never an Ole Miss lean, we offered him first and he flirted around and visited a couple other schools (OM, Bama, and Auburn) but he was solid to us all along. Different situation with Javon, OM was the first to offer him and he's been a fan since he was young.

No offense Todd, but you don't have a clue about anything or anybody associated with Petal. Just like when you made your comment about Petal's baseball coaches being Pro-Ole Miss when the top assistant is a former Bulldog (Shane Kelly) and none of the staff went to Ole Miss.

Jesse is going to do his best along with his family and Coach Hughes, but there are some outside factors as well as Javon having been an Ole Miss fan for a long time as well that will factor into his decision. I'd love to get Javon as much as any of you guys but its going to be a TOUGH, TOUGH uphill battle. Also watch out for Auburn as well. Gus Malzahn was at Petal this spring and Melvin is recruiting him for Auburn.

One of my good friends is Jud Watkins, who is Larry's son who went to and played at Mississippi College. You are correct that they didn't go to Ole Miss- but they do cheer for them if it comes down to MSU and Ole Miss.

That came from Jud and his wife.

You can take that back to Irondawgs. Although I'm sure seven has already screen shot everything already.

Todd4State
02-25-2014, 06:58 PM
Also SouthMsDawg- when was the last time we had a baseball player from Petal that went to MSU? Not calling you out- just trivia.

Cliff Wren- and he transferred in from USM before that. And before him it was Brian Clark. We're talking no players since the Polk I era from one of the top programs in the state. Shane Kelly started out at Meridian CC and then came during the McMahon era.