PDA

View Full Version : Hey Coach question and request O.T. the Zeppelin tribute and what I think were their

Bully13
02-24-2014, 11:02 PM
2 best songs that were not part of the tribute... I always thought Zeppelin taught the music industry that metal didn't have to be about jack hammers and chain saws. they brought melody to metal . that's why one of my favorites of all times was "The Rover" from the Grafitti album. would like your thoughts on that. to me "the Rover" was the best example of how they changed attitudes towards metal.

and I've always thought that the best love song ever written was "Thank You"...

so your thoughts and posting that link again would be greatly appreciated...

Coach34
02-24-2014, 11:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta0gDfGb9u0

Coach34
02-24-2014, 11:29 PM
Will add my thoughts in the morning

BeardoMSU
02-24-2014, 11:35 PM
I've never really considered Zeppelin "metal"; to me they are way too refined for that characterization. The majority of their sound stems from the blues; I mean, Jimmy Page is one of the greatest blues/rock guitarists of our time, yet not very many people recognize them as such.

Bonzo....needs no description. To me he is the greatest rock drummer of all time. Yes there are drummers now a days that play "faster" or "harder" stuff...but Bonham was the trendsetter in much of what we know today as innovative drumming.

Todd4State
02-24-2014, 11:47 PM
I've never really considered Zeppelin "metal"; to me they are way too refined for that characterization. The majority of their sound stems from the blues; I mean, Jimmy Page is one of the greatest blues/rock guitarists of our time, yet not very many people recognize them as such.

Bonzo....needs no description. To me he is the greatest rock drummer of all time. Yes there are drummers now a days that play "faster" or "harder" stuff...but Bonham was the trendsetter in much of what we know today as innovative drumming.

They certainly didn't intend to be heavy metal- I'm not sure it even existed at that point. Sure, people like Steppenwolf, the Kinks, and The Who were around as was Hendrix- but Zeppelin was just heavy. They certainly inspired the genre whether they intended to or not. They did things that no one had done and took it to a new level.

Bully13
02-24-2014, 11:48 PM
God that was great.. just doesn't get any better than that. thank you 34... I needed that... perfect

BeardoMSU
02-24-2014, 11:49 PM
That's a good way to conceptualize it.

I guess that goes back to what I was saying about Bonham - He was doing things that no drummer had ever thought to do, and now everyone does it.

BeardoMSU
02-24-2014, 11:55 PM
In my opinion though, in terms of style and "heavy sound", I consider Cream the first true heavy metal band; I see LedZep as more psychedelic and heavy-blues oriented.

Essentially a clone of Zeppelin's style, in the 90's Sound Garden successfully recreated that heavy/psychedelic rock.

ShotgunDawg
02-24-2014, 11:59 PM
Zeppelin was a blues/rock band that wrote songs that were influenced by the writings of J.R.R Tolkien. Yes, that J.R.R Tolkien. That is why Led Zeppelin always a mystical/Lord of the Rings feeling to their music.

I worked in a music store once with some Zeppelin fanatics and they talked about it all the time. Google it

Here is a start: http://www.theonering.com/reading-room/critical-viewpoints/led-zeppelin-and-lord-of-the-rings-rockers-and-tolkien-fans

BeardoMSU
02-25-2014, 12:03 AM
Not only that, but Page was obsessed with the occult, hence the album title "Houses of the Holy". Those guys were ****in' bad asses. Have y'all heard the story about the drunken night in a hotel room on a river, and Bonham and Plant fishing from the river and spanking a woman with the large fish they caught?

drummerdawg
02-25-2014, 12:18 AM

I think Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins do a great job of keeping that drumming style going.

BeardoMSU
02-25-2014, 12:37 AM
Wow. Thank you! I couldn't agree more.

I learned how to play drums by listening to my Nirvana Nevermind album I bought the day it hit the shelves. Once I got the basics down, I moved on to Zeppelin, Phil Collins, the Police, etc.

The Foo Fighters are the best band I've ever seen live, and one of my favorite bands of all time. I've seen them twice in Memphis, and both times they played for like 3.5 hours, and both times did like a 5-10 song encore; those guys rock the ****in' house. Not only is he an awesome drummer and musician, but Dave is a great guy who sends a really good message to aspiring musicians.

Drummerdawg, you didn't march MSU drumline by chance?

hailmari
02-25-2014, 12:53 AM
I was at the last two Foo Fighters concerts in Memphis. I was on the floor level at the last one and my buddy's girlfriend at the time passed out toward the end and Dave stopped in the middle of a song to get some lights on us and make sure everything was cool. Swell guy. (She was okay, btw)

BeardoMSU
02-25-2014, 01:00 AM
Wow, no shit? Man, I remember that, lol.

Do you remember this last time when he told the story about ordering breakfast from the hotel, and they were out of bagels, so he went to the corner Starbucks, and the guy asked him to "do him a solid" and let him propose to his girl on stage?

That was one of the coolest moments I've ever seen. What I really like is when the girl said yes, everyone cheered and they started to walk off stage, and Dave stopped them and said "no sit right here [in front of the drumset]: this song is for you", and they played Everlong. As capt. Jack Aubrey would say, "oh what pitiful stuff".

drummerdawg
02-25-2014, 01:02 AM
Wow. Thank you! I couldn't agree more.

I learned how to play drums by listening to my Nirvana Nevermind album I bought the day it hit the shelves. Once I got the basics down, I moved on to Zeppelin, Phil Collins, the Police, etc.

The Foo Fighters are the best band I've ever seen live, and one of my favorite bands of all time. I've seen them twice in Memphis, and both times they played for like 3.5 hours, and both times did like a 5-10 song encore; those guys rock the ****in' house. Not only is he an awesome drummer and musician, but Dave is a great guy who sends a really good message to aspiring musicians.

Drummerdawg, you didn't march MSU drumline by chance?

No, no. I'm not much for marching, I like to sit behind a trap set.

BeardoMSU
02-25-2014, 01:09 AM
Thats cool man. Regardless, I appreciate a person who's willing to give some credit to those boys. Like I said, Dave is one of my heros. I've met a number of drummers who put their nose up to Dave Grohl, which I generally respond with something like this....
http://i.imgur.com/9TWZZgm.gif

Did you watch his movie "Sound City"? If not, I highly recommend it!

drummerdawg
02-25-2014, 01:18 AM
Not sure if I have seen that or not but I know a decent amount about him. Dave is a good drummer but I really admire his passion for music more than anything. I don't think he gets enough credit from some people. Do you play drums?

BeardoMSU
02-25-2014, 01:24 AM
I do, for about 20 years now, but most of my experience has been in marching percussion - I marched at MSU for 8 years, through undergrad and my masters degree. I started out playing set, though.

what about you?

Edit: here is the IMDB link for Sound City. I'm sure you'd love it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306745/

drummerdawg
02-25-2014, 01:38 AM
Thats cool. Yes I play. Got my first set when i was 3 and been playing ever since (I'm 27 now). I will have to check that out.

NELA Dawg
02-25-2014, 08:55 AM
I think Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins do a great job of keeping that drumming style going.

My vote goes to the drummer from Rush.

drummerdawg
02-25-2014, 09:21 AM
Neil Peart is the man no doubt.

MadDawg
02-25-2014, 09:28 AM
Neil Peart is the man no doubt.

Greatest drummer in my generation.

drummerdawg
02-25-2014, 09:46 AM
Greatest drummer in my generation.

He is probably the greatest rock drummer of all time. When I learned 2112 overture/ temples id syrix and Tom Sawyer, I thought I was bad. Alex Lifeson is a very underrated guitarist imo and Geddy Lee is just awesome.

Coach34
02-25-2014, 11:09 AM
ok...back to the important shit- Zeppelin

Everybody has music that just "speaks to them". Zeppelin is that #1 group for me. They were hard rock but I wouldnt call them heavy metal- they were the precursor to metal. They had some some early psychedelic stuff because of the time period but they were deeply rooted in blues/rock. They just changed the game with their music and lyrics- and it worked like no other.

Plant wanted to be bluesman originally- not some big RNR star. Page's love of blues music is what helped bond the two. Add that Page is one of the best guitarists to ever live and Plant's eccentric lyrics worked together greatly. JPJ was the ultimate role player- his greatest was being versatile, which allowed them to add alot of things to their songs. Bonham was the backbone of the group and really their leader- so there was no moving on after he died.

It sux that it ended when it did because they were still creative and doing new things- but also still doing creative things with their old songs. For example on Whole Lotta Love- they took out the psychedelic screams and shit out and played an updated bluesy-rock version in 1979 that is one of the best things I have ever heard. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB_DOA2AL7Q

They have the obvious big ones like Kashmir, Whole Lotta Love, Stairway, etc- but I love alot of them that arent the obvious hits also. When The Levee Breaks, Travelling Riverside Blues, The Ocean, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, Over The Hills and Far Away, In My Time of Dying...and others

Jack Black said it perfectly in that tribute- simply "Best....Band....Ever"

drummerdawg
02-25-2014, 11:21 AM
When the levee breaks is probably my favorite Zeppelin song

Coach34
02-25-2014, 11:31 AM
I will admit that I have become a Dave Grohl fan though

drummerdawg
02-25-2014, 11:46 AM
If you want to know how much MS music means to the world, look no further than Robert Plant. Dude lives in Memphis and just hangs out on Beal and in the Ms delta and plays rinky dink festivals because of the music that inspired him so much. He can live anywhere and he's originally from England with no Ms ties other than that music he loved growing up. Pretty cool.

hailmari
02-25-2014, 12:10 PM
Wow, no shit? Man, I remember that, lol.

Do you remember this last time when he told the story about ordering breakfast from the hotel, and they were out of bagels, so he went to the corner Starbucks, and the guy asked him to "do him a solid" and let him propose to his girl on stage?

That was one of the coolest moments I've ever seen. What I really like is when the girl said yes, everyone cheered and they started to walk off stage, and Dave stopped them and said "no sit right here [in front of the drumset]: this song is for you", and they played Everlong. As capt. Jack Aubrey would say, "oh what pitiful stuff".

Yeah, I remember that. My buddy had to take his girl to get checked on by the med crew, but I stayed to watch the rest of the show.

Coach34
02-25-2014, 12:13 PM
No doubt.

My dad was big into blues music. Got me into it growing up listening to Howling Wolf, Muddy Waters, Jimmy Reed....

BrunswickDawg
02-25-2014, 12:15 PM
Zep is definitely the shit. Their range and creativity really shows in some of their more recent projects. Plant's stuff with Allison Krauss is unreal. JPJ with Grohl in Them Crooked Vultures is vastly underrated. Even Page's Black Crowes work is at least fun an better than most "tribute" style compilations.

Bullmutt
02-25-2014, 12:26 PM
Coach- enjoying this discussion about some of the great old acts from my day. Is there room (or need) on Elitedawgs for a music related forum?

Coach34
02-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Nahhhh- but we can discuss music here some, especially in the offseason. Slick is a big music fan also, so he doesnt stay on me to move the music threads to the BS forum as quickly.

Bothrops
02-25-2014, 04:28 PM
They certainly didn't intend to be heavy metal- I'm not sure it even existed at that point. Sure, people like Steppenwolf, the Kinks, and The Who were around as was Hendrix- but Zeppelin was just heavy. They certainly inspired the genre whether they intended to or not. They did things that no one had done and took it to a new level.

Black Sabbath was the first metal band that toured outside the UK and Europe. This was in 1970. America had not yet been introduced to metal. They were the first of their kind. Zeppelin started out as a pure unadulterated rock n' roll band, then became more progressive later on. Both groups heavily influenced metal bands that appeared on the scene in the 80's and early 90's. But Zeppelin was never metal.

RunDog26
02-25-2014, 07:32 PM
If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and read "Hammer of the Gods" Great story about Zeppelin.

Hard to pick just one favorite song, but some of mine include No Quarter, Bring it on Home, Ten Years Gone, What Is and What Should Never Be, etc. etc. etc.

BeardoMSU
02-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Achilles Last Stand.

Coach34
02-25-2014, 08:12 PM
Achilles Last Stand.

my shower song...it's 10 minutes long-perfect for the shower

Bothrops
02-25-2014, 08:29 PM
If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and read "Hammer of the Gods" Great story about Zeppelin.

Hard to pick just one favorite song, but some of mine include No Quarter, Bring it on Home, Ten Years Gone, What Is and What Should Never Be, etc. etc. etc.

No Quarter is awesome.

Bothrops
02-25-2014, 08:35 PM
Y'all should check out some of Sabbath's early records with Iommi, Butler, Ward, and Osbourne. Truly pioneers of their time.

Coach34
02-25-2014, 08:40 PM
Sabbath had some good early stuff- no doubt. As ****ed up as Ozzy is- that ****er has been apart of some good music

Bothrops
02-25-2014, 08:49 PM
I have an old VHS tape of one of their outdoor concerts in California from '71 or something. Rather interesting crowd. More like angry hippies

NELA Dawg
02-26-2014, 09:00 AM
Y'all should check out some of Sabbath's early records with Iommi, Butler, Ward, and Osbourne. Truly pioneers of their time.

It may be hard to find, but get the DVD of the making of Pink Floyds Dark Side Of The Moon, it is impressive. Floyd was way ahead their time when it comes to recording in studio. I found a copy in a local DVD rental store. It is great to watch with a couple of beers and surround sound. And you may shoot me for saying this but, David Gilmore is the best guitarist. By the way, which one is Pink?

Coach34
02-26-2014, 09:16 AM
I don't see how anybody wouldn't declare Hendrix the best guitarist- and I worship Page. But there is no other one like Jimi

Bullmutt
02-26-2014, 02:34 PM
We could be arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, guys! I don't see how anybody can argue about who is THE best guitarist. There are just too many great ones. I consider them all A best. Clapton, Paige, Beck, Hendrix, Gilmore, and all the others mentioned here. How do say one was the best? Each did some things better than the others, but all were excellent mechanics. I knew and watched a lot of club band guitar players in those days and they would praise all these guys. They also liked a lot of others not mentioned here, in particular the original lead player for CTA, Terry Kath. If you listen to all his work on their first two albums, it's easy to see why. A group called Wishbone Ash also had a pair of tandem leads who were strong. Their Argus album had some fine work.

Esmerelda Villalobos
02-26-2014, 02:57 PM
Not to get in a pissing match but many people in the industry consider eric clapton to be the most overrated musician in rock history.

Bullmutt
02-27-2014, 02:39 PM
Many people in the industry are jealous and harbor resentment. Clapton came on the scene when there was no one in the rock genre who could compare and blazed the trail. His reputation as THE best was earned very early during his stints with the Yardbirds and the Blues Breakers- before he started with Cream. All one need do is listen to his work on the live recording of "Crossroads" to see that he would be a distant second to nobody.