PDA

View Full Version : Any Update on Recuiting Weekend

bulldogsmsu
02-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Just wonder how everything went this weekend with the recuits. Haven't seen much posted about it.

ShotgunDawg
02-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Not much really happened. The kids seem to have had a great time, but there were no commitments because Tommy Champion wasn't able to make it.

The only other nugget is that it seems Malik Dear is just a matter of time.

smootness
02-24-2014, 09:58 AM
It looks like we're making a good move with Spivey. And it's good that Patterson was there; they have an interview with him on 247 but I can't see it...can anybody with a subscription there give a summary of what he said?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-24-2014, 10:08 AM
It looks like we're making a good move with Spivey. And it's good that Patterson was there; they have an interview with him on 247 but I can't see it...can anybody with a subscription there give a summary of what he said?
"We got there early and stayed until about 5 (p.m.)," said the 6-foot-4 and 290-pound Patterson. "It was a great visit and everything was great. I've been there before for summer camps but we didn't get to see much of the campus then because we were at camp and mainly at the stadium.

"But I liked the love I got from the coaches and it really feels like a family atmosphere. I got to see more of the school and hang around the coaches. And it's always good going with Jesse. He is a new signee and he showed me around and that was a good deal, too. He knows that place well and was able to tell me a lot of things."

Patterson also got to spend time with Bulldog players that are already on the roster, as well as get some 1-on-1 time with head coach Dan Mullen.

"I hung around with (MSU sophomore) Justin Malone and some other offensive linemen," said Patterson. "I got to talk with Dak (Prescott) a little bit and he's a great guy. It was good to talk to them about the program and get that knowledge from them.

"Then the coaches talked to me about how I would fit in their program and where I would be in their program. And Coach Mullen is such a great guy. He offered me when I was just in the 10th grade and he always jokes around and picks on me. With Coach Mullen and their staff, I believe their program is headed the right way."

Patterson has now taken in junior days at MSU and Ole Miss this month, and has another possible SEC trip or two in his near future.

"I am going to the Nike Combine in New Orleans next week," said Patterson. "Then I am going to Auburn after that and I will probably go to Alabama soon. And I haven't looked too far ahead after that."

Patterson currently holds offers from MSU, Ole Miss, Auburn, Alabama and LSU among others. Wanting to play in the SEC at the next level, Patterson said he wants to make his college decision in November.

Due to graduating high school early, Patterson added he will take official visits during the fall and noted his recent trip to MSU helped the Bulldogs in his eyes.

"All of the SEC schools are up there on my list," said Patterson. "The SEC is a great conference to play in and I want to play in the SEC. And I think Mississippi State has a great chance.

"My decision is supposed to be in November so I will take official visits in the fall. That will be great to graduate early and get an early start in a college weight room and get used to a different lifestyle."

ghostofjackie
02-24-2014, 10:15 AM

What are we doing with Spivey?

smootness
02-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Cool, thanks for posting. Nothing groundbreaking, but it seems like we're definitely in consideration. I'm glad he came with Jesse Jackson and that we let him spend some time with Dak.

I also like that he's graduating early; we seem to do better with guys who decide earlier, but we'll see.

smootness
02-24-2014, 10:18 AM
What are we doing with Spivey?

It just seems like I've seen a few people recently who think we get him. There are still a lot who think he ends up at Ole Miss, but based on some of the buzz, it appears we're at least putting ourselves in it.

spiritual_machine2005
02-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Spivey has yet to get an UM offer. If he does, would it be another Sean Rawlings situation?

ShotgunDawg
02-24-2014, 10:39 AM
Spivey has yet to get an UM offer. If he does, would it be another Sean Rawlings situation?

Maybe... I think Spivey just grew up cheering for OM, whereas Rawling's brother goes to OM and family went there as well. Furthermore, Rawlings family maybe OM season ticket holders.

Basically, you could be right in that Spivey could be another Rawlings situation, but I don't think his connection to OM is anymore than being a causal fan and not that strong, whereas Rawling's family are literally Bears.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-24-2014, 10:40 AM
Cool, thanks for posting. Nothing groundbreaking, but it seems like we're definitely in consideration. I'm glad he came with Jesse Jackson and that we let him spend some time with Dak.

I also like that he's graduating early; we seem to do better with guys who decide earlier, but we'll see.
No problem, but I think we only have about a 10% chance of getting him and that's only because of Tony Hughes. I don't personally know what the exact situation is, but it sounds like there is a lot to overcome. Either way, we've got to start raking up on the o-line guys.

ShotgunDawg
02-24-2014, 10:44 AM
No problem, but I think we only have about a 10% chance of getting him and that's only because of Tony Hughes. I don't personally know what the exact situation is, but it sounds like there is a lot to overcome. Either way, we've got to start raking up on the o-line guys.

If you admittingly say that you don't know the situation, then how could you possibly put a 10% chance on getting him? Especially when one of his best friends, Jesse Jackson, will be going to school here?

The point is, I have been keeping up with this guys recruitment, and we have better than a 10% chance. With Jesse Jackson, Tony Hughes, and the fact that we could lock up most all of the top players in the state, there should be enough momentum there where I would say may currently have closer to a 40% chance.

MSUMatt
02-24-2014, 11:09 AM

He's a good kid though and I think he likes State. He's just a big UM fan as well and has a lot of family who are Ole Miss people. Also a lot of people in Bay Springs who are Moncrief kin. He's a strong, big, hardworking kid whose stiff in his hips. He's an offensive guy so I don't think he ever steps foot on defense.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-24-2014, 11:11 AM
If you admittingly say that you don't know the situation, then how could you possibly put a 10% chance on getting him? Especially when one of his best friends, Jesse Jackson, will be going to school here?

The point is, I have been keeping up with this guys recruitment, and we have better than a 10% chance. With Jesse Jackson, Tony Hughes, and the fact that we could lock up most all of the top players in the state, there should be enough momentum there where I would say may currently have closer to a 40% chance.
I'm guessing you're just looking for something to bitch about, but I didn't admit that I didn't know the situation. I admitted I didn't know the EXACT situation and that we have a lot to overcome. If you're not directly connected to the family or his recruitment, you don't know shit other than what you read on a message board.