PDA

View Full Version : Couple of question for the baseball guys

Irondawg
02-24-2014, 08:52 AM
I know some of you watched fall and winter ball pretty closely. So a few questions:

1) Could Detz play RF? He keeps only getting mentioned at 3B or DH

2) What's the deal with Armstrong? Does he simply not hit well enough? Is he our fastest guy?

Just wondering at typically guys who can play 3B can play RF and I never see Armstrong mentioned as an option

maroonmania
02-24-2014, 09:48 AM
Another question, can anyone figure out why we haven't seen Heck even get one start at SS? If he is such a good fielder I don't understand why we haven't seen him given the play of Britton and Hann. He has gotten plate appearances but that's it. And I personally just don't see any good options at 3B. For all of our complaints about Detz, Humphreys looked shaky in his one start and is Hann really any better than Detz over there?

Goat Holder
02-24-2014, 09:50 AM
I think that's what's frustrating some of our most emotional fans. They are finally realizing that Cohen really is playing our best. We're going to win or lose with Detz/Britton and Co.

maroonmania
02-24-2014, 10:02 AM
I think that's what's frustrating some of our most emotional fans. They are finally realizing that Cohen really is playing our best. We're going to win or lose with Detz/Britton and Co.

Well I can't say that at SS because I still haven't seen Heck. Most of the other positions everyone has gotten at least all options have gotten one start.

Goat Holder
02-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Cohen has, and has seen him a bunch. Go back and listen to the preseason press conference and Cohen mentions that Heck was brought in for depth and to help competition. We are in trouble if Heck is our starting SS.

The Croom Diaries
02-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Well I can't say that at SS because I still haven't seen Heck. Most of the other positions everyone has gotten at least all options have gotten one start.

I agree. SS is a huge issue right now. We've gone from having a guy who had a couple of hits per game and made every play in the field to a .136 average through 8 games and a few errors. Heck hit really well in fall ball, and considering that he won a gold glove with only 1 error all year in juco he's a solid fielder. It may be something like he's been sick or has some type of injury we don't know about. Keep in mind last year Cohen hid Trey Porter's eye troubles the entire year until the end and no one knew about it.

Irondawg
02-24-2014, 01:01 PM
Who knows on Heck. WJ seems to love him.

if we could move Detz to RF and then bring in Hendo as a late inning replacement that would solve part of the problem of getting Humphries, Detz and Garner in the lineup at the same time.

And if Armstrong is so fast why no PT, let him leadoff or put in the 9 hole and give him the green light all the time.

Goat Holder
02-24-2014, 01:43 PM
You want to bench a known commodity in Henderson for Humphreys, who has shown he isn't quite ready this year? In the field and at the plate?

You guys can come up with some ridiculous scenarios.

RAYn_Man
02-24-2014, 02:07 PM
This isn't Little League. You can't just blindly stick people in random positions and expect them to succeed. Yea I'm sure Detz could stand in RF and catch an occasional pop up but let's get serious. It would be a huge mistake. Keep in mind we play at Dudy Noble Field, with a lot of ground to cover in the outfield. You have to have athletic outfielders who can run down balls. And we have plenty of outfielders, no need to try to convert someone. So for all of those people who think we can stick Detz, Collins, or Garner in RF, it's not going to happen. Isn't even a thought.

The Croom Diaries
02-24-2014, 02:37 PM
Who knows on Heck. WJ seems to love him.

if we could move Detz to RF and then bring in Hendo as a late inning replacement that would solve part of the problem of getting Humphries, Detz and Garner in the lineup at the same time.

And if Armstrong is so fast why no PT, let him leadoff or put in the 9 hole and give him the green light all the time.

I the goal is to get Humphrey and Garner and Detz in the lineup at the same time the solution would be move Detz to 2B and Pirtle to SS, bench Britton. Detz was a middle infielder in juco, Pirtle wanted to play SS this year and can, and we do not want Henderson out of the lineup...he's second on the team right now in OPS at 1.026 and has been a solid contributor for several years.

It_Could_Happen
02-24-2014, 02:45 PM
Like I said earlier, Freshman can do it it just takes time. LSU went to Omaha last year with a freshman SS. Keep that in mind.

Goat Holder
02-24-2014, 02:51 PM
I the goal is to get Humphrey and Garner and Detz in the lineup at the same time

Sigh. That's not the goal. Never has been. Suffice to say right now the lineup is probably better off without Humphreys this year.

the solution would be move Detz to 2B

Not this shit again. It was hashed out over and over and over and over again last year. We all know Detz was a second baseman in JUCO. We also know that he's not good enough to play it at MSU. This was never even an option last year, when 2B was the position in flux. It's not happening, pal.

Pirtle to SS? Maybe. But then you have to find someone to play 2B, and that's either going to be Britton, Hann or Heck. So you've got the same issue, but it does move a team leader to SS. Who knows if that really matters. But Britton is our best defender, potential wise. He makes plays that others don't. And everybody's making errors, not just Britton. Not sure why the rest of the team gets a pass but he doesn't.

messageboardsuperhero
02-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Like I said earlier, Freshman can do it it just takes time. LSU went to Omaha last year with a freshman SS. Keep that in mind.

While I do think the young guys will bounce back from this and be fine, we don't have a SS on our roster nearly as talented as Bregman. That's not really a good comparison.

The Croom Diaries
02-24-2014, 02:58 PM
Sigh. That's not the goal. Never has been. Suffice to say right now the lineup is probably better off without Humphreys this year.

Not this shit again. It was hashed out over and over and over and over again last year. We all know Detz was a second baseman in JUCO. We also know that he's not good enough to play it at MSU. This was never even an option last year, when 2B was the position in flux. It's not happening, pal.

Pirtle to SS? Maybe. But then you have to find someone to play 2B, and that's either going to be Britton, Hann or Heck. So you've got the same issue, but it does move a team leader to SS. Who knows if that really matters. But Britton is our best defender, potential wise. He makes plays that others don't. And everybody's making errors, not just Britton. Not sure why the rest of the team gets a pass but he doesn't.

I was responding to his comment about putting Detz in RF, not agreeing with him. While I don't think moving Detz anywhere is a solution right now that doesn't mean it can be thrown out of the equation completely. Cohen will continue to mold this team until the end of the year. If it comes to the point that we can't hit at all then this could be a solution, and you sacrifice range at 2B for it. I don't think it will be, but my response was that Henderson should not be removed from RF to get freshman in the lineup.

MsStateBaseball
02-24-2014, 03:10 PM
Detz is slow afoot. Armstrong strikes out too much. Cohen for whatever reason likes to slowly bring guys along. Heck will play a lot more. Seems like his type of player. Once we get going it will really get going. I wished we were away from home this weekend. Playing away will help.

Irondawg
02-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Detz is slow afoot. Armstrong strikes out too much. Cohen for whatever reason likes to slowly bring guys along. Heck will play a lot more. Seems like his type of player. Once we get going it will really get going. I wished we were away from home this weekend. Playing away will help.

Thanks - that's all I was asking for. I wasn't saying it should be the option, I was merely asking if it was an option that might be considered. And I was curious on what the difference between Armstrong and Hendo.

BeachDawg
02-24-2014, 04:27 PM
I'd still like to see Humphreys get more playing time. He has played very little and may be able to make adjustments as the season goes on.

Todd4State
02-24-2014, 06:06 PM
I know some of you watched fall and winter ball pretty closely. So a few questions:

1) Could Detz play RF? He keeps only getting mentioned at 3B or DH

2) What's the deal with Armstrong? Does he simply not hit well enough? Is he our fastest guy?

Just wondering at typically guys who can play 3B can play RF and I never see Armstrong mentioned as an option

1) I don't know if Detz has the arm to play right field in addition to the fact that his range would probably be pretty limited out there. We run the risk of people running on us and taking extra bases at will on balls hit to RF.

2) Yes, I don't think Armstrong hits well enough. I'm not sure if he is our fastest guy or not- but he's up there. He's also probably our best pinch hitter.

Todd4State
02-24-2014, 06:08 PM
I'd still like to see Humphreys get more playing time. He has played very little and may be able to make adjustments as the season goes on.

Hopefully he will make some adjustments- the ball is in his court. As talented as he is, he has to still do things the right way.

Miller Huggins was Babe Ruth's manager- and he benched him in his prime for a short period of time for not acting right on and off the field.