Jake Matthews
Taylor Lewan
Greg Robinson
Zack Martin

BUT- the top 2 OG's for the draft:

Cyril Richardson and Gabe Jackson- are both 3-stars out of HS

Todd4State
02-24-2014, 12:10 AM
Why is it so difficult for recruiting web sites to evaluate o-linemen?

War Machine Dawg
02-24-2014, 12:18 AM

Because most of them are so big they get by on sheer size at the HS level. It's hard to project a guy's feet, for instance, when he's able to just lean on the DL and push him around based on size disparity. But I think the biggest thing with OL is probably the intangibles. Will a big guy come in and work or will he be lazy? Is he physical or is he soft? Does he have the necessary on-field mean streak? Will he eat right to have the right type of weight/gain weight/lose weight? With some guys it's pretty easy to know, like Deon Mix a couple of years ago. I personally saw him play probably 20 times and he's soft. I'd be shocked if he ever contributes at Auburn. They did us a favor signing him. Damien Robinson was another guy I said was a big project when most people thought he was an immediate stud. But most are just good enough that it's a crapshoot to figure it all out with them.

Dawg61
02-24-2014, 12:21 AM

I'm guessing because most OL as seniors in HS won't closely resemble themselves after 4+ years in college S&C programs mixed in with very good coaching. A WR is tall and fast in HS and will be in college when he leaves but when you start adding or taking away serious muscle mass and or body fat % it gets pretty impossible to predict whose the 5* big uglies 5 years from when you're rating them. Just a guess.

dawgs
02-24-2014, 12:26 AM
I'd say the top 4 OTs being 4* recruits is pretty damn good evaluation. A lot less OGs are ranked 4+* because of the same reason OGs and Cs aren't as valuable in the draft.

justwin
02-24-2014, 12:58 AM
Wasn't Sherrod a 4 star? Robinson has been a huge disappointment

Coach34
02-24-2014, 01:15 AM
I'd say the top 4 OTs being 4* recruits is pretty damn good evaluation.

Where are the 5 stars for this class?

dawgs
02-24-2014, 01:24 AM
Where are the 5 stars for this class?

Ohhhhh so you want recruiting rankings to be 100% exactly nailed 3-5 years in advance in order to give them any credence? If you think the top 4 OTs being 4* recruits is a negative for the recruiting services, then you've lost your damn mind.

dawgs
02-24-2014, 01:31 AM
Fwiw from 2009-2011 classes, I think there were only like 7 5* OTs and one of them was fluker, a 1st round pick last year. Another is kjoaundijio or whatever who'll be a 2nd round pick after leaving a year early.

Coach34
02-24-2014, 01:42 AM
Ohhhhh so you want recruiting rankings to be 100% exactly nailed 3-5 years in advance in order to give them any credence? If you think the top 4 OTs being 4* recruits is a negative for the recruiting services, then you've lost your damn mind.

I didnt say a ******* word about them having credence- I'm just asking why a 5-star isnt among the top 6 ****ing picks of the upcoming draft? There is no doubt that having the top 4 OT's being 4-stars is plus for them...never said it wasnt. Not sure why the venom mf'er. Check yourself.

As much as having the top 4 OT's is solid- no 5 stars in the top 6 is a detriment as well.

Coach34
02-24-2014, 01:43 AM
Fwiw from 2009-2011 classes, I think there were only like 7 5* OTs and one of them was fluker, a 1st round pick last year. Another is kjoaundijio or whatever who'll be a 2nd round pick after leaving a year early.

ok that's 2 of them- what about the other 5?

Coach34
02-24-2014, 02:37 AM
2009 Rivals top 100 OL:

5-star DJ Fluker worked out and was drafted 1st round in 2013
5-star Mason Walters has zero chance of being drafted this year
4-star Xavier Nixon- undrafted in 2013, signed as a FA
4-star Chris Faulk-entered the 2013 draft and went undrafted
4-star Morgan Moses- entering the 2014 draft- should be a top 4 round pick
4-star Marcus Hall- Ohio St guy that isnt getting drafted
4-star Xavier Su's Filo- went to UCLA, declared for draft but unlikely to be drafted
4-star Micheal Philipp- projected to go undrafted after 5 years at Oregon St
4-star Garrett Porter- signed with Texas- projected to go undrafted
4-star Chris Watt- signed with ND- projected as a mid-round pick
4-star Chris Burnette- signed by Georgia- moved to DT and left Georgia- went undrafted
4-star David Barrent- left Michigan St due to back problems
4-star Kevin Graf- USC- unlikely to be drafted in 2014
4-star Eric Shrive- Penn St- rated 69th of 153 OT's by NFL dtaftscout
4-star John Martinez- USC- unlikely to be drafted in 2014

That's the top OL guys for the 2009 class...as you can see, rating the OL is a crapshoot and why star power there is a bunch of crap

dawgs
02-24-2014, 03:50 AM
Don't play dumb, you know exactly what you wanted to insinuate with your post, so don't act all innocent because you didn't explicitly state it.

Without pulling up the numbers, I'd bet that the rate of 4* getting drafted is higher than the rate of 3* getting drafted. It's been shown over and over to be true. That's not the same thing as saying 3* are destined to suck and 4+* are destined for greatness, it's literally saying the higher the star rating the better the odds of panning out. That's it. Of all the thousands of players each year that go on to play CFB, only a small % of them are drafted and less even make a nfl roster.

Mullen's strongest coaching trait IMO is talent evaluation and/or talent development. But I'd still prefer to start with the better talent.

Coach34
02-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Without pulling up the numbers, I'd bet that the rate of 4* getting drafted is higher than the rate of 3* getting drafted. It's been shown over and over to be true. That's not the same thing as saying 3* are destined to suck and 4+* are destined for greatness, it's literally saying the higher the star rating the better the odds of panning out. That's it. Of all the thousands of players each year that go on to play CFB, only a small % of them are drafted and less even make a nfl roster.

Mullen's strongest coaching trait IMO is talent evaluation and/or talent development. But I'd still prefer to start with the better talent.

I know that is true overall- but is it true on the OL? I just showed the Rivals top 100 linemen for 2009- 15 guys in it, with only 3 getting drafted.

dawgs
02-24-2014, 11:27 AM
I know that is true overall- but is it true on the OL? I just showed the Rivals top 100 linemen for 2009- 15 guys in it, with only 3 getting drafted.

yes, the top 4 OTs all being former 4* recruits says all i need to know that it's a crapshoot. why are you are changing your numbers away from this all the sudden?

maybe 2009 was a particularly bad OL class? you'll need more than a single recruiting cycle to prove anything. then you'll need to compare the % of 4-5* OL drafted compared to the % of 3* OL drafted over multiple cycles to actually begin to prove anything.