PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts-baseball

MsStateBaseball
02-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Don't worry be happy. These guys will turn around, they will go on a roll. If we don't make Omaha, try again in 2015. Our talent level rises each year.

Catcher- duh? Cohen said they figured it out. Randolph didn't play at all this weekend, so to me its Collins and Walker. Defense comes first.

SS/3B- keep rotating guys until it clicks. Heck should come in late any way BC he is a great defender.

OF- keep rotating they all will be fine.

Just pitch guys who can be effective. Should have 12 of those. Keep bringing along the young guys.

Goals of every season: conference and/or national champion. Until we are beat, goals are still attainable.

Questions?

Drugdog
02-23-2014, 07:37 PM
Just a comment. I was able to see the coaching/ interaction between Cohen, Butch and the players. A lot of pieces moving. Players were coaching, talking, etc..I find this Great. Watching other college teams on TV there does not seem to be the level of what we are doing...
I feel this is growing Pains. Disappointed yes, concerned yes, Will we turn it around..Yes.

Bothrops
02-23-2014, 07:44 PM
It may not be this year, but I tend to agree. We sorely need some power hitters.

Saltydog
02-23-2014, 07:55 PM
baseball seams are going to be flattened some so pitchers won't be able to get as much break on ball.

bulldogcountry1
02-23-2014, 08:10 PM
I've been around long enough to know this is a process and that you can't put too much weight on single loses, especially early losses. But, I've seen 6 of the 8 games in person, and I'm struggling to find a bright spot to give me any confidence that we will be okay. We played in the NC series last year, and we are doing absolutely nothing well right now.

maroonmania
02-23-2014, 10:03 PM
It may not be this year, but I tend to agree. We sorely need some power hitters.

And speaking of power, there is a decent chance that the player responsible for all 3 of our HRs this year so far won't still be here next year, assuming he gets a decent draft position.

Intramural All-American
02-23-2014, 10:12 PM
Does anyone know what Ray's draft stock looks like? I know last year someone said a scout told them that he didn't grade out well, but I haven't heard anything since.

Maroonthirteen
02-23-2014, 10:48 PM
I've been around long enough to know this is a process and that you can't put too much weight on single loses, especially early losses. But, I've seen 6 of the 8 games in person, and I'm struggling to find a bright spot to give me any confidence that we will be okay. We played in the NC series last year, and we are doing absolutely nothing well right now.

Reminds me of basketball 96-97. Washington was the next Dampier. Hyche next Super D. Wester - Jones....didn't work out that way.

Todd4State
02-23-2014, 11:22 PM
Does anyone know what Ray's draft stock looks like? I know last year someone said a scout told them that he didn't grade out well, but I haven't heard anything since.

I'd say top 15 rounds easy if not higher. He has power and can defend. It really depends on if he can hit for average or not. He's always going to be a base clogger.

Dawg61
02-23-2014, 11:39 PM
I think we have some very good pitchers on this team so I'm not all that worried right now. It's a long season. We'll be good again when it matters most.

Bear@Work
02-24-2014, 12:09 AM
Don't worry be happy. These guys will turn around, they will go on a roll. If we don't make Omaha, try again in 2015. Our talent level rises each year.

Catcher- duh? Cohen said they figured it out. Randolph didn't play at all this weekend, so to me its Collins and Walker. Defense comes first.

SS/3B- keep rotating guys until it clicks. Heck should come in late any way BC he is a great defender.

OF- keep rotating they all will be fine.

Just pitch guys who can be effective. Should have 12 of those. Keep bringing along the young guys.

Goals of every season: conference and/or national champion. Until we are beat, goals are still attainable.

Questions?

I took my son to the games yesterday and today and I'm pretty sick to my stomach. The weather was great and it was nice to be outside watching some ball! But man, this caught me by surprise as I wasnt expecting this sort of drop off. I still think we can get hot like last year and make a run at the CWS but Cohen better get the boys fired up. He needs to let them know that we shouldn't be losing to this patsy teams at Mississippi State!! That is unacceptable.

Bear@Work
02-24-2014, 12:18 AM
By the way, UCLA lost again today and are only 4-3 on the season. They lost their weekend series to Cal poly

Todd4State
02-24-2014, 12:24 AM
I took my son to the games yesterday and today and I'm pretty sick to my stomach. The weather was great and it was nice to be outside watching some ball! But man, this caught me by surprise as I wasnt expecting this sort of drop off. I still think we can get hot like last year and make a run at the CWS but Cohen better get the boys fired up. He needs to let them know that we shouldn't be losing to this patsy teams at Mississippi State!! That is unacceptable.

I understand the way you feel and why you and others feel the way you do. However, last year the only question marks for the most part were 2nd and 3rd base. Eventually we solved that with Pirtle and Detz/Frost.

We made only one error today and I think we are about to figure out the infield situation. We've figured out the catcher situation. Unfortunately, our true freshman pitchers have gotten knocked around a little bit today and our All-American closer has an issue with his middle finger. And unfortunately not a Marshall Henderson middle finger issue.

Those freshmen aren't going to pitch very much in the SEC this year. Other than Hudson of course. I think we're pretty close, and hopefully playing Heck will solve a lot of problems because he is if nothing else a very good defensive player.

maroonmania
02-24-2014, 10:09 AM
I understand the way you feel and why you and others feel the way you do. However, last year the only question marks for the most part were 2nd and 3rd base. Eventually we solved that with Pirtle and Detz/Frost.

We made only one error today and I think we are about to figure out the infield situation. We've figured out the catcher situation. Unfortunately, our true freshman pitchers have gotten knocked around a little bit today and our All-American closer has an issue with his middle finger. And unfortunately not a Marshall Henderson middle finger issue.

Those freshmen aren't going to pitch very much in the SEC this year. Other than Hudson of course. I think we're pretty close, and hopefully playing Heck will solve a lot of problems because he is if nothing else a very good defensive player.

I hope Heck is not our best defensive option at SS, because if he is then Cohen is an idiot for not haven given him at least ONE start there so far this season. Although I will say I really question our evaluation process. How can you go from saying Randolph is our starter at C for the season and our best defender to now after 8 games basically taking him totally out of the mix. Also, Britton is starting to look as shaky at SS as he was as a true freshman.

Goat Holder
02-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Dude, we will have Collins in his second year, Humphreys in his second year, and Swinarski in his second year. And I'm pretty sure whoever is at 1B will have some power, whether it be Rea, Rooker or Ingram. Garner will be back in his third year. We'll have some power.

Bigedawg
02-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Has the Young pitcher from JUCO been shut down for the year? I know a lot of people had high hopes for him being a rotation type pitcher, but there was some troubling things regarding how many pitches he was throwing toward the end of last season in JUCO. Additionally, is there any chance that we activate a guy like Swinarski or Rooker? I can't imagine Swinarski graduated high school early to redshirt, and we desperately need someone with some gap power other than Rea. We are going to have a tough time playing station to station baseball with so many swing and miss guys on this roster. There has to be a trade off between lack of power and making contact, and this seems to be a real problem with this team. If it were me, I would find a way to get Humphreys and Garner in the lineup every day for a week or so and see if they can get going. Detz is in a bad funk right now and could probably use a couple of days off to clear his head.

Goat Holder
02-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Additionally, is there any chance that we activate a guy like Swinarski or Rooker? I can't imagine Swinarski graduated high school early to redshirt, and we desperately need someone with some gap power other than Rea.

No to your first question. Regards to your second, I actually think Swinarski planned to be redshirted this year. Something about how getting college coaching would actually be better than playing high school ball.

We are going to have a tough time playing station to station baseball with so many swing and miss guys on this roster. There has to be a trade off between lack of power and making contact, and this seems to be a real problem with this team.

We don't play station to station baseball. That went out with Polk.

You can't always solve these head issues by benching people and changing philosophy. Just have to grind through it.

Bigedawg
02-24-2014, 11:12 AM
I guess station to station is a bad way to describe our style. Small ball is what I would describe it as ala working the pitch count, bunt game, hit and run, slapping the ball through the 5 hole, etc. It is frustrating to me how our hitters are never aggressive early in the count. I understand the value of getting pitch counts up, but it seems like our hitters are always behind in the count and forced to take defensive swings at the plate. Some of these guys look like their approach at the plate is hoping to get walked or hbp. Holy Cross was aggressive early against fast balls and it paid off. Cohen and Thompson's entire pitching philosophy is predicated on "strike one"; so I think other teams are going to be aggressive early in the count. I think the book on us offensively is that we will not be aggressive early in the count, and the opposing teams are attacking the strike zone early with fastballs. It seems to be working considering the number of strike outs we are putting up right now. I agree that this is our style and it served us well last season. I think we'll get going and that Vickerson can be sort of a Frazier light. We desparately need CT, Demarcus, Detz, and Pirtle to carry us until the younger guys get up to speed. It's still February and I think we'll be fine, but some of these losses will be killer to the RPI.

messageboardsuperhero
02-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Has the Young pitcher from JUCO been shut down for the year? I know a lot of people had high hopes for him being a rotation type pitcher, but there was some troubling things regarding how many pitches he was throwing toward the end of last season in JUCO. Additionally, is there any chance that we activate a guy like Swinarski or Rooker? I can't imagine Swinarski graduated high school early to redshirt, and we desperately need someone with some gap power other than Rea. We are going to have a tough time playing station to station baseball with so many swing and miss guys on this roster. There has to be a trade off between lack of power and making contact, and this seems to be a real problem with this team. If it were me, I would find a way to get Humphreys and Garner in the lineup every day for a week or so and see if they can get going. Detz is in a bad funk right now and could probably use a couple of days off to clear his head.

Striking out hasn't been a problem recently.

In the first weekend, we struck out 33 times in 3 games, but since then, we've only struck out 22 times in the last 5 games. At the same time, we've continued to draw a lot of walks and HBPs and have generally had a good approach at the plate- the problem now is that the balls just aren't falling in for us offensively. This same thing happened to us last year, and every team goes through a time like this at some point.

This shit happens in baseball, but the worst part is that it's happening against teams like Holy Cross that will hurt our RPI down the road. I still think we'll have a good team later this season- but it sucks that this is happening so early, because it's giving us an uphill climb to host.

Like engie said yesterday, our issues are just like a revolving door- the first weekend we pitch and defend lights out but have trouble putting the ball in play; the next week, we're putting the ball in play but not finding holes and our defense and freshman pitchers are letting us down. It's all just a matter of gaining some confidence, getting guys in the right position to make plays, and putting it all together.

drunkernhelldawg
02-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Reminds me of basketball 96-97. Washington was the next Dampier. Hyche next Super D. Wester - Jones....didn't work out that way.

Horrible season. Worst loss I've ever seen is Wake Forest to kick things off (Great 8 Tourney for being in the final 8 year before). Maybe the tourney has a different name. Not totally sure.

Dallas_Dawg
02-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Pretty sure Tim Duncan was on that Wake Forest team

NeshobaChuck
02-24-2014, 01:01 PM
My thoughts are why isn't Garner getting more reps behind the plate. He hit very well Saturday then wasn't in the lineup Sunday. I just don't get it cause to me Collins and Randolph are struggling behind the dish but Randolph has hit the ball decently. So why not put Randolph at DH and Garner behind the plate??? That's just me though

Goat Holder
02-24-2014, 01:41 PM
Because he sucks.

Only chance Garner has of getting on the field is next year at 1B.

bulldogcountry1
02-24-2014, 01:56 PM
My thoughts are why isn't Garner getting more reps behind the plate. He hit very well Saturday then wasn't in the lineup Sunday. I just don't get it cause to me Collins and Randolph are struggling behind the dish but Randolph has hit the ball decently. So why not put Randolph at DH and Garner behind the plate??? That's just me though

I'm thinking if a guy hasn't played a certain position by now, there's a reason.

MsStateBaseball
02-24-2014, 09:23 PM
After fall practice and haven RS the coaches know what he can do .

Todd4State
02-24-2014, 09:32 PM
I hope Heck is not our best defensive option at SS, because if he is then Cohen is an idiot for not haven given him at least ONE start there so far this season. Although I will say I really question our evaluation process. How can you go from saying Randolph is our starter at C for the season and our best defender to now after 8 games basically taking him totally out of the mix. Also, Britton is starting to look as shaky at SS as he was as a true freshman.

There's a reason I place very little emphasis on scrimmages. Some guys are good "practice players" but then when the lights come on, they act like they are lost. And then other guys are the opposite.

You really don't know what you've got until they go out there and play an actual game against someone.

State82
02-24-2014, 10:09 PM
There's a reason I place very little emphasis on scrimmages. Some guys are good "practice players" but then when the lights come on, they act like they are lost. And then other guys are the opposite.

You really don't know what you've got until they go out there and play an actual game against someone.

Absolutely! Scrimmage this, scrimmage that. Tells us nada until the lights come on and the crowds show up in the stands. But we are now beginning to see what we have. And it's concerning to say the least. Maybe we have some of the opposite types Todd was referring to. At least I hope so. Like Clowney at S.C. Spurrier said last week, when asked about Clowney's work ethic. "It's ok" was his response. But he added that when the ball is snapped, he explodes. We need some of those types on the diamond.

DogDaddy
02-25-2014, 08:08 AM

Swinarkski can't be "activated". He's a walk-on (this year). Thus, that precludes him from being added to the 35 man roster. Doubtful on Rooker, too. Although he's not a walk-on, should something happen to Rea, Detz and/or Humphries would go to 1b.

This team will be fine. Lots of talent and young guys feeling their way right now. Coach Cohen is one of the best around. A 4-4 record certainly isn't what anybody expected at this point in the season but none of those games count in the SEC standings. They will end up being a very, very solid club and do well. Remember Bulldog Nation - patience is a virtue and you COULD be a Rebel fan......

DogDaddy
02-25-2014, 08:10 AM

Exactly! Playing/performing in a scrimmage is a lot different than playing/performing in front of 10,000 maniacs at LSU!

mparkerfd20
02-25-2014, 08:43 AM
I can't help but remember the Skip Bertman LSU teams of the 90s. They always seemed to struggle early with some real head scratcher losses. They would then turn it on about midseason and were nearly unbeatable. I see a lot of the same qualities in this team. At least I'm still holding out hope and Cohen's track record shows his teams always improve. Can we improve enough to host is now the question. I still think we can at this point.

maroonmania
02-25-2014, 09:46 AM
I can't help but remember the Skip Bertman LSU teams of the 90s. They always seemed to struggle early with some real head scratcher losses. They would then turn it on about midseason and were nearly unbeatable. I see a lot of the same qualities in this team. At least I'm still holding out hope and Cohen's track record shows his teams always improve. Can we improve enough to host is now the question. I still think we can at this point.

The difference in us now and them at the time though is that those LSU teams were LOADED with hitters that just took some games to get their rhythm and then they starting beating people where they routinely scored double digits with lots of HRs. The bad part about a slow start for us is that even if we start winning its going to be more of the 5-3, 6-4 type games. We have mostly punch and judy hitters (besides Rea) so its difficult to score enough runs to put much separation between you and the other team so consistent pitching and making all the routine plays becomes vitally important. We aren't doing much of either right now. Our errors, walks given up and allowing teams to get key 2 out hits against our best pitchers have been a recipe for much losing lately. You can't try to live on pitching and defense and then not be solid in both. I mean we've played 8 games against less than stellar competition and still haven't scored more than 7 runs in ANY game.

Eric Nies Grind Time
02-25-2014, 10:56 AM
I mean we've played 8 games against less than stellar competition and still haven't scored more than 7 runs in ANY game.

I think you mean 8. Haven't scored more than 8 runs. We are getting on base over 40% of the time. It's just that we aren't driving the guys in. Keep getting on base and good things will happen eventually.

messageboardsuperhero
02-25-2014, 11:52 AM
I think you mean 8. Haven't scored more than 8 runs. We are getting on base over 40% of the time. It's just that we aren't driving the guys in. Keep getting on base and good things will happen eventually.

This x1000.

We have plenty of run scorers who get on base, we just need a couple more run producers to help Rea drive them in. Hopefully we can get Garner in the lineup everyday to help with that.