PDA

View Full Version : Baseball hypothetical...

CadaverDawg
02-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Let's assume Cohen is pissed and decides to lock in his best 8, as of right now, to start in all 6 games this coming week.

Who would those best 8 be? Based on what you've seen, what is your starting lineup Tuesday night, including your starting pitcher?

CadaverDawg
02-23-2014, 04:34 PM
Me...

Vickerson LF
Detz DH
Rea 1B
Pirtle 2B
Humphreys 3B
Bradford CF
Garner C
Henderson RF
Heck SS

Will James
02-23-2014, 04:37 PM
Vickerson - LF
Detz - DH
Pirtle - 2B
Rea - 1B
Garner - C
Heck - SS
Humphreys - 3B
Henderson - RF
Robson - CF

CadaverDawg
02-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Who would your pitching starters be this week. 6 games is going to stretch us

Will James
02-23-2014, 04:43 PM
Who would your pitching starters be this week. 6 games is going to stretch us

Woody Lingo and Fitts are most solid. Bracewell and Ross for multiple innings out of pen. Gentry and Cox shut down innings and throw if we are up big. Holder gonna Holder I guess.

CadaverDawg
02-23-2014, 04:52 PM
So do we start Cox Tuesday night? Or maybe Preston Brown?

sandjunky
02-23-2014, 04:58 PM
So do we start Cox Tuesday night? Or maybe Preston Brown?

Per Cohen, Bracewell will get nod on Tuesday

CadaverDawg
02-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Per Cohen, Bracewell will get nod on Tuesday

Oh ok, thanks.

It_Could_Happen
02-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Rea 1st
Pirtle 2nd
Hann SS ( i know that's not a popular choice but he's the best option right now)
Humph 3rd
J-Vick LF
CT CF
Cody Brown Rf
Garner C
Detz DH

Your Ace: Trevor Fitts

Coach34
02-23-2014, 05:14 PM
Hann is a 2nd baseman- he doesn't have the arm to play SS
Seems like Britton may not have the stones to play SS
What's wrong with Heck?

Squidawg11
02-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Vickerson LF
Detz DH
Rea 1B
Garner C
Humphreys 3B
Pirtle 2B
Bradford CF
Henderson RF
Hann SS

Will James
02-23-2014, 05:21 PM
What's wrong with Heck?

Cohen won't write his name down

It_Could_Happen
02-23-2014, 05:34 PM
Cohen won't write his name down

You seem to really like this guy for only having 2 AB's.

Todd4State
02-23-2014, 05:41 PM
Hann is a 2nd baseman- he doesn't have the arm to play SS
Seems like Britton may not have the stones to play SS
What's wrong with Heck?

I'm all for giving Heck a shot, but if that doesn't work out, I would move Pirtle to SS and then play Hann at second.

Will James
02-23-2014, 05:47 PM
You seem to really like this guy for only having 2 AB's.

He had 80 plate appearances in the fall for a .500 OBP.

Todd4State
02-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Right now:

C- Collins. Has been our best defensive option. Wish he would hit a little bit better. But we can't afford a bunch of passed balls.

1B- Rea. No brainer.

2B- Hann. Gets to most balls and hit a double today.

3B- Humphreys.

SS- Pirtle. Played some SS in the fall a couple of years ago and did pretty well. And it puts him in a leadership position.

LF- Vickerson. Playing well after a rough start.

CF- CT. He's hitting .267 coming into today.

RF- Demarcus. Playing very well and gives us some speed.

DH- Garner. Hitting .400 and gives us some power.

Rotation:

Fri.- Lindgren
Sat.- Fitts
Sun.- Woodruff

RAYn_Man
02-23-2014, 06:47 PM
C - Collins. Has done best job so far, good arm. Has a good swing so the hitting will come

1B - Wes

MIF - Pirtle and Heck. Heck is a good defender but I am skeptical about his arm strength. Pirtle is very good at 2B so I think just leave him there. But Heck has gotten two chances at the plate and has hit two balls pretty hard, so I see him playing a lot more.

3B - Detz. I know y'all think Reid is the future but he hasn't proven that he is a more reliable option. Detz needs to be in the lineup so we have to start him here.

LF - Jake Vick. Rough start but has shown he's the real deal.

CF - CT. Will struggle at the plate but one of best defensive outfielders you will find. Senior leader will figure it out.

RF - Demarcus. Again, we all know Demarcus will do Demarcus things. But in the end he scraps with the best of them and is just a great athlete.

DH - Garner. Dude takes hacks. Which is good because it seems like half our team is just trying to make contact. Need to find some power somewhere.

I think this is us putting our best foot forward. Allows for Humphreys and C Brown/Robson to pinch hit and Armstrong to pinch run.

War Machine Dawg
02-23-2014, 06:54 PM
LF: Vick - Speed, great D, showing signs of life at the plate

CF: CT - Ditto Vick

RF: Henderson - Been good with the bat, but Hendo gonna Hendo on the basepaths

1B: Rea - The Grizzly appeared to have come outta hibernation against HC

2B: Pirtle - Arguably our best all-around player

SS: Heck - Give him a shot. If it doesn't work, go with Pirtle here and Hann at 2B.

3B: Humphries - I love Detz, but he's got the range of a corpse at 3B.

C: Collins - Probably our best all-around option, although I still want to see Garner get just 1 chance to show us he can't do the job.

DH: Garner - Getting hits and gives us some juice from a player not name Grizzly Rea. If he could take over the C job, put Detz here.

Rotation:

Fri. - Woody
Sat. - Fitts
Sun. - Bracewell

Closer: Holder if healthy, Hudson if not. Dude has the elite fastball and a nasty breaking pitch needed to excel in this role.

CadaverDawg
02-23-2014, 07:04 PM
I'm surprised we have so many people that would put Detz on the bench. I'm not saying he should start at 3B, but his bat should never be taken out of our lineup in my opinion. The dude is an on base machine. Garner looked good in the fall, and had a good game the other day...but has he already done enough to replace a Senior, on base percentage leader that helped get us to a national Championship last year?

Maybe you guys are right, but seems like we have a lot of fans that take a small sample size and make too much of it. Detz has proven he could do it throughout an entire season. Garner has had one good game. Hardly reason to bench Detz IMO

Will James
02-23-2014, 07:11 PM
Detz plays. No question about it.

WinningIsRelentless
02-23-2014, 07:38 PM
Detz at 3rd all the way. I don't care if he is slower, he is willing to sacrifice his body for the ball. Reid has never been and will never be a 3rd baseman.

Will James
02-23-2014, 08:16 PM
LF - Vickerson - Armstrong can't hit. He's got what we need in the leadoff spot.

CF - Tough. Battle between Robson and CT. If Robson gets it done at the plate in the next couple weeks and CT still pops up to the infield on the first pitch all the time then its Robson.

RF - Henderson.

3B - Detz. I think we have to go with Detz here. If Walker catches (I guess Garner cant) then Humphreys is the odd man out of the lineup (if Garner DH's)

SS - Lets see what Heck's got. Hann can't hit. Britton can't do the job.

2B - Pirtle. He doesn't need to play SS.... Not when we have Heck's glove there.

1B - Rea

C - Walker if Garner can't get it done.

DH- Garner

Goat Holder
02-23-2014, 08:27 PM
Agreed. Anyone advocating taking Detz out of the lineup is a freaking moron.

Meant for this to be a reply to Will James' post.

Goat Holder
02-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Take your best hitters: Garner, Rea, Bradford, Detz, Pirtle, Henderson, Brown, Armstrong

Take your best fielders: Rea, Britton, Bradford, Pirtle, Brown, Armstrong, Collins, Henderson

Looks to me like Collins has to start at catcher, we have no one else. Look, Garner sucks at catcher. That option is out unless you want to see more of Randolph, except in a redshirt freshman.

The infield is Detz, Britton, Pirtle and Rea. No other option there. Britton is our best infielder. I know he's making errors but everybody is.

The outfield is set too it seems: Vickerson, Bradford, Henderson. I don't see that you need to change anything.

Garner has to hit. He's the DH. Done.

Humphreys has looked as bad as Detz at 3B. Hann hasn't looked any worse than the others, but not really better either. Moving Pirtle to SS is dumb, because you then have the same problem with who's playing 2B.

It's a mindset with these guys. They've reading too much press about themselves.

messageboardsuperhero
02-23-2014, 08:41 PM
1B- Rea
2B- Pirtle
SS- At least give Heck a shot. Didn't he have a .990 fielding percentage or something ridiculous like that in JUCO? He really hit well in the fall too. If Heck can't, Hann has been pretty reliable defensively on the routine plays, so I'd give him the nod over Britton.
3B- Detz. His bat must be in the lineup.
LF- Vickerson. We have our leadoff hitter.
CF- Bradford. Robson could play some as well.
RF- Henderson. Could see a little of Cody Brown.
C- Collins/Walker
DH- Garner

Fri- Woodruff
Sat- Fitts
Sun- Bracewell

Midweek- Hudson

Bullpen- Mitchell, Holder, Cox, Gentry, Lindgren (who should get way more innings), and Brown

Goat Holder
02-23-2014, 08:47 PM
I'm OK with Heck getting a shot too, since we don't really know what we're getting with him. We know with Hann that we aren't getting an upgrade over Britton. Both the Canadian's times will come next year, with Hann likely taking over for Pirtle and Robson taking over for Bradford. So changing the lineup around too much isn't going to help us all that much.

Coach34
02-23-2014, 09:14 PM
I love Britton and see the ability- but if he doesnt have the "IT" inside of him to be an SEC SS- we have to move on. I want him to workout- but he has to step it up

War Machine Dawg
02-23-2014, 09:19 PM
I love Britton and see the ability- but if he doesnt have the "IT" inside of him to be an SEC SS- we have to move on. I want him to workout- but he has to step it up

Exactly. And I'm of the opinion that if "it" isn't clicking by his JR year, "it" probably won't. Hell, if he'd been as good as everyone says, I don't know why he didn't get a shot at 3B early last season when we were struggling there.

Intramural All-American
02-23-2014, 09:23 PM
Hate to break it to you, but Humphries and Henderson are in the doghouse majorly. Don't be surprised if you don't see them for a while, especially Humphries. Too many mental mistakes as well as poor play.

Britton doesn't have the bat to play. His best attribute is his fielding, and that has been shaky at best.

Garner's bat has to be in the lineup, as does Detz's. So Detz at 3B and Garner at DH.

I'd go

Collins
Rea
Pirtle
Heck (because he can't do worse than the others)
Detz
Vickerson
Bradford
Henderson (if he stays in the doghouse, armstrong)
Garner (DH)

Woody
Fitts
Lindgren

War Machine Dawg
02-23-2014, 09:25 PM
Hate to break it to you, but Humphries and Henderson are in the doghouse majorly. Don't be surprised if you don't see them for a while, especially Humphries. Too many mental mistakes as well as poor play.

Source? MaroonThroat?

Not doubting, just curious.

War Machine Dawg
02-23-2014, 09:29 PM
I'm surprised we have so many people that would put Detz on the bench. I'm not saying he should start at 3B, but his bat should never be taken out of our lineup in my opinion. The dude is an on base machine. Garner looked good in the fall, and had a good game the other day...but has he already done enough to replace a Senior, on base percentage leader that helped get us to a national Championship last year?

Maybe you guys are right, but seems like we have a lot of fans that take a small sample size and make too much of it. Detz has proven he could do it throughout an entire season. Garner has had one good game. Hardly reason to bench Detz IMO

I think it's mostly that we're trying to get our best defense 8 on the diamond at the same time. Detz isn't one of those 8, and his lack of range puts extra pressure on the SS. Hell, I'd love to find a way to keep his bat in the lineup, but we need some pop, and Garner gives us that. Plus, he's hit so far and Detz hasn't.

If I did anything, I'd move Vick over to RF and stick Detz in LF, but that hurts us in the OF just as much. In an ideal world, Garner would win the C job, freeing us up to DH Detz.

CadaverDawg
02-23-2014, 09:33 PM

Britton doesn't have the bat to play. His best attribute is his fielding, and that has been shaky at best.

Garner's bat has to be in the lineup, as does Detz's. So Detz at 3B and Garner at DH.

I'd go

Collins
Rea
Pirtle
Detz
Vickerson
Bradford
Garner (DH)

Woody
Fitts
Lindgren

Why would Henderson and Humphreys be in the dog house? Hell, just yesterday Cohen said he doesn't blame Henderson on getting thrown out at 3rd. Said he watched the replay and the only way they get him on that play is with a perfect throw, and they got one. And how in the hell can you put a True Freshman in the dog house for "mental errors" 8 games into the season when he hasn't played but about 7 innings?

I ain't buying it, unless it was something off the field they did.

Intramural All-American
02-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Can't give out the source, but it's someone very close to the team. I hope it turns out false because I think Humphries has a ton of potential, but I was told last night Cohen was very upset with him.

CadaverDawg
02-23-2014, 09:35 PM
I think it's mostly that we're trying to get our best defense 8 on the diamond at the same time. Detz isn't one of those 8, and his lack of range puts extra pressure on the SS. Hell, I'd love to find a way to keep his bat in the lineup, but we need some pop, and Garner gives us that. Plus, he's hit so far and Detz hasn't.

If I did anything, I'd move Vick over to RF and stick Detz in LF, but that hurts us in the OF just as much. In an ideal world, Garner would win the C job, freeing us up to DH Detz.

I understand where you guys are coming from, but again, Garner has "given us pop" in one game....one. Detz has given us a great OBP for an entire season, and he even played 3rd base for a team that went to the Championship. He may not be great, but he is far from a huge liability over there.

But that's just my opinion

War Machine Dawg
02-23-2014, 09:35 PM
Why would Henderson and Humphreys be in the dog house? Hell, just yesterday Cohen said he doesn't blame Henderson on getting thrown out at 3rd. Said he watched the replay and the only way they get him on that play is with a perfect grow, and they got one. And how in the hell can you put a True Freshman in the dog house for "mental errors" 8 games into the season when he hasn't played but about 7 innings?

This is why I'm wondering about IAA's source on this. Doesn't really make since, unless they're ****ing around in practice. But if they were doing that, I'd imagine the Intense Bastard would just outright bench them.

CadaverDawg
02-23-2014, 09:37 PM
Can't give out the source, but it's someone very close to the team. I hope it turns out false because I think Humphries has a ton of potential, but I was told last night Cohen was very upset with him.

About what? You said "mental errors". He hasn't had a bunch of mental errors, and hasn't played enough games to have many. Is it something off the field?

And Henderson has been one of our better offensive players so far this season. So if Cohen thinks he's making mental errors, we will have to sit the whole team next game.

Intramural All-American
02-23-2014, 09:37 PM
Why would Henderson and Humphreys be in the dog house? Hell, just yesterday Cohen said he doesn't blame Henderson on getting thrown out at 3rd. Said he watched the replay and the only way they get him on that play is with a perfect grow, and they got one. And how in the hell can you put a True Freshman in the dog house for "mental errors" 8 games into the season when he hasn't played but about 7 innings?

Missed signs and baserunning errors as well as poor defensive play. As for Henderson, don't think he is in as big of the doghouse as Humphries.

Feel free to call me out if the info turns out wrong because I hope it is. Plus, my internet feelings won't get too hurt.

War Machine Dawg
02-23-2014, 09:40 PM
I understand where you guys are coming from, but again, Garner has "given us pop" in one game....one. Detz has given us a great OBP for an entire season, and he even played 3rd base for a team that went to the Championship. He may not be great, but he is far from a huge liability over there.

But that's just my opinion

I see it both ways. I wouldn't be opposed to leaving Detz at 3B. Mostly, I just think we're all incredibly frustrated as a fan base right now. I can understand dropping a game to WCU against a legit ace when we didn't even know we'd be playing them until about 24-48 hours beforehand. But choking away 3 games to Memphis and Holy Cross is bullshit, especially Holy Cross. And it's even moreso the way we lost those 3 games: Defensive errors that caused us to beat ourselves. And I don't just mean "errors" in terms of "Es" on the board. Like in the first inning today, we weren't charged an E, but 2 errors on Hann & Collins directly led to a run. You can be bad defensively without being charged an E, and that's where we are right now.

CadaverDawg
02-23-2014, 09:41 PM
Missed signs and baserunning errors as well as poor defensive play. As for Henderson, don't think he is in as big of the doghouse as Humphries.

Feel free to call me out if the info turns out wrong because I hope it is. Plus, my internet feelings won't get too hurt.

Not saying you're wrong...just trying to make sense of it. Humphreys is a true Freshman that is 8 games in, so he would have to do far more than make a few mental errors to get in the doghouse one would think. If he is in the doghouse, I guarantee you it is for something else, like bitching about playing time or having a bad attitude or something.

War Machine Dawg
02-23-2014, 09:44 PM

Nah, no need to call you out. I think we're all in the same boat of hoping you're wrong. Hendu gonna Hendu, and Cohen oughta know that by now. Mostly solid, but make the occasional boneheaded play, usually when running the bases.

Intramural All-American
02-23-2014, 09:47 PM
And I'm just telling you what my source told me last night. Cohen may change his mind or he may not, but I can guarantee you that Cohen is pissed at him. I can also say it is for the reasons I'm telling you. But you don't have to believe me, that's your rite.

CadaverDawg
02-23-2014, 09:50 PM
And I'm just telling you what my source told me last night. Cohen may change his mind or he may not, but I can guarantee you that Cohen is pissed at him. I can also say it is for the reasons I'm telling you. But you don't have to believe me, that's your rite.

Again, not saying I don't believe you...I'm asking you if you can elaborate? What mental errors? On the field or off the field? Did your guy just say that and end the convo, or can you tell us why? Thanks

Intramural All-American
02-23-2014, 09:52 PM
Nah, no need to call you out. I think we're all in the same boat of hoping you're wrong. Hendu gonna Hendu, and Cohen oughta know that by now. Mostly solid, but make the occasional boneheaded play, usually when running the bases.

Yea I'm a big Henderson fan because he generally seems to get clutch hits for us. The 3-base error on him was a big issue, and I was told he had one or two other things in the second game that Cohen was upset about, but I was at the basketball game at that point so I'm not positive what they were. He played very well in the field during the first game, too, so hopefully he will get back in soon. Let's just say it's not a coincidence that neither he nor Humphries were in the lineup for today's big game.

Intramural All-American
02-23-2014, 09:58 PM
Again, not saying I don't believe you...I'm asking you if you can elaborate? What mental errors? On the field or off the field? Did your guy just say that and end the convo, or can you tell us why? Thanks

He didn't run a 3-2 count with 2 outs when he was on 1st base. He also didn't run on a flyball that was hit when he was on 2nd with two outs. Mental baserunning errors that show that he isn't aware of the game situation around him. Then, add to that the defensive issues, and the strikeouts. I don't want to say much more because I don't want to out the source. The main problem for us, though, is that we haven't had a SS or 3B to stand up a take the positions. But Cohen would much rather play Detz, a guy with a good bat who he trusts, than a true freshman he can't rely on.

preachermatt83
02-23-2014, 11:21 PM
1B- Rea
2B- Pirtle
SS- At least give Heck a shot. Didn't he have a .990 fielding percentage or something ridiculous like that in JUCO? He really hit well in the fall too. If Heck can't, Hann has been pretty reliable defensively on the routine plays, so I'd give him the nod over Britton.
3B- Detz. His bat must be in the lineup.
LF- Vickerson. We have our leadoff hitter.
CF- Bradford. Robson could play some as well.
RF- Henderson. Could see a little of Cody Brown.
C- Collins/Walker
DH- Garner

Fri- Woodruff
Sat- Fitts
Sun- Bracewell

Midweek- Hudson

Bullpen- Mitchell, Holder, Cox, Gentry, Lindgren (who should get way more innings), and Brown

my thoughts EXACTLY!

with a line up like this....

1. Vickerson
2. Henderson
3. Garner
4. Pirtle
5. Rea
6. Detz
7. Bradford
8. Heck
9. collins

CadaverDawg
02-23-2014, 11:30 PM
my thoughts EXACTLY!

1. Vickerson
2. Henderson
3. Garner
4. Pirtle
5. Rea
6. Detz
7. Bradford
8. Heck
9. collins

Wut?

Preacher man, you ain't supposed to get that deep into the sauce. Ha

Henderson 2nd? Rea 5th?? Detz 6th? You want to give Henderson and Garner more at bats than Rea, Pirtle, and Detz?

I actually agree with that group of players...just not that order

messageboardsuperhero
02-23-2014, 11:35 PM
my thoughts EXACTLY!

1. Vickerson
2. Henderson
3. Garner
4. Pirtle
5. Rea
6. Detz
7. Bradford
8. Heck
9. collins

No... Just, no. No offense, but that order is awful. This is what I was would like:

Vickerson
Detz
Pirtle
Rea
Garner
Heck
Bradford
Collins
Henderson

Granted, I know Cohen likes Rea 3rd and Pirtle cleanup- but this is just what I'd personally like to see.

CadaverDawg
02-23-2014, 11:48 PM
No... Just, no. No offense, but that order is awful. This is what I was would like:

Vickerson
Detz
Pirtle
Rea
Garner
Heck
Bradford
Collins
Henderson

Granted, I know Cohen likes Rea 3rd and Pirtle cleanup- but this is just what I'd personally like to see.

I like this lineup

preachermatt83
02-24-2014, 01:10 AM
Wut?

Preacher man, you ain't supposed to get that deep into the sauce. Ha

Henderson 2nd? Rea 5th?? Detz 6th? You want to give Henderson and Garner more at bats than Rea, Pirtle, and Detz?

I actually agree with that group of players...just not that order

Staggering the line-up works best when you have a team in a huge hitting slump . Its shakes things up and helps to balance the line up

MarketingBully01
02-24-2014, 02:15 AM
Detz at 3rd all the way. I don't care if he is slower, he is willing to sacrifice his body for the ball. Reid has never been and will never be a 3rd baseman.

Gotta kick out of this post. I have seen Detz dive for a ball once at third. Once. And saying Humph will never be a 3rd baseman is just a laugh riot full of shit fail statement.

MarketingBully01
02-24-2014, 02:27 AM

I'd go

Collins
Rea
Pirtle
Detz
Vickerson
Bradford
Garner (DH)

Woody
Fitts
Lindgren

I do believe you and this is the type of crap on why we won't have a good team this year and why we are struggling. You can't hold grudges like this on good players without it having consequences down the road. Cohen is going to punish us because he won't put the best lineup out there. I hope we do right the ship but this internal crap you are putting out here on a message board doesn't give me confidence we will. Humphreys is a freshman so he it will take sometime for him to adjust to the college level. But taking him out in inning four of games he starts and putting Britton in as his replacement can't be giving him confidence. With that said, I just hope Cohen finds a lineup and sticks with it. Young players need reps at batting to get into a groove and just yanking them out for no real reason or just giving them a pinch hit here and there isn't going to cut it.

Todd4State
02-24-2014, 02:40 AM
Well, it doesn't really surprise me about Demarcus and Reid.

Demarcus made a BIG error that cost us a couple of runs and that was probably more of the issue than getting thrown out on a bang bang play at third. He pretty much whiffed on a ball hit right at him.

I noticed that Reid made an error and was pulled out of the game his next at bat. I think was around the fourth or fifth inning. I definitely noticed. A player missing signs and things like that are usually not going to be noticed by a casual fan or a fan watching on HailStateTV because they usually aren't going to show what is going on the basepaths like a MLB game would. And usually when it happens in MLB, it's the analyst that is going to see it and point it out. Jim and Bart are not the kind of announcers are not the kind of guys that are going to point that out even though I'm pretty sure they noticed the loafing.

One thing I do like about Cohen is he is not going to put up with crap like this.

I have a pretty good source for info about Northwest Rankin baseball. One day I was asking them about Humphreys and one of the first things that came out of their mouth was about immaturity. I didn't think too much about it because he was a rising junior at that point in time.

Todd4State
02-24-2014, 02:48 AM
I do believe you and this is the type of crap on why we won't have a good team this year and why we are struggling. You can't hold grudges like this on good players without it having consequences down the road. Cohen is going to punish us because he won't put the best lineup out there. I hope we do right the ship but this internal crap you are putting out here on a message board doesn't give me confidence we will. Humphreys is a freshman so he it will take sometime for him to adjust to the college level. But taking him out in inning four of games he starts and putting Britton in as his replacement can't be giving him confidence. With that said, I just hope Cohen finds a lineup and sticks with it. Young players need reps at batting to get into a groove and just yanking them out for no real reason or just giving them a pinch hit here and there isn't going to cut it.

I disagree. Only because when you have players making mental mistakes it will KILL you. And it will kill you a lot worse than it will a .200 hitter playing average defense hitting 8th. You can not demand that your team play all out hard and then excuse a guy that isn't going all out because he has more talent than the other players on the team. And by doing this, it sends a message to Humphreys that he better get his ass in gear if he wants to play which is going to actually help him and make him a better player and help him to reach his potential. It's better that he learns this now as opposed to when he gets to pro ball- and he can ask his brother about that. They do NOT tolerate mental mistakes and laziness in MLB. I've seen guys get sent down to AAA over it before.

If Humphreys loses his confidence over this, he is not going to succeed in any high level baseball league.

More than likely he will learn a lesson from this and become better.

MarketingBully01
02-24-2014, 03:28 AM
I disagree. Only because when you have players making mental mistakes it will KILL you. And it will kill you a lot worse than it will a .200 hitter playing average defense hitting 8th. You can not demand that your team play all out hard and then excuse a guy that isn't going all out because he has more talent than the other players on the team. And by doing this, it sends a message to Humphreys that he better get his ass in gear if he wants to play which is going to actually help him and make him a better player and help him to reach his potential. It's better that he learns this now as opposed to when he gets to pro ball- and he can ask his brother about that. They do NOT tolerate mental mistakes and laziness in MLB. I've seen guys get sent down to AAA over it before.

If Humphreys loses his confidence over this, he is not going to succeed in any high level baseball league.

More than likely he will learn a lesson from this and become better.

Hope you are right but that same behavior looks like it didn't effect Britton's playing time. He was all loaf in the Memphis game at short and cost us that game. I just hope Cohen isn't playing favorites here is all I am saying. There are plenty of players loafing/not playing well to go around to just single out Humphreys and Henderson.

I seen it dawg
02-24-2014, 04:08 AM
Hope you are right but that same behavior looks like it didn't effect Britton's playing time. He was all loaf in the Memphis game at short and cost us that game. I just hope Cohen isn't playing favorites here is all I am saying. There are plenty of players loafing/not playing well to go around to just single out Humphreys and Henderson.

Seriously? We aren't in a world of travel team mom and dad or high school booster clubs. Give me a break. If Humphreys, as talented as he is, can't hustle and be mentally sharp then he needs a knot jerked in his ass. And the best way to do that to a hotshot, entitled as a high school phenom player is to give him a chance to play. If he takes it for granted and thinks there aren't any other options than him and loafs both physically and mentally....well you sit his ass on the bench and let him figure out why he doesn't see the field. Cohen playing favorites? Get out of little league, absurd to even suggest.