PDA

View Full Version : Did I miss that tonight's game got canceled?

CadaverDawg
05-03-2013, 03:40 PM
HailState TV is showing a double header for tomorrow. Sorry if I'm late to the party on that news, but I had not heard.

Bo Darville
05-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Yes. Doubleheader at 1:00 PM. Cancelled tonight.

CadaverDawg
05-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Yes. Doubleheader at 1:00 PM. Cancelled tonight.

Well that sucks ass. Will it be two 9 inning games? Or 7 inning games?

FFF
05-03-2013, 04:11 PM
2 nine inning, I imagine. No time restrictions on Saturday.

engie
05-03-2013, 04:13 PM
I'm headed up now and have been in constant rain from south Jackson on. We literally haven't hit a single dry patch. It's rare that it's this constant over an entire trip up...

Will James
05-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Well that sucks ass. Will it be two 9 inning games? Or 7 inning games?

9 im almost positive

CadaverDawg
05-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Thanks.

Let me ask you guys a question regarding pitching in a double header...

I used to pitch, but I never had to pitch multiple times in a weekend. For a guy like Ross Mitchell, is it better for your arm to pitch 3 or 4 innings In game 1 of a double header, and then 3 or 4 in game 2 of the double header.....or is it better for your arm to pitch 3 or 4 on Friday night and then 3 or 4 more on Saturday afternoon?

I used to hate having long layovers between innings where I got cold, so I can't imagine having almost a full game in between pitching. But I could possibly see coming back and pitching the next day like a closer does.

The reason I ask is, would we be able to use Ross in both games tomorrow, or would we need to only let him pitch one unless he pitched the end of the 1st game and started the 2nd game? I doubt it will end up mattering, but I'm just curious as to which would be worse for the arm.

ETA: I'm assuming the answer is, don't pitch him twice in the same day with a long layover in between. But pitching him in consecutive days like he does often, is ok, and is the better option.

Todd4State
05-03-2013, 04:32 PM
With our pitching depth, it's highly unlikely we will pitch Ross twice in the same day like that with our dare I say it pitching depth. That's something that would be rarely rare to do under Cohen- in fact, I'm not sure that we ever have done something like that.

We normally use Ross for multiple innings, so my guess is we would probably use him for 3-4 innings or whatever in one of the double header games and then maybe use him one on Sunday if we had to. Remember, we don't have a midweek game next week, and that should allow us to be a little bit more liberal with how we use some guys.

Cohen is probably hoping for at least 7 from Pollorena and then 8-9 from Graveman in game two.

msstate7
05-03-2013, 04:46 PM
With our pitching depth, it's highly unlikely we will pitch Ross twice in the same day like that with our dare I say it pitching depth. That's something that would be rarely rare to do under Cohen- in fact, I'm not sure that we ever have done something like that.

We normally use Ross for multiple innings, so my guess is we would probably use him for 3-4 innings or whatever in one of the double header games and then maybe use him one on Sunday if we had to. Remember, we don't have a midweek game next week, and that should allow us to be a little bit more liberal with how we use some guys.

Cohen is probably hoping for at least 7 from Pollorena and then 8-9 from Graveman in game two.

The question shouldn't have been about Ross, but holder. If he has extended save (7-9) in game 1, can he save game 2? Will the doubleheader force Cohen to wait and use holder in the 9th in game 1?

Todd4State
05-03-2013, 04:50 PM
He will probably use Holder to finish off game one if he has to- you can't assume that you will be in a save situation in game two, and if you gamble with holding Holder back, odds are pretty good that we may not get him in at all. If we have to have someone finish off game two, it will probably be Bracewell, or maybe Ross, or Trevor Fitts.

msstate7
05-03-2013, 04:56 PM
He will probably use Holder to finish off game one if he has to- you can't assume that you will be in a save situation in game two, and if you gamble with holding Holder back, odds are pretty good that we may not get him in at all. If we have to have someone finish off game two, it will probably be Bracewell, or maybe Ross, or Trevor Fitts.

You're right about not assuming save opportunity in game 2, but I hope we don't use holder for 3 innings in game 1. Bracewell pitched well last weekend and I think it's time to let him be bridge to holder. I'd hate to pitch holder 3 innings in game 1 and need him in a situation where we need a strikeout (holder) in game 2. Anyway I think it's time to give bracewell more responsibility

Todd4State
05-03-2013, 09:04 PM
Our starting pitchers are the bridge to Holder by going seven- eight innings. If any of them are pitching well, I'm totally OK with keeping them out there.

It's a fine line with handling pitchers. If a starting pitcher is pitching well, and he has a lead and he is being efficient, you actually can cause some problems by taking a starting pitcher out of a game that is "his game to win". That may sound a little selfish on the surface, but it's not really about that- it actually sends a message to the starting pitcher that you don't trust them, and that can kind of mess with their confidence. And pitchers know when and why they are being taken out usually, and they know what the other pitchers roles are on the team.

You use a relief pitcher when you need to use them. For example, you should use your closer to finish off a game in a save situation or a "big game"- like a championship type game, or if he hasn't been used in awhile. Ben is a set-up man. And because of that, he should be used in set-up type situations. Lately, we haven't had a lot of set-up type situations lately, so he hasn't been used a lot.

msstate7
05-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Our starting pitchers are the bridge to Holder by going seven- eight innings. If any of them are pitching well, I'm totally OK with keeping them out there.

It's a fine line with handling pitchers. If a starting pitcher is pitching well, and he has a lead and he is being efficient, you actually can cause some problems by taking a starting pitcher out of a game that is "his game to win". That may sound a little selfish on the surface, but it's not really about that- it actually sends a message to the starting pitcher that you don't trust them, and that can kind of mess with their confidence. And pitchers know when and why they are being taken out usually, and they know what the other pitchers roles are on the team.

You use a relief pitcher when you need to use them. For example, you should use your closer to finish off a game in a save situation or a "big game"- like a championship type game, or if he hasn't been used in awhile. Ben is a set-up man. And because of that, he should be used in set-up type situations. Lately, we haven't had a lot of set-up type situations lately, so he hasn't been used a lot.

The last 4 sec series our starters averaged the following:

Pollo 5.2 inn per start
Graveman 7.1 inn per start
Lindgren 4.2 inn per start

Todd4State
05-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Correct- and each pitcher has had one or in Lindgren's case two bad outings which have skewed that number against what they normally do. Pollorena has been getting into the sixth or seventh innings, leaving two-three innings left except for Auburn. Graveman has been throwing mostly complete games except for the Vanderbilt series. And in Lindgren's last four outings, one he has lasted one inning again against Venderbilt and another against Florida he got hurt and had to leave the game. The other two he pitched into the 6th and the 9th. If you look at the Vanderbilt series, it is going to skew our starters average innings pitched, which needless to say was not a "normal" performance by any of our pitchers.

And in the Vanderbilt series, which was the one series where our staff by and large did not produce, we used basically every healthy pitcher on the staff except for Holder, Will Cox, and Myles Gentry.

So, I'm not exactly sure what your point is by producing those numbers? If you are saying that we aren't going as deep as I am saying, we are using other pitchers which goes against what you are saying about Bracewell. In the one series that is skewing the numbers, we didn't even use Ross Mitchell until Sunday, and even then it was for a couple of innings.

msstate7
05-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Correct- and each pitcher has had one or in Lindgren's case two bad outings which have skewed that number against what they normally do. Pollorena has been getting into the sixth or seventh innings, leaving two-three innings left except for Auburn. Graveman has been throwing mostly complete games except for the Vanderbilt series. And in Lindgren's last four outings, one he has lasted one inning again against Venderbilt and another against Florida he got hurt and had to leave the game. The other two he pitched into the 6th and the 9th. If you look at the Vanderbilt series, it is going to skew our starters average innings pitched, which needless to say was not a "normal" performance by any of our pitchers.

And in the Vanderbilt series, which was the one series where our staff by and large did not produce, we used basically every healthy pitcher on the staff except for Holder, Will Cox, and Myles Gentry.

So, I'm not exactly sure what your point is by producing those numbers? If you are saying that we aren't going as deep as I am saying, we are using other pitchers which goes against what you are saying about Bracewell. In the one series that is skewing the numbers, we didn't even use Ross Mitchell until Sunday, and even then it was for a couple of innings.

I was just saying that there is a reason to use bracewell. There are innings for him. Most all of the innings in the last four series after the starters leave have been Ross and holder. And yes the numbers were skewed by a bad start, but if you throw out worst start then you should throw out best start too. I just feel to be the best team we can be we need bracewell to pitch and pitch well. I also feel we need your boy fitts also. I too like him.

msstate7
05-04-2013, 12:00 AM
I've been leased with our starts mostly. I do feel lindgren has to be more consistent. He's the most talented by far

msstate7
05-04-2013, 12:01 AM
I've been leased with our starts mostly. I do feel lindgren has to be more consistent. He's the most talented by far
Leased = pleased

Todd4State
05-04-2013, 01:35 AM
If we threw out their best start, then we wouldn't have any numbers to work with hardly.

Ben has pitched pretty well when he has pitched- one run in 2.6 innings with 4 K's this past week with one hit allowed and no walks. It's not like he has looked rusty out there. Of course, that run was allowed against Vanderbilt.

You have to understand that you manage a MLB staff and a college staff differently because of the schedule. It's much shorter in college. And then games are spread out in college as opposed to playing almost everyday for 162 games. Because of that, you can ask your closer to pitch longer. In fact, as a college team, I EXPECT our closer to be able to pitch two innings. As a Cardinals fan, I expect their closer to go one. Also, MLB starters are going to throw about three times as many games as a college pitcher. With a short schedule like that, you HAVE to maximize the talent of your staff. And just about every stat Will James comes up with, Holder is at the top of just about every single one.

With the schedule spread out- Ben really didn't pitch seven games in a row, which would be about like a MLB pitcher not pitching for a week- which is not all that uncommon, especially for a non-closer.

The seven games that Ben sat out:

Gov Cup- Cohen was f-ing around, and I'm glad since I attended some of Ron Polk's "exhibitions" with Brad Corley starting. Ross was in a groove and he finished him off with Holder. No reason to NOT use Ross here when Ole Miss struggles against LH pitching and Ross pitches well at Trustmark Park. Also, since we have to play Ole Miss later- it's probably good that they didn't get a look at much of our bullpen.

Texas A&M- Pollo pitched 6.1 innings and we brought Holder in a save situation on the road.
Texas A&M- Graveman pitched a complete game on 110 pitches.
Texas A&M-Lindgren pitched 5.1 innings in a game we were up by 9, then farted around on defense and allowed four runs. Cohen brought in Holder in what was a save situation making damn sure we left with a KEY road sweep. Why didn't we take Holder out? Because he is our closer and we don't have a crystal ball telling us we were going to tack on some more late in the game. Taking a closer out during a save situation can sometimes mess with their head. Not worth risking at this point in the season.

Auburn- Pollorena went 3.1- He couldn't find the strike zone in a goofy rain delayed game. Had we not lost game two, I can almost guarantee you we would have used Ben to finish this out. As it was, we lost the game, and we had to make damn sure we at least came out with a win, which means Holder.
Auburn- Graveman goes 7, and since we were behind we used Fitts.
Auburn- Lindgren goes 8, we bring in Holder because we have to make damn sure we win that series and because Auburn was rallying. Again, not worth taking a chance on blowing it and costing us a potential regional host at that point.

So, if my math in my head is correct- in those SEC starts, our starters logged 39 innings which divided by six SEC starts is 6.something innings, and that includes Pollorena's crap start.

And I know you can say, well what about the Governor's Cup game? Well, OK we pitched Ross for 6 innings ONE times because our pitcher was hurt and after that, the longest he went was three innings. Big deal.

Todd4State
05-04-2013, 01:39 AM

He just has to stay healthy. When he is, he has had good starts other than Vanderbilt where he screwed up a play and didn't put it behind him.

msstate7
05-04-2013, 07:18 AM
If we threw out their best start, then we wouldn't have any numbers to work with hardly.

Ben has pitched pretty well when he has pitched- one run in 2.6 innings with 4 K's this past week with one hit allowed and no walks. It's not like he has looked rusty out there. Of course, that run was allowed against Vanderbilt.

You have to understand that you manage a MLB staff and a college staff differently because of the schedule. It's much shorter in college. And then games are spread out in college as opposed to playing almost everyday for 162 games. Because of that, you can ask your closer to pitch longer. In fact, as a college team, I EXPECT our closer to be able to pitch two innings. As a Cardinals fan, I expect their closer to go one. Also, MLB starters are going to throw about three times as many games as a college pitcher. With a short schedule like that, you HAVE to maximize the talent of your staff. And just about every stat Will James comes up with, Holder is at the top of just about every single one.

With the schedule spread out- Ben really didn't pitch seven games in a row, which would be about like a MLB pitcher not pitching for a week- which is not all that uncommon, especially for a non-closer.

The seven games that Ben sat out:

Gov Cup- Cohen was f-ing around, and I'm glad since I attended some of Ron Polk's "exhibitions" with Brad Corley starting. Ross was in a groove and he finished him off with Holder. No reason to NOT use Ross here when Ole Miss struggles against LH pitching and Ross pitches well at Trustmark Park. Also, since we have to play Ole Miss later- it's probably good that they didn't get a look at much of our bullpen.

Texas A&M- Pollo pitched 6.1 innings and we brought Holder in a save situation on the road.
Texas A&M- Graveman pitched a complete game on 110 pitches.
Texas A&M-Lindgren pitched 5.1 innings in a game we were up by 9, then farted around on defense and allowed four runs. Cohen brought in Holder in what was a save situation making damn sure we left with a KEY road sweep. Why didn't we take Holder out? Because he is our closer and we don't have a crystal ball telling us we were going to tack on some more late in the game. Taking a closer out during a save situation can sometimes mess with their head. Not worth risking at this point in the season.

Auburn- Pollorena went 3.1- He couldn't find the strike zone in a goofy rain delayed game. Had we not lost game two, I can almost guarantee you we would have used Ben to finish this out. As it was, we lost the game, and we had to make damn sure we at least came out with a win, which means Holder.
Auburn- Graveman goes 7, and since we were behind we used Fitts.
Auburn- Lindgren goes 8, we bring in Holder because we have to make damn sure we win that series and because Auburn was rallying. Again, not worth taking a chance on blowing it and costing us a potential regional host at that point.

So, if my math in my head is correct- in those SEC starts, our starters logged 39 innings which divided by six SEC starts is 6.something innings, and that includes Pollorena's crap start.

And I know you can say, well what about the Governor's Cup game? Well, OK we pitched Ross for 6 innings ONE times because our pitcher was hurt and after that, the longest he went was three innings. Big deal.

I suppose you're right bc I do think about bullpen in terms of mlb. What scares the bejesus out of me is the thought of us losing game 2 of a regional and fighting through the losers bracket. I just want more of our pitchers to have actual contested game experience. I'm worried about pitching depth in that situation. I actually like us a lot more in a super weekend. I'm sure I'm worrying too much; but I still have high expectations for this team and don't want our season to come down to an elimination game being pitched by a pitcher with no experience in tough games. Hindsight is 20/20, but it sure would be nice to have used some other starters midweek besides woodruff and Evan. I also would've liked Cohen to bring Evan in a relief situation. Tell him he's coming in to face 1 or 2 batters and see how he reacts in a relief situation. Anyway I wasn't trying to contradict you. I enjoy your posts and hope you're right about pitching depth.

msstate7
05-04-2013, 07:28 AM
He just has to stay healthy. When he is, he has had good starts other than Vanderbilt where he screwed up a play and didn't put it behind him.

Lindgren is my favorite pitcher o. Our staff. I agree that play at 3rd messed him up, but he's got to be able to put it behind him. We've got a midweek starter going on Friday against other teams best. I'm not knocking pollo, but he really isn't talented enough to be a Friday night guy. He has heart if a lion though. Anyway bc of pollo on Fridays, we've got to have an advantage on sats and suns. I like graveman against anyone. Lindgren has to be more consistent. He should be our biggest advantage of the weekend, but you never know with him. I do look for him to have 2 great starts in a row. I like him vs bama and ole miss.

Will James
05-04-2013, 08:05 AM
With the chance of rain tomorrow I'd toss Lindgren and Graveman today. Can't afford to waste one I them.

msstate7
05-04-2013, 08:14 AM
With the chance of rain tomorrow I'd toss Lindgren and Graveman today. Can't afford to waste one I them.

You think graveman's sinker is gonna sink in this cold weather? I'd throw him whichever game is suppose to be the warmest.

Will James
05-04-2013, 08:31 AM
You think graveman's sinker is gonna sink in this cold weather? I'd throw him whichever game is suppose to be the warmest.

He went the distance much colder in Fayetteville

msstate7
05-04-2013, 08:33 AM
He went the distance much colder in Fayetteville

Sure did. Good call will