PDA

View Full Version : Holder

msstate7
02-22-2014, 10:55 PM
You guys worried? I am. Last year in the postseason, he was very shaky and he's starting this year the same.

Who closes if holder can't regain magic?

Saltydog
02-22-2014, 10:57 PM
say Lindgren.

Political Hack
02-22-2014, 11:10 PM
not yet. scouting report is out: swing early in the count. he dwarves his shot to show he can adjust and place that breaking ball early in the count. of he can start doing that, he'll be fine. defense is still coming together and nobody's going yard on Holder right now. if clubs start roping him, it may change. But it's really, really early in the season.

Esmerelda Villalobos
02-22-2014, 11:17 PM
Lindo. Holder is money for 1 out.

preachermatt83
02-22-2014, 11:22 PM
I believe holder will come together.

maroonmania
02-22-2014, 11:30 PM
Well he looked good today. In the 9th that is. Too bad he had already let us lose the lead in the 8th.

War Machine Dawg
02-22-2014, 11:32 PM
Hack is right, the scouting report has come back on Holder. We'll see if he can adjust, but I don't see him as an elite closer, despite how many saves he has. He's a pitch-to-contact closer, and that drives me crazy. The swing-and-miss closers are the ones that are successful long term. Holder's fastball isn't elite, so hitters are spitting on it right now. They're sitting on his curve, which is a very good pitch, and hitting it because he's throwing a ton of them. Unless he comes up with a 3rd pitch, I'm not sure he can make an adjustment that will effectively combat what hitters are doing to him right now.

Dawg61
02-22-2014, 11:40 PM
Holder will be fine. We've been spoiled the last two years going like 80-0 with the lead after the 8th. Better he works out the kinks now then them popping up at the end of the year.

Todd4State
02-22-2014, 11:56 PM
I'm not worried yet. On Weds. he struck out the first two batters- but Randolph couldn't handle the pitch on the second strike out allowing the runner to get on. And then things fell apart. When you are a pitcher with a curve like Holder and you can't rely on your catcher and you've essentially done your job and not gotten rewarded for it- not totally his fault against Memphis. If Randolph handles that curve like he should have- I think that game ends differently.

Today he gave up two singles and then looked like his old self. We should have put Lindgren in instead of Shelly and then let Holder go with a clean inning in the 9th. I think Holder is probably better at the start of an inning as opposed to in a jam.

War Machine Dawg
02-23-2014, 12:13 AM
I'm not worried yet. On Weds. he struck out the first two batters- but Randolph couldn't handle the pitch on the second strike out allowing the runner to get on. And then things fell apart. When you are a pitcher with a curve like Holder and you can't rely on your catcher and you've essentially done your job and not gotten rewarded for it- not totally his fault against Memphis. If Randolph handles that curve like he should have- I think that game ends differently.

Today he gave up two singles and then looked like his old self. We should have put Lindgren in instead of Shelly and then let Holder go with a clean inning in the 9th. I think Holder is probably better at the start of an inning as opposed to in a jam.

Or we could've trusted Mitchell to work his way out of a little trouble like he's done 1000 times. Either way, I agree with giving Holder a clean inning to work with.

lawdawg
02-23-2014, 12:31 AM
The pitch Randolph missed Wed was a fastball.

bully99
02-23-2014, 12:38 AM
I've never been a fan of the multiple inning closer. If we have so many great arms,why is that even necessary.

The most interesting thing was apparently pulling the redshirt off Cody Walker and playing him, which probably means Zach Randolph is probably not going to play a lot.

Todd4State
02-23-2014, 12:43 AM
Or we could've trusted Mitchell to work his way out of a little trouble like he's done 1000 times. Either way, I agree with giving Holder a clean inning to work with.

I would have been fine with that option as well.

Todd4State
02-23-2014, 12:44 AM
The pitch Randolph missed Wed was a fastball.

You are correct and that's even worse. My mistake.

Drugdog
02-23-2014, 10:07 AM
I was sitting behind home plate. Holy Cross hitters smoked two singles.Solid Contact. They knew what pitch was coming.
Hey I'm a little concerned as well.

bully99
02-23-2014, 10:26 AM
Most closers only have one or two pitches. Papelbon was great when he was throwing his 97 mph fastball., but when he lost five mph off his mostly one pitch repertoire, he got lit up. Holder needs to mix his fastball in more.

Saltydog
02-23-2014, 11:21 AM
NONE........That's disappointing IMO........