PDA

View Full Version : So, did anyone hear Cohen on the post game show today? What did he say?

Saltydog
02-22-2014, 10:17 PM
I'm getting very worried about this club. Just so many areas that are weak right now. Holder looked shaky the second of the season last year and he's certainly continuing that plus some so far this year. I didn't think we'd be as good as advertised but I damn sure thought we'd be better than this.

bully99
02-22-2014, 10:44 PM
Hailstate has a channel on YouTube where they put all the interviews and such. Said we lost it in the first. Pretty much threw Sexton under the bus. Kids first start and you call him out by name. And people wonder why I have doubts about Cohen. Said "the young players are doing stupid things". Look in the mirror John.

Saltydog
02-22-2014, 10:46 PM
this game.

preachermatt83
02-22-2014, 11:26 PM
bully99, we agree on many things but this is one we just don't agree on. Cohen is a very good baseball coach. I don't think you realize how bad things had gotten before he got here. We will pick up steam soon. I mean we are off some but you should know that Cohen's teams will get better defensively .

bully99
02-22-2014, 11:52 PM
Preacher, don't take that as me wanting Polk back. I think our program was mismanaged for about 20 years. The multiple Polk resignations, the McMahon coach in waiting, McMahon quitting after four years from what he called his dream job, the bringing Polk back, the Grisham mess. Allowing the facility to become one of the bottom ones in the sec.

But there are things Cohen does that I just do not like, and I've been s baseball fan at all levels for over 40 years. A kid is making his first start and you say it was lost in the first inning. There are good ways and bad ways of talking about things like that.And then saying the young players are doing stupid things.

Will James
02-22-2014, 11:54 PM
We lost to Holy Cross.... These are college players at a major program. Call their asses out. No problem with that.

Todd4State
02-23-2014, 12:08 AM
Hailstate has a channel on YouTube where they put all the interviews and such. Said we lost it in the first. Pretty much threw Sexton under the bus. Kids first start and you call him out by name. And people wonder why I have doubts about Cohen. Said "the young players are doing stupid things". Look in the mirror John.

Bullshit. He didn't call Sexton out by name at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?ATCLID=209412359&SPSID=90857&SPID=10993&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=16800&v=-0CJDFPBaYs

You may not like Cohen- but at least let's not make up shit.

bully99
02-23-2014, 12:24 AM
When he said we lost the game in the first inning who the hell was he talking about.?????? And he did use Sextons name. And the young players are doing stupid things.

shoeless joe
02-23-2014, 12:24 AM
Idiot

Todd4State
02-23-2014, 12:28 AM
Preacher, don't take that as me wanting Polk back. I think our program was mismanaged for about 20 years. The multiple Polk resignations, the McMahon coach in waiting, McMahon quitting after four years from what he called his dream job, the bringing Polk back, the Grisham mess. Allowing the facility to become one of the bottom ones in the sec.

But there are things Cohen does that I just do not like, and I've been s baseball fan at all levels for over 40 years. A kid is making his first start and you say it was lost in the first inning. There are good ways and bad ways of talking about things like that.And then saying the young players are doing stupid things.

What do you want him to say? He mentioned that Holder was off too.

And again- he didn't say anything about Sexton as an individual regarding the first inning. He said the walks (on Sexton) and the errors (Humphreys- a freshman). When you are interviewed like that you have to say SOMETHING. Oh- I guess you could say, "that's baseball". I hate to tell you this- but he is absolutely correct, and furthermore I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sexton told you the same thing.

This is big boy baseball. These guys are going to have their game dissected and it is going to get more and more dissected the further that they go down the road. They also have to learn how to handle that scrutiny.

You talk about the mismanagement of MSU baseball- and a BIG part of the problem was the culture that Polk brought in the second go around where there was a total lack of accountability on the players and their actions on the field- (that's baseball, just go have a good college experience). It resulted in us having teams that were soft and non-competitive and eventually the bottom fell out in 2008.

And on top of that it made Cohen's job a LOT more difficult the first two seasons he was here because he had to completely change the culture.

Cohen has been a breath of fresh air for our baseball program. You may not like him and some of the things he does- but there aren't very many coaches out there that would have had as much success as he has had here in his first five years- much less the last three. And he hasn't even peaked here. What you are saying would be the equivalent of Dan taking us to the NC game in football and then not liking Dan because they don't like the spread option.

Cohen and Butch are not conventional- but a LOT of the best coaches in baseball usually aren't. See Tony LaRussa. Hell- there were Cardinals fans that wanted the man fired because they didn't understand what he was doing. But I got news for you- Bertman wasn't conventional. And I saw him literally cuss a pitcher out on the MOUND at Dudy-Noble Field right there in front of God and everyone. Augie Garrido wasn't conventional. Casey Stengal, etc. Cohen is not conventional- but that's a good thing. All he cares about is winning. And if that means going by the Book of Polk- fine. If that means starting a guy for two innings and then using Girodo- fine.

Todd4State
02-23-2014, 12:39 AM
When he said we lost the game in the first inning who the hell was he talking about.?????? And he did use Sextons name. And the young players are doing stupid things.

Watch the video interview from today that I linked. Next post the time that he specifically said the name "Austin Sexton". He did not mention him even by name ONCE.

Again- he did say that we lost the game in the first inning and he said "we went walk/walk (Obviously about Sexton, but did not mention his name) and THEN he immediately mentioned the defensive errors. He was blaming the defense at least as much if not more than he was blaming Sexton.

But hey- let's not let bias get in the way of facts here.

Todd4State
02-23-2014, 12:42 AM
We lost to Holy Cross.... These are college players at a major program. Call their asses out. No problem with that.

And who said that baseball purists and sabermaticians couldn't agree?

Majors42
02-23-2014, 02:15 AM
Todd dropping bombs up in this mofo.

And I agree with todd 100%. If a player gets upset because a coach says he didn't play well, he will probably never play well. You have to nurture as well as hold players accountable. That's why there is such a thing as film. We will get better, we always do under Cohen and because of that, I'm fine with how he conducts himself.

Intramural All-American
02-23-2014, 02:25 AM
So Bully99 is not sold on a guy that took us to the national championship. Got it.

Todd4State
02-23-2014, 02:46 AM
So Bully99 is not sold on a guy that took us to the national championship. Got it.

And he's also not sold on his recruiting which has yielded two first round draft picks and the number 2 rated class in the country this past year not to mention the players on said NC runner-up team. Not to mention two guys that are near the top of many MSU records in Adam Frazier and Jonathan Holder, All-Americans such as Ross Mitchell, and has 5 of the top 6 juniors in Mississippi committed.

On top of that the team's GPA has improved since Polk left and there was a big article about the baseball team and their faith put out.

maroonmania
02-23-2014, 09:11 AM
Overall, I'm happy with Cohen and there is no doubt he has proven that he gets his teams prepared for end of the year tournament baseball. So far the only thing missing is regular season competitiveness within the SEC. We still haven't had a year under Cohen where we were actually in contention for an SEC title in the last few weekends. I think around 16 or 17 wins is still the best we've done which is barely over .500 and really won't allow you to compete for an SEC title. I was hoping that we would actually compete this year, especially with our favorable schedule, but now I'm not so confident that will happen. Some people are completely satisfied with just showing up well at tournament time but I also enjoy chasing a title during the regular season and that is something we haven't done in a LONG time now. Its ridiculous that a program with our reputation hasn't won an SEC championship since 1989. But really since 89 there has been very few years we've come into the last couple of SEC weekends even remotely in the CHASE for the SEC.

Political Hack
02-23-2014, 09:55 AM
we're 7 games in. outside of the mid-week Memphis loss, I'm not that concerned. the fact that we've recovers to win both weekend series after playing like shit is a decent sign. clean up the defense and allow the pitching rotation to settle in and we should be fine come conference play.

I think Rea, Brown, Pirtle, Hendo, and a few others are going to get on base a lot. We should be pretty solid in the OF, at first, 2nd, and have option at SS and third. Honestly catcher and closer are the only spots I'm a little worried about right now. Holder blowing two saves this early is pretty shocking and he was shakey last year at the end of the season too. Hopefully he'll settle in. He's obviously got the potential.

Bully13
02-23-2014, 09:57 AM
Overall, I'm happy with Cohen and there is no doubt he has proven that he gets his teams prepared for end of the year tournament baseball. So far the only thing missing is regular season competitiveness within the SEC. We still haven't had a year under Cohen where we were actually in contention for an SEC title in the last few weekends. I think around 16 or 17 wins is still the best we've done which is barely over .500 and really won't allow you to compete for an SEC title. I was hoping that we would actually compete this year, especially with our favorable schedule, but now I'm not so confident that will happen. Some people are completely satisfied with just showing up well at tournament time but I also enjoy chasing a title during the regular season and that is something we haven't done in a LONG time now. Its ridiculous that a program with our reputation hasn't won an SEC championship since 1989. But really since 89 there has been very few years we've come into the last couple of SEC weekends even remotely in the CHASE for the SEC.

agreed. it's time we start stringing together some 2 win weekends in the sec. that's one of the things I was counting on this year but my confidence in that at this point is not as strong as it was pre-season. the season is young, so are our players, and we've got a proven head coach. let's see how things move along.

Goat Holder
02-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Bully99 you have been owned. When you fully submit to an agenda without using logic, that's what happens.

bully99
02-23-2014, 10:33 AM
Whatever that means. I'm just not into the group think thing and the sheep don't like it, So be it.

basedog
02-23-2014, 10:37 AM
What happened to the saying "It ain't how you start but how you finish".

Damn, it's early and I can't believe some of the negative comments about Cohen. No one goes undefeated in baseball!

messageboardsuperhero
02-23-2014, 10:52 AM
Whatever that means. I'm just not into the group think thing and the sheep don't like it, So be it.

What "group think thing?" Some of us are just happy with a coach who took us to the damn national championship last year and has been recruiting and developing talent really really well (despite what you seem to think). Nobody's happy about the start of this season, but to seriously question if Cohen belongs here because we've started the season 4-3 (the year after possibly our best season ever) is beyond ridiculous.

You clearly have some whacked out agenda you are pushing- there is no other explanation.

bgdog
02-23-2014, 11:16 AM

Nice cover. I think this nonsensical garbage really kept people from noticing you have no argument.

I seen it dawg
02-23-2014, 11:48 AM

And you said I called someone stupid....

I seen it dawg
02-23-2014, 11:50 AM

Sorry this the post I should have put stupid with

I seen it dawg
02-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Keep em coming hoss...

engie
02-23-2014, 12:03 PM
Team simply isn't putting the pieces together yet. We had it together to start last year -- had a midseason lull for a month(3/4 of which was in conference) -- before getting hot at the end. The fact that our "problems" have been a revolving door of different things point to us playing tight and simply not up to our ability as a team yet.

messageboardsuperhero
02-23-2014, 12:10 PM
Team simply isn't putting the pieces together yet. We had it together to start last year -- had a midseason lull for a month(3/4 of which was in conference) -- before getting hot at the end. The fact that our "problems" have been a revolving door of different things point to us playing tight and simply not up to our ability as a team yet.

This.

We're just not clicking yet- and a lot of good teams have this problem at the beginning of the year. We aren't a top 10 team right now, let alone a top 5 team, but we still have the potential to be very good come SEC play. Just got to put it all together.

BLC
02-23-2014, 12:18 PM
With regards to "calling" the players out or not, I can add that it is simply not an issue with the players themselves. They know darn well what they do well and what mistakes they make. They could care less if a coach calls them out. If the coach wasn't calling them out, they'd be doing it themselves. One of the things this team has is character - that in itself makes them accountable, and believe me they are. Once coach gets all the pieces figured out, this team will be just fine.

CadaverDawg
02-23-2014, 12:52 PM

"Group" think? More like "Having 2 eyes and a functioning brain" think.

bully99
02-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Good to see gene's sheep. Baaaa

CadaverDawg
02-23-2014, 12:59 PM

Do you realize how dumb you look? We went to the National Championship last year.

Jesus, we have a few fans that take stupid to a whole nother level.

engie
02-23-2014, 01:10 PM

Good to see an idiot that has no clue about anything related to baseball commenting as if he does.

Goat Holder
02-23-2014, 02:42 PM
That's Grade A level douchetastic shaming, pal. Your point gets obliterated, so you cry sheep. Just absolutely terrible.

messageboardsuperhero
02-23-2014, 03:05 PM

Do you enjoy watching us lose? I'm just curious.

Todd4State
02-23-2014, 03:19 PM

This "sheep" is still waiting on you to post the time from the video where Cohen mentions Sexton by name.

I don't mind if people call our coaches out- just so long as there are facts and truth behind it.