PDA

View Full Version : Brandon

BeardoMSU
02-21-2014, 06:48 PM
So, for those of you at (or watching) the game, how would y'all rate Woodruff's outing today?

War Machine Dawg
02-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Much better, but he still has work to do. Started out very sharp with good command. Velo was very good, touching 96 according to Jim & Bart. Used his change very effectively. Lost a little bit of command in the 4th, but fought through it and retired 6 in a row with 3 strikeouts from the 4th-6th. Made an E1 defensively that cost him a run. Threw 97 pitches. Certainly not what he's capable of, but a very good start that he can build upon. Very encouraging, to my mind.

Todd4State
02-21-2014, 07:01 PM
Much better, but he still has work to do. Started out very sharp with good command. Velo was very good, touching 96 according to Jim & Bart. Used his change very effectively. Lost a little bit of command in the 4th, but fought through it and retired 6 in a row with 3 strikeouts from the 4th-6th. Made an E1 defensively that cost him a run. Threw 97 pitches. Certainly not what he's capable of, but a very good start that he can build upon. Very encouraging, to my mind.

Totally agree. I feel a lot better about him.

BeardoMSU
02-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Yeah, that sounds like a much better effort than last week. Good news going forward.

thedawg
02-21-2014, 07:44 PM
Good not great.. He needed this.. Hopefully he can build on it... Wanna see him next weekend vs Michigan State

CadaverDawg
02-21-2014, 08:14 PM
Not knocking his performance tonight, because it was better...but he is still battling with location issues. Even some of the strikes he threw were on poorly missed spots. When you are supposed to throw a heater on the far outside corner, and you miss and throw it belt high down the middle, the good teams will make you pay.

So I agree, he looked "better" but far from "great". If he gets a little better each week though, he will be in good shape come SeC play.

bobcat91
02-21-2014, 10:10 PM
Brandon's problem is not his stuff but the stuff between his ears. He has Friday night stuff, but a Sunday mentality.

preachermatt83
02-21-2014, 10:33 PM
I agree with Cadaver, a good hitting team would have hit him all over the field. He missed on several pitches that Holy Cross just couldn't catch up to. He has a long way to go.

preachermatt83
02-21-2014, 10:35 PM
IMO our staff is too good to wait half the season for him to "come around" . Fitts, Bracewell, Hudson, and Sexton are all ready to compete for a rotation spot. Preston is making a push too. not to mention Cox would be a Friday night guy on several staffs across the country.

Bullmutt
02-22-2014, 12:39 PM
delete