PDA

View Full Version : how close are we to the point of pricing people out of seats for football??

RC3
02-21-2014, 03:22 PM
to get decent seats now, it costs quite a bit. I know this is the norm and I know that we still have relatively cheap tickets compared to other teams in the league, but lets face it, our fanbase probably has a lower per capita number of wealthy fans. I for one don't mind, but i think it would be very very difficult for many of our fans to make the commitment, and then when you add in the actual expense of travel, food, etc...you are going to spend thousands and thousands of dollars(presuming you dont buy tickets in the nosebleeds). We are bound to have a breaking point where many more fans will decide to stay at home or just sit at the tailgate. I hope we arent there yet with the new prices for tickets/required donations. Anyone know how ticket sales are coming along at this point?

Esmerelda Villalobos
02-21-2014, 03:23 PM
It is cheaper to buy a one bedroom apt in starkville than spend money on 7 football weekends (hotels) and baseball weekends. Much cheaper

engie
02-21-2014, 03:26 PM
to get decent seats now, it costs quite a bit. I know this is the norm and I know that we still have relatively cheap tickets compared to other teams in the league, but lets face it, our fanbase probably has a lower per capita number of wealthy fans. I for one don't mind, but i think it would be very very difficult for many of our fans to make the commitment, and then when you add in the actual expense of travel, food, etc...you are going to spend thousands and thousands of dollars(presuming you dont buy tickets in the nosebleeds). We are bound to have a breaking point where many more fans will decide to stay at home or just sit at the tailgate. I hope we arent there yet with the new prices for tickets/required donations. Anyone know how ticket sales are coming along at this point?

We aren't even close to tapped out pricewise IMO...

It seems expensive only because the price just went up. Still the 2nd or 3rd cheapest in the league. We sold out skyboxes(again) stupid fast. That tells me those tickets were underpriced...

That said, we may struggle to sell out the two endzone clubs until people get a chance to view and experience them for themselves, although I'd expect the Scoreboard Club to sell out before the start of the season...

Dawghouse
02-21-2014, 03:31 PM
I was priced out of tickets about the time my 2nd kid rolled around so it's already happened. Lucky for the sports world there are still plenty of people willing to throw away a lot of money in the name of entertainment.

So, if you ask are we close to pricing some people out the answer is we are already passed that. I'm not willing to pay ~1500 a year for my family to watch football 7 times (and that's just for tickets, not counting food and travel).

If you are asking are we close to not selling out, I don't think so. I think you could charge a little more and still sell out as long as the program continues to rise.

I'll be more interested to see what happens to these per seat prices when/if we hit 2-3 years of losing seasons. I'm not sure you will continue to sell out if the per seat prices remain and the product on the field turns Croomesque.

civildawg
02-21-2014, 03:40 PM
I think we are getting close to be honest. I just paid my BDC membership and reserved my tickets the other day and I was seriously asking myself if it was worth it. I mean I can get good seats for cheap for non conference games and the others you can find tickets at face value every year. I think HD TV is making alot of people stay at home also.

codeDawg
02-21-2014, 03:43 PM
You would be surprised. There was / still is a lot of top end demand. As people move up to fill that supply, there are is a lot of demand for the mid-tier from current lower tier.

The athletic dept. will have to make sure there are lower-tier seats available at an affordable level, but that's not where the fan support, not the money is.

Goat Holder
02-21-2014, 03:43 PM
This is a legitimate question to ask. Earlier I was looking at the BC contributions and the seats that accompany them since you have to have it done by March 1. I might be sitting in the upper deck.

starkvegasdawg
02-21-2014, 03:49 PM
I'm out. Two kids means four tickets and that is out of the budget. Would love to be able to take the kids to more games as they love the whole game day experience. I just have things like groceries and light bills that come first.

Westdawg
02-21-2014, 03:53 PM
i have a question - i have a two year old and a one year old. would i have to buy tickets for them for a game? wife and i are seriously looking at the possibility of moving back to MS this year, and if we get within the state or 4 hrs from MSU, we want to make it back for games. want to plan the budget if that happens.

bully99
02-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Will the same thing happen when the new baseball stadium is built.

Homedawg
02-21-2014, 03:55 PM
i have a question - i have a two year old and a one year old. would i have to buy tickets for them for a game? wife and i are seriously looking at the possibility of moving back to MS this year, and if we get within the state or 4 hrs from MSU, we want to make it back for games. want to plan the budget if that happens.

Yes. Have to have a ticket no matter the age.

Dawghouse
02-21-2014, 03:55 PM
Yes, every person that walks, crawls, is carried through the gate has to have a ticket.

coachdaddy
02-21-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm out too. We have gotten to the point of buying tics for non conf games on line. We go to two per year at most. Would love to go to every home game, but damn it's expensive. HDTV and the sec pk will make me happy.

Apoplectic
02-21-2014, 04:09 PM
We aren't even close to tapped out pricewise IMO...

It seems expensive only because the price just went up. Still the 2nd or 3rd cheapest in the league. We sold out skyboxes(again) stupid fast. That tells me those tickets were underpriced...

That said, we may struggle to sell out the two endzone clubs until people get a chance to view and experience them for themselves, although I'd expect the Scoreboard Club to sell out before the start of the season...

Skyboxes are mostly corporate purchases that we all pay for. I believe we are getting close to the bubble when u throw in $20 parking it starts to add up for a family of 4.

Goat Holder
02-21-2014, 04:14 PM
I'm in same exact situation. I'm just going to buy two. Some combination of myself and one of the other family members will be the only ones going into games. The others stay at the tailgate. Just how it has to be. 4 tickets is completely out of the question. That'd be like 2 Gs.

Vandownbytheriver
02-21-2014, 08:13 PM
We are out as well. Had three and now have two kids. Travel, tailgating supplies, and raises in prices every year have done me in. Add in the much earlier than normal renewal deadline and there is no way we can do it. Season tickets always replaced a family vacation for us. Just not something I have as disposable income after the holidays and kids birthdays.