PDA

View Full Version : So James Meredith wants his statue taken down????

Coach34
02-21-2014, 11:34 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/21/us/racist-episodes-continue-to-stir-ole-miss-campus.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Mr. Meredith said the ?nonsense? episode would intensify his effort to have his likeness removed from the university?s campus. ?It?s a false idol, and it?s an insult not only to God, it?s an insult to me,? Mr. Meredith said.

How embarrassing is that to them? Something they try to make a positive and Meredith wants nothing to do with it.

Political Hack
02-21-2014, 11:35 AM
ouch.

RossDawg82
02-21-2014, 11:36 AM
That in itself speaks volumes as to what he thinks of that school.

Pollodawg
02-21-2014, 11:39 AM
Meredith doesn't give two shits about Ole Miss. And, really, why should he?

Political Hack
02-21-2014, 11:40 AM
time line worthy.

starkvegasdawg
02-21-2014, 11:41 AM
That in itself speaks volumes as to what he thinks of that school.

At least he has something in common with the bulk of the football team.

codeDawg
02-21-2014, 11:42 AM
“These events continue to happen semester after semester and year after year,” the student newspaper, The Daily Mississippian, said in an editorial. “All of our actions seem fruitless and impotent, leaving us broken, scared, humiliated and with burning, difficult questions: What we do we do about it? How do we stop these events from transpiring?”

“If you bill yourself as Ole Miss and you call yourself the Rebels and the first thing a visitor to the campus sees is a Confederate monument, whether intentionally or not, it conveys an image,” said Charles W. Eagles, a history professor. “And that image is an image tied to the past, not a 21st-century image.”

You can't have it both ways.

dogshiek
02-21-2014, 11:42 AM
Hypocrisy personified.

Op4isabitch
02-21-2014, 12:15 PM
I hope you guys will do as I did and forward that article, specifically what Mr Meredith said to your local T.V and paper news reporters. So far I have had two responses and I believe the fact that Mr Meredith wants his likeness removed from u.m surprised both of them. I expect there will be some interview requests sent to Mr Meredith.

AFDawg
02-21-2014, 12:24 PM
...Confederate monument...Confederate monument...

As an old boss of mine called them, "second place trophies."

drunkernhelldawg
02-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Nobody who knows the current James Merideth or has heard him speak is surprised by this. My question is this: Should a statue ever be erected of a living person? I say no, not just no but Hell No.

Rick Danko
02-21-2014, 01:00 PM
Nobody who knows the current James Merideth or has heard him speak is surprised by this. My question is this: Should a statue ever be erected of a living person? I say no, not just no but Hell No.

Bull Shit, says Nick Saban****

bully99
02-21-2014, 01:07 PM
Meredith is a nut job. In the last 20 years, he's worked/supported David Duke, Jesse Helms and Obama among others. He doesn't know what the hell he wants.

TUSK
02-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Bull Shit, says Nick Saban****

Damn right... In fact, I think we should tear down BD Stadium and erect a MASSIVE statue of Nick Saban.

We could easily fit a 120k seat domed stadium in his head in place of his ego... Additionally, if said stadium was to scale, construction costs would be mitigated due to its lack of overall height.

bannedwayne
02-21-2014, 01:09 PM
If I remember correctly, he never wanted it there in the first place.

From what I've heard of him, he's grown a bit senile as of late.

Dawgbite
02-21-2014, 01:15 PM
The statue never was about honoring James Merideth but was erected so the university could point it out to the world as an example of how great they are at racial relations. They probably pat themselves on the back every time they walk by it.

bgover4
02-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Speaking of statues, doesn't Cam have one down in the Barn? I can't wait til that one is an embarrassment, I keep hoping he will screw something up about like VicK did.

smootness
02-21-2014, 01:54 PM
In fairness, I don't see anything from his reasoning that says he wants it taken down because of anything to do with Ole Miss; it just sounds like he doesn't like the idea of himself having a statue anywhere.

smootness
02-21-2014, 01:55 PM
Speaking of statues, doesn't Cam have one down in the Barn? I can't wait til that one is an embarrassment, I keep hoping he will screw something up about like VicK did.

I wouldn't say I hope Cam Newton does something terrible.

bgover4
02-21-2014, 02:10 PM
I never said I wanted him to do something terrible. There are plenty of ways to be an embarrassment without doing something terrible. Just ask Mike Price, I wouldn't say he did anything terrible but he sure embarrassed Alabama.

smootness
02-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Sorry then. You just specifically mentioned Vick.

AROB44
02-21-2014, 04:32 PM
Shouldn't name a baseball statdium after a living coach either. You never know what will happen.

shannondawg
02-21-2014, 05:55 PM
The statue never was about honoring James Merideth but was erected so the university could point it out to the world as an example of how great they are at racial relations. They probably pat themselves on the back every time they walk by it.

That pretty much nails it..

FISHDAWG
02-21-2014, 06:01 PM
Penn State agrees with this

bannedwayne
02-21-2014, 10:23 PM
In fairness, I don't see anything from his reasoning that says he wants it taken down because of anything to do with Ole Miss; it just sounds like he doesn't like the idea of himself having a statue anywhere.

Exactly. He never wanted it put up in the first place.

Its interesting that in this article (and every one I've read about him recently) he ends up talking more about bad parenting than anything else.

He definitely has a screw or two loose.

BeardoMSU
02-21-2014, 10:31 PM
It's worth noting, however, that Meredeth doesn't seem to be all there in the head as of late, or ever really. Didn't he work with Strom Thurmond and David Duke?

That being said, though, given the current events that have plagued OM, I doubt anyone would want their statue on that campus. I'm surprised they don't have a Nathan Forrest memorial....

Dawg61
02-21-2014, 11:00 PM
Damn right... In fact, I think we should tear down BD Stadium and erect a MASSIVE statue of Nick Saban.

We could easily fit a 120k seat domed stadium in his head in place of his ego... Additionally, if said stadium was to scale, construction costs would be mitigated due to its lack of overall height.

Hahaha even TUSK has grown tired of Saban. Why does Saban constantly move his hands when he talks? Bugs the shit out of me. Random annoying Saban habits are random.

bully99
02-21-2014, 11:18 PM
Beardo, do you even read the thread, go up a few spots in this thread and see what bully99 said.yeah that's me.