PDA

View Full Version : Call me what you will

Esmerelda Villalobos
02-20-2014, 11:08 PM
But hood is a great player and made a great business decision. Great person from a great family. I still route for him and have no ill will from a guy from small town MS that bettered himself.

Great player, man and a great family.

BeardoMSU
02-20-2014, 11:36 PM
Hear, hear.

smootness
02-20-2014, 11:38 PM
I love watching him play. Will always root for him, as I did Bender and Ellis.

msstate7
02-20-2014, 11:39 PM
Do you route for cj Johnson and his business decision also? I don't. Forget hood...

Dawg61
02-20-2014, 11:47 PM
How many games does Gray, Sword, Hood, Moultrie and Sidney win?

BeardoMSU
02-20-2014, 11:54 PM
Are you being facetious, or are you an infant? Comparing CJ to Rodney Hood? That's cute....

BeardoMSU
02-20-2014, 11:55 PM
Take sid away and replace him with Dwight Howard...that's more realistic ;)

msstate7
02-20-2014, 11:58 PM
Are you being facetious, or are you an infant? Comparing CJ to Rodney Hood? That's cute....

Guess I'm just immature. I look at our team this year and think with hood we'd be pretty good. He abandoned our program and I abandoned any good will I had toward him. When he left, he in a sense said f*** msu. Why would I as an msu fan pull for him?

Dawg61
02-21-2014, 12:02 AM
We would be better but not good because we still have zero post defense

BeardoMSU
02-21-2014, 12:04 AM
Why would he want to stick around for that dumpster fire? That had nothing to do with saything "**** msu", he was trying to ensure his NBA potential, that wouldn't have happened here on a shit team, where he's playing in a shit league, against other shit players (aside from KY and FL). He chose to go to Duke. He sat out a whole year. And now he is the clear #2 player on a damn good team that WILL make the NCAA tournament. What was waiting for him here?

This isn't like Gary Ervin or the Delks, and it certainly isn't even in the same ball park (hell, "not even the same ****ing sport"; reference cited - Jules Winfield circa 1994) as a flip-flop recruit hat-faking the shit out of us.

msstate7
02-21-2014, 12:06 AM
Yeah bc nba scouts would never find him in the sec. No scouts waste time down here**

KCP went 8th last year in a shitty conference on a shitty team.

BeardoMSU
02-21-2014, 12:14 AM
Ok, Dee Bost ;). Good reference, man, lol.

Look man, I'm not trying to a dick, but you have to admit...playing in the SEC is not like it used to be. He's playing for one of the most storied programs in the history of basketball and is more than holding his own. If he had stayed, yes that would have shown a lot of loyalty, but take a serious look at what his situation would have been: yes, he'd be our best player, and yes he'd have scored a bunch of points. But our team as whole would still be horrid, and that wouldn't make him look good. You hardly ever hear about great players on dog shit teams in college bball (I really can't think of any, but tell me if you know of any). I guess Kaldwell-Pope is an example, but that's all I can think of.

msstate7
02-21-2014, 12:15 AM
Oh and by the way, hood got 0 rebounds tonight. UNC out rebounded duke 43-30.

BeardoMSU
02-21-2014, 12:18 AM
C'mon, that's not entirely his fault. Duke is a very small team; that has more to do with how Duke plays. Parker, who basically has the same build as Rodney, plays the 4 spot. Rodney will be a power 2 guard and/or a stretch 3 at the next level.

MarketingBully01
Yeah bc nba scouts would never find him in the sec. No scouts waste time down here**

KCP went 8th last year in a shitty conference on a shitty team.

Beat me to it msstate7. That is the biggest load of shit I have heard from the Hood apologists. If he stayed at State, he would have been in the league this year and already making millions. Instead, he sits out a year? Especially in the day and age of the one and dones. So he goes to Duke and more then likely A) will not win a conference championship or an NCAA championship. But hey he will make the NCAA tourney. He could have gone down as a fan favorite of MSU basketball. Instead, he took the easy way out and transferred. I am not a Rodney Hood fan and never will be.

msstate7
Ok, Dee Bost ;). Good reference, man, lol.

Look man, I'm not trying to a dick, but you have to admit...playing in the SEC is not like it used to be. He's playing for one of the most storied programs in the history of basketball and is more than holding his own. If he had stayed, yes that would have shown a lot of loyalty, but take a serious look at what his situation would have been: yes, he'd be our best player, and yes he'd have scored a bunch of points. But our team as whole would still be horrid, and that wouldn't make him look good. You hardly ever hear about great players on dog shit teams in college bball (I really can't think of any, but tell me if you know of any). I guess Kaldwell-Pope is an example, but that's all I can think of.

Wanna know why you don't hear of many if any bad teams with good players? Bc one good player can make a world of difference in basketball. We would be much better with hood. Hood's outside shooting would allow sword to drive against man to man defense. Sword and hood would be dynamic

BeardoMSU
02-21-2014, 12:22 AM
I agree with your first sentence. However, as much as it pains us to admit it...we are not a bad team, a player (or two) away from being a good team. We are a ****ing atrocious team. We lack a true PG, a marginally talented power forward, a center with good feet, a back up center, one or two 3 point shooters, etc. etc. Not to mention, we play horrible fundamental basketball. I will concede that Rodney would benefit this team with his scoring ability, but we'd still be a long shot from the NIT. And none of that benefits him.

Edit: as much as I like Gavin, he's not a starting C in the SEC. He'd back up Sid if he was on this team. Or he'd play the 4, which would probably make us terrible at defending the pic'n'roll (not that we're good at it now, though).

MarketingBully01
02-21-2014, 12:28 AM
I agree with your first sentence. However, as much as it pains us to admit it...we are not a bad team, a player (or two) away from being a good team. We are a ****ing atrocious team. We lack a true PG, a marginally talented power forward, a center with good feet, a back up center, one or two 3 point shooters, etc. etc. Not to mention, we play horrible fundamental basketball. I will concede that Rodney would benefit this team with his scoring ability, but we'd still be a long shot from the NIT. And none of that benefits him.

Edit: as much as I like Gavin, he's not a starting C in the SEC. He'd back up Sid if he was on this team. Or he'd play the 4, which would probably make us terrible at defending the pic'n'roll (not that we're good at it now, though).

All of this would be moot because he would of already been in the NBA. He was equivelant to KPG and on an equally as shitty team. He wouldn't of made it to his junior year. Being in the NBA making millions of dollars > playing at Duke on a team that will underachieve.

BeardoMSU
02-21-2014, 12:31 AM
Possibly, depending on where he'd been drafted. I can't remember but I think KP was a late 1st round pick, yes? I imagine Hood would've been about the same, maybe top 20 or 15. But this year, most draft sites have him projected as a lottery pick....can't really compare the two.

Dawg61
02-21-2014, 12:31 AM
All of this would be moot because he would of already been in the NBA. He was equivelant to KPG and on an equally as shitty team. He wouldn't of made it to his junior year. Being in the NBA making millions of dollars > playing at Duke on a team that will underachieve.

Rodney Hood is good but I still think he's overrated. He's projected as #9 right now. That's way too high imo.

msstate7
02-21-2014, 12:32 AM
Possibly, depending on where he'd been drafted. I can't remember but I think KP was a late 1st round pick, yes? I imagine Hood would've been about the same, maybe top 20 or 15. But this year, most draft sites have him projected as a lottery pick....can't really compare the two.

KCP was selected 8th overall by Detroit

BeardoMSU
02-21-2014, 12:33 AM
Call me crazy, but I can see him as a Grant Hill type player once he gets to the league. He has all the skills to average 20-5-5 at the next level.

BeardoMSU
02-21-2014, 12:35 AM
I stand corrected, lol. You may have a point then. Hugs and kisses?

msstate7
02-21-2014, 12:36 AM
I stand corrected, lol. You may have a point then. Hugs and kisses?

We can be friends if you disown hood. J/k

BeardoMSU
02-21-2014, 12:39 AM
;)
http://25.media.tumblr.com/2e7d9981e8230b7fcd7802a9e8a3f017/tumblr_mznf57LXV81sh2jovo1_500.gif

dickiedawg
02-21-2014, 12:59 AM
Tend to agree with msstate7 on this. Why should I support Rodney Hood any more than I support, say, Ben Hansbrough? Call it selfish and irrational, but they walked out on MSU. Screw 'em.

Drugdog
02-21-2014, 09:42 AM
If one of my kids can go to Duke over MSU, I will be yelling Go Bluedevils.

Dawgface
02-21-2014, 09:56 AM
Rodney Hood is good but I still think he's overrated. He's projected as #9 right now. That's way too high imo.

Agree. Perhaps him transferring was a good business decision. I doubt he would be projected that high if he was still at MSU.

I do have a hard time pulling for him though.

smootness
02-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Tend to agree with msstate7 on this. Why should I support Rodney Hood any more than I support, say, Ben Hansbrough? Call it selfish and irrational, but they walked out on MSU. Screw 'em.

No one's saying you should do anything. I'm not advocating for anyone to be a Hood fan; I just personally am.

And I definitely don't think he's overrated. He's shooting 45% from 3 at 6'8", the NBA will find a place for you. And his potential is even higher, he just still needs to become more aggressive/assertive to realize it. But he has just about everything you want in a wing.

Goat Holder
02-21-2014, 10:06 AM
I'm not going to form an opinion on him, because we'll never know the whole truth. Rick Ray may have told him to f*ck off, vice versa, or somewhere in between. At the end of the day, he came to school at MSU for a year, so in a way he's a Bulldog. I would imagine one day, when he's 50 years old and watching an MSU vs. Duke game, he'll likely be rooting for MSU, being a Meridian guy and all.

Irondawg
02-21-2014, 10:10 AM
He'll get drafted mid first round and probably have a fairly long and productive NBA career as a productive player for teams. But personally I don't think the ceiling is that high for him in the league. I think he's a spot up big 2, but i'm curious to see how his game translates