PDA

View Full Version : Rebels make the news again

Raytoraid83
02-20-2014, 09:34 PM
http://t.co/hYfHrcz9qI

Why would a 17-18 yr old African American want to play here again?

preachermatt83
02-20-2014, 09:38 PM
why would anyone even want to go anywhere near there?

Gen. Grant
02-20-2014, 09:41 PM
Yeah, I made a comment on this earlier. I didn't know if it had been posted on here.

I agree, I don't see why anyone much less an African American, would want to willingly call themselves a "rebel." The University of Mississippi is making a habit of these "incidents." #flagship #faithbased

msstate7
02-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Website won't load for me. What's it say?

Gen. Grant
02-20-2014, 09:44 PM
Someone needs to add this "incident" to the list!

dawggoneit
02-20-2014, 09:46 PM
What incident? Web page won't load.

msstate7
02-20-2014, 09:48 PM
What incident? Web page won't load.

HottyToddy.com must have pulled their article
Young African American girl called "black n*****" and liquor thrown on her at Retreat apartment complex by guys driving by in truck

Per IPMDawg on sps

messageboardsuperhero
02-20-2014, 09:56 PM
Here's an interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iExQ9FuNwTY&feature=youtu.be

codeDawg
02-20-2014, 09:59 PM
Here's the Google cache version:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://hottytoddy.com/2014/02/20/african-american-ole-miss-student-attacked-in-the-retreat-complex/

Political Hack
02-20-2014, 10:15 PM
http://hottytoddy.com/2014/02/20/african-american-ole-miss-student-attacked-in-the-retreat-complex/

Political Hack
02-20-2014, 10:16 PM
African American Ole Miss Student Attacked in The Retreat Complex

Posted on February 20, 2014 with 0 Comments

An African American Ole Miss student and resident of the Retreat Cottage Community in Oxford was doused with an alcoholic beverage and called a “black ******” by unidentified passengers in a black truck around 8 p.m. Monday.

Oxford Police think the incident might be linked to the defacement of the statue of James Meredith on campus early Sunday morning.

The incident occurred at the Retreat, which is a 668-bed community at 2405 Anderson Road, about a mile from the Ole Miss campus. It’s populated almost entirely by Ole Miss students.

Kiesha Reeves, a third-year senior and participant in the Honors College program, says her roommate returned to the residence describing a black truck full of drunken people yelling racial slurs.

THISONE2
Kiesha Reeves describes a racial attack.

A while later as Reeves was retrieving her phone charger from her car, she heard a vehicle approaching with loud yelling and laughing. Partially out of her car now, she saw the black truck speeding toward her and then observed a shadowed passenger hurling liquid at her face. Moving quickly she avoided most of the spray, but said some got on her shirt and she determined it was an alcoholic drink.

“It all happened so fast and I was so shocked that I couldn’t really see any faces, only the outline of the black truck,” she said. “I heard the laughter and words ‘black ******’ very distinctly,”

Reeves said she immediately called her aunt (an Ole Miss grad who serves as a mentor and adviser to Reeves) and father, who urged her to call the police. Reeves said this is the first time since arriving at Ole Miss that she has been made to feel unwelcome.

Oxford Police Officer Cody Pruitt arrived within 15 minutes and initiated the investigation. He confirmed that Reeves could not precisely identify the truck or the driver or passengers beyond the truck’s black color. When told that the truck had exited the complex on Anchorage Road heading into Lafayette County, Pruitt told Reeves that he could not pursue the vehicle into the County without a positive identification.

Detective Jeff McCutchen of the Oxford Police Department confirmed that Oxford policemen aren’t authorized to conduct searches outside of the city limits outside of “hot pursuit” situations, but added that his department took Ms. Reeves complaint very seriously.

“I can’t say that we’ve had any more complaints about the Retreat than any other residential complex, but we recognize that the facility is full of college kids.” he said. “This occurred on a long weekend, partying does go on and traffic is increased by friends coming in for the long weekend. We want to be vigilant in protecting the safety of the retreat residents.”

Reeves says she received a call from Detective Hardie Meeks of OPD on Feb.18 getting her version of events. According to Reeves and confirmed by McCutchen, Meeks said that a connection might exist between the Reeves incident and the defacement of the James Meredith statue on Sunday morning. The detective invited Reeves to come to the police station and view some photographs of truck to allow police to narrow down their search.

“We don’t know that there is any connection, but in cases like this we would be irresponsible not to run down every lead,” Detective McCutchen said.

Reeves says that the racial atmosphere in the Retreat development is hostile at times. She recalls an occurrence where a young white man walking down the sidewalk toward where Reeves and her roommate were sitting outside their residence spit on the ground near them. Reeves adds he then said, “”You can’t live here, you’re black.”

HottyToddy.com contacted the local Retreat Cottage Community and the corporate headquarters in Memphis and has been unable to reach anyone for comment.

Despite the random racial hostility she has experienced, Reeves says she loves Ole Miss. The criminal justice major who minors in African American studies, says she has seen more good than bad when it comes to racial progress. “I have white friends and I love my teachers, my scholarship opportunity as a Lucky Day Scholar, my field of study and this beautiful campus. I think these kind of incidents reflect the battle to find balance between those who don’t want the university to change and those who want it to progress.”

Reeves is from what she describes as a tough town, Europa, Miss., 30 miles from Starkville. She was inspired by her Aunt Michelle as a child who graduated from Ole Miss, earned her masters and now teaches at Ittawamba Community College. Michelle Reeves attended Ole Miss classes with her niece on her knee, but she advised Kiesha to go to an all-black college instead of her Alma Mater.

Kiesha didn’t follow her aunt’s advice, but she does hope to emulate her mentor as a civil rights activist. Kiesha says her goal is to someday become a civil rights attorney.

Andy Knef is HottyToddy.com editor. You can respond to Andy about this story by contacting him at Andy.Knef@Hottytoddy.com

BeardoMSU
02-20-2014, 10:28 PM
Jesus Christ, I mean seriously, how much bad press can a single school get in a 2 week period? Whats next? Zeus is definitely letting the world know 'he hate ****s the shit' (in the words of Randal Graves) out of Confederate U.

Bass Chaser
02-20-2014, 10:35 PM
How long until they drop "Ole Miss" and "Rebels"?

BeardoMSU
02-20-2014, 10:37 PM
The world would be a better place when they do, whether the anti-PC people want to admit it or not.

Lloyd Christmas
02-20-2014, 10:39 PM
"Rebels" will get dropped within 10 years.

LC Dawg
02-20-2014, 10:47 PM

I think some of these recent incidents is going to force their hand to drop Rebels sooner rather than later.

BeardoMSU
02-20-2014, 10:49 PM
Mark my words, guys. When we are all old, our grandchildren will ask us with unbelieving eyes "did a public university in mississippi reeeaaaallly call itself Ole Miss well into the 2010's?". Just like its hard for most of us to fathom that they actually did shit like this....

http://www.proudrebel.com/images/ole-miss.jpg
http://reverandandys.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/omconfederateflagsyq0.jpeg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wyW6yh_dwig/UKQaDVu3NfI/AAAAAAAAAwo/utytjn17aPE/s640/Screen+shot+2012-11-14+at+5.23.46+PM.png

For those of us that have done marching band, try to imagine a college band whose guard has rebel flags for their banners, and all the uniforms are pseudo-confederate unis. Seriously? wow...
Make no mistake...this is their identity. This is who they are. The only way they can shed that identity, is to shed all the all the names, banners, and join the rest of the country in the real world. As much as they may hate it, the South lost the ****ing war. Get the **** over it!

slickdawg
02-20-2014, 10:50 PM

Won't happen. They are still fighting the bears.

Pollodawg
02-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Mark my words, guys. When we are all old, our grandchildren will ask us with unbelieving eyes "did a public university in mississippi reeeaaaallly call itself Ole Miss well into the 2010's?". Just like its hard for most of us to fathom that they actually did shit like this....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wyW6yh_dwig/UKQaDVu3NfI/AAAAAAAAAwo/utytjn17aPE/s640/Screen+shot+2012-11-14+at+5.23.46+PM.png

For those of us that have done marching band, try to imagine a college band whose guard has rebel flags for their banners, and all the uniforms are pseudo-confederate unis. Seriously? wow...
Make no mistake...this is their identity. This is who they are. The only way they can shed that identity, is to shed all the all the names, banners, and join the rest of the country in the real world. As much as they may hate it, the South lost the ****ing war. Get the **** over it!

That middle pic is from the nineties. That's the sad part.......

Pollodawg
02-20-2014, 10:53 PM
This is too the point that there is very little else you can say abut it. I mean........damn.......

BeardoMSU
02-20-2014, 11:15 PM
Yup. Horrible.

Drugdog
02-21-2014, 08:54 AM
Has this been reported in the Clarion Ledger?

RossDawg82
02-21-2014, 09:31 AM
Has this been reported in the Clarion Ledger?

Probably but they wont print anything until it gets picked up by the national media. The NYTimes was the first to report the Lawsuit

Jack Lambert
02-21-2014, 09:45 AM
Not trying to defend ole miss but if there was a truck loaded with guys riding around scrimming racial slurs she would not have been the only one who would have seen or heard it. Those guys would have been out all over the place doing it and you would have many other African Americans making complaints. I am not saying it happened but dang I do know people do take advantage of situation to get attention.

Political Hack
02-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Not trying to defend ole miss but if there was a truck loaded with guys riding around scrimming racial slurs she would not have been the only one who would have seen or heard it. Those guys would have been out all over the place doing it and you would have many other African Americans making complaints. I am not saying it happened but dang I do know people do take advantage of situation to get attention.

you're quickly on your way to bannation as your intent here is becoming obvious.

Calling her a liar because the asshat moronic idiots that accosted her didn't do it to anyone else is down right disgusting and shameful. And guess what... something else did happen... they vandalized a statue of one of MS's iconic figures. A man that literally walked through a crowd of hate to prove that he belonged. Anyone who can't respect that, and maliciously disrespects that, deserves to be taken out back of the wood shed.

Sacrifice
02-21-2014, 09:56 AM
It seems like every time there's a racial incident at OM it is quickly followed by another incident. I don't know if this is some show of defiance by the students or just a coincidence. If I remember right, there was a student at OM around the last presidential election who's truck was vandalized with racial slurs. I believe he left the school over it.

MadDawg
02-21-2014, 10:04 AM

But don't lose sight of one thing - this imagery they embraced for so long (and most still do) is what made them the most popular university in this state for most of last century. I know and still know friends and family that call ole miss "their" school and pull for the rebels and never attended there. Why? Because of that damn rebel flag and what it means. And I'll bet most of you know people just like this. That's why they held onto the imagery of the old south for so long and to this day struggle with really seperating themselves from it.

jimbo352
02-21-2014, 10:09 AM
Those kids who fvcked with the Meredith statue were from Georgia apparently... Well, at least people assume they were because of the Georgia flag they had in video... I'm kind of getting sick and tired of these little racist dickheads coming to Mississippi(because they can't get into a state school), and spreading their BS over here... I know they're probably OM students, but these peckerheads were raised in Georgia more than likely... It hurts the entire state of Mississippi when sh!t like this happens, at least on a national level(hell ESPN can't even get our schools straight)... If I remember correctly... wasn't the kkk group that showed up on OM's campus a Georgia and Tennessee branch or something like that...? I don't know.. Thank God it's OM and not us, that's all I have to say really... OM's image makes them a magnet for the racists to keep fighting their fight, but I kind of wish some of these assholes would just stay out of OUR STATE.

I'm not taking up for OM, because I hate them... They have plenty of racism, it just get annoyed with racists and kkk members from other states use Mississippi as their battleground... Our state has enough problems, we don't need any more...

Political Hack
02-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Those kids who fvcked with the Meredith statue were from Georgia apparently... Well, at least people assume they were because of the Georgia flag they had in video... I'm kind of getting sick and tired of these little racist dickheads coming to Mississippi(because they can't get into a state school), and spreading their BS over here... I know they're probably OM students, but these peckerheads were raised in Georgia more than likely... It hurts the entire state of Mississippi when sh!t like this happens, at least on a national level(hell ESPN can't even get our schools straight)... If I remember correctly... wasn't the kkk group that showed up on OM's campus a Georgia and Tennessee branch or something like that...? I don't know.. Thank God it's OM and not us, that's all I have to say really... OM's image makes them a magnet for the racists to keep fighting their fight, but I kind of wish some of these assholes would just stay out of OUR STATE.

I'm not taking up for OM, because I hate them... They have plenty of racism, it just get annoyed with racists and kkk members from other states use Mississippi as their battleground... Our state has enough problems, we don't need any more...

the more important question... why do you think they gravitate to Ole Miss???

BeardoMSU
02-21-2014, 10:31 AM
It's no mystery why racists like ole miss. Its the same today as it was 50 years ago. Because of certain "image" decisions, they have hitched their identity to "the old south", and are now the last bastion for people who wish they still lived in the CSA.

RossDawg82
02-21-2014, 10:33 AM

Very true PH.... one thing I did not know is how badly Meredith wants his likeness out of that shitty town. It is really sad when the only racial icon you have ever had attend your school now wants his statue taken down. He said it is an insult to him and God to have that statue in oxford.

jimbo352
02-21-2014, 10:34 AM

Well... When you cling to old symbols that most people associate with racism, sh!t happens...

jimbo352
02-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Very true PH.... one thing I did not know is how badly Meredith wants his likeness out of that shitty town. It is really sad when the only racial icon you have ever had attend your school now wants his statue taken down. He said it is an insult to him and God to have that statue in oxford.

Where did you see this? Haven't heard this one before...

elitedawgs
02-21-2014, 10:37 AM
Classic Ole Miss thinking:

find the pic of the kid that was "beaten". He must be wolverine, cause dude looked normal 2 days after alleged incident.

Ignore the indisputable facts that 911 was called, an ambulance took them to the hospital, he was knocked unconscious, he had seizures. But George Zimmerman appeared fine after two days after his incident. Then the pictures came out form the night of the incident.......

messageboardsuperhero
02-21-2014, 10:38 AM

That's my thinking on this as well- they can say "these people aren't even from Mississippi" all they want, but the real question is, why are all these idiot racists going to UM instead of other places?

The Confederate symbols they still insist on hold on to attract these people, IMO.

RossDawg82
02-21-2014, 10:38 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/21/us/racist-episodes-continue-to-stir-ole-miss-campus.html?smid=tw-share Read the last 4 paragraphs

Sacrifice
02-21-2014, 10:46 AM
That's my thinking on this as well- they can say "these people aren't even from Mississippi" all they want, but the real question is, why are all these idiot racists going to UM instead of other places?

The Confederate symbols they still insist on hold on to attract these people, IMO.

Exactly, Hell they still call there self the Ole Miss Rebels. That sounds like a damn neo-nazi group located in the back woods of Montana that the FBI would have under investigation.

elitedawgs
02-21-2014, 10:49 AM
Amazing that once the FBI got involved, this gets solved quickly. Maybe they could look into the incident at the KA house why they are there.

messageboardsuperhero
02-21-2014, 10:52 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/21/us/racist-episodes-continue-to-stir-ole-miss-campus.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Mr. Meredith said the “nonsense” episode would intensify his effort to have his likeness removed from the university’s campus.

“It’s a false idol, and it’s an insult not only to God, it’s an insult to me,” Mr. Meredith said.

jimbo352
02-21-2014, 10:56 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/21/us/racist-episodes-continue-to-stir-ole-miss-campus.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Mr. Meredith said the “nonsense” episode would intensify his effort to have his likeness removed from the university’s campus.

“It’s a false idol, and it’s an insult not only to God, it’s an insult to me,” Mr. Meredith said.

Wow... Not much to say...

Bass Chaser
02-21-2014, 11:12 AM
Wow, that's a damn good article.

“If you bill yourself as Ole Miss and you call yourself the Rebels and the first thing a visitor to the campus sees is a Confederate monument, whether intentionally or not, it conveys an image,” said Charles W. Eagles, a history professor. “And that image is an image tied to the past, not a 21st-century image.”

Professor Eagles, who wrote what many here believe is the definitive account of the university’s integration, argued that the university must take more forceful action that could anger its supporters.

“If I could do one thing, the place would never be called Ole Miss again,” he said.

Here's another quote I found interesting because it's the opposite of "OUR STATE".
“We don’t take ownership of this university,” Jonece Dunigan, a senior, said. “My life is kind of centered around work and going to school and studying until like 3 in the morning. The reason why these things happen again and again and again is because we allow them to happen again and again and again.”

Ms. Dunigan, who is black, added, “Once the students step up and take ownership of the university and say, ‘This is our place, this is what we stand for,’ we can actually start making progress.”

LC Dawg
02-21-2014, 11:20 AM
I know that racism exists all over but there seems to be a culture on that campus and in Oxford that makes people like the statue defacers feel comfortable. It doesn't matter if these particular students are from Georgia, they are Ole Miss students. They represent the Rebels. There may be a minority of people associated with the university that want to eliminate this culture but I feel that most of them want to continue to embrace this culture.

BeardoMSU
02-21-2014, 11:20 AM
One word: PROFOUND

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-21-2014, 11:22 AM
I just hope the outrage from people is genuine and aren't only bringing this attention because it's ole miss. And this is not a troll attempt, but if the Confederate monument conveys an image, will Civil War parks and monuments be targeted for removal as well?

TheRef
02-21-2014, 11:28 AM
I just hope the outrage from people is genuine and aren't only bringing this attention because it's ole miss. And this is not a troll attempt, but if the Confederate monument conveys an image, will Civil War parks and monuments be targeted for removal as well?

I don't believe so because they are National parks and monuments. Ole Miss is not a National Park nor a monument.

Political Hack
02-21-2014, 11:33 AM
Wow, that's a damn good article.

“If you bill yourself as Ole Miss and you call yourself the Rebels and the first thing a visitor to the campus sees is a Confederate monument, whether intentionally or not, it conveys an image,” said Charles W. Eagles, a history professor. “And that image is an image tied to the past, not a 21st-century image.”

Professor Eagles, who wrote what many here believe is the definitive account of the university’s integration, argued that the university must take more forceful action that could anger its supporters.

“If I could do one thing, the place would never be called Ole Miss again,” he said.

Here's another quote I found interesting because it's the opposite of "OUR STATE".
“We don’t take ownership of this university,” Jonece Dunigan, a senior, said. “My life is kind of centered around work and going to school and studying until like 3 in the morning. The reason why these things happen again and again and again is because we allow them to happen again and again and again.”

Ms. Dunigan, who is black, added, “Once the students step up and take ownership of the university and say, ‘This is our place, this is what we stand for,’ we can actually start making progress.”

they are literally the last remaining stain of racism on the state of Mississippi.

BeardoMSU
02-21-2014, 11:33 AM
Exactly. And all of those parks and monuments usually have an adjacent display giving honor to the fallen union soldiers. Where is that on Ole Miss' campus? Oh thats right.....the Yanks are the bad guys.....

dogshiek
02-21-2014, 11:38 AM
Old times there are not forgotten. Look away!

jimbo352
02-21-2014, 11:50 AM
I know that racism exists all over but there seems to be a culture on that campus and in Oxford that makes people like the statue defacers feel comfortable. It doesn't matter if these particular students are from Georgia, they are Ole Miss students. They represent the Rebels. There may be a minority of people associated with the university that want to eliminate this culture but I feel that most of them want to continue to embrace this culture.

I don't know if they embrace the culture necessarily... They know they will lose a lot of traditions, and I think it "scares" most them. I know a bunch of OM people(as most of us who live in MS do), and they're all good people for the most part. They love "ole miss" and "rebels" and they don't want to lose their identity. Even though that same identity is what hurts them AND the state of MS so much... It's hard for them to fight events like this, because they're essentially fighting traditions/names/mascots they want to keep... My brother/mom are OM grads, and they're truly embarrassed by this kind of stuff... They should be, hopefully enough fans like them decide to force real change.

They are truly the best example of someone being their own worst enemy.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-21-2014, 11:55 AM
I don't believe so because they are National parks and monuments. Ole Miss is not a National Park nor a monument.
So, other than the gov't sticking a label on it as a "national monument", there isn't much difference. Wouldn't a confederate monument be viewed the same, regardless of where it sits?
ETA: Isn't the statue sitting on University grounds that is state owned?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Exactly. And all of those parks and monuments usually have an adjacent display giving honor to the fallen union soldiers.
Uh, no...most of the time the confederates and yanks had different lines and the monuments reflect that. Hell, I know one park like the back of my hand and it has signs that say entering Union lines or entering Confederate lines and throughout those areas, there won't be much, if any crossover.

BeardoMSU
02-21-2014, 12:07 PM
But that's what I'm talking about. Marking the army's lines is just part of the "history" of the battle, showing how it took place, where everyone was, where each excursion happened, etc.. Ultimately, at Vicksburg, Gettysburg, Shiloh, etc. both Confederate and Union soldiers are well represented.

Edit: instead of talking about monuments and parks, lets just be frank about where this is going? What exactly are you trying to convey?

LC Dawg
02-21-2014, 12:15 PM
I don't know if they embrace the culture necessarily... They know they will lose a lot of traditions, and I think it "scares" most them. I know a bunch of OM people(as most of us who live in MS do), and they're all good people for the most part. They love "ole miss" and "rebels" and they don't want to lose their identity. Even though that same identity is what hurts them AND the state of MS so much... It's hard for them to fight events like this, because they're essentially fighting traditions/names/mascots they want to keep... My brother/mom are OM grads, and they're truly embarrassed by this kind of stuff... They should be, hopefully enough fans like them decide to force real change.

They are truly the best example of someone being their own worst enemy.

Maybe I should have said they continue to embrace traditions that are associated with this culture. I don't think most Ole Miss fans/grads agree with the events that have occurred recently but I do think that a majority of them want to keep some traditions that are associated with them. It wasn't but a few years ago that their chancellor had the band quit playing "From Dixie with Love" because the students wouldn't quit yelling, at his request, "the South will rise again". I may be the most racially sensitive person in the world but if I'm wearing a shirt that contains words like rebel, dixie, confederate, or pictures of a confederate colonel or a confederate flag then people will form an opinion of me based on those words and symbols. Whether Ole Miss people like it or not they are going to be associated with unpopular views until they completely disassociate from some more of their traditions and symbols.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-21-2014, 12:16 PM
But that's what I'm talking about. Showing the army's lines is just "history", showing how the battle took place. At Vicksburg, Gettysburg, Shiloh, etc. both Confederate and Union soldiers are well represented.
They're not just showing lines, they've got monuments throughout these spaces and in the confederate side there are statues of military leaders. Do those confederate statues of military leaders not drum up the same emotions?

BeardoMSU
02-21-2014, 12:17 PM
I may be the most racially sensitive person in the world but if I'm wearing a shirt that contains words like rebel, dixie, confederate, or pictures of a confederate colonel or a confederate flag then people will form an opinion of me based on those words and symbols. Whether Ole Miss people like it or not they are going to be associated with unpopular views until they completely disassociate from some more of their traditions and symbols.

Well freakin' said, LC.

esplanade91
02-21-2014, 12:20 PM
There were a couple of my black classmates in high school who went to Ole Miss and I always asked them why they would want to go there and the racism and history of it had a lot to do with it. There are always going to be black kids at Ole Miss no matter what kind of dumb shit they do and in actuality I'm glad. Can you imagine an all white Ole Miss?

blacklistedbully
02-21-2014, 12:21 PM

When I was mixing it up with Rebs on Rivals just after the, "Crunchy Mike" episode, they were saying stuff like, "That's just one guy. He doesn't represent the true culture at Ole Miss". To this I replied that the thing that was telling to me wasn't that an OM student was shouting racial slurs like, "F those ******s", but that he was absolutely comfortable shouting it in their precious, popular Grove during a tailgate on game day, and that nobody felt the need to confront or admonish him at the time. To me, the fact that he could do that with little-to-no-fear of being confronted was indicative of the level of intolerance and racism that still exists there. No, I don't think most of the students there are blatantly racist, but I do think a high enough % are as to make it a real problem they continue to have, yet deny.

I think it's also likely another huge % of them care far more about their traditions than they do about fixing the problem.

BeardoMSU
02-21-2014, 12:23 PM
How does any of this relate to Ole Miss calling themselves the Rebels, wearing "confederate greys", etc.? They are using these images as a point of pride, not harrowing remembrance. That's the difference.

When you visit a park like Gettysburg, the purpose there is to educate people as to the immense loss of life and how that battle was a monumental turning point in the war. The same for WWII parks and monuments in Europe.

What are we not comprehending here?

jimbo352
Maybe I should have said they continue to embrace traditions that are associated with this culture. I don't think most Ole Miss fans/grads agree with the events that have occurred recently but I do think that a majority of them want to keep some traditions that are associated with them. It wasn't but a few years ago that their chancellor had the band quit playing "From Dixie with Love" because the students wouldn't quit yelling, at his request, "the South will rise again". I may be the most racially sensitive person in the world but if I'm wearing a shirt that contains words like rebel, dixie, confederate, or pictures of a confederate colonel or a confederate flag then people will form an opinion of me based on those words and symbols. Whether Ole Miss people like it or not they are going to be associated with unpopular views until they completely disassociate from some more of their traditions and symbols.

Spot on. My mom was proud to be a black bear... I gave her hell, as any good bulldog should, but she never wavered. I was proud of her. It will take more fans like her to change the culture in Oxford. It's a double edge sword... It helps us in recruiting, and that's great... But I feel bad as a Mississippian.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
There were a couple of my black classmates in high school who went to Ole Miss and I always asked them why they would want to go there and the racism and history of it had a lot to do with it. There are always going to be black kids at Ole Miss no matter what kind of dumb shit they do and in actuality I'm glad. Can you imagine an all white Ole Miss?
WTF?

messageboardsuperhero
02-21-2014, 12:34 PM
How does any of this relate to Ole Miss calling themselves the Rebels, wearing "confederate greys", etc.? They are using these images as a point of pride, not harrowing remembrance. That's the difference.

When you visit a park like Gettysburg, the purpose there is to educate people as to the immense loss of life and how that battle was a monumental turning point in the war. The same for WWII parks and monuments in Europe.

What are we not comprehending here?

I was about to post the same thing. There are lots of WWII parks and monuments all over Europe, but you don't see old Nazi statues at the entrances of colleges in Germany.

It's all about context- there are times and places to have Confederate war monuments (ie, museums, parks, etc.), but the entrance of a progressive, public university is not one of them.

BeardoMSU
02-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Boom! Precisely.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-21-2014, 12:59 PM
It's all about context- there are times and places to have Confederate war monuments (ie, museums, parks, etc.), but the entrance of a progressive, public university is not one of them.
Fair enough...I went and looked the pic of the statue and it's nothing different than you would find in a civil war park. It's a monument to those Mississippians who were from that area and that died fighting in the civil war. There's nothing that screams racism other than it having the word confederate on it. Now we can argue all day about why the civil war was fought, but I don't think we have time for that haha.

messageboardsuperhero
02-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Fair enough...I went and looked the pic of the statue and it's nothing different than you would find in a civil war park. It's a monument to those Mississippians who were from that area and that died fighting in the civil war. There's nothing that screams racism other than it having the word confederate on it. Now we can argue all day about why the civil war was fought, but I don't think we have time for that haha.

Right, and I'm sure there are no intended racial undertones behind the statue being there (at least not today)- but the fact of the matter is that a significant percentage of people that attend your university feel very uncomfortable with it being there.

At the end of the day, you shouldn't just alienate an entire race (thousands of people) at a school over something like a statue. Just like you shouldn't alienate those same people by naming one of your streets "Confederate Drive." Or by naming your sports teams the "Rebels."

jimbo352
02-21-2014, 01:25 PM
I may be the most racially sensitive person in the world but if I'm wearing a shirt that contains words like rebel, dixie, confederate, or pictures of a confederate colonel or a confederate flag then people will form an opinion of me based on those words and symbols. Whether Ole Miss people like it or not they are going to be associated with unpopular views until they completely disassociate from some more of their traditions and symbols.

Well freakin' said, LC.

I have to laugh at the irony here... You're agreeing that associating with or wearing certain symbols could give people a negative impression/opinion of you... While also having a disgustingly racist character, who had slaves fight to the death, in your avatar...

You have to admit that it's pretty funny...

BeardoMSU
02-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Uh....damnit....you got me, I'm Calvin Candy incarnate*** :o

jimbo352
02-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Uh....damnit....you got me, I'm Calvin Candy incarnate*** :o

I KNEW IT!!!!

BeardoMSU
02-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Come back later. After dinner we're serving Wwwwhite cake***