PDA

View Full Version : Put on your BearShark hat a minute...

Coach34
02-20-2014, 04:20 PM
Exhibit A) Gonna offer 25K to find out who put a noose on a statue. A statue. We talkin bout a statue. A statue mane. Not a person, not a person.... a statue. While rumors are circulating that the statue is very traumatized and will indeed seek counseling, people in the statue's camp believe the statue will make a full recovery.

Exhibit B) We had an Ole Miss student beaten on campus to the point he was sent to the hospital after being knocked unconscious and had a seizure. That's a human life. The University has taken the stance that it wasn't the Kimchee's that did it. Fine. So where is the 25K reward to find the actual culprit???? Why isn't the University working in conjunction with the beaten OM student to find who assaulted him? By doing this- they would clear the Kimchee's- because they told us it is mistaken identity- and solve a terrible crime that took place on their campus. They would be helping bring justice to one of their students.

Why are they so quick to help the statue being traumatized- but so against helping a student who was gang-beaten?

Gordon Gekko
02-20-2014, 04:28 PM
Ha, that's a good point coach.

RossDawg82
02-20-2014, 04:35 PM
They are trying to spin this as though racism isn't a part of their tradition so by offering $25K it shows the readers that they have taken a strong stance against this. I guess they just don't give two shits about frat boys. Nor do they care what the public thinks about them either. I don't think this has anything to do with the person just the incident. They probably could care less (in fact would probably prefer not to find the statue killer). Just putting a reward will give them a little more favor in the public light.

Jack Lambert
02-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Well if they find who vandalized the statue they look good however if they find who beat the student they could look bad.

Coach34
02-20-2014, 04:46 PM
Well if they find who vandalized the statue they look good however if they find who beat the student they could look bad.

No way

If Ole Miss students did that to the statue- that looks bad.

If the Kimchee's didnt deliver a 2 million dolla ass whoopin, then the University would get great pub for helping 2 high profile football players- as well as a low profile, everyday student. It's win-win for them right?????

DawgHouseUnited
02-20-2014, 04:59 PM
No way

If OM can ostracize whoever did the vandalism, paint them as a "lone wacko" or something, they might get away with it. They're already gathering examples of racial unity- see the hottytoddy article that Interpolation_Dawg posted. They'll just trot those stories out to show how nice they really are, and show that the vandal(s) were the exception that slipped through their otherwise-stringent admission process.

Political Hack
02-20-2014, 05:12 PM
excellent question.

Jack Lambert
02-20-2014, 05:18 PM
No way

If the Kimchee's didnt deliver a 2 million dolla ass whoopin, then the University would get great pub for helping 2 high profile football players- as well as a low profile, everyday student. It's win-win for them right?????

Same thing but only different.

notsofarawaydawg
02-20-2014, 06:43 PM
They are trying to spin this as though racism isn't a part of their tradition so by offering $25K it shows the readers that they have taken a strong stance against this. I guess they just don't give two shits about frat boys. Nor do they care what the public thinks about them either. I don't think this has anything to do with the person just the incident. They probably could care less (in fact would probably prefer not to find the statue killer). Just putting a reward will give them a little more favor in the public light.

I would bet that Freeze promised to bring in some of his old basketball players for the weekend to smooth things over. I bet those teeth got in the way back then.

bannedwayne
02-20-2014, 07:35 PM
Exhibit A) Gonna offer 25K to find out who put a noose on a statue. A statue. We talkin bout a statue. A statue mane. Not a person, not a person.... a statue. While rumors are circulating that the statue is very traumatized and will indeed seek counseling, people in the statue's camp believe the statue will make a full recovery.

Exhibit B) We had an Ole Miss student beaten on campus to the point he was sent to the hospital after being knocked unconscious and had a seizure. That's a human life. The University has taken the stance that it wasn't the Kimchee's that did it. Fine. So where is the 25K reward to find the actual culprit???? Why isn't the University working in conjunction with the beaten OM student to find who assaulted him? By doing this- they would clear the Kimchee's- because they told us it is mistaken identity- and solve a terrible crime that took place on their campus. They would be helping bring justice to one of their students.

Why are they so quick to help the statue being traumatized- but so against helping a student who was gang-beaten?

With my BearShark hat on (so playing devil's advocate)...

A) The statue is an embarrassment. It makes OM look bad in the national media, fulfills stereotypes, and generally creates an atmosphere of shame. Sure, it's just a statue - but it's also a statue that is supposed to symbolize OM's "moving past" all of the racist history. Defacing the statue thats supposed to say "we aren't racist anymore" with an act of racial vandalism is a shame. If somebody did something overtly racist in Starkville, I'd want the ****ers caught and I'd want them to pay. I have no problem with them offering the reward, and I'd hope that we would do the same thing in a similar situation.

B) The likely culprits bring money to the school and make the alumni feel good about their university. They justify the assbeating with the fact that he used a racial slur, which brings up the whole "moving past racism thing" (see A). The national media didn't pick this up as a hate crime, so the embarrassment and shame isn't there. It's easy to blame the "racist" frat for the problem instead of the players who make plays on Saturdays.

I personally agree with the reaction to A, and I can actually see how someone could rationalize B (but that doesn't make it right).

Final thoughts? The statue incident makes OM look bad, so they (rightly) actively seek out the perp. The Nkemdiche incident is easily swept under the rug because the brothers Kim-dich-ee make plays on National TV on Saturdays.

Its a perception thing. Not internal perception, but external.

Coach34
02-20-2014, 08:54 PM

A) The statue is an embarrassment. It makes OM look bad in the national media, fulfills stereotypes, and generally creates an atmosphere of shame. Sure, it's just a statue - but it's also a statue that is supposed to symbolize OM's "moving past" all of the racist history. Defacing the statue thats supposed to say "we aren't racist anymore" with an act of racial vandalism is a shame. If somebody did something overtly racist in Starkville, I'd want the ****ers caught and I'd want them to pay. I have no problem with them offering the reward, and I'd hope that we would do the same thing in a similar situation.

B) The likely culprits bring money to the school and make the alumni feel good about their university. They justify the assbeating with the fact that he used a racial slur, which brings up the whole "moving past racism thing" (see A). The national media didn't pick this up as a hate crime, so the embarrassment and shame isn't there. It's easy to blame the "racist" frat for the problem instead of the players who make plays on Saturdays.

I personally agree with the reaction to A, and I can actually see how someone could rationalize B (but that doesn't make it right).

Final thoughts? The statue incident makes OM look bad, so they (rightly) actively seek out the perp. The Nkemdiche incident is easily swept under the rug because the brothers Kim-dich-ee make plays on National TV on Saturdays.

I wasnt aware that this was a fact- especially since the University position is that there were no witnesses to identify who did it or know what happened? We are talking about the University position- not Joe BearShark

messageboardsuperhero
02-20-2014, 09:14 PM

I'm a little confused.

So when we started hearing about this fight several months ago, the UM people who knew about it were saying that Denzel beat this guy up because he used a racial slur. Then when this stuff came out, the initial reaction was (again) the guy used a racial slur, which justified the beating- but after the University released their "It didn't happen; false accusations; nothing to see here; etc." statement, these same people turn back around and say that this beating didn't actually occur and that this guy is just looking for money and attention. Am I missing something here?

So initially these UM message board people say that it was a justified beating because of the slur, but now they're backtracking and saying that it actually never happened in the first place? Their whole stance on this thing is really bizarre to say the least... Gotta control that message and toe the party line.

preachermatt83
02-20-2014, 09:46 PM

outstanding!

bannedwayne
02-20-2014, 10:42 PM
I wasnt aware that this was a fact- especially since the University position is that there were no witnesses to identify who did it or know what happened? We are talking about the University position- not Joe BearShark

I don't know if its a fact, but thats the rationalization I've been hearing from bears I know.

And I have yet to talk to a reb that doesn't believe DK & RK were somehow involved in this fight.

CadaverDawg
02-21-2014, 07:32 AM
Put on your bear shark hat for a minute

http://img02.taobaocdn.com/bao/uploaded/i2/T1NpOZXhlxXXb2E_w4_053949.jpg

I strongly considered a white hood, but they've had a rough week.**