PDA

View Full Version : CCA Tournament this weekend? Anybody fishing it?

Johnson85
02-20-2014, 04:00 PM
Don't think it's real serious. Has a few youth categories and then categories for a two spec, one redfish stringer and maybe a largest sheephead.

BeastMan
02-20-2014, 08:54 PM
Don't think it's real serious. Has a few youth categories and then categories for a two spec, one redfish stringer and maybe a largest sheephead.

Me and my dad talked about hitting the bridge. I might might go in 2 weeks if the weather is good. I'm definitely going down 2nd weekend in March. $2,500 for largest sheepy is nice. Bridges gonna be packed

SpeckleDawg
02-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Thought about it, but I need to renew my CCA membership and probably couldn't make the captain's meeting tonight. I'm definitely going to go look for a few trout in the morning though. Weather looks good, although a little chilly.

BeastMan
02-21-2014, 10:58 AM
I heard they were catching some trout out front at the reefs. Makes me wants spring to hurry up badly

BeastMan
02-21-2014, 09:03 PM
My dad is one the way down now. Just told me he is either going to Cat or the marsh. He's rubbing it in since I couldn't make it this weekend. He's not fishing the tourney but he is going to the boat show.

SpeckleDawg
02-22-2014, 01:41 PM
Even though I didn't sign up for the tournament, I decided to grab some shrimp and go after some sheepies. Two of us in kayaks put 5 on ice, broke one good one off trying to get him on the boga & lost a couple more. All on live shrimp next to bridge pilings.

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t668/kbs68/1B506A8B-12D6-4542-AEED-3CFC2EE1ADAF_zpshn9jzleo.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/kbs68/media/1B506A8B-12D6-4542-AEED-3CFC2EE1ADAF_zpshn9jzleo.jpg.html)

BeastMan
02-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Nice fish Speck. Sheeps are great to eat. Were you on the bottom or 4-6 under a cork like some folks do? If you don't mind me asking, what kinda hook do you use when you target sheepshead, #2 circle or something like that? I'm really considering doing some trips this summer when the wind is bad where I specifically target sheepshead and I've never really done that.

SpeckleDawg
02-22-2014, 02:09 PM
They are great to eat, but painful to clean. I rarely target them, but figured the trout would be a tough go today. I started on a Carolina rig, but kept losing bait. They are good at that. I switched to free lining with just a small treble hook and that did the trick. Just cast right onto the piling, even bouncing it off of it sometimes, and let it slowly sink. This was under the BSL bridge on the East side. It's definitely a good trip saver when the wind kicks up.

interangler
02-28-2014, 01:01 AM
Its going to be a nice fish speck. They are really nice in taste, however, the ultimate problem is that they are tricky to clean. I am going to plan some more fishing trips (http://www.chicagobd.com/company/International-Angler-Fly-Fishing-Rods-Gear-Store-Reals-Online-Fly-Shop_18216176/) this summer, hope to get some trouts this time. :confused: