PDA

View Full Version : Catcher

MsStateBaseball
02-19-2014, 10:45 PM
Gavin Collins should be every day catcher. Not impressed with Randolph. Not a good game tonight win or lose,

maroonmania
02-19-2014, 10:56 PM
Britton just became a big question mark tonight as well. He has misplayed 3 or 4 balls minimum that have cost us dearly.

Todd4State
02-19-2014, 11:03 PM
We have to shore up our defense for sure. The tying run was a guy that Holder struck out and Randolph couldn't handle it.

messageboardsuperhero
02-19-2014, 11:06 PM
This game was 110% on the defense. If Randolph catches that easy fastball, we have two outs and nobody on in the bottom of the ninth.

Literally every single one of their runs was a product of our defensive screw ups. Terrible.

Todd4State
02-19-2014, 11:11 PM
And we left way too many runners on base. That may be an issue all year since Reid Humphries apparently realizes that he is a freshman. But that's even more reason to shore up the defense. If two guys can't hit- I'm going with the better defender between the two any and every single day.

MsStateBaseball
02-19-2014, 11:11 PM
Embarrassing..

Political Hack
02-19-2014, 11:17 PM
C and SS costs us in the 9th, but even Rea made an error and we know he's pretty sure handed. Was just an off night for everyone.

bully99
02-19-2014, 11:20 PM
Laughing at the Cohen hate. Every time I mention Cohens recruiting and strategies I get blasted by the Cohen people. This team has no power.

I also think Cohen is getting a reputation for not allowing his hitters to hit and his pitchers to pitch. Is that why we lost several top recruits last fall. Haven't been a great offense since Cohen has been here.

Getting to the title series can cover up a lot of flaws in a program.

Still early. But the scabs have been ripped off and the goo is leaking.

messageboardsuperhero
02-19-2014, 11:22 PM
Laughing at the Cohen hate. Every time I mention Cohens recruiting and strategies I get blasted by the Cohen people. This team has no power.

I also think Cohen is getting a reputation for not allowing his hitters to hit and his pitchers to pitch. Is that why we lost several top recruits last fall. Haven't been a great offense since Cohen has been here.

Good Lord, who is "hating Cohen?"

As much as I question the lineup tonight, Cohen is NOT the reason we lost. Our defense screwed us all game with silly errors and mental mistakes- that is why we lost. In fact I think every run they had (except maybe one) was unearned.

Todd4State
02-19-2014, 11:34 PM

Do you realize how dumb that sounds?

You don't have to have power to win. In fact, it's the least important thing a team has to have to win. Ask UCLA. You DO have to be able to catch the ball whether you are an Earl Weaver ball team or a small ball team.

If you are upset because we didn't get Touki Touissant and Dylan Cease- you would have been upset in July when they signed with MLB.

As I have said, we are going to have more power in the future. But we are what we are for the present.

But if you are bitching about Cohen's recruiting- you deserve to be blasted. We have two of the top power hitting prospects in the country committed right now in Austin Riley and Chase Vallot. We also have some freshmen that are on the team that will hit for power in time- but they have to develop.

preachermatt83
02-19-2014, 11:37 PM
Britton just became a big question mark tonight as well. He has misplayed 3 or 4 balls minimum that have cost us dearly.

Croom Diaries is a better man than me... I would be all over ED saying TOLD YA SO!!! if I was him!

preachermatt83
02-19-2014, 11:39 PM
Gavin Collins should be every day catcher. Not impressed with Randolph. Not a good game tonight win or lose,

yes! Randolph was not impressive in scrimmages either.

preachermatt83
02-19-2014, 11:40 PM
and for everyone saying "we get stonger as the year goes on under Cohen", I agree with you but we got a LONGGGGGGG way to go!!! We will get there, I really believe that, but man we are way off. Don't forget we started 17-0 last year!

bully99
02-19-2014, 11:41 PM
Anybody hear Cohen postgame.Curious as to what he said. After these type losses he's usually good at throwing a player or two under the bus.

Todd4State
02-19-2014, 11:43 PM
Anybody hear Cohen postgame.Curious as to what he said. After these type losses he's usually good at throwing a player or two under the bus.

See my post above. He was not happy.

DCdawg
02-20-2014, 12:00 AM
I played against Randolph through early years of baseball and two years in community college and was never impressed with him. Was surprised when he signed. He's not bad defensively but is below average at the plate. I think Ammo and Slauter both transfers who graduated the same year messed up the catcher recruiting and Randolph filled a need at the time.

Todd4State
02-20-2014, 02:02 AM
I played against Randolph through early years of baseball and two years in community college and was never impressed with him. Was surprised when he signed. He's not bad defensively but is below average at the plate. I think Ammo and Slauter both transfers who graduated the same year messed up the catcher recruiting and Randolph filled a need at the time.

Randolph was actually a walk-on, so we never signed him. He's a good emergency catcher- like the third guy at best type of guy.

I seen it dawg
02-20-2014, 07:12 AM

I know Todd hit on it already but it needs a second shot...are you ****ing serious? Title. Game. Covering flaws in a program? The program is beyond fine. In baseball when you have a new year you have a new roster. Sometimes it takes a little time for the roster to develop chemistry and the staff to get the right pieces in place, especially when there are a lot of pieces to work with. And sometimes the chemistry never develops and a roster underachieves. I don't think that will be the case with us but it happens. I would imagine Cohen ripped ass last night for the horseshit the players put on the field and I would also imagine we will see a couple of lineup changes on the weekend. So far the less than stellar showing is on the players. Exit head from ass and start playing the game the right way is what needs to happen.

HancockCountyDog
02-20-2014, 08:24 AM
Ive been off the grid for a few days. Everyone needs to take a breath.

My only concern from reading the baseball threads is that we still aren't hitting the ball with consistency and the play of our catcher. Our staff is lights out, and we will win 4 games this weekend and get back on track. Everyone just needs to realize we aren't going 60-0.

40 wins and we are a national seed.

The Croom Diaries
02-20-2014, 10:26 AM
Croom Diaries is a better man than me... I would be all over ED saying TOLD YA SO!!! if I was him!

Yeah it didn't really take long did it. 4 games. That's just people taking what Cohen says that Britton may be the best fielder in the SEC and not actually forming their own opinion. He may end up being great, but what I've seen in 2+ years is a guy who makes a lot of mistakes in the field. Not that he's bad, but I think Seth Heck may be better.