PDA

View Full Version : i fully support John Cohen...

preachermatt83
02-19-2014, 06:27 PM
He is a great coach and I am proud to have him but his fascination with Derrick Armstrong boggles my mind. Why in the world is he ever starting for an Omaha caliber team in beyond my comprehension!

preachermatt83
02-19-2014, 06:28 PM
now watch him go 4-4 tonight and make me look like an idiot!

Coach34
02-19-2014, 06:40 PM
Armstrong hit almost as high as Renfroe the 2nd half of the season last year

engie
Not this again. How many times do we have to explain it?

ETA: Here it is...one more time...

These threads are redundant...

The first 2 months of the season will be COMPLETELY FILLED with "mind bottling" personnel decisions, lineups, pitching substitutions, etc... and this putting of "strange players into strange circumstances" is what has basically allowed us to outmanage everyone for the last month and in the postseason -- because Cohen knows "our team" situationally better than almost anyone else in the country. How does he know this? Because he uses the early season as his own experiment.

BeardoMSU
To quote Burgess Meredeth: "We need speed. Speed's what we need. Greasy, fast speed!"

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/320/694/burgess_meredith_mickey_goldmill_rocky_crop_exact. png?w=1500&h=1500&q=85

preachermatt83
02-19-2014, 06:44 PM
speed don't matter when you can't get on base. His uncanny ability to hit into double plays at crucial times drives me nuts. He don't seem to be that fast then.

Coach34
02-19-2014, 06:45 PM
It's early season and you try things-especially with a talented roster.

BeardoMSU
02-19-2014, 06:46 PM
True; hopefully that will change. I do love when he pinch-runs though. The guy is a blur.

preachermatt83
02-19-2014, 06:47 PM
Not this again. How many times do we have to explain it?

ETA: Here it is...one more time...

I understand this... my point is he has tried it a million times with Armstrong and it just don't work... AGAIN LET ME SAY... I trust that what Cohen does 99 percent of the time leads to our teams peaking at the right time, but I think Armstrong falls into that 1 percent of the time where it doesn't. just my opinion .

Coach34
02-19-2014, 06:47 PM
speed don't matter when you can't get on base. His uncanny ability to hit into double plays at crucial times drives me nuts. He don't seem to be that fast then.

Hendo hits into the double plays- not Armstrong

preachermatt83
02-19-2014, 06:48 PM
It's early season and you try things-especially with a talented roster.

I agree with this, but the amount of talent on this roster tends to usually fade guys like Armstrong out.

Coach34
02-19-2014, 06:49 PM
I understand this... my point is he has tried it a million times with Armstrong and it just don't work... AGAIN LET ME SAY... I trust that what Cohen does 99 percent of the time leads to our teams peaking at the right time, but I think Armstrong falls into that 1 percent of the time where it doesn't. just my opinion .

dude- Armstrong hit .266 last year- you're acting like he batted .189

preachermatt83
02-19-2014, 06:50 PM

Hindu makes up for it with clutch hitting at other times. Armstrong hit into 1 DP this weekend that was at a very crucial time. Did it several times last year as well. But either way... In Cohen We Trust.

preachermatt83
02-19-2014, 06:51 PM
dude- Armstrong hit .266 last year- you're acting like he batted .189

Good Lawd it didn't seem like it, I thought it was more along the lines of .150 If this is correct then I stand corrected and will shut up.

Todd4State
02-19-2014, 06:54 PM
Good Lawd it didn't seem like it, I thought it was more along the lines of .150 If this is correct then I stand corrected and will shut up.

We were a very good hitting team last year. Demarcus Henderson had a better year than Tanner Mathis- the lead off guy for Ole Miss.

preachermatt83
02-19-2014, 06:56 PM
my ONLY real question about this team is where will we replace Adam Fraziers 900000000 hits. That guy was like a machine.

Coach34
02-19-2014, 06:57 PM

Armstrong- .266...hit into 3 DP's (Hendo hit into 9)...OBP- .356...4/5 SB's

Todd4State
02-19-2014, 06:59 PM
my ONLY real question about this team is where will we replace Adam Fraziers 900000000 hits. That guy was like a machine.

Frazier was actually better as a sophomore than he was last year. We may not be able to replace his hits, but we can get his "bases"- think Moneyball- in other ways such as stolen bases and things like that.

And yes, I know Moneyball was not big about stolen bases, but when you can't sign pro hitters and you are a college team, you have to rely on speed a little bit more.

quickstrike2
02-19-2014, 07:07 PM

I don't think I will ever get over Hendo not getting the bunt down and promptly hitting into a double play in game 1 against UCLA.

Goat Holder
02-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Main reason is because he's right handed. Armstrong may surprise down the stretch, Cohen loves his hitting and many JUCOs hit their peak near the second half of their second year. And it's not all on Armstrong, Vickerson/Robson/Brown haven't stepped up either and taken the LF position. For that matter, Henderson has never really stepped up and took the RF position. He does just good enough.

MarketingBully01
02-19-2014, 07:22 PM
Main reason is because he's right handed. Armstrong may surprise down the stretch, Cohen loves his hitting and many JUCOs hit their peak near the second half of their second year. And it's not all on Armstrong, Vickerson/Robson/Brown haven't stepped up either and taken the LF position. For that matter, Henderson has never really stepped up and took the RF position. He does just good enough.

I was right with you goat until you said Henderson hadn't take the right field position. He made a heck of a catch on Sunday that possibly saved two runs. His hitting this year has been above expected. I think he does deserve RF. LF on the other hand is up in the air. Let's hope Armstrong can do some damage at the lead off spot.

engie
02-19-2014, 07:46 PM
He is a great coach and I am proud to have him but his fascination with Derrick Armstrong boggles my mind. Why in the world is he ever starting for an Omaha caliber team in beyond my comprehension!

Derrick Armstrong with a lead off single

Homedawg
02-19-2014, 08:40 PM

The fact u said he didn't seem fast showed your lack of knowledge. He can absolutely fly. Now I'm not a huge Armstrong fan but I'm w engie, Cohen lets the players decide who is going to play when there isn't a huge gap.