PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss ain't fooling anybody with this hate crime stuff with the Meredith statue...

Goat Holder
02-19-2014, 02:02 PM
http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20140219/NEWS01/302190016/FBI-determine-Meredith-statue-s-defiling-hate-crime

The only reason they are getting all pissed about this is because they don't want Ole Miss to be looked down upon. Don't think for a second all these Ole Miss nimrods on facebook/twitter/etc. give two shits about that statue or what it stands for. They want to send a message.

Hate crime for a statue? Give me a break. Find the perps, arrest them for vandalism. Hate crime crap is just an outlet for self-loving rebel fans to preserve the glory which is Bear U.

Saltydog
02-19-2014, 02:08 PM
out of someone and there were NO criminal charges but then someone puts a flag/noose on a statue and it's a hate crime. WTF?

Goat Holder
02-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Also, and I'm not saying this is right, but people can stand out in the street and yell racial sh*t all they want to, and they aren't committing a crime. Obviously you have to deal with the consequences if an offended person wants to come up and beat your ass, but it's not a crime. Maybe disturbing the peace or something.

Nothing about this case says 'hate crime'. This is simply Ole Miss PR at work.

coastratdog
02-19-2014, 02:12 PM
Could this have been done as a distraction by OM because they knew the lawsuit was coming out? Whatever.

Goat Holder
02-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Not sure if you're sarcastic or not, but it brings up an interesting point. Some "AC repair man" just happens to notice two WHITE guys with CAMOUFLAGE pants on, dancing around yelling racial epithets at the statue? Seems a little too cliche to me.

bannedwayne
02-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Not to be a contrarian, but even the OM hype machine can't call in the FBI as a PR stunt.

The FBI investigates acts of vandalism with a racial bias as a hate crime, as described in their "Hate Crime" overview.

I don't necessarily agree that defacing a statue (even a racially important statue) could be a hate crime, but apparently the FBI has a different standard than me.

FYI, I didn't go searching for this. Just happened to see this linked on JFP after seeing this thread.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/civilrights/hate_crimes/overview

Political Hack
02-19-2014, 07:14 PM
http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20140219/NEWS01/302190016/FBI-determine-Meredith-statue-s-defiling-hate-crime

The only reason they are getting all pissed about this is because they don't want Ole Miss to be looked down upon. Don't think for a second all these Ole Miss nimrods on facebook/twitter/etc. give two shits about that statue or what it stands for. They want to send a message.

Hate crime for a statue? Give me a break. Find the perps, arrest them for vandalism. Hate crime crap is just an outlet for self-loving rebel fans to preserve the glory which is Bear U.

I've never seen it, but I was told the placement of the statue itself is hidden out of the back side of a prominent building.

bannedwayne
02-19-2014, 07:20 PM
I've never seen it, but I was told the placement of the statue itself is hidden out of the back side of a prominent building.

I don't think that's right....

I saw it at the Egg Bowl 4 years ago. If I remember right it is in a large green space in front of their library and behind some other old building. A stones throw away from the football stadium but in the middle of alot of academic buildings.

I remember walking past it when I was going to the grove to meet some friends before the game and asking what it was.

Vandownbytheriver
02-19-2014, 08:04 PM
It's between the Lyceum and the library.

M.Fillmore
02-19-2014, 10:43 PM
Just happened to see this linked on JFP after seeing this thread.

You read JFP? DonnerKay is one wacked out nut job.

Bo Darville
02-20-2014, 08:33 AM
Yeah, hate crime is so stupid in case. I mean you have 5 or 6 players beat the shit out of someone and there were NO criminal charges but then someone puts a flag/noose on a statue and it's a hate crime. WTF?

Two African-Americans recently convicted of killing the white manager of Party City in Ridgeland. Hate crime never mentioned. I guess they murdered him out of love. A statue is much more important than a living, breathing human being evidently.

Political Hack
02-20-2014, 09:47 AM
what is JFP?

thf24
02-20-2014, 09:51 AM
I would even agree with the hate crime classification if the statue was permanently damaged, but in reality it wasn't even vandalized, at least any more vandalized than when opposing teams' jerseys get put on the Bear Bryant statue. "Hate?" Definitely. "Hate crime?" For putting a few easily removable objects on a statue? No, that's absurd. The real issue to me here is that the government has stepped in, taken this sickening but frankly unsurprising incident, and turned it into a PC stunt for its own benefit, when there are many other more serious issues in this vein that they should expend this type of attention and effort on.

Political Hack
02-20-2014, 09:57 AM
the fed stepping in to quell racial tensions on Ole Miss's campus is not shocking. It's not like it hasn't happened before. I applaud the fed for lending heir resources to the school who obviously wants to catch the perps given that they've announced a $25k reward.

The university, the state, and OM fans alike shod be thankful that they're receiving the assistance of the best investigative body in the US instead of bitching about it. To me, it makes it look like they don't want the perps to be caught if they're not gladly accepting all available investigative resources.

So, who gives a damn what it's called? Just catch the perps.

M.Fillmore
02-20-2014, 09:57 AM
Jackson Free Press. It is run by Donna Ladd, a screwball with transparently thin skin. She will argue on and on and on will people on minute points by email, on Facebook, etc. She has to have the last word on everything no matter how silly. She has zero credibility with any I've ever spoken with.

bannedwayne
02-20-2014, 10:44 AM
the fed stepping in to quell racial tensions on Ole Miss's campus is not shocking. It's not like it hasn't happened before. I applaud the fed for lending heir resources to the school who obviously wants to catch the perps given that they've announced a $25k reward.

The university, the state, and OM fans alike shod be thankful that they're receiving the assistance of the best investigative body in the US instead of bitching about it. To me, it makes it look like they don't want the perps to be caught if they're not gladly accepting all available investigative resources.

So, who gives a damn what it's called? Just catch the perps.

The only reason it matters is that hate crimes are prosecuted with harsher sentencing and prosecuted on the federal level.

That means Federal Pound me in the Ass Prison for the perp. And those ****ers deserve it.

bannedwayne
02-20-2014, 10:45 AM
Jackson Free Press. It is run by Donna Ladd, a screwball with transparently thin skin. She will argue on and on and on will people on minute points by email, on Facebook, etc. She has to have the last word on everything no matter how silly. She has zero credibility with any I've ever spoken with.

Agreed. JFP is the worst.

I check on it online every once in a while because it's the only alternative for City news other than the CL.

bonesknowstig
02-20-2014, 10:56 AM
Hey guys... new to the forum. Been reading a while. You guys really think Ole Miss would have set this up as a stunt? Seems a little too deep... even for them.

QuadrupleOption
02-20-2014, 11:15 AM
The only reason it matters is that hate crimes are prosecuted with harsher sentencing and prosecuted on the federal level.

That means Federal Pound me in the Ass Prison for the perp. And those ****ers deserve it.

I'm gonna have to disagree there. What they did was distasteful but in no way rises to the level of a Federal crime. Just take the noose off (done), find them, and kick them out of school for awhile. Or sentence them to community service and make them pay restitution to the university without kicking them out.

notsofarawaydawg
02-20-2014, 11:25 AM
I would even agree with the hate crime classification if the statue was permanently damaged, but in reality it wasn't even vandalized, at least any more vandalized than when opposing teams' jerseys get put on the Bear Bryant statue. "Hate?" Definitely. "Hate crime?" For putting a few easily removable objects on a statue? No, that's absurd. The real issue to me here is that the government has stepped in, taken this sickening but frankly unsurprising incident, and turned it into a PC stunt for its own benefit, when there are many other more serious issues in this vein that they should expend this type of attention and effort on.

Couldn't the Grove be considered a racial problem since most hangings back then took place in trees? Just sayin

bannedwayne
02-20-2014, 11:41 AM
I'm gonna have to disagree there. What they did was distasteful but in no way rises to the level of a Federal crime. Just take the noose off (done), find them, and kick them out of school for awhile. Or sentence them to community service and make them pay restitution to the university without kicking them out.

Agree. But I think if it was a student, they will almost certainly be kicked out (if for no other reason than their own safety).

I was only commenting that the FBI Investigates acts of vandalism with racial overtones as hate crimes. My guess in this situation is that they will find it wasn't a hate crime.

When I think of racially driven acts of vandalism I think of images such as burning crosses. This certainly doesn't reach that level of shithead, but I can see why it is being looked into.

For what it is worth, I almost wish the idiot who did this would be charged with a hate crime, just to get these ignorant ****ers away from the rest of civilized society. I would be a terrible politician/law enforcement officer.

drunkernhelldawg
02-20-2014, 11:48 AM
Two African-Americans recently convicted of killing the white manager of Party City in Ridgeland. Hate crime never mentioned. I guess they murdered him out of love. A statue is much more important than a living, breathing human being evidently.

That's really not comparable. A better comparison is to cross burning. I think it's more of a stupid prank than a hate crime, but the existence of black criminals does not have anything to do with whether this is a hate crime. Your post reminds me of the protests of previous generations. For the record, I love the hell out of all of my uncles whether they use the n word or not. But I surely don't use it myself because I am living in a world that is past that race war bullshit.

M.Fillmore
02-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Re: Party City murder. The accomplice testified against the murderer and the accomplice still got 45 years.
I have not heard what the murderer received.

So it is not like these guys skated. Madison County is not Hinds County.

M.Fillmore
02-20-2014, 12:38 PM
Agreed. JFP is the worst.

I check on it online every once in a while because it's the only alternative for City news other than the CL.

Try Jackson Jambalaya http://kingfish1935.blogspot.com/

In no way do I agree with him on everything, but he does a good job with local news. He gets a lot of stuff the CL misses.

bannedwayne
02-20-2014, 01:15 PM
Try Jackson Jambalaya http://kingfish1935.blogspot.com/

In no way do I agree with him on everything, but he does a good job with local news. He gets a lot of stuff the CL misses.

I read JJ every once in a while.

The comments literally make me sick sometimes though. Pointless bitching back and forth.