PDA

View Full Version : Team discipline can make or break your coaching career

Coach34
02-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Saw this tweet this morning, and it just really shows why Ole Miss is in the shape it's in:

@SaturdayEdge 23m
RT @YahooDrSaturday: TCU wide receiver LaDarius Brown kicked off team after marijuana arrest

Brown was a 4-star WR coming out of HS per Rivals

Dan Mullen boots 5-star Quay Evans after various incidents- some publicized, some werent.

There comes a point that even with talented players- you have to get rid of them because they are making your team worse. Stands and Freezus are so much alike from a discipline standpoint. Now, Stands is not a hypocritical piece of shit like Freezus, but their methods on some things are very similar. When you make the deals they made, you end up being prisoner to those players character. When it's Lawrence Roberts and Shane Power- life is good. When it's Rayvern Johnson and Renardo Sidney- you're ****ed. Did Freezus cut bait with Brunetti when he got arrested for weed? Hell no- Brunetti didnt miss a game. Not one

Freezus is ****ed right now. The Kimchee Brothers have him over a barrel and he knows it. Stolen tip jars, fights, arrests, drugs....the best thing for Ole Miss would be to send these guys packing- their team would be better off in the long run if he did it. But when you make deals with the Devil....

notsofarawaydawg
02-19-2014, 10:22 AM
http://www.roanoketeaparty.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Deal-with-the-Devil.jpg

dawgs
02-19-2014, 11:52 AM
stans didn't start out that way though. remember when he booted robert jackson off the team? he was our best player at the time, but afterwards we improved and it opened the door for mario austin to flourish. you could also argue that he used to recruit a higher caliber person without sacrificing talent - guys like markell, zimmermann, winsome, varnado, etc.

towards the end, i don't know if he just didn't have the fight in him to deal with guys like sidney and ravern, or if we were just in a position were the higher character guys weren't interested and he was forced to gamble on talent with character issues.

MadDawg
02-19-2014, 11:59 AM
stans didn't start out that way though. remember when he booted robert jackson off the team? he was our best player at the time, but afterwards we improved and it opened the door for mario austin to flourish. you could also argue that he used to recruit a higher caliber person without sacrificing talent - guys like markell, zimmermann, winsome, varnado, etc.

towards the end, i don't know if he just didn't have the fight in him to deal with guys like sidney and ravern, or if we were just in a position were the higher character guys weren't interested and he was forced to gamble on talent with character issues.

I think it's a little of both. Also, the whole "great talent guy with issues looking for a plce to land" is a crap shoot to begin with. There's only ever going to be so many of those guys out there that you can snag up. Hindsight is 20/20 but I bet if he had a chance to do it all over, Stansbury would have simply passed on the all-world talented Sidney.

Coach34
02-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Yep- he did boot Jackson and program ended up better off because of it. When he didnt- it cost him his job. That is where Freezus is heading and why I have never worried about him doing anything big at OM- that type of toxic atmosphere is always on borrowed time

Exactly my point

dawgs
02-19-2014, 01:26 PM
Yep- he did boot Jackson and program ended up better off because of it. When he didnt- it cost him his job. That is where Freezus is heading and why I have never worried about him doing anything big at OM- that type of toxic atmosphere is always on borrowed time

Exactly my point

yeah i was just defending stans a bit. it was time for stans to go no doubt, he made his bed at the end and he had to lie in it, so i'm not one of the stans apologists. i'm just pointing out that at least stans at one point, didn't put up with the bullshit. freeze never had that period in his career. at least not at ole miss. he's been in stans 2009-2012 mode from day 1.

drunkernhelldawg
02-19-2014, 01:34 PM
yeah i was just defending stans a bit. it was time for stans to go no doubt, he made his bed at the end and he had to lie in it, so i'm not one of the stans apologists. i'm just pointing out that at least stans at one point, didn't put up with the bullshit. freeze never had that period in his career. at least not at ole miss. he's been in stans 2009-2012 mode from day 1.

I felt like he was in a bit of a personal slump for the last two-three seasons. It looked during the last half of that last season like he was coming out of it, getting his footing back, but shit got all in the fan before he could complete the cycle. Just how it looked to me.

maroonmania
02-19-2014, 01:48 PM
I felt like he was in a bit of a personal slump for the last two-three seasons. It looked during the last half of that last season like he was coming out of it, getting his footing back, but shit got all in the fan before he could complete the cycle. Just how it looked to me.

Think about the 2004 team. It flourished because it had a very talented starting 5 of players that were all of high character (Bowers, Frazier, Power, Vincent, Roberts). Those guys policed themselves and the rest of the team. Its when Stans was needed to step in that we got into problems. Stans was a great recruiter because recruiting is all about befriending someone and buttering them up, disciplining however is all about confrontation and accountability which Stans was terrible at. And maybe it was just coincidence but it seemed like what little discipline we had late under Stans disappeared when Kirby left.

Coach34
02-19-2014, 01:56 PM
I actually hate that this is going in the direction of Stands rather than Freezus- but the Kirby question is a legit one. A coach that is not a big disciplinarian can get away with it when he has an assistant playing that role. And that definitely could have been where Kirby sorts kept things together for us. I cant honestly answer that question. But from the outside looking in- could have easily been the case.

The team discipline certainly got worse after he left.

MadDawg
02-19-2014, 02:42 PM
I'd argue that it's very, very difficult to impose strict discipline if it's coming only from the coaches. You need to have players that can be the de-facto coaches when they aren't there. Players can say and do things coaches can't. And maybe that's one of the problems with college basketball. You don't have to necessarily be a senior to demand some respect from your teammates and in turn demand they keep their head on straight and stay out of trouble. But it sure helps. And today, there just aren't many seniors playing college ball.

LC Dawg
02-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Team and/or program implosions usually don't happen in one big bang. You can look back at the decisions and events that took place in our basketball program that eventually led to the complete unraveling of the program. I think we are probably currently looking at decisions and events that will eventually lead to the complete unraveling of the UofOM football program. As stated, Freeze is probably in too deep at this point to do anything about it. And we thank the whole Rebel family for the pure entertainment aspect of it all.

coastdoglover
02-19-2014, 03:10 PM
Coach, please go one day without bashing Rick Stansbury. Your obsession is ridiculous . Rick benched Charles Rhodes and Kodi Augustus and they came back as better players and helped us a lot. Get over it, we know you hate him.

Saw this tweet this morning, and it just really shows why Ole Miss is in the shape it's in:

@SaturdayEdge 23m
RT @YahooDrSaturday: TCU wide receiver LaDarius Brown kicked off team after marijuana arrest

Brown was a 4-star WR coming out of HS per Rivals

Dan Mullen boots 5-star Quay Evans after various incidents- some publicized, some werent.

There comes a point that even with talented players- you have to get rid of them because they are making your team worse. Stands and Freezus are so much alike from a discipline standpoint. Now, Stands is not a hypocritical piece of shit like Freezus, but their methods on some things are very similar. When you make the deals they made, you end up being prisoner to those players character. When it's Lawrence Roberts and Shane Power- life is good. When it's Rayvern Johnson and Renardo Sidney- you're ****ed. Did Freezus cut bait with Brunetti when he got arrested for weed? Hell no- Brunetti didnt miss a game. Not one

Freezus is ****ed right now. The Kimchee Brothers have him over a barrel and he knows it. Stolen tip jars, fights, arrests, drugs....the best thing for Ole Miss would be to send these guys packing- their team would be better off in the long run if he did it. But when you make deals with the Devil....

Coach34
02-19-2014, 03:17 PM
Coach, please go one day without bashing Rick Stansbury. Your obsession is ridiculous.

This is not a "bash" of Stands Grandpaw....we are talking about what actually took place and the corresponding downfall. What's ridiculous is that we cant even have a discussion about it without you whining

maroonmania
02-19-2014, 03:29 PM
I'd argue that it's very, very difficult to impose strict discipline if it's coming only from the coaches. You need to have players that can be the de-facto coaches when they aren't there. Players can say and do things coaches can't. And maybe that's one of the problems with college basketball. You don't have to necessarily be a senior to demand some respect from your teammates and in turn demand they keep their head on straight and stay out of trouble. But it sure helps. And today, there just aren't many seniors playing college ball.

You are dead on with your comment. The ONLY thing that kept Marcus Bullard under control in his early years at MSU was Daryl Wilson. Once Wilson graduated and was gone Marcus went back to his normal "thug" behavior.

notsofarawaydawg
02-19-2014, 04:03 PM
This is not a "bash" of Stands Grandpaw....

I just spit ice water all over my desk. Good one C34.

Homedawg
02-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Actually Stan's didn't kick off Robert Jackson, he let the team vote. They kicked him off.

coastdoglover
02-19-2014, 06:14 PM
And your so obsessed you cannot even see you are bashing Rick. he is gone, can you not concentrate on anything else without taking a shot at him? I ain't whining, I am just pointing out the obvious.

This is not a "bash" of Stands Grandpaw....we are talking about what actually took place and the corresponding downfall. What's ridiculous is that we cant even have a discussion about it without you whining

Coach34
02-19-2014, 06:25 PM
Pops, how is talking about what led to his downfall- and comparing it with what is going on at Ole Miss with Freezus "bashing him"?

shannondawg
02-19-2014, 07:29 PM
Let him go grandpaw (hehehe) it feeds his ego to let him rant on. I almost was enjoying the thread, concentrating on Freezus. (And that's a name I can appreciate.)

Its all been said about Stansbury in the years that this vendetta started and from what people say, its been 7 or 8 now. So lets just see how much longer he keeps it up.