PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on baseball redshirts

Todd4State
02-18-2014, 10:14 PM
No Ole Miss football players were arrested during this post. Now that that is out of the way...

We are redshirting 9 players. And some of these guys would have played key roles for us 5 years ago- so we've come a LONG way. The only one that surprised me to a degree was Walker and maybe Swinarski. But very briefly some thoughts about these players and the big picture.

We have some very unbalanced classes and that's causing us to have a big class followed by a small one. Redshirting some of these players is going to help with that over time where we can be pretty balanced as far as what we can offer every year.

P- Ben Hudspeth: He was a catcher at Tupelo and sometimes pitched. The guy is a competitor and I saw him battle against MC's Dandy Dozen guys and led Tupelo to the state championship round. Then he pitches at ICC exclusively and goes 11-0. He struggled as a sophomore and then struggled with us. A year off and working with Butch will probably do him some good- but he's no doubt a Cohen guy in the competitive department. He'll be solid for us in the bullpen in 2015 and 2016.

P- Glenn Irby: He's a LHP that has a lot of different angles. He'll sit out this year and then go off somewhere this summer and refine those arm angles and be ready next year. I think he's going to have a good career as a relief pitcher for us.

P- Avery Geyer: He throws hard, but is on the small side. He's another guy that will be a solid bullpen arm for us and he'll spend this year bulking up.

P- Jacob Billingsley: I really like him a lot. He burst on the scene his senior year at Magnolia Heights and is sort of like Geyer- a RHP pitcher who is a little bit on the small side. He can run it up in the high 80's, low 90's.

P- Levi Mintz: He has a big frame and is supposed to have a good split finger fastball. We'll see what Butch can do with him.

C- Cody Walker: As I said, this surprised me a little bit. We'll see what the future holds for him, but it may depend on what Vallot does as far as coming to school and if Collins and Garner improve defensively. Him transferring out is probably not outside the realm of possibility at this point.

1B- Dylan Ingram: He made a late run to make the squad. Him being redshirted is a combination of the fact that we have Wes Rea and because he played at a very small private school in Alabama. He will benefit from summer baseball.

OF/1B- Brent Rooker: Gentlemen, we are redshirting a guy that made it to the National Power Showcase. He struggled in the fall, but the talent is there. He just has to develop confidence in himself.

OF- Joey Swinarski: This surprised me, but I'm glad we are doing it. We have a crowded outfield and he struggled in the scrimmages. IMO, he probably should have stayed in HS, but on the other hand, he gets an extra year of getting coached by Cohen.

messageboardsuperhero
02-18-2014, 10:28 PM
The talent we are REDSHIRTING this year is unbelievable- some of these guys would be starting or playing big roles for us as freshmen if they had come when Cohen first got here. This will help balance classes, as you said. This year's group was very big and next year will be small numbers wise.

As a slightly OT aside, I hope we send all these pitchers to Chal Fanning in California this summer. That guy has done incredible work with our pitchers in the past and apparently is a big reason why Trevor Fitts is primed to make a big jump this year.

Homedawg
02-18-2014, 10:30 PM
Remember 3 of these guys are on the 35 man roster. Just like Randolph was last year. An injury away from not red shirting, walker included.

Todd4State
02-18-2014, 10:49 PM
The talent we are REDSHIRTING this year is unbelievable- some of these guys would be starting or playing big roles for us as freshmen if they had come when Cohen first got here. This will help balance classes, as you said. This year's group was very big and next year will be small numbers wise.

As a slightly OT aside, I hope we send all these pitchers to Chal Fanning in California this summer. That guy has done incredible work with our pitchers in the past and apparently is a big reason why Trevor Fitts is primed to make a big jump this year.

I call him the baseball whisperer.

Todd4State
02-18-2014, 10:50 PM
Remember 3 of these guys are on the 35 man roster. Just like Randolph was last year. An injury away from not red shirting, walker included.

Yes, we have some flexibility in that regard.

State82
02-19-2014, 12:25 AM
Excellent run-down right there.

The Croom Diaries
02-19-2014, 08:03 AM
Good breakdown Todd. I took what Gene said as he was "assuming" who would redshirt...and that's what he said in the post. I do expect Walker to redshirt but not Swinarski. There is just no reason to - he'll be gone after 3 years so why not let him get some ABs in non-conference play this year? I'm sure he won't play in SEC but might as well let him vs. Holy Cross and Mt. Saint Mary's and such...at least get 20 or so ABs.

RAYn_Man
02-19-2014, 10:01 AM

shoeless joe
02-19-2014, 10:14 AM
Always good to be able to red shirt quality guys.

Goat Holder
02-19-2014, 10:25 AM
There is just no reason to - he'll be gone after 3 years so why not let him get some ABs in non-conference play this year? I'm sure he won't play in SEC but might as well let him vs. Holy Cross and Mt. Saint Mary's and such...at least get 20 or so ABs.

No. 1 - You can never be certain that someone will get drafted in 3 years.

No. 2 - We already have a crowded OF even without Swinarski (5 guys fighting for 2 spots, outside of Bradford in CF). He's like 17 and likely won't contribute much yet anyway, so why kill his confidence? Even Renfroe looked silly his freshman year.

No. 3 - I think his family planned this....get acclimated the first year, then hopefully be the starter in Year 2 after we lose 2 Sr. OF-ers. He is one of the first players to try to this route.

The Croom Diaries
02-19-2014, 11:07 AM
Swinarski is not on the 35 man this year.

How do you know that? And if he is not on the 35 man roster, that would mean he is receiving no scholarship money. If you're telling me we pulled a kid with high pro stock all the way from Orlando, FL with no scholly money then damn, Cohen is one hell of a recruiter.

bully99
02-19-2014, 11:08 AM
Don't know if Swanarski will play this year or not. Kind of hard to believe his parents wanted him to come and sit a year not playing any baseball.

Swinarski is not 17. He will turn 19 on July 9. When he's draft eligible in 2016, he'll be right around 21.

My guess is some of these redshirt guys will transfer after the season.

Goat Holder
02-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Sorry. My point was that he's supposed to be in High School at the moment, not on an SEC baseball team.

RAYn_Man
02-19-2014, 11:20 AM
-

The Croom Diaries
02-19-2014, 11:31 AM
We have 41 players and 9 are redshirted, meaning there a 3 scholarship guys redshirted. Cody Walker, Rooker, and Geyer are on scholarship, and hence on the 35 man. Swinarski is majoring in Aerospace Engineering. You think an Aerospace Engineer can't get some academic money?

How do you know who is on scholarship? I'd really like to know because that is some valuable info.

Swinarski's official profile says he chose MSU over scholarship offers from South Carolina and Central Florida. So if what you're saying is correct, he came to State over South Carolina - a program who has 2 national titles and a national title series appearance in the last 4 years - despite South Carolina offering him scholly money to play baseball and MSU not offering him one. Hey, maybe you're right, but it seems hard to believe.

bully99
02-19-2014, 12:21 PM
I think Cohen got caught up in a numbers game. I think he thought several more players were going pro last summer and really has too many players for too few spots.

thedawg
02-19-2014, 12:42 PM
Alot of times those state releases that say "chose scholarship over so and so" isnt exactly accurate... it means at one point he had an offer from South Carolina... not that he necessarily had an offer when chose to walk on for us... they could have moved on or filled up... I have no idea if that is the case here. I just know that some of the offers that some of our football guys claim wernt exactly commit able when we landed them... in the interest of full disclosure

DogDaddy
02-25-2014, 08:15 AM
How do you know that? And if he is not on the 35 man roster, that would mean he is receiving no scholarship money. If you're telling me we pulled a kid with high pro stock all the way from Orlando, FL with no scholly money then damn, Cohen is one hell of a recruiter.

He is a walk-on for this (2014) season.