PDA

View Full Version : Cody Walker is RS

MsStateBaseball
02-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Says Gene. So there it is. Wonder what Garner will do? Play third in 2015?

The Croom Diaries
02-18-2014, 08:15 PM
This had to be done. We have 20 position players and are only going to carry 16 in SEC play so that leaves Ingram, Rooker, Swinarski plus a catcher, and Walker is the odd man out, no sense in wasting a year of eligibility playing in non-conference.

state66
02-18-2014, 08:42 PM
Whats up with Zach Houston? Havent heard really anything about him and hes not on Gene's list of redshirts. Is he going to come out of the bullpen or something this year, I figured he would redshirt.

AlSwearengen
02-18-2014, 08:47 PM
Whats up with Zach Houston? Havent heard really anything about him and hes not on Gene's list of redshirts. Is he going to come out of the bullpen or something this year, I figured he would redshirt.

I don't really know anything other than Houston is 6'6"ish, throws in the low 90's, and is pretty raw. If he progresses, he will be very draftable, so the coaches may be looking at that and want to get him some experience during non conference games. If they redshirt him, they might only get two seasons out of him when he could have been getting some work this year.

MsStateBaseball
02-18-2014, 08:49 PM
Well see when guys have a really good chance of going pro after 3 years then he has to play.

bully99
02-18-2014, 09:35 PM
The Cody Walker redshirt doesn't make sense to me. If all four come back and Chase Vallot comes to school next year then you've got 5 catchers. . There must be a grand plan.

Todd4State
02-18-2014, 09:45 PM
Says Gene. So there it is. Wonder what Garner will do? Play third in 2015?

As far as Garner, my guess is that he may replace Rea at first base next year, and he will certainly be in the mix at 1B no matter what. He could also possibly DH, and that may be more likely. How he does this year will go a long way towards determining that. I don't think he could play 3B.

And as I said the other day, Gavin Collins could also possibly play other positions.

We also don't 100% no if Vallot will come to MSU or not, although at this point I still think there is a better than average chance of him making it to campus. I do think that Vallot will start at catcher if he makes it.

We'll have Randolph next year and I'm sure he will see a good bit of action as a senior.

Walker might end up being the odd man out depending on what happens with Vallot and how much Collins improves. We also have commitments from Hunter Stovall and Dustin Skelton who are both catchers.

We've reached the point where we don't need to go out and get any more JUCO catchers unless they are truly the second coming of Johnny Bench. We can always get a Mississippi JUCO guy like a Randolph to walk-on.

Homedawg
02-18-2014, 10:01 PM
Garner is not going to catch here barring something crazy. He's a hitter. Polk might have caught him for his bat but Jc isn't going to have a liability back there. He has improved, but not an sec guy

bully99
02-18-2014, 10:15 PM
Since Cohen has been here,how many redshirts have ended up transferring. Seems like a number of them, Can't walker turn pro after this year.

Homedawg
02-18-2014, 10:22 PM
I don't know this, but I'm willing to bet walker is on the 35 man roster.

Todd4State
02-18-2014, 10:24 PM
Since Cohen has been here,how many redshirts have ended up transferring. Seems like a number of them, Can't walker turn pro after this year.

I don't know the exact number, but Ross Mitchell redshirted and has had a lot of success. Preston Brown redshirted and he will be a decent arm out of the pen. I'd venture to guess that the guys that are redshirting now are better than the guys that were redshirting 4-5 years ago. We also had some guys 4-5 years ago that probably should have redshirted like Sam Frost and couldn't because of what was out there on the field.

bully99
02-18-2014, 10:31 PM
You may be right about walker, . Swindoll I think said he believes those he listed were redshirting this year, but you could have made that list by the guys who didn't play over the weekend.