PDA

View Full Version : Thursday severe weather

starkvegasdawg
02-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Ref and other met majors,

What are your thoughts on the weather for Thursday evening? Talk started out as mainly a damaging wind threat but as it drags on I am seeing more hints as a potential tornado threat evolving. Greg Forbes even used the phrase "possible tornado outbreak".

TheRef
02-18-2014, 06:26 PM
Ref and other met majors,

What are your thoughts on the weather for Thursday evening? Talk started out as mainly a damaging wind threat but as it drags on I am seeing more hints as a potential tornado threat evolving. Greg Forbes even used the phrase "possible tornado outbreak".

Maybe a few tornadoes on the Northern extent but I don't see it happening down here. I still think our main threat is straight-line winds and a few hail cores. Your real bullseye is around the Nashville area.

starkvegasdawg
02-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Meh. Not driving that far. Trying to decide whether or not to take off some work and break out the new storm chaser vehicle magnets I bought. Really wanted to stay closer to home this trip. If main tornado threat bullseyes Nashville then I may just save the vacation time.

TheRef
02-18-2014, 06:43 PM
Meh. Not driving that far. Trying to decide whether or not to take off some work and break out the new storm chaser vehicle magnets I bought. Really wanted to stay closer to home this trip. If main tornado threat bullseyes Nashville then I may just save the vacation time.

We will certainly know more by tomorrow. And I'm thinking this will be more of an evening event so I don't even think it's worth it.

starkvegasdawg
02-18-2014, 07:05 PM
Ref,

Just saw this from Reed Timmer on my Facebook. Not sure how accurate his forecasting skills are but he is not painting a rosy picture for eastern ms and into tn.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152237812779169&id=166805519168&set=a.169775739168.113995.166805519168&source=48

TheRef
02-18-2014, 07:08 PM
Ref,

Just saw this from Reed Timmer on my Facebook. Not sure how accurate his forecasting skills are but he is not painting a rosy picture for eastern ms and into tn.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152237812779169&id=166805519168&set=a.169775739168.113995.166805519168&source=48

Reed is a great storm chaser, but he's a very influential wishcaster as I'd like to call it. All he sees is the good in stuff and not necessarily the bad. I just don't see the tornado region stretching that far South. I see only about a 1-2 hour window for discrete cells before they go back to being linear. I just don't think that things are conducive to tornadoes, much less long-track tornadoes in the region. I still say that Nashville is the main threat area.

starkvegasdawg
02-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Reed is a great storm chaser, but he's a very influential wishcaster as I'd like to call it. All he sees is the good in stuff and not necessarily the bad. I just don't see the tornado region stretching that far South. I see only about a 1-2 hour window for discrete cells before they go back to being linear. I just don't think that things are conducive to tornadoes, much less long-track tornadoes in the region. I still say that Nashville is the main threat area.

That is why I ran it by you instead of blindly accepting the gospel according to Reed. Like you said...we will know more tomorrow.

Barking 13
02-18-2014, 11:10 PM
What does James Spann say? I love the Spann 24/7 weather app.. dude knows his stuff.. only thing is he's a bammer..lol

TheRef
02-19-2014, 12:09 AM
What does James Spann say? I love the Spann 24/7 weather app.. dude knows his stuff.. only thing is he's a bammer..lol

Got his broadcast certificate from MSU. He's a State grad (kinda) and supports MSU's Meteorology program if we need help. Spann is one of the best on-screen guys around.

Barking 13
02-19-2014, 12:47 AM
Got his broadcast certificate from MSU. He's a State grad (kinda) and supports MSU's Meteorology program if we need help. Spann is one of the best on-screen guys around.

Knows every freakin street, full state, from Starkville to Atlanta.... :D

Johnson85
02-19-2014, 08:43 AM
Reed is a great storm chaser, but he's a very influential wishcaster as I'd like to call it. All he sees is the good in stuff and not necessarily the bad. I just don't see the tornado region stretching that far South. I see only about a 1-2 hour window for discrete cells before they go back to being linear.

Eastern MS say: Weather nerds are ass holes.

starkvegasdawg
02-19-2014, 08:47 AM

Looks like you nailed it from what I am reading today. NWS taking most of the tornado threat out for MS and the Forbes has started to drop his TORCON for us too. If trends continue then I doubt I get out and chase much at all. Anything I would would be in the immediate area of Starkvegas.

TheRef
02-19-2014, 08:49 AM
Looks like you nailed it from what I am reading today. NWS taking most of the tornado threat out for MS and the Forbes has started to drop his TORCON for us too. If trends continue then I doubt I get out and chase much at all. Anything I would would be in the immediate area of Starkvegas.

ALWAYS wait until about a day out on local chasing here, unless we are having a April 27 style outbreak that everyone could see coming 4 days out then you can prepare like crazy.

starkvegasdawg
02-19-2014, 11:54 AM
You have to hand it to Reed. He has the courage of his convictions.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152239342839169&id=166805519168