PDA

View Full Version : Under the Radar MS 2015 kids

BeastMan
02-18-2014, 11:47 AM
By no means is this comprehensive but I gave 10 guys that aren't household names right now but could be by the end of the cycle. The summer circuit is huge for these guys to have a shot at MSU/OM/USM

http://3rdand57.com/2015-ms-under-the-radar-guys/

Spoiler on 2 guys I want MSU to look at very hard:

Ryan Gibson OL Bay St Louis- The knock on him is he's 6'3 260. It's only the 2nd semester of his Jr year of high school. He's minimum 3.5 years away from the playing field at State (if we were to offer). Watch his film. I dare you. He is one nasty SOB. He plays pisssed off as hell. I want this kid. Kind of reminds me of Day in hs.

Titus Ivory WR Terry- His team sucks really bad. He's probably had zero coaching and is raw as hell. Dude is 6'4 185 and is a really good athlete. You have to go through his whole hudl to find enough clips to judge him. I always thought the kid from Biloxi last year that was the same size was a bit soft. This guy isn't. At a minimum, I hope he makes it to summer camps and gets a long look by our staff. If he can drop a sub 4.5 40, it will be hard to not at least give him a conditional offer.

I also like Blake Hawkings from Iuka. 6'5 210 athletic QB. Doesn't have a huge arm. I don't think he gets an MSU offer but this is the kind of kid that USM has made a living off.

Jack Lambert
02-18-2014, 11:51 AM
6' 3" and pissed off might get you somewhere in high school but in the SEC every defensivie lineman are as big or bigger and more pissed off and probably faster.

mic
02-18-2014, 11:53 AM
Any kids from these smaller schools. 2A, 3A that are big and athletic (example B Mac) that play QB but will play another position in college ?? we seem to find one of these guys every year.

BeastMan
02-18-2014, 12:05 PM
6' 3" and pissed off might get you somewhere in high school but in the SEC every defensivie lineman are as big or bigger and more pissed off and probably faster.

6'3 310 is fine for an interior OL. The kid has 3-4 years to put that on. His film is really good, plus he plays 5A public school ball so the competition is legit. I have no inside info but I'd bet you in-state colleges are telling him a possible offer is contingent on him gaining weight. A "prove to me you want to play SEC ball by putting in the work to get bigger" deal.

BeastMan
02-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Fwiw Ryan Gibson is an 88 3-star with offers from Marshall, ULL, La Tech, Air Force, and Cincinatti right now. To write him off as to small right now might not be a good idea...

ETA- For proper perspective Jack Lambert, he's higher rated than any OL MSU signed in 2014

mic
02-18-2014, 12:12 PM
Fwiw Ryan Gibson is an 88 3-star with offers from Marshall, ULL, La Tech, Air Force, and Cincinatti right now. To write him off as to small right now might not be a good idea...

He might not be tall enough to play OT in college, but we can add size and he can play the interior for sure. Much rather have a athletic quick smart hungry nasty kid that we can add weight too than and oversize slower kid that dominates weaker high school teams just because of his size..

Johnson85
02-18-2014, 12:14 PM

6'3 and 260 and athletic (if he is) doesn't bother me at all if it looks like he has the frame to add weight (and assuming the 6'3 is legit). That seems like a decent starting point for an SEC OL recruit. Was Dillon Day much bigger than that as a Junior? I didn't think he was up to SEC size yet when we signed him.

sandwolf
02-18-2014, 12:33 PM
6'3 and 260 and athletic (if he is) doesn't bother me at all if it looks like he has the frame to add weight (and assuming the 6'3 is legit). That seems like a decent starting point for an SEC OL recruit. Was Dillon Day much bigger than that as a Junior? I didn't think he was up to SEC size yet when we signed him.

Per Scout, Day was 6'-4", 265# when we signed him.

Sacrifice
02-18-2014, 12:48 PM
I'm going with Jordan Wright RB from Pearl. I don't think he's been rated yet but he'll probably start out as a 3*. He reminds me a lot of Cadillac Williams, 6ft 200lb very quick but will lay the wood to people. I love the way he finishes his runs.

Bubb Rubb
02-18-2014, 01:13 PM
I think height is slightly overrated with OTs. If he is 6'3", athletic, and can gain enough weight without losing quickness, he can play there. Odds are, as a junior, he will probably grow another inch or two though.

1bigdawg
02-18-2014, 02:46 PM
I think height is slightly overrated with OTs. If he is 6'3", athletic, and can gain enough weight without losing quickness, he can play there. Odds are, as a junior, he will probably grow another inch or two though.

It is not height that is critical, it is arm length, which typically goes with height. If the arms are not long enough then the DE can keep the OT off of them and speed rush to the ball.

Westdawg
02-18-2014, 03:18 PM
A 6'3 OT in HS is one thing, but I probably would not want one at either OT spot at the SEC level. Now, an OG or C at any level that is 6'3 is a different story, then it is more about hips, lateral movement, quick punch and initial step, and leverage.

Coach34
02-18-2014, 03:28 PM
These two guys know exactly of which they speak...great posts guys

Todd4State
02-18-2014, 05:17 PM
Great article!

Some others I would add:

Kristian Crotwell- OG Jackson Prep. He's 6'3" 300 and MAIS o-linemen have done well recently for us. Is he this years MAIS guy that emerges? His family members are LSU fans, so it wouldn't be a Rawlings situation unless LSU comes along and offers.

Jaylen Smith- WR Pascagoula. 6'3" 215 and may grow into an H-back. Has an offer from Ole Miss and has been receiving interest from MSU.

Trey Smith- ATH Madison Central. 6'1" and is the son of former Jacksonville Jaguar Jimmy Smith. Is friends with Keenan Barnes and recently attended MSU's junior day. Has the ability to play several different positions. Will be MC's QB this year.

K.T. McCollins- CB Oxford. He has good size for a CB, and I'm not sure if he qualifies as under the radar since Paul has talked about him a lot.

J.B. Burns- C Corinth. The MSU coaches are allegedly looking at him.