PDA

View Full Version : James Meredith Statue

Oxfordawg
02-17-2014, 07:06 PM
Was found with a noose around the neck and draped in a old Georgia flag on OM campus. 2 people dressed in camo pants fleeing the scene

engie
02-17-2014, 07:10 PM
At the request of Chancellor Dan Jones, the university’s Alumni Association has offered a $25,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of two individuals involved in an early morning incident on The University of Mississippi campus.

The University Police Department (UPD) is looking for two men who were seen early Sunday morning near the James Meredith statue, which commemorates the 1962 integration of the university. One of the men was reported to have been wearing camouflage pants. The statue had been draped with a noose and an old Georgia state flag, and the men were heard shouting racial slurs.

Jones condemned the action as contrary to the beliefs and values of the university community. “These individuals chose our university’s most visible symbol of unity and educational accessibility to express their disagreement with our values. Their ideas have no place here, and our response will be an even greater commitment to promoting the values that are engraved on the statue – Courage, Knowledge, Opportunity, and Perseverance.”

Assistant to the Chancellor for Multicultural Affairs Don Cole reiterated the creed that the university stands by. “This is particularly painful because the James Meredith statue has become a gathering place for students to discuss many things, including the tenets of our creed, which calls for dignity and respect for all people.”

UPD has initiated a rigorous investigation and alerted Oxford Police. Anyone with information concerning the investigation is urged to contact UPD at 662-915-7234.

Was apparently sent out to students in an email

BeardoMSU
02-17-2014, 07:12 PM
If this type of thing "has no place at Ole Miss", then why does this type of thing always happen at Ole Miss? #Martyr

mic
02-17-2014, 07:14 PM
I mean damn .. Is OM trying to set a record for most bad publicity in a month.???

Political Hack
02-17-2014, 07:15 PM
That University is a constant embarrassment to my home state and it pisses me off to no end.

Coach34
02-17-2014, 07:17 PM
Wow. They can't stop stepping on their own dicks. It's just getting sad now

#GrenadaWithoutTheLake

CadaverDawg
02-17-2014, 07:19 PM
Par for the course.

http://media.salon.com/2012/11/20025451_BG2-460x307.jpg

Fins Up

drunkernhelldawg
02-17-2014, 07:20 PM
I'd be worried if I'd done it. That's a big reward.

Todd4State
02-17-2014, 07:21 PM
If it's two football players that did that, I'm going to laugh my ass off.

BeardoMSU
02-17-2014, 07:21 PM
That University is a constant embarrassment to my home state and it pisses me off to no end.

I've been saying it for years. If they really want to change their image and really "progress", they MUST drop everything related to their cherished images of the old south, the confederacy, everything. And yes, that includes the athletic name "Rebels".

BeardoMSU
02-17-2014, 07:24 PM
There is really nothing funny about this shit, guys. This WILL get national news, and the average person outside of Mississippi, will not see this as an Ole Miss issue, it will be a Mississippi issue, which impacts all of us.

Thanks assholes, for ****in' us again.

Coach34
02-17-2014, 07:26 PM
"Old Times there are not forgotten
Look away, look away Dixieland"

MSUDawg4Life
02-17-2014, 07:27 PM
"Family values".

All about "love" up there, you know?

smh

Those people are disgusting.

CadaverDawg
02-17-2014, 07:28 PM
"Old Times there are not forgotten
Look away, look away Dixieland"

They're great at the "look away, look away" part

BrunswickDawg
02-17-2014, 07:36 PM
Guys, this is the type incident that will draw attention and people who start asking questions about all sorts of other things. We may be about to see a 4 alarm dumpster fire.

FlabLoser
02-17-2014, 07:41 PM
I've been saying it for years. If they really want to change their image and really "progress", they MUST drop everything related to their cherished images of the old south, the confederacy, everything. And yes, that includes the athletic name "Rebels".

THIS all day. It's Marketing 101.

Unfortunately the Ole Miss fanbase won't tolerate dropping "Ole Miss" or "Rebels" or Dixie. In fact, their marketing heavily promotes "I AM A REBEL".

Such promotion is an underhanded admission that "Rebels" is something that is otherwise shameful in its own right. The point is they wouldn't have to try so hard to redefine "Rebels" if there were nothing inherently wrong with it.

They need a complete branding overhaul. But it won't happen. They barely survived the on-field dismissal of Col Reb. These days Col Reb canbe found in the Grove with old south sympathizers. Lots of good that did.

Esmerelda Villalobos
02-17-2014, 07:45 PM
Spirit is shut down.

Political Hack
02-17-2014, 07:53 PM
they always do beardo. I despise them for it.

RossDawg82
02-17-2014, 07:56 PM
This is horrible on all counts. The rebels might be able to keep the NCAA at arms length but now they are going to deal with the liberal media. No one wins that. I agree that this is a black eye for the state not just that ignorant program up north.

msstate7
02-17-2014, 07:58 PM
http://s8.postimg.org/dh9nhg835/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/dh9nhg835/)

BeardoMSU
02-17-2014, 08:00 PM
Don't make this a "liberal media" thing, man - any response they get for this situation is about human decency, not politics.

Coach34
02-17-2014, 08:04 PM
They just never stop either over there. Tx Muddawg could make an Ole Miss Tradition Part II

drunkernhelldawg
02-17-2014, 08:08 PM
It's an absolutely despicable action. People need to grow up and stop fanning the racist's flames of one dismal part of our great state's history. I mean, anybody who thinks he's better than someone else because of his race either has a two-inch dick or an IQ of about 90. I'm shocked that the Harvard of the South would allow such characters into its vicinity. Somebody has obviously cheated on his ACT.

drunkernhelldawg
02-17-2014, 08:11 PM
The horrible thing is that the US justice department will probably charge it as a hate crime. I'm too much a softie and feel sorry for these trapped idiots. They've got some serious epiphanies about to take place.

BeardoMSU
02-17-2014, 08:15 PM
1. a statue can't be killed or beaten for the color of it's skin
2. a person can
3. there are such things as "hate crimes"
4. this isn't rocket science

DLGDawg
02-17-2014, 08:24 PM
That place is unraveling fast!!!

Gen. Grant
02-17-2014, 08:34 PM
The truly do not forget the old times. I agree that the University of Mississippi and the Lost Cause symbols it continues to propagate are a huge embarrassment to OUR state. Mississippi State University has a history that all Mississippians can celebrate. Case in point, the Loyola v MSU game. They have a very nice exhibit about the game at the library right now. Y'all go see it.

Ole Miss will NEVER drop those Lost Cause symbols that celebrate the systematic violent oppression of humans. For that reason, they will continue to suffer from a bad image. I will never send or pay for my children to attend that university.

BeardoMSU
02-17-2014, 08:37 PM
The truly do not forget the old times. I agree that the University of Mississippi and the Lost Cause symbols it continues to propagate are a huge embarrassment to OUR state. Mississippi State University has a history that all Mississippians can celebrate. Case in point, the Loyola v MSU game. They have a very nice exhibit about the game at the library right now. Y'all go see it.

Ole Miss will NEVER drop those Lost Cause symbols that celebrate the systematic violent oppression of humans. For that reason, they will continue to suffer from a bad image. I will never send or pay for my children to attend that university.

Well said, General.

notsofarawaydawg
02-17-2014, 09:09 PM
This statement has to be a lie. "Assistant to the Chancellor for Multicultural Affairs Don Cole reiterated the creed that the university stands by. "This is particularly painful because the James Meredith statue has become a gathering place for students to discuss many things, including the tenets of our creed, which calls for dignity and respect for all people."

32 Dive
02-17-2014, 09:14 PM
In addition to the ongoing UPD investigation, the Ole Miss Alumni Association has offered a $25,000 reward for any information leading to the arrest of the two individuals involved in the incident.

Who will the recruit be, who turns in the perps on an official visit?

You know... For the "Reward"... [/WINK]

Cowbells
02-17-2014, 09:19 PM
I don't know how to post a pic, and really don't want to post this one, but here's a really strange thing..... Earlier today, before Ole Miss's announcement of the Meredith statue thing, someone posted a picture on Facebook of a young guy in camo with a noose around a black statue. A reporter over in the Delta has picked it up and is trying to get the kid to talk. Search twitter for justinmooreontv and you can see the picture. If you visit the kid's page, his background is Ole Miss, and he is from the Grenada area. Coincidence?

BeardoMSU
02-17-2014, 09:29 PM
Yup. Here it is. His twitter account is deleted.

edit: his twitter is not deleted.

https://twitter.com/ltillman95

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bgt5uPPIYAEdV0r.jpg

BeardoMSU
02-17-2014, 09:31 PM
And I forgot to add: **** this guy. I hope he get everything coming to him.

Bully13
02-17-2014, 09:36 PM
If he's from Grenada, C34 will have somehting to say about this...God help us all. just damn... how disgusting..

ScoobaDawg
02-17-2014, 09:37 PM
There is really nothing funny about this shit, guys. This WILL get national news, and the average person outside of Mississippi, will not see this as an Ole Miss issue, it will be a Mississippi issue, which impacts all of us.

EXACTLY. This is another reason why I will not call them by there racist nickname. Furthermore when I tell any person why I will not call them by that name, I tell them the story of what it means and how it used to have that exact story on their school website. I want anyone I meet in DFW to know the difference between UM and MSU and what WE, THE MISSISSIPPI STATE University stand for and the people of the state stand for.

This will be another easy target for any non-southern news show and newspaper to say how racist the people of Mississippi are. Sadly they all love to jump on something like this rather than point to any racist stories in their own communities.

Cowbells
02-17-2014, 09:37 PM
Yup. Here it is. His twitter account is deleted.

No his Twitter account is not deleted....

BeardoMSU
02-17-2014, 09:41 PM
See "edit", bells.

Cowbells
02-17-2014, 09:43 PM
See "edit", bells.

Yeah sorry, saw that after I posted mine.

bluelightstar
02-17-2014, 09:45 PM
That university is despicable

BeardoMSU
02-17-2014, 09:45 PM
no worries.

Coach34
02-17-2014, 09:47 PM
How ****ing stupid do you have to be to post that shit on Facebook or Twitter?

engie
02-17-2014, 09:55 PM
https://twitter.com/Seven_Ohs

Emmanuel McCray with some pretty profound thoughts on the way out...

Cowbells
02-17-2014, 09:55 PM
Just for clarification......the kid only posted the picture on Twitter, and at some point deleted it, but not before someone copied it. It was being posted on Facebook in an attempt to "out" the kid, which is where I saw it, posted by one of my friends. I actually know one of his friends that he tagged with it on twitter.....This picture will follow this kid the rest of his life.

MadisonDawg
02-17-2014, 09:56 PM
"As many black friends as I got y'all really think I'm racist" -@ltillman95 he's pretty stupid

BeardoMSU
02-17-2014, 10:07 PM
"I dont really voice my opinion on touchy subjects. But the ppl who did that are the same guys shaking our hands at the walk of champions."

Yeah, that's pretty profound. *******.

Coach34
02-17-2014, 10:07 PM
Yeah- the guy that did it is not justin Moore. He was a Sr at Grenada and got expelled over it "per sources"

Cowbells
02-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Justin Moore is a news reporter that has picked it up.

chef dixon
02-17-2014, 10:48 PM
This kid and the Ole Miss thing seem like unrelated incidents, no?

Coach34
02-17-2014, 10:57 PM
Only related in that Oxford and Grenada are basically the same town- one has a lake, the other a University that gives the State a black eye repeatedly

FlabLoser
02-17-2014, 10:57 PM
If Ole Miss people aren't involved, it's their old south culture that is a lightening rod for this shit. Ole Miss is toxic for the state of Mississippi.

I wish we could kick them out. At the very least, they should completely re-brand to stop embarrassing the whole state.

TheRef
02-17-2014, 11:25 PM
If Ole Miss people aren't involved, it's their old south culture that is a lightening rod for this shit. Ole Miss is toxic for the state of Mississippi.

I wish we could kick them out. At the very least, they should completely re-brand to stop embarrassing the whole state.

THIS and all of this. Can we have that be our new marketing campaign. "We aren't Ole Miss." and have photos of all the embarrassing crap they've done?

gtowndawg
02-17-2014, 11:45 PM
Was found with a noose around the neck and draped in a old Georgia flag on OM campus. 2 people dressed in camo pants fleeing the scene

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e375/nmwright4/olemissboard_zps33386570.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/user/nmwright4/media/olemissboard_zps33386570.jpg.html)

notsofarawaydawg
02-17-2014, 11:59 PM
What's sickening is all the white folk responding on his twitter account acting like they are so innocent. Same ole bitches who probably gave him a blo n go on recruiting weekend. I can't believe "knees" Yancy hasn't chimed in by now. Hughs just looking for a story.

esplanade91
02-18-2014, 12:06 AM

Unfortunately so. 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of the people who ask where I went to school say "Oh, that's Ole Miss right?"

Part of me laughs because they think they're elite, yet people don't know the difference between at least 15% of the SEC schools. The other part of me cringes because 1/2 of their fame is for horrible, horrible things, with the other 1/2 being the NFL's kind of int-o's went there.

RougeDawg
02-18-2014, 12:09 AM
And all these minority athletes just flock to this place because of the environment and atmosphere? Seriously how ****ing long does the Triple AAA (Ascot Association of America) think people and cruits will continue to bite on this bullshit?

Recruiting aside, one particular university continues to be a Black Eye for the state of Mississippi, when the rest of the state has been past this issue for decades. It is beyond me how they can keep that place open with repeated shit like this. I don't care who did this, but it's very ignorant either way. Nothing good comes of it. I hope they catch them, but it will not stop the next asshat up there from doing something similar. It's sad that these types of thoughts are introduced to the OM students once on campus in Lafayette Co.

Dawg61
02-18-2014, 04:42 AM
THIS and all of this. Can we have that be our new marketing campaign. "We aren't Ole Miss." and have photos of all the embarrassing crap they've done?

This is a hilarious idea. Anytime there fans chant "first down Oleeee Missss" we should all yell "we aren't Oleeee Misssss". Haha

Johnson85
02-18-2014, 08:56 AM
And I forgot to add: **** this guy. I hope he get everything coming to him.

I don't. The kid is obviously some combination of stupid and snot nosed. I don't have a problem with the fact that his world is about to be turned upside down now, but stupid/terrible young people often grow up to be if not world beaters, at least not stupid and not terrible. Not sure this kid is going to get that chance when this pops up in google everytime a potential employer googles him.

drunkernhelldawg
02-18-2014, 11:04 AM
I don't. The kid is obviously some combination of stupid and snot nosed. I don't have a problem with the fact that his world is about to be turned upside down now, but stupid/terrible young people often grow up to be if not world beaters, at least not stupid and not terrible. Not sure this kid is going to get that chance when this pops up in google everytime a potential employer googles him.

I totally agree. If our world were as unforgiving when I was younger as it is now, I'd be with Mose Allison, "Sittin' down here on Parchman Farm. What our system must do is not let politics be the overwhelming influence in the way the case is disposed.

Jack Lambert
02-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Wow. They can't stop stepping on their own dicks. It's just getting sad now

#GrenadaWithoutTheLake

I think you are giving them too much credit. You know how big it would have to be in order for them to step on it.

Johnson85
02-18-2014, 11:35 AM
I totally agree. If our world were as unforgiving when I was younger as it is now, I'd be with Mose Allison, "Sittin' down here on Parchman Farm. What our system must do is not let politics be the overwhelming influence in the way the case is disposed.

I don't know that we were ever more forgiving, but at least we were more 'forgetting'. I'm quite sure there would be a lot of pictures I would be very embarassed of had camera phones with an internet connection been omnipresent when I was in high school and college. I don't think there'd be anything that damning, but who knows what stupid shit we did while sitting around that would look terrible in the light of day.

I remember at least one time in college I saw a guy walking to the shower that had been cat-faced with all the usual things, plus a big swastika. I'm guessing his 'friends' were doing it to embarrass him and were not actually neonazis, but I'm not sure that would matter if they had taken pictures of it and put it online.

drunkernhelldawg
02-18-2014, 12:54 PM
I don't know that we were ever more forgiving, but at least we were more 'forgetting'. I'm quite sure there would be a lot of pictures I would be very embarassed of had camera phones with an internet connection been omnipresent when I was in high school and college. I don't think there'd be anything that damning, but who knows what stupid shit we did while sitting around that would look terrible in the light of day.

I remember at least one time in college I saw a guy walking to the shower that had been cat-faced with all the usual things, plus a big swastika. I'm guessing his 'friends' were doing it to embarrass him and were not actually neonazis, but I'm not sure that would matter if they had taken pictures of it and put it online.

I think you're right. We're more "forgetting". Less imagining, too.

drunkernhelldawg
02-18-2014, 02:22 PM
1. a statue can't be killed or beaten for the color of it's skin
2. a person can
3. there are such things as "hate crimes"
4. this isn't rocket science

Looks like it may be a hate crime.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20140218/NEWS01/302180015/Ole-Miss-James-Meredith-statue-vandalism-now-federal-investigation

BeardoMSU
02-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I guess it's being interpretted as a direct threat to Jame's life, or the life of any black person; I can see that.

Those dudes ****ed up.

drunkernhelldawg
02-18-2014, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I guess it's being interpretted as a direct threat to Jame's life, or the life of any black person; I can see that.

Those dudes ****ed up.

Unfortunately, those poor bastards are on the wrong side of history by careless accident. Hate the sentiment they expressed but still feel bad for them. They should have grown up last month and avoided this disaster.