PDA

View Full Version : Teheran extended

msstate7
02-16-2014, 10:37 PM
The braves have had an uneventful offseason, but I like these recent extensions. Supposedly Simmons is next.

http://www.talkingchop.com/2014/2/14/5411510/breaking-braves-julio-teheran-agree-to-six-year-extension

smootness
02-16-2014, 10:51 PM
The Kimbrel and Freeman extensions, in particular, are huge. Wren has done an incredible job this offseason.

msstate7
02-16-2014, 10:52 PM
The Kimbrel and Freeman extensions, in particular, are huge. Wren has done an incredible job this offseason.
I agree

Political Hack
02-16-2014, 10:56 PM
got to lock them in for the first season in the new stadium. they'll build to that and I wouldn't be shocked if they tried to bring in some even bigger names to fill seats going into that season.

smootness
02-16-2014, 11:20 PM
got to lock them in for the first season in the new stadium. they'll build to that and I wouldn't be shocked if they tried to bring in some even bigger names to fill seats going into that season.

I don't think we'll see that. The expectation of the new stadium is partly what is allowing Wren to spend a little, but this isn't Miami. Fans will show up, especially now that the stadium will be in a far better location. We don't need some gimmicks to get fans to show up...these moves are to keep this train moving in the right direction for the future. For a mid-market team, extensions like this are crucial. But if we had money to throw around, Heyward would have already been extended.

War Machine Dawg
02-16-2014, 11:55 PM
I don't think we'll see that. The expectation of the new stadium is partly what is allowing Wren to spend a little, but this isn't Miami. Fans will show up, especially now that the stadium will be in a far better location. We don't need some gimmicks to get fans to show up...these moves are to keep this train moving in the right direction for the future. For a mid-market team, extensions like this are crucial. But if we had money to throw around, Heyward would have already been extended.

Incorrect. J-Hey wanted waaaaayyyyyy more than we were willing to pay. His deal was a compromise to allow him to build toward free agency. Also, there was a good article a year or so ago detailing how J-Hey & Francouer's first 3 or 4 seasons with the Braves were pretty much identical. Even the numbers were almost the same. I don't think management sees J-Hey as a long term priority piece to build around, especially when we have Justin Upton. Don't be surprised to see the Braves let J-Hey walk in free agency after '15 and use his money to go get a better player.

War Machine Dawg
02-16-2014, 11:58 PM

I'm not a huge fan of the Kimbrel extension. Yes, he's been the best closer in MLB the last 3 seasons. But he's been ridden hard the whole time. Eventually he's going to have arm problems. 4 years is a long time to be paying a closer premium money. He might fulfill all of it no problem or his arm could fall off next July. Neither one would really surprise me.

smootness
02-17-2014, 12:01 AM
I would disagree a ton with that article. Francouer's biggest problem was Heyward's greatest asset...the ability to take a walk and get on base. Heyward's average has lagged some, but he's already a much better baseball player than Francouer ever was.

I do agree with you on his contract demands, though. I know he wants to hit FA, which is why we'd have to shell out to be able to sign him to a long-term deal. My point was just that the precise reason we're doing these extensions is because of budget restraints. We're not just throwing money around, these are great deals for the future of the franchise. We won't be signing a bunch of FAs. We will be locking up young talent while continuing to supplement that through the farm system.

smootness
02-17-2014, 12:05 AM
I love the Kimbrel extension. He's had the greatest seasons by a reliever in MLB history. Fredi needs to use him better, but he's been phenomenally important to our team. I don't foresee any arm problems. His innings have come down, and he still doesn't come close to a starter's innings. Guys like Wagner, Hoffman, Rivera, etc. have been ridden for years with no issues. He should be fine.