PDA

View Full Version : Ross Mitchell

Dallas_Dawg
02-16-2014, 05:59 PM
I wonder why he never gets to start games. He surely has the stamina to go deep into games as he went 8 innings on Friday night.
He is one our best pitchers so why can't we trot him out there on Friday nights and then have someone else set up for Holder.
Thoughts?

Rick Danko
02-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Not broke don't fix it... JMHO

TheRef
02-16-2014, 06:05 PM
It's also a mental thing. Not as much pressure if he's not starting, ya know?

Political Hack
02-16-2014, 06:18 PM
he's pitched better as a reliever than he has as a starter. also, forcing him to stay mentally sharp since he could have to run out the tunnel at any minute may be beneficial to him mentally as well.

Personally I like having him ready to come save one of our starters at any minute. That's a huge luxury that most teams don't have.

bully99
02-16-2014, 06:28 PM
For those who care, nc state opened their season Sunday and palmeiro's kid didn't play. First base was his for the taking, but I don't think he hit well in practice.
Oh and nc state ranked in the top ten and their ace Rodon lost to Canasius 3 0.

JohnnyQuid
02-16-2014, 06:39 PM
For those who care, nc state opened their season Sunday and palmeiro's kid didn't play. First base was his for the taking, but I don't think he hit well in practice.
Oh and nc state ranked in the top ten and their ace Rodon lost to Canasius 3 0.

Don't know alot about this so it kinda makes me curious, did his son have any interest in playing at State or no?

BeardoMSU
02-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Slim is way too valuable with what he provides coming out of the pen. Having a guy that can come in with bases loaded, and get us out with minimal harm, is invaluable. He was a huge part of why our bullpen was the best in the nation last year.

bully99
02-16-2014, 07:40 PM
State recruited palmeiro mostly as s courtesy to his parents. Don't think he was ever coming here.

The Croom Diaries
02-17-2014, 11:22 AM
I think Cohen and Thompson love how Ross is so much different than the starter. Pretty much all of them - there is no one like him. You put Woodruff, Hudson, Fitts, Bracewell, etc. out there to start, then put Ross in and the hitter has to change their approach. I think he could be a good starter for sure, but being able to go to him multiple times in a weekend is invaluable, especially with his knack for getting out of jams.

Goat Holder
02-17-2014, 11:26 AM
Real Deal was a starting pitcher in summer league a few years ago and his ERA was very high. He's just a middle reliever, and a perfect one at that.

Original48
02-17-2014, 11:51 AM
As Goat said, Ross is perfect for what he does. Usually comes in after a starter has been throwing in the 90s..opponent is then faced with Ross, all arms and legs throwing junk and placing an 80mph fastball. Then by the time they have seen him a couple of times, in trots Holder. That is beautifully cruel.

MzTerry
02-17-2014, 01:17 PM
That is beautifully cruel.

i like it