PDA

View Full Version : cedar paper

FlabLoser
02-15-2014, 07:16 PM
Long story short, I acquired some cedar paper. Its made for grilling.

I soaked the paper in white wine and marinated some salmon in olive oil, white wine, and some seafood seasoning. Oh, and I cut the skin off the salmon.

The cedar paper comes with string. So I rolled the salmon in the paper and tied it up. Its sitting out on the grill now with some burning apple chips.

Directions say you don't need to flip the fish once its wrapped up. I'm seeing different, so I flipped it. Maybe its half way done cooking now.

BTW the paper looks like it does a good job of sealing steam & stuff. Looks like the fish is kind of boiling/steaming under the paper.

I'll see how this goes shortly...

BeastMan
02-15-2014, 07:43 PM
That sounds awesome. Pics!!

FlabLoser
02-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Well, that was pretty cool. The cedar paper did an excellent job of sealing in moisture.

Down side is the fish didn't pickup up much smoke flavor due to being wrapped in paper and frankly, I can't tell the cedar did much to flavor the fish.

I could have done a better job with marinade and seasoning. What I did there was just an off-the-cuff thing.

But I'm impressed with cedar paper as a cooking method. I'll do this again and I won't be shy about what kind of fish I choose to grill. With this paper you aren't limited to grilling fish "on the half shell".

FISHDAWG
02-17-2014, 09:29 AM
I never really got the cedar thing either ... banana leaves actually work better for steaming fish ... steamed fish usually works better when serving it with a base, but if you're impatient and enjoy grill flavor like me - go straight to the fire

mjh94
02-26-2014, 04:40 PM
i've always ignored the "soaking" directions for planks and papers. let that shit burn a little bit to get the smoke infusion. you just have to tend to it to make sure it doesn't turn into a blaze ruining the meat.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Have y'all ever tried the cedar planks for grilling? If not, do yourself a favor and try it out. There's nothing like pulling off a charred piece of cedar with a big salmon filet sitting on top of it. Get you some of this!http://www.cedargrilling.com/art.htm