PDA

View Full Version : Pump the breaks

FlabLoser
02-14-2014, 09:55 PM
I swear I was gonna post this earlier in the week, then got busy with other stuff.

Pump the damn breaks on MSU Baseball.

I know we had a great year last year. But realize that team peaked at the perfect time. State fans talk like that peak is our new normal.

I'm not saying we're overrated. Just quit acting like Omaha is automatic. Or that we only need a little more to be national champs.

Skydawg1
02-14-2014, 10:08 PM
Damn..."breaks"? Seriously?

Pollodawg
02-14-2014, 10:10 PM
It's. One. Game. There is a shit ton of baseball left, folks. lol

bannedwayne
02-14-2014, 10:11 PM
I swear I was gonna post this earlier in the week, then got busy with other stuff.

I know we had a great year last year. But realize that team peaked at the perfect time. State fans talk like that peak is our new normal.

I'm not saying we're overrated. Just quit acting like Omaha is automatic. Or that we only need a little more to be national champs.

Couldn't agree more.

Last year was great - but remember we started slow and picked up steam at the perfect time.

Unreasonable expectations of perfection aren't good for anyone - fans, players or coaches.

That said, this wasn't the opener I expected.

Fader21
02-14-2014, 10:15 PM
Fire cohenz********

FlabLoser
02-14-2014, 10:15 PM
It's. One. Game. There is a shit ton of baseball left, folks. lol

Read the first sentence, champ.

Todd4State
02-14-2014, 10:41 PM
This is why you want to open with Hofstra and not a good mid major. I understand it's a weird situation.

That said, Woodruff disappointed me more than anything tonight. We'll be fine as a team- but that worries me. If he pitches like a SEC ace, we win period.

Saltydog
02-14-2014, 10:43 PM

bannedwayne
02-14-2014, 10:45 PM
This is why you want to open with Hofstra and not a good mid major. I understand it's a weird situation.

That said, Woodruff disappointed me more than anything tonight. We'll be fine as a team- but that worries me. If he pitches like a SEC ace, we win period.
He had one inning and only allowed 2 hits.

I'm disappointed, but not worried. He'll fall into a groove eventually. Nervesandshit.

Mitchell looked strong in relief though.

Pollodawg
02-14-2014, 10:47 PM
Read the first sentence, champ.

My bad. A few Bud Lights into the twilight here. lol I hate when people wig out after one game though. I now see that you weren't doing that.

shoeless joe
02-14-2014, 10:49 PM

Good post. We have a good team and this loss isn't gonna break our season. But to think our pitching and especially our offense is gonna be a slam dunk just because we went far last year isnt wise. We are gonna be relying on quite a few guys to step up this year that don't have much if any experience. Talent, yes...experience, no. Hopefully by league play some key young guys will be getting it done on a regular basis.

Intramural All-American
02-14-2014, 10:51 PM
I wouldn't be worried about woody if this was the first time. But this was what he did all last year. And it's not the 2 hits that bother me, it's the 3 walks and 1 HBP. The kid has great stuff, and I think he will pull it together, but it's definitely worrisome to see that.

Saltydog
02-14-2014, 10:52 PM
and I know there's a contingency out there that says we will have more overall power but I'm not seeing it. This team is built on pitching and defense and we'll only go as far as that takes us....

Dawgface
02-14-2014, 10:52 PM
It figures we would lose the first game after all the excitement though.

bannedwayne
02-14-2014, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't be worried about woody if this was the first time. But this was what he did all last year. And it's not the 2 hits that bother me, it's the 3 walks and 1 HBP. The kid has great stuff, and I think he will pull it together, but it's definitely worrisome to see that.

Agreed. It was weird to see that.

I have confidence that he'll pull it together though. First game of the season can be nervewracking.

msstate7
02-14-2014, 10:55 PM
He had one inning and only allowed 2 hits.

I'm disappointed, but not worried. He'll fall into a groove eventually. Nervesandshit.

Mitchell looked strong in relief though.

Walks and HBP will beat you just like hits. Ask Evan Mitchell...

bannedwayne
02-14-2014, 11:00 PM
Walks and HBP will beat you just like hits. Ask Evan Mitchell...

Agree, but I'm optimistically chalking that up to first-day jitters for now.

Bigedawg
02-14-2014, 11:00 PM
Wonder how Woodruff will do on Friday night in the Box with 12,000 drunk Cajuns giving him hell? Stuff is not an issue with him. It is all between the ears. After the hbp on an 0-2 count to the lead off hitter, he was not the same. Irregardless, with a lineup full of slap hitters you cannot have 12 punch outs. I thought with the last recruiting class that we would have a more physical lineup, but alas, we still have a lineup full of singles hitters who strike out a lot. It's just one game and Cohen swore in the post game that they were a top 25 team. Just a weird night. As Ron Polk says, that's baseball. Damn, damn, damn.

msstate7
02-14-2014, 11:08 PM
Wonder how Woodruff will do on Friday night in the Box with 12,000 drunk Cajuns giving him hell? Stuff is not an issue with him. It is all between the ears. After the hbp on an 0-2 count to the lead off hitter, he was not the same. Irregardless, with a lineup full of slap hitters you cannot have 12 punch outs. I thought with the last recruiting class that we would have a more physical lineup, but alas, we still have a lineup full of singles hitters who strike out a lot. It's just one game and Cohen swore in the post game that they were a top 25 team. Just a weird night. As Ron Polk says, that's baseball. Damn, damn, damn.
Exactly. I don't know if I'm more concerned that woodruff can't seem to answer the bell or that we sent him out there against wcu's best. Starting pitching was a huge weakness last year and to start like this is very disappointing IMO.

BhamDawg
02-15-2014, 09:23 AM
Damn..."breaks"? Seriously?

Whening!!!

Goat Holder
02-15-2014, 11:27 AM
I swear I was gonna post this earlier in the week, then got busy with other stuff..

Sure you were. Awful convenient for you, huh?

FlabLoser
02-15-2014, 01:40 PM
OK, Goat, the peak of last year is the new floor to be expected. Run with that.

Goat Holder
02-15-2014, 02:25 PM
I didn't quote that part of your post, therefore I wasn't addressing it.

War Machine Dawg
02-15-2014, 02:55 PM
OK, Goat, the peak of last year is the new floor to be expected. Run with that.

You should know better than to argue with Goat. There's a reason he's been banned multiple times from literally every MSU message board. Besides, bi-polars are always right as they argue both sides. I still have no clue how you guys haven't banned him already.

Goat Holder
02-15-2014, 03:19 PM
Deleted...you aren't worth it.

FlabLoser
02-15-2014, 06:42 PM
Deleted...you aren't worth it.

Good move.

Goat Holder
02-15-2014, 07:18 PM
LULZ

chef dixon
02-15-2014, 07:26 PM