PDA

View Full Version : Predicted SEC football standings

blacklistedbully
02-13-2014, 06:55 PM
Sorry if old News I missed, but how do y'all see things breaking out and why if you want to add it.

I am having a hard time justifying placing us lower with who we have coming back relative to the rest of the Division. I feel confident we'll finish ahead of Ole Miss, TAMU & UPig, but also can't see why we shouldn't beat a depleted LSU, a Bama losing their QB, and an Auburn team losing their top RB as well as other key pieces, and a team Mullen should have beaten 4 of 5 times already, with this one at home for us, and us perhaps fielding our best overall team in Mullen's term.

Yes, I know we rarely compete with Bama, almost never beat LSU since the 80's, and rarely win @ Ole Miss. But I also think it's more rare that we've had the advantage in starters returning, a perfect QB for our system and a DC that knows how to use personnel.

I know it sounds crazy based on our history, but I really feel like we should contend for the top spot this year. I'm gonna go out on a real limb here and say:

West
MSU
Bama
Auburn
LSU
Ole Miss
UPig
Tamu

East
UGA
SCar
Mizzou
UF
UT
UK
Vandy

blacklistedbully
02-13-2014, 10:05 PM
From Rivals. We get almost no respect whatsoever. They will be surprised this year.

2014 SEC West Reply
With the division looking so loaded, would love to get your thoughts on how it turns out. Real possibility that the teams beat each other up and knock tne teams out of the playoff. Got to be the hands down best division in the country.
BAMA- will be very talented but unproven in areas. Rb, wr and TE on offense will be absolutely loaded. Breaking in new QB. Defense I feel will be very good and top 5 again.
Aub- offense will be good and defense should be better. Marshall is very explosive and receivers are good. Rb will drop off a some losing mason. D line will be very good. Will still struggle at lb and secondary. Lose both kickers who were very good.
Lsu- Lsu is Lsu. Will be very talented and should be pretty nasty on defense. Rbs are good but will miss Hill. Wrs will take a hit losing two really good ones. QB could be big concern if bowl QB starts and doesn't improve a lot. All and all will be a tough out.
Ole miss- on tne rise and Freeze is doing great job. Return QB and defense should be better. Will be tough win for anybody
A&M- talented on offense still and defense should be better. Sumlin doing a great job.
Miss St- defense could be *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* best. Prescott coming back should give the offense a boost. No pushover
Arky- just dont know about them. Staff has a lot to prove this year. Gotta prove they belong.
2/10 10:36 PM | IP: Logged

aubie06
Post #14076
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
Re: 2014 SEC West Reply
I think every team except Arkansas goes bowling in 2014. It will be very cut-throat. Auburn & Alabama look to be the clear leaders. I think LSU drops off with all the losses, but just a little bit. I think Ole Miss gets a lot out of their insane 2013 recruiting class and finishes ahead of LSU. A & M will drop off without Manziel and Evans, but Sumlin is a great coach. Mississippi St. will likely reach bowl eligibility towards the end again. Arkansas looks like a disaster.

1) Auburn
2) Alabama
3) Ole Miss
4) LSU
5) Texas A & M
6) Mississippi St.
7) Arkansas

2/10 10:43 PM | IP: Logged

AlaskaGuy
UDUBNation.com
Post #14372
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
Auburn
LSU
Bama

and the rest of that division.

2/10 10:46 PM | IP: Logged

BZ4BAMA

TideSports.com
Post #2818
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
I agree 06. Not that aubs 1 but that 6 of the 7 go bowling. Not an easy game against any if those 6.
2/10 10:49 PM | IP: Logged

TigersattheZOU
Post #564

MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore

Have fun with that one fellas. The East isn't much easier, but it is easier
Torque = When you have to pee in the morning & you push your wee wee down & your feet fly out from under ya...... That is torque
2/10 10:53 PM | IP: Logged

Mizzou Monster
Post #1762
KCMO

MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
SEC West aka football hell.
photo mizzousig_zpsb0cdc45b.jpg
2/10 10:54 PM | IP: Logged

theagent39
Post #127
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
Bama - replaces several coaches including OC, QB, 2 or 3 OL, half DL, half LBs, CB and both safetys; woudln't be surprised if the 2014 team loses 3 or 4 games. If new unproven QB can't be a game manager, this could be a down you for the tide
Auburn - Will be as explosive on offense or better than 2013 team. I expect the RB position to show little to no drop off. Should add better passing game with both QBs going through spring for the first time. I expect the defense to make a big step forward and be one of the better defenses in the SEC. LB play will be much better and have depth for the first time in many years
LSU - Will in the middle of the hunt and with improved and gained experience play at QB should add extra dimension of running threat. Stable of RBs but WR could be a problem and huit young QB. Defense will be good but how good is to be determined by newcomers.
Ole Miss- needs a stud RB and QB has yet to show he is consistant during a game and one game to the next. Defense should show improvment but still not elite.
AM - New QB and offense won't be as explosive, Defense can't be any worse.
Miss St. - Minor bowl team, will win a game they shouldn't but lose a game they should win. At the end of the year, Miss St. will be Miss St. and a minor bowl team
Hogs - Better power runnning game but can QB provide the threat of a passing game to keep teams from loading the box? Defense can't be any worse can it?
2/10 11:00 PM | IP: Logged

olsonab
AuburnSports.com
Post #4359
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
This could be the most brutal year ever in the West and that's saying something when you've averaged 3-4 top ten teams a year for the last 4-5 years. I see 6 teams with 8+ wins within this monster division..
2/10 11:02 PM | IP: Logged

SECalafan
Post #262
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
Winner of Iron Bowl = winner of west. Very simple.

1. Winner of Iron Bowl
2. Loser of Iron Bowl
3. LSU
4. Ole Miss
5. TAMU
6. Miss St.
7. Arky

2/10 11:21 PM | IP: Logged

Justin1993
Post #15311
Satsuma, Alabama
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
1. Bama (homer)
2. Auburn
3. LSU
4. Ole Miss
5. Texas A&M
6. Mississippi State
7. Arkansas

Bama - we lose a lot, but could still be considered favorites against everyone on our schedule. People like to focus on what a team loses, but it's all about what talent they have coming back, and Bama has plenty of it

Auburn - returns a lot and should improve on defense. I just don't see them having as much luck this year. Teams also know what to expect when facing that offense this time around

LSU - loaded with talent just like Alabama is. Their offense will struggle early losing the talent they had at QB/RB/WR. But the defense should be ferocious and the offense will come along during the year. They've got some instant impact freshman coming in at WR and RB.

Ole Miss - their young talent should be coming around this year. I just don't have that much confidence in Bo Wallace getting them over the hump

A&M - it's going to take more than one year to fix that defense. Offense will face an adjustment period without Manziel or Evans. They will however have one of the best WR tandems in the country with two freshman in Ricky Seals-Jones and Speedy Noil.

MSU - That young QB is going to be a good one. They're still way behind the rest of the division talent wise

Arkansas - Their defense is also going to take a while to get back to respectable. On offense they will probably be a little better than last year. They're going to need better play out of the QB/WR/TE/ positions if they want to compete in the SEC west though.

2/10 11:21 PM | IP: Logged

ygrec
Post #7215
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
The way the "experts" will predict because they can't help themselves:

Bama
Barn
Old Lady
LSU
Miss St
aTm
Arky

The way it'll end up:

LSU
Barn
Bama
aTm
Old Lady
Miss St.
Arky

... because last year was the exception for LSU WRT its offense as 2013 was heavily dependent on QB making lots of vertical passes. Cam Cameron's style is more of a West Coast type offense that is run-heavy with TEs and RBs and WRs taking lots of passes on the edges and over the middle. That's what LSU will show in Year 2 under Cam. So our QB situation will be just fine, RBs are stacked like cordwood (Magee is not a dropoff from Hill), and Dural will provide experience at WR for a young but extremely talented corp. All that behind the most experienced OL in the West. Defense was very young last year and finally came together late, signaling the usual great D in 2014. After the opener vs Wisky, I see only one tough game before Bama, that's Barn six games into the season, giving our QB lots of time to get in a groove.

As for Barn, I'm still not convinced ... as the only Malzahn offense that has beaten Les is the one Superman QB'd, and I'm sorry but Marshall ain't no Cam Newton. Their D is suspect until proven otherwise. And we won't try a 75-yd FG late either, and even if we did, we know how to cover kicks.

Bama will lose a lot. Including 4 yrs of experience at QB, which in the Bama offense is critical. They lose a lot on the OL too. And D too.

Old Lady ... well, by next year the shine will be off that rose, so aTm will finish 4th because Sumlin is for real, Manziel or no Manziel. State and Arky still bring up the rear until they show us all something more.
2/11 12:40 AM | IP: Logged

CFB_Fanatic
Post #7126

MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore

1. Arkansas

Big Gap

2-7) Everyone else.

No homer

2/11 1:47 AM | IP: Logged

TigersattheZOU
Post #583

MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore

In all honesty I have really hated trying to pick this division for a long time now.

Goin with LSU this season
Torque = When you have to pee in the morning & you push your wee wee down & your feet fly out from under ya...... That is torque
2/11 3:39 AM | IP: Logged

BZ4BAMA

TideSports.com
Post #2820
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
Ygrec nobody will pick Lsu to win it because of all you lost on offense. And if your QB is the one that played in the bowl game then your QB play will not be fine. Kid was very average. Jordan Jefferson part 2. I agree on your offensive line and rbs being good. Defense should be pretty nasty as well. O will look a lot like the 09-10 version. Run heavy with lots of play action. Lsu could easily win the division. BAMA has some pieces that will nave to come together fir sure. Lots of talent there but unproven. It will come down to the 3 way series of Lsu at aub, BAMA at Lsu and aub at BAMA. Each could easily lose on tne road. The kicker will be not getting upset somewhere else along the way.
2/11 9:25 AM | IP: Logged

Justin1993
Post #15312
Satsuma, Alabama
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
Ygrec could you give us a breakdown of LSU's defense?

Here's what I gather looking at the depth chart.

You bring back a solid amount at the DE spot and they should be strong. I don't expect them to be at Mingo/Mongtomery level play though.

DT is a spot where LSU could struggle. Especially against running teams like Alabama, Wisconson, Arkansas, and Auburn. YOu lost both starters to the draft as juniors. This means you'll have to develop the talent behind it quickly. You guys didn't display a future star at this spot like you have for the past couple years. What I mean is everyone knew Ferguson and Johnson were going to be good when they were freshman and sophomores, you didn't have that young guy in 2013.

At LB Barrow and Jones are tough loses. Welter simply isn't that good. You do have some young talent though in Alexander, Deon Jones, and Lamar Louis. We'll have to wait and see how much they develop.

Both CB and Safety spots should be fine for you guys. The corners will have another year in the system. Loston graduated but Micah Eugene should be ready to step up along with Martin. Once again, I don't think any of these guys are Eric Reid good, but they'll be solid players. T. White is probably the most dangerous player in your secondary even though he is just a true sophomore.

Overall I see this defense coming together and playing well. It'll struggle at times but for most of the season opposing offenses will have trouble moving the ball.

What are your thoughts? Where am I right and where am I completely wrong?

2/11 9:54 AM | IP: Logged

1995_StateChamps
Post #11086
Houston, Texas
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
1. Auburn
2. Alabama
3. Ole Miss
4. LSU
5. A&M
6. Miss St
7. Arkansas

A&M would not have been .500 this year without Manziel
2/11 9:55 AM | IP: Logged

Diego Roll Tide
TideSports.com
Post #34659
Florence, AL
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
Injuries will be HUGE. AU, Bama, and LSU all have the goods to win it as well as potential flaws. I think the loss to OU will help Bama. AU will be wearing a big target this year. LSU could slide under the radar, and if the defense is improved they could well pull it off. As long as Bo Wallace is QB in Oxford, I have no confidence in Ole Miss winning anything of significance. For the rest, an 8-win season should be cause for major celebration.
Diego Laissez les bon TIDE rouler!
2/11 10:02 AM | IP: Logged

Tidergirl

Post #3579
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore

Originally posted by SECalafan:
Winner of Iron Bowl = winner of west. Very simple.

1. Winner of Iron Bowl
2. Loser of Iron Bowl
3. LSU
4. Ole Miss
5. TAMU
6. Miss St.
7. Arky

This look right...
2/11 10:02 AM | IP: Logged

dmacforheisman
Post #4309
Cabot, Arkansas
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
Originally posted by Justin1993:
1. Bama (homer)
2. Auburn
3. LSU
4. Ole Miss
5. Texas A&M
6. Mississippi State
7. Arkansas

Bama - we lose a lot, but could still be considered favorites against everyone on our schedule. People like to focus on what a team loses, but it's all about what talent they have coming back, and Bama has plenty of it

Auburn - returns a lot and should improve on defense. I just don't see them having as much luck this year. Teams also know what to expect when facing that offense this time around

LSU - loaded with talent just like Alabama is. Their offense will struggle early losing the talent they had at QB/RB/WR. But the defense should be ferocious and the offense will come along during the year. They've got some instant impact freshman coming in at WR and RB.

Ole Miss - their young talent should be coming around this year. I just don't have that much confidence in Bo Wallace getting them over the hump

A&M - it's going to take more than one year to fix that defense. Offense will face an adjustment period without Manziel or Evans. They will however have one of the best WR tandems in the country with two freshman in Ricky Seals-Jones and Speedy Noil.

MSU - That young QB is going to be a good one. They're still way behind the rest of the division talent wise

Arkansas - Their defense is also going to take a while to get back to respectable. On offense they will probably be a little better than last year. They're going to need better play out of the QB/WR/TE/ positions if they want to compete in the SEC west though.
Why do we need better play out of the TE position? Hunter Henry was one of our only bright spots last year lol

Im not expecting much until 2015, but i do want to see some improvement. Our running game and OL should be excellent, but QB play is a question mark. Brandon Allen actually didn't play that bad against LSU after his shoulder was 100%, but im still not sure if he's the answer. Hate that we start off with Auburn or else we could use some cupcake games for a real QB competition. Our DL should be solid again but LBs and secondary are still going to take a few more years to get the talent in there.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
2/11 12:50 PM | IP: Logged

Justin1993
Post #15314
Satsuma, Alabama
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore

Originally posted by dmacforheisman:

Why do we need better play out of the TE position? Hunter Henry was one of our only bright spots last year lol

Im not expecting much until 2015, but i do want to see some improvement. Our running game and OL should be excellent, but QB play is a question mark. Brandon Allen actually didn't play that bad against LSU after his shoulder was 100%, but im still not sure if he's the answer. Hate that we start off with Auburn or else we could use some cupcake games for a real QB competition. Our DL should be solid again but LBs and secondary are still going to take a few more years to get the talent in there.

I guess I should have worded that as Arkansas needs more out of it's passing game. Henry is a good player, but it's definitely going to take more than just him. Your running game will be solid, but teams are going to stack the box and you have to be able to back them up.

Arkansas will come around and be a solid team once Beliema gets some talent in there as upperclassmen, and not just freshman.

2/11 1:45 PM | IP: Logged

AnotherVoice
Post #43788
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore

I think some of you are being a bit rough on Bo Wallace. As a sophomore he threw 17 interceptions and made far too many horrible decisions during games... but last season he only threw 9 interceptions and cut way down on the dumb decisions. If he improves between now and next season as much as he did between his sophomore and junior seasons, Ole Miss will be in very good hands... plus their schedule is good for them with Alabama and Auburn playing in Oxford. LSU is on the road, but it really doesn't matter where UM and LSU play... it's always a battle.

photo EVILGRIN_zps79ae56aa.png
2/11 2:57 PM | IP: Logged

Reason_01
Post #7432
Little Rock
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
Our challenge is to win one conference game this year. Baby steps!! :)
Treat others as you want to be treated.
2/11 3:00 PM | IP: Logged

LSUdude3756
Post #694
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore

Originally posted by AnotherVoice:

I think some of you are being a bit rough on Bo Wallace. As a sophomore he threw 17 interceptions and made far too many horrible decisions during games... but last season he only threw 9 interceptions and cut way down on the dumb decisions. If he improves between now and next season as much as he did between his sophomore and junior seasons, Ole Miss will be in very good hands... plus their schedule is good for them with Alabama and Auburn playing in Oxford. LSU is on the road, but it really doesn't matter where UM and LSU play... it's always a battle.

I thought you were an LSU fan now? Going back to Ole Miss?
2/11 3:18 PM | IP: Logged

longtimebully

BulldogBlitz.com
Post #3717
Tupelo, MS
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
Just guessing
1)Alabama
2)Auburn
3)LSU
4)Egg Bowl winner-MSU or Ole Miss
5)Egg Bowl loser- same as 4
6)Texas A&M (hard to predict without Manziel, could be higher)
7)Arkansas
2/11 9:45 PM | IP: Logged

blacklistedbully
Post #6383
MyFanPage
Find Buddy
Re: 2014 SEC West Edit | Reply

Originally posted by ygrec:

Bama
Barn
Old Lady
LSU
Miss St
aTm
Arky

The way it'll end up:

LSU
Barn
Bama
aTm
Old Lady
Miss St.
Arky

... because last year was the exception for LSU WRT its offense as 2013 was heavily dependent on QB making lots of vertical passes. Cam Cameron's style is more of a West Coast type offense that is run-heavy with TEs and RBs and WRs taking lots of passes on the edges and over the middle. That's what LSU will show in Year 2 under Cam. So our QB situation will be just fine, RBs are stacked like cordwood (Magee is not a dropoff from Hill), and Dural will provide experience at WR for a young but extremely talented corp. All that behind the most experienced OL in the West. Defense was very young last year and finally came together late, signaling the usual great D in 2014. After the opener vs Wisky, I see only one tough game before Bama, that's Barn six games into the season, giving our QB lots of time to get in a groove.

As for Barn, I'm still not convinced ... as the only Malzahn offense that has beaten Les is the one Superman QB'd, and I'm sorry but Marshall ain't no Cam Newton. Their D is suspect until proven otherwise. And we won't try a 75-yd FG late either, and even if we did, we know how to cover kicks.

Bama will lose a lot. Including 4 yrs of experience at QB, which in the Bama offense is critical. They lose a lot on the OL too. And D too.

Old Lady ... well, by next year the shine will be off that rose, so aTm will finish 4th because Sumlin is for real, Manziel or no Manziel. State and Arky still bring up the rear until they show us all something more.
Dude, you need to check your facts.

MSU has finished 4th & 5th the past 2 years, and looks to have one of our better teams this coming year. MSU is getting better in a year where Bama & Auburn lose some key pieces, and LSU & TAMU suffer major losses.
trophy 1
2/11 9:55 PM | IP: Logged

SECRul...otball
Post #2179

MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
I don't know if I see auburn winning the div.
2/11 10:58 PM | IP: Logged

AnotherVoice
Post #43799
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore

Originally posted by LSUdude3756:

For the zillionth time, I have always been a fan of both.

But what does that have to do with me commenting in a thread about any topic? Do you ever comment in any thread other than LSU threads?

photo EVILGRIN_zps79ae56aa.png
2/11 11:43 PM | IP: Logged

ygrec
Post #7230
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore

Originally posted by BZ4BAMA:
Ygrec nobody will pick Lsu to win it because of all you lost on offense. And if your QB is the one that played in the bowl game then your QB play will not be fine. Kid was very average. Jordan Jefferson part 2. I agree on your offensive line and rbs being good. Defense should be pretty nasty as well. O will look a lot like the 09-10 version. Run heavy with lots of play action. Lsu could easily win the division. BAMA has some pieces that will nave to come together fir sure. Lots of talent there but unproven. It will come down to the 3 way series of Lsu at aub, BAMA at Lsu and aub at BAMA. Each could easily lose on tne road. The kicker will be not getting upset somewhere else along the way.

You could be right. I just don't think our losses on offense are as bad as lots of people are making it out to be.

Our OL returns almost intact and I'm sort of old school, everything starts and ends on the LOS. I'd rather have a veteran OL and a rookie QB than the opposite. But even when you look at the losses, I'm not that concerned. Hill was very good but I think if Hill would have gotten injured in, say, Game 2, everybody today would be talking about Terrance Magee. Magee is a damned good RB and with Kenny Hilliard (who started games in the past) as backup, IMO we're OK there. Plus Fournette, if as good as the hype, could be running 1st team pretty quick. We did lose JC Copeland at FB and he was a beast (wish he'd have held onto the ball a bit more ), but Neighbors is not much a dropoff and he started 3 or so games. That brings us down to WR, and yes losing Beckham and Landry is gonna hurt. They are a couple of fantastic players. But Travin Dural -- somebody nobody knows beyond being the receiver on the game-winning TD pass from Jennings vs Arky -- is a Beckham type player. He just got caught up on the depth chart behind those two great receivers. The other WR and slot receiver will require somebody new to step up for sure.

So offensively, I don't think LSU fans have a lot to worry about for 2014. And don't think Jennings is a lock at QB. He was #2 behind Mett because I think the coaches know the #2 guy doesn't get a lot of reps and if Mett went down, they would want a mobile guy out there. Jennings was the guy. But I would not be surprised if LSU starts a guy called Hayden Rettig (out of California) vs Wisconsin. He is a pocket passer with an arm like Mett, threw for a million yards and TDs in HS. We'll see. Even true frosh Brandon Harris might see the field during that 5-game stretch between Wisky and Barn.
2/11 11:47 PM | IP: Logged

ygrec
Post #7231
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore

Ygrec could you give us a breakdown of LSU's defense?

Here's what I gather looking at the depth chart.

You bring back a solid amount at the DE spot and they should be strong. I don't expect them to be at Mingo/Mongtomery level play though.

DT is a spot where LSU could struggle. Especially against running teams like Alabama, Wisconson, Arkansas, and Auburn. YOu lost both starters to the draft as juniors. This means you'll have to develop the talent behind it quickly. You guys didn't display a future star at this spot like you have for the past couple years. What I mean is everyone knew Ferguson and Johnson were going to be good when they were freshman and sophomores, you didn't have that young guy in 2013.

At LB Barrow and Jones are tough loses. Welter simply isn't that good. You do have some young talent though in Alexander, Deon Jones, and Lamar Louis. We'll have to wait and see how much they develop.

Both CB and Safety spots should be fine for you guys. The corners will have another year in the system. Loston graduated but Micah Eugene should be ready to step up along with Martin. Once again, I don't think any of these guys are Eric Reid good, but they'll be solid players. T. White is probably the most dangerous player in your secondary even though he is just a true sophomore.

Overall I see this defense coming together and playing well. It'll struggle at times but for most of the season opposing offenses will have trouble moving the ball.

What are your thoughts? Where am I right and where am I completely wrong?

Except for your DT assessment, I wouldn't change much of what you said, Justin.

I do think LaCoutre is Ego or Freak compatible. He was a true freshman last season but when he was in there, he was a real run stuffer type. He's got that attitude you want in a DT, down and dirty (not rules-wise but just mean), and he has SEC size. And Thomas was the #4 guy behind Ego, Freak, and LaCoutre -- lots of experience returning. Plus there were a couple of guys who will be either RSFR or Sophs that I think have the talent but just needed time to get used to the speed and violence of the game -- Bain and Gilmore (both 6-4 and 310ish). And I think Valentine and TreyL will provide excellent depth as frosh.

As for LB, your assessment of Welter is correct. He's not as talented as all the rest of the LBs we've gotten, especially in that 2012 recruiting class. But Welter is one of those guys that just gets tackles. Somebody might displace him this season at starter, maybe even this freshman Garrett from Illinois. Garrett is likewise a tackling machine, and he has more natural talent than Welter. The rest of the LBs I think will shine, especially that Bama guy Alexander ...
2/12 12:00 AM | IP: Logged

ygrec
Post #7232
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore

Originally posted by blacklistedbully:

Bama
Barn
Old Lady
LSU
Miss St
aTm
Arky

The way it'll end up:

LSU
Barn
Bama
aTm
Old Lady
Miss St.
Arky

MSU has finished 4th & 5th the past 2 years, and looks to have one of our better teams this coming year. MSU is getting better in a year where Bama & Auburn lose some key pieces, and LSU & TAMU suffer major losses.

I stand corrected on "history" but I think the teams I have above MSU have all gotten better, talent-wise the last few years. IMO the SEC and particularly the West requires pure raw talent to really compete, and as much as I respect and admire Mullen, I think his recruiting has fallen off. His teams will always be a tough out. Look at 2011 when LSU slobberknocked every team they played not named Bama ... except for State. We won by two scores but it was mostly defensive dominance (lots of sacks, two INTs) and TOs. Mullen teams are always tough. I just think other teams are passing MSU by with new talent.
2/12 12:09 AM | IP: Logged

Ex2500
Post #1074

MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
My picks....

1. Alabama
2. LSU
3. Auburn
4. Ole Miss
5. Texas A&M
6. Arkansas
7. Miss St.
2/12 7:33 AM | IP: Logged

Spa Ci...zorpig
HawgSports.com
Post #4734
Hot Springs, Arkansas
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore

Originally posted by CFB_Fanatic:

1. Arkansas

Big Gap

2-7) Everyone else.

No homer

Exactly
Photobucket
2/12 9:09 AM | IP: Logged

Reason_01
Post #7440
Little Rock
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
It is our 4 star offensive lines against your 4 star defensive lines. If we win 70% we win the battle of trenches and control the game. That is what I am hoping for.
Treat others as you want to be treated.
2/12 10:29 AM | IP: Logged

blacklistedbully
Post #6384
MyFanPage
Find Buddy

Originally posted by blacklistedbully:

Bama
Barn
Old Lady
LSU
Miss St
aTm
Arky

The way it'll end up:

LSU
Barn
Bama
aTm
Old Lady
Miss St.
Arky

I stand corrected on "history" but I think the teams I have above MSU have all gotten better, talent-wise the last few years. IMO the SEC and particularly the West requires pure raw talent to really compete, and as much as I respect and admire Mullen, I think his recruiting has fallen off. His teams will always be a tough out. Look at 2011 when LSU slobberknocked every team they played not named Bama ... except for State. We won by two scores but it was mostly defensive dominance (lots of sacks, two INTs) and TOs. Mullen teams are always tough. I just think other teams are passing MSU by with new talent.
ESPN had a good article recently about MSU & Mullen's recruiting strategy. He has said, and it is proven that our staff does not look at recruiting stars, or even recruit the way most SEC teams do, Our staff looks especially for under-the-radar guys who are actually less polished or known, but have reputations for being hard workers, and appear to have just started to hit their stride in physical development. We prefer to take guys that aren't quite ready, but who's growth curve has been above other, more higher-rated players according to recruiting sites. We like to red-shirt them and develop them.

If you look at the guys we have put into the NFL since Mullen became coach, this claim is supported. Guys like Johnthan Banks, Darius Slay, KJ Wright, Vick Ballard, Arceto Clark, Josh Boyd, etc. We seem to put 2 and 3 star guys into the NFL a lot more frequently under Mullen.

And if you look just at Ole Miss, they are always ranked higher than us by the recruiting services, yet we've owned them under Mullen. They follow the Orgeron "Meat Market" strategy of offering damn near every 5-star player in the country, hoping something will stick.

The Bamas. LSUs, etc, etc get the 5-stars that are also high-character, hard-workers, etc. They don't have to compromise in any area, as they can pretty much pick & choose from the best, High risk guys don't get taken by the blue-bloods when they can get 5-stars that aren't high-risk. So with Ole Miss, they will often take those guys, the one's that have the perceived 5-star talent, but are also often head-cases, prima-donnas, or have the kind of excess baggage that keeps the blue-bloods from going at them hard. That's why Ole Miss seems to swing & miss on so many of them, often finding their highly-rated classes downgraded significantly in the years following.

That's partly why it's hard for us to routinely beat the Bamas and LSUs, but not Ole Miss. The former get talent and character, the latter too often take perceived talent over character. Certainly there are exceptions for both sides, but by & large, I think this is accurate.
trophy 1
2/12 2:05 PM | IP: Logged

LSUdude3756
Post #697
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore

Originally posted by AnotherVoice:

Originally posted by LSUdude3756:

But what does that have to do with me commenting in a thread about any topic? Do you ever comment in any thread other than LSU threads?

Calm down big guy just poking fun at you. Yes, I do comment in other threads as well but, unlike you, do not have to put my opinion in every single thread.
2/12 2:07 PM | IP: Logged

ygrec
Post #7239
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
Hey, blacklistedbully, I like your passion, and I can appreciate the analysis re: starred talent. Mullen definitely gets the most out of the level of talent he gets. That's why I'm glad he's been able to hang in there in Starkville despite not producing all of the W's I'm sure the administration would rather see. As for the prognostications on the SEC West, I very well could have State all wrong. That's the fun of the offseason, though, we get the opportunity to paint ourselves into corners with our mouths.
2/12 3:01 PM | IP: Logged

blacklistedbully
Post #6387
MyFanPage
Find Buddy

Hey, blacklistedbully, I like your passion, and I can appreciate the analysis re: starred talent. Mullen definitely gets the most out of the level of talent he gets. That's why I'm glad he's been able to hang in there in Starkville despite not producing all of the W's I'm sure the administration would rather see. As for the prognostications on the SEC West, I very well could have State all wrong. That's the fun of the offseason, though, we get the opportunity to paint ourselves into corners with our mouths.
It's a lot harder to produce a ton of w's when you play 4 or 5 teams in the Top 15 every year who have much, much higher athletic budgets, more depth, etc. And playing that schedule can and does take a lot out of your athletes for other games. Teams with depth can handle it better, and that's an area where we've been typically far behind the Bams, LSU, Auburns.

But this year is looking different. We do seem to have more depth than we've had in a long time to go along with one of the most experienced teams coming back.

While it's almost never easy to beat Bama, LSU, Auburn or a Manziel-led TAMU, this coming year looks like it sets up better than any year I can remember in a very long time. We also look pretty solid in that regard for the following year.
This post was edited on 2/13 2:06 PM by blacklistedbully
trophy 1
2/13 2:04 PM | IP: Logged

badboy783

Post #12016
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
Don't think anyone will escape that division without a loss.

LSU
Auburn
Alabama
Who Cares.

2/13 3:02 PM | IP: Logged

One67

Post #4255
Fourchon.LA
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
LSU's DEs will be SOLID. Rasco and Hunter will be one of the top set of starting DEs in the SEC. Hunter will SUPRISE many this year.

DT is the major question on that side of the ball. Lacoture is the #1 guy there. Need some of the second year guys to turn it up a notch this year. If Valentine shows up in shape with the right attitude he could see the field early.

T Jones hardly saw the field last year. Welter needs to elevate his game. He started every game at MLB last year but really wasn't a difference maker except for a couple of games. Needs to show marked improvement in the spring. Kwon is the man. D Jones and Louis have a chance to make major statements in the spring.

Eugene is no longer at LSU. He along with a couple other DBs transfered out to Southeastern LA for the spring semester. Mills, (one of the starting CBs last year) moved to safety during the arky game and also started there for the bowl. He will remain there at least for the spring. The other saftey spot will be a battle royal. Thompson, Jefferson, Martin all have starting experience plus LSU is bringing in the #1 group of safety recruits in the country for '14.

Going into spring the only question for the LSU "D" is at DT. Tiger DEs and secondary are upper tier SEC quality. LBs all have three years plus in the system and major games experience.

As for the OP.

#1 LSU/bama. AGAIN

#3 auburn. They had a great year last year. Never gave up and earned every win. It's just that there were what 5-6 wins that were by just one score. Maybe they don't get the breaks this year. Three of those Ws were on auburns last touch of the ball. Two of the three were on once in a lifetime type plays.

#4 ole miss. freeze has them playing inspired ball. Solid starting 22, needs more SEC quality depth.

#5 a&m. We'll see this year if it was coach or player responsible for aggies marginal success last two years. If the "D" doesn't improve they will never be big winners in the SEC.

#6 state. Mullen will deliver another tough physical product that will result in a bowl game.

#7 hawgs. Someone has to finish here. Until BB does something in fayetville this is where the hawgs will reside.

2/13 9:08 PM | IP: Logged

cb20476
AuburnSports.com
Post #13939
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore

#1 LSU/bama. AGAIN

#3 auburn. They had a great year last year. Never gave up and earned every win. It's just that there were what 5-6 wins that were by just one score. Maybe they don't get the breaks this year. Three of those Ws were on auburns last touch of the ball. Two of the three were on once in a lifetime type plays.

2010 LSU had 6 wins by one score. 2011 they won the SEC and played for the NC.

Auburn is not a declining team. They'll be better in 2014 than they were in 2013. On both sides of the ball.
Radiohead Pictures, Images and Photos
2/13 9:17 PM | IP: Logged

sanction
Post #5286
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore

Actually NO.
Thats not what you said at the time. Remember the Black
Bear deal?

If it works for you now then ok.

But, just no.
2/13 9:28 PM | IP: Logged

electricreb

Post #2617
Liberty
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
1) Alabama, too much talent across the board.
2) Auburn. I doubt they have the luck of last season. Everything bounced right for them.
3) Ole Miss. We return almost our entire Defense. When healthy they were very good. But the Rebs will go as Bo goes. His are was not healthy last year because he never properly rehabbed after surgery. By seasons end he was having trouble making even mid length throws. He still passed for over 3500 with a bad arm. If he gets his arm back in shape. He could have a very big year.
4) LSU. Hard to really know what to expect from the LSU offense. losing their best RB and two best WR's, not to mention their starting QB will be hard to overcome. Their Defense should be improved but Offense should take a step of two back.
5)A&M. Offense will take a big step back. Defense will not be very good.
6)MSU. Another week schedule will assure another bowl. But will lose to all teams listed above.
7)Arkansas. How long will Pig fans put up with this?
2/13 9:30 PM | IP: Logged

blacklistedbully
Post #6391
MyFanPage
Find Buddy

Originally posted by electricreb:

6)MSU. Another week schedule will assure another bowl. But will lose to all teams listed above.

You mean like we did to Ole Miss last year and 4 of the last 5? Oh wait, it was Ole Miss that lost this past year and 4 of the last 5.
trophy 1
2/13 9:48 PM | IP: Logged

stewar...512rtr
Post #1620
God Bless Nick Saban
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
Alabama
Ole miss
LSU
A&M
auburn/arkansas
Miss st

Political Hack
02-13-2014, 10:21 PM
Bama's coaching staff is ridiculous and they will have a few new wrinkles. They WILL NOT lose to auburn again.

LSU's offense will run the ball as well as anyone in the league next year. JC will always have a formidable defense with those athletes. They seriously have a legitimate Heismam dark horse as a true freshman RB and their QB can scramble, throw, and run.

I actually think us and OM could be playing for third in the league.

Auburn plays both MS schools on the road and SC and UGA from the East.

A&M loses it's two best offensive players and had the worst defense in the league.

Hogs... not ready yet.