PDA

View Full Version : State offers Minshew

bully99
02-13-2014, 06:27 PM
Cole Minshew offensive guard from Georgia.

Coach34
02-13-2014, 06:41 PM
we need him more than the kid from Brandon

Dawg61
02-13-2014, 07:34 PM
You weren't impressed with his video? I am. Kid has great touch.

justwin
02-13-2014, 08:20 PM
good for Cole. I was hoping it was the Brandon QB as he's legit.

HancockCountyDog
02-13-2014, 08:22 PM
we need him more than the kid from Brandon

I swear the Minshew recruitment feels like d?j? vu. I hope Mullen has learned his lesson.

MafiaDawg
02-13-2014, 09:50 PM
Kinda like little favre. A 3 year starter who has now become a household name in the state.

HancockCountyDog
02-13-2014, 09:51 PM
Kinda like little favre. A 3 year starter who has now become a household name in the state.

I was thinking of someone taller.

MSUDawg4Life
02-13-2014, 10:54 PM
I definitely think we can afford to be a little selective at QB this year. We just need one guy and there are several good options out there.

engie
02-13-2014, 10:59 PM
I think J'Mar Smith is target #1 for us, while Minshew is probably #5 or 6 -- which is unfortunate in a way -- he/his family are HUGE State fans...

Dawg61
02-13-2014, 11:02 PM
What is not to like?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QaRIN7WEOZ8

Political Hack
02-13-2014, 11:14 PM
this kid can break a defense down at the snap about as well as I've seen a high school player do His height and his overall arm strength are going to be his only question marks.

I'd like to know how many picks he threw last year too, but the kid looks damn good.

I usually agree with Engie on damn near everything recruiting wise, but I can't see this guy being that low on the board.

engie
02-13-2014, 11:18 PM
What is not to like?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QaRIN7WEOZ8

You tell me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dif0yccrU54

engie
02-13-2014, 11:25 PM
this kid can break a defense down at the snap about as well as I've seen a high school player do His height and his overall arm strength are going to be his only question marks.

I'd like to know how many picks he threw last year too, but the kid looks damn good.

I usually agree with Engie on damn near everything recruiting wise, but I can't see this guy being that low on the board.

What is the realistic board at this point? Seeing how we have offered J'Mar and not him yet, it's safe to say he's behind him. We offered 7 2015 QBs already -- none named Minshew.

He's a distant relative of mine -- and I'd love to see him at MSU -- but I just don't see him being the QB that we take in this class. Got good enough grades to go to MSU on full academic scholarship and walk on if that's where his heart lies to that extent. Otherwise, he will have a lot of non-BCS offers and may end up eventually getting 1 or 2 of those as well...

Dawg61
02-13-2014, 11:28 PM
Wow I like them both. Smith has quicks that's for sure. He looks like a nightmare to tackle when he tucks and runs.

Coach34
02-13-2014, 11:28 PM
He better be a good size dual threat QB. I don't see us bringing in any more Tyler Russell's with Mullen here

Political Hack
02-13-2014, 11:47 PM
What is the realistic board at this point? Seeing how we have offered J'Mar and not him yet, it's safe to say he's behind him. We offered 7 2015 QBs already -- none named Minshew.

He's a distant relative of mine -- and I'd love to see him at MSU -- but I just don't see him being the QB that we take in this class. Got good enough grades to go to MSU on full academic scholarship and walk on if that's where his heart lies to that extent. Otherwise, he will have a lot of non-BCS offers and may end up eventually getting 1 or 2 of those as well...

I think he comes to camp and if he shows he has the arm strength (big if), he'll shoot up the board. The kid has all the intangibles you want to see in a QB... but like I said, his arm strength will be the deciding factor IMO.

ETA: I expect our QB board to change a lot more than normal at this juncture with Les gone and having new blood there.

hacker
02-13-2014, 11:53 PM
I was thinking of someone taller.

who?

Dawg61
02-14-2014, 12:18 AM
This just in, Ole miss has offered Cole Minshew.

justwin
02-14-2014, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that about him. I do hope he ends up at MSU. He moves pretty well in his video and usually all you have to do is give it to one of our highly recruited RBs when you need some rushing yards.

justwin
02-14-2014, 05:03 PM
agree

Wow I like them both. Smith has quicks that's for sure. He looks like a nightmare to tackle when he tucks and runs.

justwin
02-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Yeah, it sucks that the best passing QB MSU has ever had just walked out the door and they didn't give him any kind of help with a legit power RB despite several on the roster the last two years. Said differently, I hope they don't recruit any more scat RBs to run between the tackles as that was the problem the last two years. The 3Q of the Ark game was probably the best our offense looked all year with JRob and Russell in terms of a balanced threat. Man, we wasted Russell and should've never redshirted him.

He better be a good size dual threat QB. I don't see us bringing in any more Tyler Russell's with Mullen here

justwin
02-14-2014, 05:10 PM
All true. Those throws he made @ DNF in the video did look good.

I think he comes to camp and if he shows he has the arm strength (big if), he'll shoot up the board. The kid has all the intangibles you want to see in a QB... but like I said, his arm strength will be the deciding factor IMO.

ETA: I expect our QB board to change a lot more than normal at this juncture with Les gone and having new blood there.

BeastMan
02-14-2014, 05:16 PM

Fortunately, 3rdAnd57 has you covered in my 2015 recruiting mega post. I'd suggest bookmarking it b/c it will undergo updates all year long (http://3rdand57.com/msu-recruiting-2015-mega-post/) with the next set of updates coming Sunday. Anyway, here is our current QB board (offers) in no particular order:

QB

Brett Rypien (4-star) 6?2 175 Spokane, WA

Dwayne Lawson (4-star) 6?5 205 Tampa, FL

Jonas Spivey (4-star) 6?2 185 Bay Springs, MS

Chason Virgil (3-star) Mesquite, TX 6?2 179

Anthony Ratliff (3-star) 6?1 195 Matthews, NC

J?Mar Smith(3-star) 6?2 215 Meridian, MS

When engie said 5 or 6, he was actually being generous. As far as having a great shot at, he's a bit higher than 5 or 6.

ETA- I have every position done just like this one. Much more work will be done on it to make it an awesome tool for recruiting fans

bully99
02-14-2014, 05:23 PM
State offered Randall Cunningham Jr. last fall. Qb out of Vegas

Political Hack
02-14-2014, 06:40 PM
Fortunately, 3rdAnd57 has you covered in my 2015 recruiting mega post. I'd suggest bookmarking it b/c it will undergo updates all year long (http://3rdand57.com/msu-recruiting-2015-mega-post/) with the next set of updates coming Sunday. Anyway, here is our current QB board (offers) in no particular order:

QB

Brett Rypien (4-star) 6?2 175 Spokane, WA

Dwayne Lawson (4-star) 6?5 205 Tampa, FL

Jonas Spivey (4-star) 6?2 185 Bay Springs, MS

Chason Virgil (3-star) Mesquite, TX 6?2 179

Anthony Ratliff (3-star) 6?1 195 Matthews, NC

When engie said 5 or 6, he was actually being generous. As far as having a great shot at, he's a bit higher than 5 or 6.

ETA- I have every position done just like this one. Much more work will be done on it to make it an awesome tool for recruiting fans

the kid is better than Smith IMO and I think it'll show sooner rather than later. Unless he just can't get any zip on the ball to the outside parts of the field, I dont see how Smith is rated above him. Then again, I thought O'Korn was better than Cord, Liggins, Favre, Williams, Buchanan, Schuesslar, and about a dozen more QBs we've went after the last few years and most people disagreed with that too.

Dawg61
02-14-2014, 06:47 PM
Thanks BeastMan! I added it as a bookmark. Good stuff.

whosyourdawgy
02-14-2014, 07:02 PM
Who is a huge MSU fan? The Minshew's? Not really Engie. The dad played at Millsaps, the mom went to MSU for a bit. Gardner Minshew is wide open on his college choice. I would love to have him in maroon and think we may miss out on a great one if we don't offer him. His football iq is thru the roof, he's put on some lbs and is I heard about 220 now and about 6'2. He works really hard and is going to be a helluva starting qb for some college one day. Only thing that keeps him from MSU board is he is not a dual threat. He is a pro style qb and going to be a very good one.

Todd4State
02-14-2014, 07:29 PM
If it were me, I would offer Minshew and possibly take two QB's. At this point, we don't know if Damian Williams will play his entire career at MSU, and we don't know if Staley will stick with football or go to basketball full time at some point, and we don't know if Fitzgerald will play QB or get moved to another position at some point. Plus the two freshmen QB's could also transfer at some point as well. We don't know what the future holds. And it seems like we get caught with our pants down regarding QB's more often than most schools.

That said, I would see if Minshew would possibly gray shirt or walk-on first, but if they wanted a scholarship, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I agree with Hack in that he may be a camp offer and they want to see how much he improves his arm strength and if he can bulk up and run a little bit- he doesn't have to be blazing fast, he can be physical like Relf was- he may very well earn himself an offer at camp.

But my top two QB's would be J'Mar Smith and Minshew at this point.

Personally, I really value a high football IQ in a QB moreso than just raw athleticsm. Compare the careers of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning to Michael Vick and Randall Cunningham.

justwin
02-14-2014, 09:19 PM
nailed it. At some point, the MSU offense is going to have to evolve to a point where we allow a polished QB be the distributor of the ball and quit trying to be the best RB in the backfield. Smith and Minshew's videos are equally impressive and it sounds odd that those two aren't the top 2 on the MSU board.

Who is a huge MSU fan? The Minshew's? Not really Engie. The dad played at Millsaps, the mom went to MSU for a bit. Gardner Minshew is wide open on his college choice. I would love to have him in maroon and think we may miss out on a great one if we don't offer him. His football iq is thru the roof, he's put on some lbs and is I heard about 220 now and about 6'2. He works really hard and is going to be a helluva starting qb for some college one day. Only thing that keeps him from MSU board is he is not a dual threat. He is a pro style qb and going to be a very good one.

justwin
02-14-2014, 09:23 PM
Dam, I really hope Mullen is seeing it the way you are. But you're right...running QBs don't have a long life. Relf was pretty good for about 10 games during his last 2.5 years, but running as much as he did took a toll. Then, you look at how we run Tyler in game 1 and he gets knocked out not to mention running his vs KY again. Then, Dak missed 3 games being the exclusive runner. Fortunately, Dak is becoming a good enough passer and QB to where he can be smart enough to let other take/give the running punishment. Either way, I'm flabbergasted to think that Minshew is marginal scholarship player. That dude deserves a scholly offer immediately if he doesn't already have one. If Hampton could enroll early out of Meridian, no reason he couldn't either ya know.

If it were me, I would offer Minshew and possibly take two QB's. At this point, we don't know if Damian Williams will play his entire career at MSU, and we don't know if Staley will stick with football or go to basketball full time at some point, and we don't know if Fitzgerald will play QB or get moved to another position at some point. Plus the two freshmen QB's could also transfer at some point as well. We don't know what the future holds. And it seems like we get caught with our pants down regarding QB's more often than most schools.

That said, I would see if Minshew would possibly gray shirt or walk-on first, but if they wanted a scholarship, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I agree with Hack in that he may be a camp offer and they want to see how much he improves his arm strength and if he can bulk up and run a little bit- he doesn't have to be blazing fast, he can be physical like Relf was- he may very well earn himself an offer at camp.

But my top two QB's would be J'Mar Smith and Minshew at this point.

Personally, I really value a high football IQ in a QB moreso than just raw athleticsm. Compare the careers of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning to Michael Vick and Randall Cunningham.

Coach34
02-14-2014, 09:36 PM
Any QB we sign better be able to handle 10 carries or more per game

We may offer Minshew- but he is down the list. We want a QB than can move- pro style doesnt fit what we do

Political Hack
02-14-2014, 10:48 PM
Any QB we sign better be able to handle 10 carries or more per game

We may offer Minshew- but he is down the list. We want a QB than can move- pro style doesnt fit what we do

he's 220 now and can run. Considering him a pro style QB just because he's a great passer is misguided. He's actually better on roll outs and when he's on the move than when he;s in the pocket. I don't know who labelled him a "pro style" QB, but he's not a pure pocket passer type by any means.

Coach34
02-14-2014, 11:01 PM
Well if we have indeed offered 6 QB's and none of them are him- he's damn sure not high on our list

We're looking for athletic QB's that can throw- not pro-style QB's that can move a little

Political Hack
02-14-2014, 11:03 PM
Well if we have indeed offered 6 QB's and none of them are him- he's damn sure not high on our list

We're looking for athletic QB's that can throw- not pro-style QB's that can move a little

I'm just telling you what's going to happen.... not what's already happened.

Political Hack
02-14-2014, 11:13 PM
Also,

Brett Rypien... not coming here. (pro style by the way)

Dwayne Lawson.... not coming here. (also pro style)

Chason Virgil.... not coming here.

Anthony Ratliff... not coming here.

Jonas Spivey... could easily end up at State, as an athlete but he won't play QB.

That's why I addressed Smith. He's the only other legit QB that we may bring in this year IMO, and I think he's the 2nd best QB int he state based on what I've seen.

Coach34
02-14-2014, 11:21 PM
According to Maxpreps- Minshew had 31 carries for 129 yards last season

DO NOT WANT

shit, Russell ran more than that

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/gardner-minshew/hFuMVfTtEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

Has nothing to do with Minshew except that he doesnt fit the offense

Political Hack
02-14-2014, 11:23 PM
According to Maxpreps- Minshew had 31 carries for 129 yards last season

DO NOT WANT

shit, Russell ran more than that

I can tell you that you haven't looked at his film.

K9 Avenger
02-14-2014, 11:23 PM
Minshew doesn't have the arm strength period and anyone not named Brad Peterson knows it. He's just not an SEC QB at this point.

Coach34
02-14-2014, 11:25 PM
I can tell you that you haven't looked at his film.

31 carries- 129 yards doesnt lie

If a QB doesnt get 500 yards in HS- he doesnt belong in our offense

Political Hack
02-14-2014, 11:27 PM
forming an opinion on someone's talent level based on the offense they run in a high school system is stupid. sorry.

Political Hack
02-14-2014, 11:28 PM
Minshew doesn't have the arm strength period and anyone not named Brad Peterson knows it. He's just not an SEC QB at this point.

if he can't show arm strength at camp, he's done and I'll agree.

Coach34
02-14-2014, 11:31 PM
forming an opinion on someone's talent level based on the offense they run in a high school system is stupid. sorry.

I can assure you if he was a weapon as a runner- Brandon would be using him that way

DO NOT WANT

And neither does Mullen at this point

Todd4State
02-14-2014, 11:38 PM
In addition to his arm strength, I am in full agreement that Minshew needs to work on his running. I bet he knows that though.

The thing is, I think our offense works better the less we run the QB. I'm not saying we should abandon the option or QB running at all- just that we shouldn't run the QB 20-25 times a game. I'm thinking more like 12 times on average is reasonable. And that's the amount that we ran the option in the Liberty Bowl unofficially with my re-watching the Liberty Bowl.

Our QB using his arm to make plays opens up the run plays for him.

Political Hack
02-14-2014, 11:53 PM
I'd sacrifice 5 QB keepers a game for someone who can disect a defense at the snap in a heartbeat.

Minshew can move well. Much, much better than a Tyler Russel. He actually reminds me of a bigger Tyson Lee in how he moves.

Coach34
02-15-2014, 12:27 AM
In addition to his arm strength, I am in full agreement that Minshew needs to work on his running. I bet he knows that though.

The thing is, I think our offense works better the less we run the QB. I'm not saying we should abandon the option or QB running at all- just that we shouldn't run the QB 20-25 times a game. I'm thinking more like 12 times on average is reasonable. And that's the amount that we ran the option in the Liberty Bowl unofficially with my re-watching the Liberty Bowl.

Our QB using his arm to make plays opens up the run plays for him.

Our best 2 games offensively were A&M and Rice

vs Rice- Prescott had 14 carries for 78 yards in 3 Quarters
vs A&M- Prescott had 16 carries for 154 yards
Prescott played 1 Quarter vs Ole Miss and had 9 carries

Whether you like it or not, whether you want it or not- that is what works for our system. And our system is not for a guy like Minshew- it's for guys like Prescott, Staley, Fitzgerald, etc...

defiantdog
02-15-2014, 01:01 AM

Whether you like it or not, whether you want it or not- that is what works for our system. And our system is not for a guy like Minshew- it's for guys like Prescott, Staley, Fitzgerald, etc...

I'm a big Minshew fan, but Coach is right here.... he would fail in our system. We need a qb that doubles as a rb. This guy is our best bet for 2015 -- http://247sports.com/Player/JMar-Smith-21494 -- hopefully we'll redshirt Staley so he can learn the system and bulk up some.

Todd4State
02-15-2014, 02:52 AM

And compare that to how many times Dak ran the ball against Auburn. Which was 20 something carries. I do need to clarify- when I say 12 or so carries, I'm not including scrambles and things like that. I'm talking about plays where the QB is going to more than likely take a shot- like an option play, QB draw, etc. 14 carries is about in line with what I am talking about. The A&M game, Prescott got knocked out as we know.

Like I said- I'm not saying our QB shouldn't run at all. It's not about what I do or don't like. I'm saying we have to be able to pass the ball to run the offense at the highest level that we can. Unless you have Tim Tebow you can't run it over and over again 20 times with a QB. It's not any different than when we ran JJ Johnson and wore him out- other than the fact the QB is obviously more important. The fact of the matter is we've had QB injuries two out of the past three years with Relf in 2011 and then last year we lost both Dak and Tyler for parts of last season.

The other thing about Minshew- I don't see why he couldn't bulk up and get his body to where he could run our system. If he is 220 as he allegedly is per this thread, he's already getting close to Dak's size as it is. So, it would be the player adjusting his game to fit the system rather than Dan adjusting the system to fit the player in that regard.

But back to the Liberty Bowl and Dak in those other games- Dak is a good passer that is improving. And because Dak is able to do both well it really opens everything else up. We're able to get Bear and Jameon involved, we're able to get Josh involved. And it also opens up the running game for Dak and makes it a little bit easier on him as well.

Political Hack
02-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Can smith handle the pounding in the SEC?

I feel like y'all are focused on flash rather than production. I'll gladly take a 220 lb Minshew grinding it out five yards a pop over a slash and burner type at QB that we won't want to run through the middle of the line.

And minshew can run. Anyone who watches his film can see that he can move. Quoting a stat line without taking two minutes to watch the film is ignorant.

Coach34
02-15-2014, 11:23 AM
Look, I'm sure Minshew is a good kid and a good QB- I havent watched any film. But you dont teach a kid that doesnt run in HS to run in college. He just doesnt fit what we're doing. Just like an AJ McCarron wouldnt fit.

And Todd- I dont want the QB getting 20 carries either. I definitely want to tone it down to 12-13 carries per game or so- but think about this: Nick Marshall at Auburn ran the ball 40 more times than Prescott did last year. The running QB is what makes these offenses go because of the numbers advantage in the box. It's got to happen.

hacker
02-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Mark me down as someone who's watched the Minshew film who thinks he looks plenty quick enough to run our offense. His film is incredible. He's gotta be at least as fast as Relf with 10 times the intangibles.

SallyStansbury
02-15-2014, 12:35 PM
I think this is an interesting discussion. I think coach is 100% correct that whether or not we want it, like it, etc....that is what we are going to get....Dak running the ball a lot.

I think Todd is 100% correct that there is a high probability of Dak/Relf/Fitz/Staley getting his ass kicked in this type of offense. We have seen that happen already.

What I worry about is Hevesy and Mullen chest bumping one another saying, "Dak can get us that x yrds.......run him again!" Make it or break it time, for better or worse, that is where Mullen goes. That is what he does and his success or failure is determined on whether he has a Dak or a Tebow that can make him look good. Thanks to Dan's good recruiting we have Dak and a couple of other good ones lined up behind him. But that doesn't mean we couldn't be better still like Todd is saying if we keep defenses off balance by mixing in some misdirection and passing plays.

Coach you are a basketball fan, do you recall our Stans offense where he would go "small" and have 4 guys standing around the perimeter against some Bullshit lower tier opponent. We would hit a few threes, have limited success early in the year..........then we reach SEC play and a UGA forward extends the D, punches Rayvern in the mouth, and Rick Stansbury had no answer..........none. I don't want Mullen to fall into this same hard headed category with his arms crossed, Saban stacks the box on 1st and 10, Robinson up the middle for gain of .5 yrds, you know the drill, glassy eyed look of anger......"Run Dak more!" That isn't the answer.....that is doubling down on stubborn/stupid. I think that is a tendency of Dan and it worries me. To have Hevesy on the headset going, "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, do it, we are tough!!!!" troubles me too. Maybe it will work out? I hope it does.

Coach34
02-15-2014, 12:53 PM
But see, that's the thing with Mullen- he doesn't just pound it like he needs to- that's why #RTGDF was born. Mullen gets too cute and too pass happy at times.

Go watch Dakota's post game interview after the Egg Bowl. Mullen was going to call a pass and Dakota changed his mind and told him he wanted to run the ball right behind his guys upfront

You don't want to teach a kid to run the football in college. You don't want to get Minshew to practice to see if he can handle running it up inside between the tackles. Hell, even Russell ran for 300 yards his Sr year. And all I heard was "Russell is a serviceable runner"....and as we found out- no he wasnt

DO NOT WANT

Todd4State
02-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Look, I'm sure Minshew is a good kid and a good QB- I havent watched any film. But you dont teach a kid that doesnt run in HS to run in college. He just doesnt fit what we're doing. Just like an AJ McCarron wouldnt fit.

And Todd- I dont want the QB getting 20 carries either. I definitely want to tone it down to 12-13 carries per game or so- but think about this: Nick Marshall at Auburn ran the ball 40 more times than Prescott did last year. The running QB is what makes these offenses go because of the numbers advantage in the box. It's got to happen.

Yeah- but Marshall played in three more games than Dak. I would have been surprised if he had fewer carries than Dak based on that alone not to mention the fact that Dak split time with Russell at times during the season. 3 games divided by 40 carries = 13.something carries. And then I'm fairly sure that Auburn runs more plays than us as well.

Auburn is also very diverse with their offense and then they have the tempo to go with it.

Brad Stevens
02-15-2014, 01:06 PM
But see, that's the thing with Mullen- he doesn't just pound it like he needs to- that's why #RTGDF was born. Mullen gets too cute and too pass happy at times.

Go watch Dakota's post game interview after the Egg Bowl. Mullen was going to call a pass and Dakota changed his mind and told him he wanted to run the ball right behind his guys upfront

You don't want to teach a kid to run the football in college. You don't want to get Minshew to practice to see if he can handle running it up inside between the tackles. Hell, even Russell ran for 300 yards his Sr year. And all I heard was "Russell is a serviceable runner"....and as we found out- no he wasnt

DO NOT WANT

Coach, I understand your hesitancy about the kid, and as for now, I agree. I was on the sideline for every Brandon game this year except two I think. That being said, at times, Minshew looked like a future all-American and at times, he looked completely out-of-sync. The good thing is, by the time he graduates, he will be a 3 year starter at the highest level of football in Mississippi. He is a very smart kid. He comes from a great, humble family. And he can definitely run. He runs way better than Tyler Russell -- not even close. He doesn't cut much -- he runs more in the style of Damian Williams. The bad thing for him is we have the best qb situation we may have ever had over the next few years. If this was mid-2000s, I think he would be a shoe-in for a scholarship. It is entirely in the realm of possibility that he has all kinds of offers mid-season depending on how much he improves. As with the Rick Ray situation, I will withhold judgment on him for now. I would not be opposed to having him as a 5th option on our roster, but we will see.

Political Hack
02-15-2014, 01:10 PM

good thing we passed on Bret Favre since he had terrible passin numbers in high school. that dude couldn't throw worth a damn.

Political Hack
02-15-2014, 01:11 PM
Coach, I understand your hesitancy about the kid, and as for now, I agree. I was on the sideline for every Brandon game this year except two I think. That being said, at times, Minshew looked like a future all-American and at times, he looked completely out-of-sync. The good thing is, by the time he graduates, he will be a 3 year starter at the highest level of football in Mississippi. He is a very smart kid. He comes from a great, humble family. And he can definitely run. He runs way better than Tyler Russell -- not even close. He doesn't cut much -- he runs more in the style of Damian Williams. The bad thing for him is we have the best qb situation we may have ever had over the next few years. If this was mid-2000s, I think he would be a shoe-in for a scholarship. It is entirely in the realm of possibility that he has all kinds of offers mid-season depending on how much he improves. As with the Rick Ray situation, I will withhold judgment on him for now. I would not be opposed to having him as a 5th option on our roster, but we will see.

you can tell he has plenty enough athleticism to run the read option as well as anyone we've had take a snap at QB since Dan's been here... minus Dak.

mic
02-15-2014, 01:21 PM
Im guessing Minshew wont be in our top 2 of choices .. If we miss out on other targets and get him that is great. But Im not sure we take more than 1 QB in this class. For the first time since I can remember our QB situation looks very good for the next 3 or 4 years.. Looks like it win be a win / win if we get him or not..

Todd4State
02-15-2014, 01:22 PM
good thing we passed on Bret Favre since he had terrible passin numbers in high school. that dude couldn't throw worth a damn.

I do hope that Peterson gives him a chance to run more his senior year. That would help Minshew out one way or the other. And if we do choose to take Minshew it would help our coaches out too.

All of this is moot until June when the camps start.

hacker
02-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Yeah- but Marshall played in three more games than Dak. I would have been surprised if he had fewer carries than Dak based on that alone not to mention the fact that Dak split time with Russell at times during the season. 3 games divided by 40 carries = 13.something carries. And then I'm fairly sure that Auburn runs more plays than us as well.

Auburn is also very diverse with their offense and then they have the tempo to go with it.

I think they had almost the exact same # of snaps this year.

hacker
02-15-2014, 02:17 PM
I'm gonna do Coach's work for him

http://gifsforum.com/gif_generator/gif_created/7a587b0aa22d3acf494db0ec60ae89d3.gif?1392491776932

Political Hack
02-15-2014, 02:21 PM
that guy can RTGDF.

hacker
02-15-2014, 02:25 PM
http://gifsforum.com/gif_generator/gif_created/4bad53679ec0e06344f0436ff20e6eb4.gif?1392492251518

hacker
02-15-2014, 02:34 PM
I have a theory that his running stats are pretty low because he finds the open man on the run a lot.

http://gifsforum.com/gif_generator/gif_created/c4185f5a661c73785a90da94ddbe2ded.gif?1392492685695
http://gifsforum.com/gif_generator/gif_created/268f3961896b658bf5374d86e47977f3.gif?1392492855061

hacker
02-15-2014, 02:35 PM
Sorry for the shitty quality, I just used a web converter.

This kid is super impressive.

HancockCountyDog
02-15-2014, 03:06 PM
Sorry for the shitty quality, I just used a web converter.

This kid is super impressive.

He isn't built to take a pounding by SEC defenses. Great kid - probably great family - I would think we would have learned our lesson on signing an instate kid that doesn't fit Dan's offense. I sure as hell hope we have.

Whoever is our QB must be a run first QB.

Personally, I think this thread is pointless - also, why have a thread up pointing out how an in-state kid at one of our few pipeline schools doesn't fit our offense. Lets just leave it the **** alone. Also, lets win a baseball game today.

Political Hack
02-15-2014, 03:57 PM
he fits. fans think we need a runner or dual threat to make the offense work.

we don't. we need someone who can read a defense immediately and exploit the weaknesses and mismatches they give us. That's what the read option is. Taking what the defense doesn't take away. If they let a 220 lb QB have a 5 yard head start, I'll take that every time.

Making assumptions about a kids limits based on the high school system they play in is a massive mistake. it's bush league. Writing off a kid before he even goes to camp is ridiculously presumptuous and stupid as well.

Coach34
02-15-2014, 04:02 PM
No- we need a runner to make it work

Political Hack
02-15-2014, 04:03 PM
Alex Smith a run first QB?

Coach34
02-15-2014, 04:03 PM
Hack- you scream bush league and stupid all you want...we've offered 6 other kids- but not him. He;s our 7th choice at best right now

Coach34
02-15-2014, 04:04 PM
Alex Smith averaged 12 carries per game at QB under Meyer/Mullen

Political Hack
02-15-2014, 04:06 PM
QB coaches changed. The board will change too. We can offer John Elway a scholarship. If he ain't coming, it doesn't matter.

The question about minshew is his arm strength though. Not his athleticism or ability to run the read option. I'm more than willing to admit that if he can't show he can make all the throws at camp, he's not going to get an offer unless we miss on a lot of people. That's his holdup... not his legs.

Political Hack
02-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Alex Smith averaged 12 carries per game at QB under Meyer/Mullen

Russell averaged 5+ this year when healthy and should've averaged less than one. Doesnt mean he should've been running it. Also, it doesn't matter what they average per game. Matters how effectively they can run the whole offense. Ranking QBs based on their success running one play is absurd.

If the kid can make all the throws, he's got what it takes to be the complete package. Running and throwing.

bully99
02-15-2014, 04:12 PM
I think the kid is somewhere between the extremes on this board.

Coach34
02-15-2014, 04:22 PM
Hack and I fight about QB's all time. He used to think Russell was our best option at QB too until Dakota made it obvious for
Him. He'll see the light eventually

hacker
02-15-2014, 05:25 PM
damn, what happened to my gifs?

hacker
02-15-2014, 05:42 PM
ok, since my previous gifs disappeared, let me try this again.

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/2-15-2014/4UMXxm.gif
http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/2-15-2014/KO0ga2.gif

it's not like he's a statue, he's always making plays on the run like this:
http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/2-15-2014/0A1kMa.gif
http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/2-15-2014/wnHdjg.gif

Coach34
02-15-2014, 06:45 PM
SEC football is a different animal...look at footage of Russell in HS- he looked like a decent runner also.

defiantdog
02-15-2014, 07:12 PM
Here is State's board for QB's in the 2015 class:

1. J'Mar Smith - offered, DUAL 3*
2. Chason Virgil - offered, DUAL 4*
3. Brett Rypien - offered, PRO 4*
4. Anthony Ratliff - offered, DUAL 3*
5. Dwayne Lawson - offered, PRO 4*
6. Austin King - not offered, DUAL N/A
7. Blake Hawkins - not offered, PRO 3*
8. Gardner Minshew - not offered, PRO 3*

So far that's the list, we've offered "2" PRO style QBs and there's a 0% chance we get them.... I like Gardner Minshew and would like to have him receive an offer. But I don't see it happening because he really doesn't fit our system. He's a PRO style QB that can scramble. We need running QB's that can throw.

defiantdog
02-15-2014, 07:26 PM
QBs under Dan Mullen:

Josh Harris (Bowling Green): averaged 722 rushing yards per year.
Alex Smith (Utah): had over 1,000 yards rushing in his Junior & Senior year with 15 rushing touchdowns
Chris Leak (Florida): was in Mullen's system for one year (doesn't count)
Tim Tebow (Florida): nearly 3,000 yards rushing with 57 rushing TD's while at Florida
Chris Relf (MSU): was actually a more productive passer then rusher.... in three seasons, he had just over 1,500 yards rushing with 9 rushing td's
Dak Prescott (MSU): 829 rushing and 13 rushing TD's in 2013

In other words, Mullen has always used the QB as an extra rusher.

SPMT
02-15-2014, 07:40 PM
Mullen can't coach a pro style qb. This has been proven. Leak was an anomaly.

Coach34
02-15-2014, 08:09 PM
They also made Leak share time with Tebow because Leak hated to run

Political Hack
02-15-2014, 08:17 PM
They also made Leak share time with Tebow because Leak hated to run

God forbid we win a Natty.

Coach34
02-15-2014, 09:45 PM
God forbid we win a Natty.

because they had a running QB to help them...and a nastyass D

Bully13
02-15-2014, 09:48 PM
until someone not named Hevesy takes charge of OL recruitment, we will need a QB that is fleet of foot. period. once Tyler makes a NFL roster maybe some people here will realize that.

Coach34
02-15-2014, 10:23 PM
once Tyler makes a NFL roster maybe some people here will realize that.

You dont really believe that do you?

Political Hack
02-15-2014, 11:17 PM
because they had a running QB to help them...and a nastyass D

and Meyer and Dan and Harvin and Demps and the killer TE.

1) Minshew can run so the argument is moot to begin with.
2) being a "run first" QB isn't a necessity in this system despite fans' preferences.

Bully13
02-15-2014, 11:21 PM
You dont really believe that do you?

I think a healthy Tyler could indeed make a NFL roster. He has to be in a system that allows that extra 1.5 seconds in the pocket that requires a competent OL. Tyler never had a chance in our system with an OL that did not have the ability to create a pocket for a pocket passer. sumbitch could thread the needle when he had an extra second.

I seen it dawg
02-15-2014, 11:25 PM
I think a healthy Tyler could indeed make a NFL roster. He has to be in a system that allows that extra 1.5 seconds in the pocket that requires a competent OL. Tyler never had a chance in our system with an OL that did not have the ability to create a pocket for a pocket passer. sumbitch could thread the needle when he had an extra second.
Tyler is an outstanding human being and role model. He is not an NFL QB.

Coach34
02-15-2014, 11:51 PM
Tyler is an outstanding human being and role model. He is not an NFL QB.

What he said

Russell is a good Bulldog- but he won't be making a roster come Sept