PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up on Cheap Reels

BeastMan
02-13-2014, 04:37 PM
I just bought a Shimano Sahara 3000FE (msrp $89.99) for $64 factory sealed from Ebay. I looked at a bunch of reels and there are some steals like the one I got on there. Just make sure the seller has a stellar rating and has moved a lot of product via ebay and you're good.

After I got my stradic for Christmas, I've been wanting to add one more new reel to the arsenal. The sahara is a slight step down from the stradic but is a really nice reel that will last for years for me. One thing I noticed on ebay was they had a bunch of Shimano Sonora's brand new for 34.99 (msrp $49.99). It's their low end saltwater reel. If you take care of it, it will do fine and for $35 bucks, it's a total steal. I almost bought one of those as well and still might... If you're a baller, I saw some cheap, relatively speaking, Stella's on there.

RossDawg82
02-13-2014, 05:22 PM
I have a 4000 stradic that just sits in my garage. I have always been a big fan of Shimano reels unless im fishing in blue water.I am originally from Florida so that was my "go to" reel. Its the original Stradic with the wooden handle. I will be willing to sell if anyone wants it. It has caught about every inshore saltwater fish there is. Now that I live in N. Mississippi I have taken up hunting and the reel is just sitting there dying to be used again.

BeastMan
02-13-2014, 05:30 PM
What you want for it? PM me if you want to

SpeckleDawg
02-13-2014, 08:31 PM
If you're a baller, I saw some cheap, relatively speaking, Stella's on there.

I fooled around with one of these a while back and it was like butter, but I couldn't imagine spending that kind of money on a reel. The guy that owned the reel had about a dozen of them. He definitely fits that baller description.

BeastMan
02-13-2014, 08:41 PM
I fooled around with one of these a while back and it was like butter, but I couldn't imagine spending that kind of money on a reel. The guy that owned the reel had about a dozen of them. He definitely fits that baller description.

One of the guys my dad fishes with is a major baller. Gotta sick boat he could take snapper fishing but would rather make a long run to a remote place to surf fish kinda guy. Cannot remember the brand name but he uses some $600 a pop reel. The brand he uses has a lifetime warranty.

ETA- I've never touched a Stella. I'm jelly. I did read somewhere that you can buy different parts and do a "Stella upgrade" on a Stradic but it work sounded much above my pay grade. I'm not a reel builder.

RossDawg82
02-14-2014, 10:09 AM
sent you a PM beastman.

MSUDawg4Life
02-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Beastman, I haven't been fishing in many years. Don't own any fishing gear. My father retired last year and one of his favorite pastimes is fishing. I think I may surprise him and go with him this year. If I were to buy a couple of reels - let's say a couple of those Stradics - which would you suggest? What rod lengths? My father primarily fishes the Mississippi and Louisiana gulf coasts for reds, specks, flounder and such. Some freshwater fishing for bass, crappie and stripers every now and then. What would be two good combos for me?

RossDawg82
02-14-2014, 12:23 PM
I know you aren't asking me but I would go with either Penn or Shimano. I prefer Penns for offshore and shimanos inshore. I am a bit biased and do not think they ever made a reel better than a stradic. I have had mine for well over 10 years and it still works like the day I bought it. The more Ball Bearing a reel has the smoother it will spin. As for Rods, I never went more than 7ft or a little more and nothing to thick unless you are going for Tarpon or grouper. Inshore fish wont bend the rod like those will. I always liked the feel of a compre rod. If you want a set up that will last a long time, I would go with a medium light compre on a stradic or Saraha 4000. Those are the best for the money in my opinion. If you are sitting on money then you can go with a stella .

MSUDawg4Life
02-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Thanks, Ross. I've been looking and the Stradic is about as high as I want to go. I don't think I'd go enough to justify the cost of the Stellas. Appreciate the recommendations though.

BeastMan
02-14-2014, 12:46 PM
sent you a PM beastman.

Returned sir

BeastMan
02-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Beastman, I haven't been fishing in many years. Don't own any fishing gear. My father retired last year and one of his favorite pastimes is fishing. I think I may surprise him and go with him this year. If I were to buy a couple of reels - let's say a couple of those Stradics - which would you suggest? What rod lengths? My father primarily fishes the Mississippi and Louisiana gulf coasts for reds, specks, flounder and such. Some freshwater fishing for bass, crappie and stripers every now and then. What would be two good combos for me?

Me and my dad use almost exclusively 7ft medium action rods. I bought the 3000 size Stradic for the same kind of fishing you're talking about. Mine has 20lb braid but my dad prefers mono and uses 12lb most if the time.

ETA- Another thing worth noting is that I live 3 hours from the coast. One thing I really like about the sized setup I mentioned is that it gives me the versatility to go cast for some bass (as I did last and will this coming weekend) at a local lake. It's by no means a pro bass setup but I can go throw swim baits, worms, etc... good enough to catch a fish or two.

MSUDawg4Life
02-14-2014, 01:02 PM
Me and my dad use almost exclusively 7ft medium action rods. I bought the 3000 size Stradic for the same kind of fishing you're talking about. Mine has 20lb braid but my dad prefers mono and uses 12lb most if the time.

Thanks. I was leaning in that direction. Stradic. 7ft medium action rod. Sounds like the ideal setup for me.