PDA

View Full Version : Rick Ray experience

bully99
02-13-2014, 02:54 PM
How many times in the last 10 or 15 years has a sec school hired a basketball coach with NO head coaching experience. I don't know but I'm sure some of you wizards can find out.

codeDawg
02-13-2014, 03:07 PM
The "Rick Ray wasn't a good hire" horse has been beaten to death. No shit it wasn't a great hire, but we're not going to fire him anytime soon. He's our coach for the foreseeable future. It's time to move on and quit crying about the past.

SouthMsDawg
02-13-2014, 03:10 PM
How many times in the last 10 or 15 years has a sec school hired a basketball coach with NO head coaching experience. I don't know but I'm sure some of you wizards can find out.

The last one before Rick Ray was Stansbury. and that was in 1997. Andy Kennedy served a year as an interim HC at Cincinnati the year before he got the Ole Miss Job. Those are the only two I can think of.

I was screaming at the top of my lungs hire a Mid-Major Head Coach the entire time we were looking for Stans replacement. When it was announced we hired Rick Ray my jaw dropped and I had to Google him b/c I had no idea who the 17 he was.

tcdog70
02-13-2014, 03:53 PM
Yep and Croom was going to get another year until Ole Miss beat us like a Red Headed Step Child. If RR let's us have many more games like last night His ASS will Be History

Coach34
02-13-2014, 04:29 PM
our last 3 basketball coaches had no HC'ing experience before being hired

BullDog
02-13-2014, 05:18 PM
The "Rick Ray wasn't a good hire" horse has been beaten to death. No shit it wasn't a great hire, but we're not going to fire him anytime soon. He's our coach for the foreseeable future. It's time to move on and quit crying about the past.
The Rick Ray hire was the biggest stroke of luck to ever happen to MSU Basketball

In fact I don't think it was luck.

bully99
02-13-2014, 05:19 PM
But Stansbury and Williams were assistants at State .They didn't come in here without ever being in the state of Mississippi before. My point was why can't we hire someone with some experience like every other sec team.

Dawg61
02-13-2014, 05:24 PM
Is everyone assuming we'll have zero casualties in 2014-15? As of right now we will have 12 not 13 players on scholarship with four being first year players. Dunlap, Houston, Black and Ndoye have zero experience. So eight players and four rookies and that's with ZERO TURNOVER or injuries. Like that's happened ever.

mic
02-13-2014, 06:28 PM
But Stansbury and Williams were assistants at State .They didn't come in here without ever being in the state of Mississippi before. My point was why can't we hire someone with some experience like every other sec team.

you asked a question , got an answer you didn't want to hear, and changed your question...
Good thread......

bully99
02-13-2014, 06:41 PM
What the hell are you talking about. How does bringing in a guy who had never been to Mississippi compared to two former assistants with ties to msu compare. If you're gonna call out somebody then at least make sense. # clueless

Hypnodawg
02-14-2014, 11:11 AM
Not to mention you didn't answer his question.

Can someone explain to me why we did hire RR? I looked back at the hiring prospects and we had the likes of Steve Prohm and Bryce Drew interviewing. Why did we go with RR?

article link (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/story/2012-04-02/mississippi-state-hires-rick-ray/53937092/1)

Coach34
02-14-2014, 11:29 AM
Prohm turned the job down not once, but twice.
Drew turned it down also
Smart said it would take 3million for him to even consider it
Marshall was interested for about an hour and then removed his name

Our job was viewed as toxic because of discipline problems and drug use. Then add in we were losing all 5 starters (the rumors of the Hood's talking to coaches around the country about transferring were out)- and coaches saw it was going to be a major rebuilding job. And that's not something they wanted to jump into.

We were stuck with deciding between Ray, Kenny Payne at Kentucky, Joe-career assistant at Kansas, and also a half-hearted look at Mike Davis from Indiana/UAB

smootness
02-14-2014, 11:40 AM
What the hell are you talking about. How does bringing in a guy who had never been to Mississippi compared to two former assistants with ties to msu compare. If you're gonna call out somebody then at least make sense. # clueless

Because that wasn't your original question. You asked how many coaches had been hired without head coaching experience...and you were given two examples, both guys you thought were good coaches at State.

mic
02-14-2014, 11:45 AM

Because you asked how many times past X years has an SEC school hired a head coach with NO head coaching experience.
Coach 34 gave you 2 and they were all at MSU..
And like I said you then went all But But on us and changed your question to never been head coach or no ties to MSU.. Now ur basically saying how can we hire a guy with no head coaching experience and doesn't have Miss ties...
What if we had hired a Duke assistant (Collins) or some assistant from Kansas, UNC or Syracuse ..

Look we get you don't like RR. That's fine.. but he isn't going anywhere for next few years, if he doesn't win or isn't winning in season 4 I will be the first to say its time to look in another direction..

mic
02-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Because that wasn't your original question. You asked how many coaches had been hired without head coaching experience...and you were given two examples, both guys you thought were good coaches at State.

looks like you beat me too it..

LC Dawg
02-14-2014, 12:12 PM
I don't know all the numbers but I bet most of the coaches hired in that span WITH head coaching experience haven't done that well. This is SEC basketball we're talking about.

Coach34
02-14-2014, 12:20 PM
yep- I posted the last 8 SEC basketball hires- all are struggling to keep their job

fishwater99
02-14-2014, 02:34 PM

Where have you been? Our AD wanted a clean program after the Stans Dumpster Fire. He wanted a coach who didn't play players and would instill discipline.
The verdict is still out on Ray's coaching. He needs some better players or he will be gone in 2 more years.

War Machine Dawg
02-14-2014, 02:46 PM
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae73/MSUDawgBurke/DoubleFacepalm2_zpsc8de91c4.jpg (http://s959.photobucket.com/user/MSUDawgBurke/media/DoubleFacepalm2_zpsc8de91c4.jpg.html)

Dawg61
02-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Didn't Scott Drew the Baylor coach call saying he was very interested and we turned him down because he's viewed as being dirty? Let's include him if it's fact. He has done a pretty remarkable job at that shit program. Dirty or not. He gets major NBA talent there.