PDA

View Full Version : Coach Beaver isn't happy about the potential substitution rule

mstatefan91
02-13-2014, 12:39 PM
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2014/hugh-freeze-fires-back/

?Is there documented medical evidence that supports this rule change that tempo offenses are putting players at a higher degree of risk than others? If there is then show it to us,? Freeze told ESPN.com Wednesday night. ?Where is it? They?re going to have to show us some evidence. If there?s not any evidence, then they should table it.

CadaverDawg
02-13-2014, 12:42 PM
Saban > Bucky

The end.

Brahmabull
02-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Interesting to say the leasts. IF Saban wins out, does this signal the end of the up tempo system?? Does it destroy the careers of coaches that use it?

DancingRabbit
02-13-2014, 01:19 PM
I doubt anyone has done a study to examine the medical risks, and it's probably a mistake to use that as the only motivation for doing it.

Unrelated to defensive subs, I think it will probably improve officiating.

The college replay rule calls for reviewing every play. The HUNH offense subverts that process. The offense can prevent the booth official and the defensive coach in the booth from having an opportunity to see a replay. If a replay may favor the offense, then they can take their own sweet time - if a replay may favor the defense then they snap the ball before there's time to review it.

Also, I'm tired of seeing the chain gang not being set, officials scrambling around and not in position, false starts and illegal motion not being called.

If it was just to allow defense to run in fresh bodies, that could have largely been accomplished by allowing substitutions on 1st downs, but that wouldn't solve all of the officiating implications.

And for me personally when watching on the TV, I just like seeing replays. You get the best camera angle(s) showing the gist of what just happened.

As for it being the end of up-tempo offenses, I seriously doubt it. It already takes at least 4-5 seconds to snap the ball - another 5 seconds shouldn't negate all of the benefits of running that system.

msstate7
02-13-2014, 01:26 PM
Interesting to say the leasts. IF Saban wins out, does this signal the end of the up tempo system?? Does it destroy the careers of coaches that use it?

This could be a career killer for coaches like freeze

notsofarawaydawg
02-13-2014, 01:50 PM
Definitely will shut down the Freeze Bubble Offense too. Dr. Bo will have to chunk it down the field which means more interceptions for him.

FlabLoser
02-13-2014, 01:51 PM
There are a lot of tempo offenses in college football, even from name brand schools like Oregon and Auburn. And many that don't have a tempo offense still think this rule change is stupid. I don't see it passing.

Pollodawg
02-13-2014, 02:54 PM
This could be a career killer for coaches like freeze

Was just about to post this. IF this passes, OM will be looking for a new head coach in two seasons.

blacklistedbully
02-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Was just about to post this. IF this passes, OM will be looking for a new head coach in two seasons.

Even if it doesn't this may be true. We're gonna beat that Rebel ass in Oxford this year, and follow that up with the next win at home to make it 6 of past 7. Would Bucky survive that anyway?

bully99
02-13-2014, 03:06 PM
Tony Barnhart tweeted that college football rules committee has 13 members and not a single person from the big 5 conferences. That's why the big schools want to break away from the ncaa.

Oxfordawg
02-13-2014, 03:33 PM
Considering his coaching knowledge is limited to "everybody run to the line!!!!". "Bo, Bo, wrong screen you just lost us the game". Yeah he's squirming right now

Todd4State
02-13-2014, 03:47 PM
Considering his coaching knowledge is limited to "everybody run to the line!!!!". "Bo, Bo, wrong screen you just lost us the game". Yeah he's squirming right now

LOL.

It would be interesting to see what he does. I think this rule would hurt Ole Miss more than Auburn or Oregon because those two are a lot more diverse. My guess is Werner would have to cook some things up.

Westdawg
02-13-2014, 04:18 PM
as a coach, I actually welcome some form of change to keep things effective while still allowing the offense some leeway.

Concerning the safety of players:
This is actually a true statement. Defensive players are not able to re-set themselves into positions which they are trained for to enable them to protect themselves AND be prepared to defend the next play. I have seen countless plays where a hurry up O was setting up before defensive players had a chance to get back in their stances, and the result was the player came in too low or too high or was blindsided or completely taken off their feet because of it. Several leg and knee injuries, and a few concussions. Granted, I dont think there is a full set of medical stats to back this up, but I can assure you injuries can and do happen.
Concerning the effect hurry up has on officiating:
This is probably a more clear approach to a rule change. When you see offenses continually starting before the chains are set and officials aren't even in their appropriate spot to see their designated lines of sight, you have a serious problem. I think that at the VERY LEAST, an offense should have to wait until the chains are re-set and all officials are able to get to their respective spots. with college football, you also have to STRONGLY consider the effect that hurry ups have on replay officials. I know that you all can recall mutliple times from many games where plays were called wrong and offenses just hurried the snap preventing the replay official and any defensive coach or HC to review the play to ensure that it was correct.
I welcome some form of change for the sake of both safety AND officiating. and I think both should be addressed as reasons for the change, not just one or the other.