PDA

View Full Version : A former player speaks about basketball

Coach34
02-13-2014, 11:07 AM
Hello again fellow Dawgs. I felt it was time for me to speak out on the state of our basketball program. This team laid an egg last night against Georgia and it was very evident that no one was there to see it.Kind of like the day the "not so famous" Rick Ray took the job and didn't know how to ring a cowbell. I wonder what it felt like for our kids to run out of the tunnel last nite to see less people than they saw at the Union during lunch. Fortunately, I never had to experience that. I wonder if Coach Ray and his staff felt supported. Hmmmm....different angle huh.

Let me begin by making one thing clear. He was not my choice. I wasn't happy when I heard the news we had hired a guy who had never been a head coach and had no idea about recruiting the state of Mississippi. Like all of you, I was skeptical. Very skeptical. I still haven't formally met him by the way. I didn't think he would win an SEC game last year and I certainly didn't expect him to win four. Especially with no one behind him. I thought he should have gotten votes for coach of the year with what he had to work with. And yes, I'm dead serious.

It's time to make a stand. Whether you agree or not I really don't care, I'm just keeping it real (like I did two years ago). Give the guy a freakin' chance people. He can coach. All of you should go to a practice and see what I mean. There is actually teaching going on from the head coach for the first time in a long time in The Hump. And his kids would run out into traffic for him. There is something to be said for that nowadays believe me. Instead of crying about the good ole days when we underachieved with an IMMENSE level of talent, why not get behind this team and appreciate how far RR has brought this program since he took over. He is 13-11 after inheriting an absolute disaster with no time to go after any players. The problem here is not with the coach or the administration. It is with our fair-weather fan base who is still satisfied with beating Ole Miserable, winning the West (and an occasional SEC tourney) and never getting past the second round of the dance. I said it two years ago, so if you missed it pay attention this time. That's wasn't good enough... because unfortunately the Final Four set the bar for this program. Period.

How can we expect RR to be successful with no support ? This coach and these kids deserve more than what they are getting from the MSU family. We expect this guy to recruit and get big time guys, but players won't come to The Hump if the think no one will be there to watch them. The attendance this year is appalling and I included should be ashamed I haven't been there more (even if it is 8 hours round trip). Believe me I am no better than any of you. The only difference is that I am taking responsibility for it. Time to call a spade a spade. Me included.

This team actually has a chance at post season play and we all should marvel at the fact that we are two players away from being pretty good this soon. We were patient with Mullen and Cohen weren't we?? To build a basketball team you must solidify each position with good players 1 thru 5 then add a couple of role players. He has five opportunities to do that after the season. Three of those are already complete. We have no shooters and no defensive presence in the post. If those two are added this team will be pretty dang good...especially defensively. Let's talk about how much Chicken (Sword's nickname for those still following football recruiting) has developed since Wes Flanagan arrived in Starkville. Or how about the fact that we have a legitimate point guard who is a leader with a big time future (Wes Flanagan recruit btw). Gavin Ware can play but he needs another big along side him to take some pressure off. Let's focus on the good things and give this staff a full recruiting season to develop a nucleus. There are some pieces in place already. RR has been our coach for five minutes and all I here is he isn't winning. Give the man some time!!! And don't give me that our only players are Stans recruits...no one wants to talk about why recruits and (at the time) current players didn't keep their commitments. Trust me. IJ Ready is gonna be a star and was recruited by a guy who knows what it takes at this level. I know because I had to play against him. Wes will be a solid head coach one day. And when he gets a head job RR will have put the same amount of assistants into head jobs as Stans did. And I'm being very generous including Phil Cunningham getting the Troy job because of our former leader. It only took 15 years. Tell you anything?

Anyone understand we were behind in the recruiting game when these guys were hired last year? I don't know whether this program will be where we want it to be in two years, but it's time to rally behind them and show them the same sort of affection I was shown when we went 12-18 the year after the Final Four. It just isn't fair. Bobby Knight would have had a hard time being 13-11 right now with 8 scholarship players. And don't even get me started on where our previous coach would be sitting right now if he would have inherited the mess this program was left in. Looks like to me we got spoiled with winning 20 games and folding come March and April. Again, not good enough for me. "Oh, but we got a bad draw and had to play Texas in Dallas when we were a 3 seed". Life isn't fair people. I know many don't agree and I really don't care. Haters are gonna hate so go right ahead. STILL keeping it real.

Here's an idea. One week from Saturday is MSU alumni basketball weekend. How about coming out and battling with this team instead of giving up on them. Last year (for the first time in 20 years) we were all asked to return by the current staff and celebrate the time we had in my beloved Starkville. Many of us have an enormous amount sweat equity in that place and know what it means to wear the maroon and white. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't always represent our school with the most dignity and I am sorry for that. I truly am. I should have done better for you
guys, but God had a different plan that I wouldn't change in a second. But there was never a time I ran out of that tunnel where I didn't feel like the Bulldawg nation was behind me. I actually saw people in the seats. I feel sorry for these kids. RR has involved the former players that make up the tradition of Mississippi State and that is the foundation for building a program. Sorry, people but that's the truth anywhere. Kids have to see faces in person not ghosts on the wall. I will be there next weekend and so will many former players that took pride in wearing the Maroon and White. It would be nice if these kids had a full house behind them against Arkansas at least once this season. Don't do it for those of us who will be coming back; do it for these kids who are working their butts off and are trying to build for the future. Let's show them why The Hump is the hardest place to play in the league when we show up.

Bravo Rick Ray and how far this program has come since you have been in Starkville. This team has fallen on hard times the last couple of weeks and instead of yelling about what should or shouldn't have been done two years ago, we need to rally behind these kids and prove to them that we are all still here. Staying stuck in the problem gets no one anywhere...EVER.

News Flash: Stans is gone and isn't coming back. So get over it and be a true MSU basketball fan no matter who is walking the sidelines. I love this University and just couldn't keep hearing all the negativity. I hope to see you all next weekend. Go Dawgs!!!

Bart Hyche
MSU Bulldog

mic
02-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Great read. Well done by someone who has been there

Coach34
02-13-2014, 11:27 AM
He has a helluva point- we expect Ray to land a recruit like Malik Newman while we play in front of crowds of 1,500? Good ****ing luck

SignalToNoise
02-13-2014, 11:30 AM
Very good. Bravo.

thedawg
02-13-2014, 11:33 AM
Wow... an injection of a little unemotional truth

Jack Lambert
02-13-2014, 11:36 AM
What I got out of it is he thinks MSU basketball sucks because of the fans. If you want butts in the seat don't continue to get beat by 20. Who wants to drive 2 plus hours to see a half ass effort put forth. It goes both ways. I think it is 50/50. Yes fans should go to the game but the team has to improve as well. He shouild have just left Mullen out of the conversation. Mullen has delivered from day one.

MadDawg
02-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Wow... an injection of a little unemotional truth

Unemotional? LMAO.

Coach34
02-13-2014, 11:40 AM
On the flip side of that- it's hard to win when you are less talented and you have no home court advantage....Mullen was coaching in front of packed houses his 1st season

codeDawg
02-13-2014, 11:42 AM
News Flash: Stans is gone and isn't coming back. So get over it and be a true MSU basketball fan no matter who is walking the sidelines. I love this University and just couldn't keep hearing all the negativity. I hope to see you all next weekend. Go Dawgs!!!

AMEN. Rick Ray is our coach. We aren't firing him any time soon. We aren't going to Polk 2.0 ourselves again. Get over it, and get on board. Empty seats, negativity, and bitching do nothing but try to guarantee a few more years of bad basketball.

For those still mourning the loss of Stans, do you want to be right, or do you want to succeed?

Thanks for being a great Bulldog, Bart.

mic
02-13-2014, 11:44 AM
The effort is there ... When u have zero bench to give ur bigs a blow, hell to even give your 2 and 3 a blow it takes it toll on the second half. Lack of effort no . Lack of talent yes .

thf24
02-13-2014, 11:44 AM
Excellent read. I'd like to think this is going to finally bring all the armchair athletic directors back to reality... but sadly I doubt it.

thedawg
02-13-2014, 11:46 AM
Unemotional? LMAO.

I meant that wasnt like the hundreds of other posts from fans over the last 24 hours that say... "we suck" "we are horrible" "Rick Ray sucks" "we need a new coach" ..... it wasnt your typical emotional grating fan post after a loss...

Thick
02-13-2014, 11:47 AM
The fans having nothing to do with a group of guys that can't hit the broad side of a barn, PERIOD. Bart can take that shit somewhere else. We are not getting Malik regardless of the attendance. There are plenty of teams in the Sun Belt, the Southland, and any other small conference that have better talent then we do. Defense is nothing more then desire and hustle, and at times we have it. Offense is where talent and athleticism come into play, and right now we really don't have much, if any at all!!

LC Dawg
02-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Whether you agree with him or not it is good to see former players care about the program.

Dawg61
02-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Guys the hire was totally botched. Hire Bruce Pearl and this will all be fixed immediately. Scott Stricklin I'm looking at you for creating this whole mess.

Coach34
02-13-2014, 11:54 AM
I know we arent getting Newman either and never were- but what recruit want to play in front of tens of fans? How can you recruit with guys seeing that on visits?

MetEdDawg
02-13-2014, 11:55 AM
The fans having nothing to do with a group of guys that can't hit the broad side of a barn, PERIOD. Bart can take that shit somewhere else. We are not getting Malik regardless of the attendance. There are plenty of teams in the Sun Belt, the Southland, and any other small conference that have better talent then we do. Defense is nothing more then desire and hustle, and at times we have it. Offense is where talent and athleticism come into play, and right now we really don't have much, if any at all!!

That's total bullshit. You are telling me we wouldn't play not one bit better in front of 8,000 people instead of 2,000? Come on. Use some common sense. OUr best games were played in front of a packed Hump, regardless of who we were playing or how poorly coached we were. Pack the Hump and I guarantee this team would play better.

quickstrike2
02-13-2014, 11:56 AM
On the flip side of that- it's hard to win when you are less talented and you have no home court advantage....Mullen was coaching in front of packed houses
his 1st season

I'm not arguing with your point. My initial thought though was Dan Mullen was an assistant on a team that had just won a national championship and had a heisman qb. Rick Ray was a guy most had to google to find out who he was and even that didnt say much. I agree we need butts in the seats, but its not a stretch to see why they aren't.

FlabLoser
02-13-2014, 11:57 AM
What I got out of it is he thinks MSU basketball sucks because of the fans. If you want butts in the seat don't continue to get beat by 20. Who wants to drive 2 plus hours to see a half ass effort put forth. It goes both ways. I think it is 50/50. Yes fans should go to the game but the team has to improve as well. He shouild have just left Mullen out of the conversation. Mullen has delivered from day one.

1. Ray can coach.

2. He needs to recruit.

3. The fans need to help him out by attending the games.

4. Mullen's starting point had a lot more roster and talent than Ray had.

thedawg
02-13-2014, 11:58 AM
1. Ray can coach.

2. He needs to recruit.

3. The fans need to help him out by attending the games.

4. Mullen's starting point had a lot more roster and talent than Ray had.

Agree 100% on all points

Thick
02-13-2014, 12:01 PM
You are ****ing A right I am. If you have talent and love the game, you can play in front of 5 people. The problem is we have no TALENT! If you are a good shooter, you can light it up in front of any size crowd, large or small. WE DON'T HAVE THAT! That was the purpose of reply.

dawgoneyall
02-13-2014, 12:01 PM
People were still dogging Cohen even as late as before the season started last year.

mic
02-13-2014, 12:02 PM
I will hive last nigjt attendence a pass because of weather and late start but We didnt even sell out the UK on a Satuarday with a noon tip .. That's bad.. Good team or not

thedawg
02-13-2014, 12:03 PM
People were still dogging Cohen even as late as before the season started last year.

And if we dont gel and fall flat on our face this year there will be idiots that are dogging him after this year... its amazing how fast coaches can forget how to coach and be idiots to some people.. its the nature of being a fan

gtowndawg
On the flip side of that- it's hard to win when you are less talented and you have no home court advantage....Mullen was coaching in front of packed houses his 1st season

Mullen got me fired up from the moment he stepped off the plane. He generated excitement that made me want to put my money down for tickets and show up to the games. He sold me long before the season started. He was arrogant and he said we would whip TSUN. As Jerry Lawler once said, "that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up....and I like it!"

Rick seems to be a good guy, but he's done nothing to get me excited about basketball in any way, shape or form. He just hasn't. And I think many feel the same. Just that don't care attitude that will ruin programs for a generation.

Thick
That's total bullshit. You are telling me we wouldn't play not one bit better in front of 8,000 people instead of 2,000? Come on. Use some common sense. OUr best games were played in front of a packed Hump, regardless of who we were playing or how poorly coached we were. Pack the Hump and I guarantee this team would play better.

Common sense??? Our best games came because our teams at those times were much more talented then what we currently have....common sense, try facts for a change!

Political Hack
02-13-2014, 12:05 PM
Ray deserves time and support. That shouldn't even be debatable in my opinion. However, he has to keep the team and the team I saw last night gave up. It's the first time I've seen a Ricky Ray team give up and I hope I never see it again. If they will support him and play hard from tip to buzzer, the fans will follow. Last night was the first time I truly wondered if we should consider cutting bait at the end of the season. If the team will play hard for him, it would be dumb to do that... if they don't, we don't have a choice. Putting the onus on the fans, although appropriate over the long haul, is misplaced somewhat at this juncture. The team can't quit because the fans don't show because I can promise you that the fans won't show if the team quits.

BeardoMSU
02-13-2014, 12:15 PM
Well, to continue the Mullen comparison: his first game we beat the shit out of an inferior JSU team. Ricks first game we lost, so that sort of set the negative precedent for the rest of the season that has continued into this year.

In Mullen's losses his first year, we were very competitive, and fans saw an obvious ascension, as evident by the 09 egg bowl and the 2010 season; Fans were rewarded for their game attendance by a team that never quit, over preformed, and got significantly better with every game.

Where have we seen anything remotely like that from our basketball team? Yes, I know we don't have talent. Yes, I know we don't have depth. Yes, I know we don't have shooters, etc., etc. But regardless of that, you can't blame the fans for their apathy when the team has shown absolutely no signs of life. IMO, the fact that we are losing to fellow SEC bottle dwellers by 20+, in an atrocious SEC (and when I say atrocious, I mean 'shit the bed' levels of horrendous basketball) no less, means that we are regressing, not ascending. I mean shit, without the epically weak non-con schedule we had this year, we'd likely have the same or worse record as we did last year. Does more wins mea we are actually getting better? That Ray is actually advancing the program? Nope; and that reality is readily apparent when we play someone other than the special-olympic intramural squads the likes of FAMU, Prairie View, Kenn state, etc.. A&M is not good. Georgia is not good. TCU is not good. Hell even OM, is mediocrely-sub-par...they're a ****in' T-shirt, at best! Getting blown out by these scrubs is in no way on the shoulders of the fans.

BeardoMSU
02-13-2014, 12:28 PM
1. Perhaps...
2. Indeed
3. Incentive is needed
4. I disagree. Example: Tyson Lee and Zack Smith. Dan showed up and turned our team around with a walk-on QB standing at an imposing 5'10". Zack "toast" Smith cost us a number of games while playing CB. Nesbit, a non-throwing QB, of GaTech had a career day passing the ball on our secondary that game, essentially targeting Smith all night. Aside from Anthony Dixon, Chad, and our All American LT, what Dan did with that offense was remarkable.

mstatefan91
02-13-2014, 12:29 PM
The games that we've won this year in the Hump have had bigger attendances. Hell, last year we weren't supposed to come anywhere close to beating TSUN even if we were playing at home but the fans showed up and the players played their hearts out.

Attendance matters whether you want to believe it or not..

AROB44
02-13-2014, 12:30 PM
Just don't think it is warranted to get rid of RR after 2 seasons.....maybe not after 3. Plus....it has no chance of happening after this year (year 2).

Raytoraid83
02-13-2014, 12:39 PM
The Mullen/Rick Ray comparison is a hard one to make. Fans went from Sylvester Crooms offense to the "new" spread offense. That's gonna put seats in the stands. There was still talent on the field to watch, multiple future nfl talent on Mullen's first team and Dixon was a show with in the game on the field. Fans were and always will be much more willing to watch a program that has the perception it is on the rise than one that is collapsing with no talent to keep you interested. I've always loved watching basketball and have made a lot of home games this year and even I catch myself updating twitter or texting during Miss St games. The team is full of average to below average players and style of play is just boring to watch. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to drive 2 hrs or more after work of taking an entire Saturday to watch this team.

Brahmabull
02-13-2014, 12:42 PM
I think most fans (except those that worship Stans) gave Ray a pass last year. There is no doubt in the season and a half he has coached that he has proven he knows how to coach. The real question and is arguably the biggest when it comes to college basketball is can he get the talent needed to succeed. It shouldn't take four years in college basketball to make that determination. We should know after next year.

thf24
02-13-2014, 12:44 PM
4. I disagree. Example: Tyson Lee and Zack Smith. Dan showed up and turned our team around with a walk-on QB standing at an imposing 5'10". Zack "toast" Smith cost us a number of games while playing CB. Nesbit, a non-throwing QB, of GaTech had a career day passing the ball on our secondary that game, essentially targeting Smith all night. Aside from Anthony Dixon, Chad, and our All American LT, what Dan did with that offense was remarkable.

Mullen inheriting Ray's situation would have been more like having a freshman Relf at QB rather than Tyson.

bully99
02-13-2014, 12:45 PM
At least Bart is all in, unlike many of our ex athletes who are all-out. What did Bart mean when he talked about doing things at State he was not proud of. Don't remember him getting in trouble.

MadDawg
02-13-2014, 12:52 PM
At least Bart is all in, unlike many of our ex athletes who are all-out. What did Bart mean when he talked about doing things at State he was not proud of. Don't remember him getting in trouble.

You don't remember his DUI? For most people, that was his most memorable accomplishment at State.

Tbonewannabe
02-13-2014, 12:53 PM

I think he had some issues with drinking. I definitely can't throw stones for that.

drunkernhelldawg
02-13-2014, 12:58 PM
You don't remember? For most people, that was his most memorable accomplishment at State.

I'm on your side in this argument, but this post needs to be removed by its creator. Don't resort to cheap shots just because others do. I am saddened to see this garbage by your name.

Also, you and I both know that Bart made some big plays on occassion. It's hard for me to describe just how cheap this shot is. Ugh.

mic
02-13-2014, 01:01 PM
You don't remember his DUI? For most people, that was his most memorable accomplishment at State.

Well ur an idiot.. We don't make it to final four in 1996 without him as a frosh on that team period ..

smootness
02-13-2014, 01:36 PM
Well ur an idiot.. We don't make it to final four in 1996 without him as a frosh on that team period ..

And we definitely don't throw the ball into the ceiling after each big win without him.

notsofarawaydawg
02-13-2014, 01:40 PM
http://blogdecarole432.b.l.pic.centerblog.net/vjpbj005.gif

SheltonChoked
02-13-2014, 01:45 PM
. I disagree. Example: Tyson Lee and Zack Smith. Dan showed up and turned our team around with a walk-on QB standing at an imposing 5'10". Zack "toast" Smith cost us a number of games while playing CB. Nesbit, a non-throwing QB, of GaTech had a career day passing the ball on our secondary that game, essentially targeting Smith all night. Aside from Anthony Dixon, Chad, and our All American LT, what Dan did with that offense was remarkable.

First, Zach played Safety.

Second, the WR for GA TEch was now 3 Time Pro Bowler and ALL NFL WR Demaryius Thomas.

Third, We played soft Zone all year that Year. a 3rd grader could have thrown the ball to Demaryius Thomas and killed us all game long.

esplanade91
02-13-2014, 01:51 PM
But in fairness, Croom didn't (a better comparison in my opinion, Sherrill -> Croom = Stans -> Ray). And he never deserved it. Not as a person, because I'm sure he's great (HE WAS THE PERFECT GUY TO BECOME THE FIRST AFRICAN-AMERICAN HC IN THE SEC!!!!!!!!!!!!), but as a coach... our administration made a horrible, horrible hire based on circumstances other than winning and we as fans paid for it deeply.

Seems to be the same thing happening to Rick Ray. We made an uneducated hire and more importantly we needed a camp counselor.

The next guy who comes in will get a hero's welcome just like Mullen.

Unfair to Rick Ray. Not only because the new guy will have twice as many fans as Rick Ray on his first day as coach and months before he actually coaches a game, but also because he'll go down as the worst coach in our school's history. Croomtastic. Neither of them deserve it, but that's on MSU.

ETA: Both coaches being black has nothing to do with the comparison. Just had to throw that disclaimer out there before I got grilled by some.

C222
02-13-2014, 02:12 PM

Did Bart hurt your feelings when he talked about your boy? I bet Team Stans is hating Bart right now.

Coach34
02-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Did Bart hurt your feelings when he talked about your boy? I bet Team Stans is hating Bart right now.

that's an understatement...I got forwarded a text a little earlier, It's mind-boggling the loyalty some people have to Stands- and this is a guy that played for him that wrote this. The text was full of butthurt

messageboardsuperhero
02-13-2014, 02:17 PM
Stolen from SPS. And yes, I happen to agree with what he says:

Hello again fellow Dawgs. I felt it was time for me to speak out on the state of our basketball program. This team laid an egg last night against Georgia and it was very evident that no one was there to see it. Kind of like the day the "not so famous" Rick Ray took the job and didn't know how to ring a cowbell. I wonder what it felt like for our kids to run out of the tunnel last nite to see less people than they saw at the Union during lunch. Fortunately, I never had to experience that. I wonder if Coach Ray and his staff felt supported. Hmmmm....different angle huh.

Let me begin by making one thing clear. He was not my choice. I wasn't happy when I heard the news we had hired a guy who had never been a head coach and had no idea about recruiting the state of Mississippi. Like all of you, I was skeptical. Very skeptical. I still haven't formally met him by the way. I didn't think he would win an SEC game last year and I certainly didn't expect him to win four. Especially with no one behind him. I thought he should have gotten votes for coach of the year with what he had to work with. And yes, I'm dead serious.

It's time to make a stand. Whether you agree or not I really don't care, I'm just keeping it real (like I did two years ago). Give the guy a freakin' chance people. He can coach. All of you should go to a practice and see what I mean. There is actually teaching going on from the head coach for the first time in a long time in The Hump. And his kids would run out into traffic for him. There is something to be said for that nowadays believe me. Instead of crying about the good ole days when we underachieved with an IMMENSE level of talent, why not get behind this team and appreciate how far RR has brought this program since he took over. He is 14-11 after inheriting an absolute disaster with no time to go after any players. The problem here is not with the coach or the administration. It is with our fair-weather fan base who is still satisfied with beating Ole Miserable, winning the West (and an occasional SEC tourney) and never getting past the second round of the dance. I said it two years ago, so if you missed it pay attention this time. That's wasn't good enough... because unfortunately the Final Four set the bar for this program. Period.

How can we expect RR to be successful with no support ? This coach and these kids deserve more than what they are getting from the MSU family. We expect this guy to recruit and get big time guys, but players won't come to The Hump if the think no one will be there to watch them. The attendance this year is appalling and I included should be ashamed I haven't been there more (even if it is 8 hours round trip). Believe me I am no better than any of you. The only difference is that I am taking responsibility for it. Time to call a spade a spade. Me included.

This team actually has a chance at post season play and we all should marvel at the fact that we are two players away from being pretty good this soon. We were patient with Mullen and Cohen weren't we?? To build a basketball team you must solidify each position with good players 1 thru 5 then add a couple of role players. He has five opportunities to do that after the season. Three of those are already complete. We have no shooters and no defensive presence in the post. If those two are added this team will be pretty dang good...especially defensively. Let's talk about how much Chicken (Sword's nickname for those still following football recruiting) has developed since Wes Flanigan arrived in Starkville. Or how about the fact that we have a legitimate point guard who is a leader with a big time future (Wes Flanagan recruit btw). Gavin Ware can play but he needs another big along side him to take some pressure off. Let's focus on the good things and give this staff a full recruiting season to develop a nucleus. There are some pieces in place already. RR has been our coach for five minutes and all I here is he isn't winning. Give the man some time!!! And don't give me that our only players are Stans recruits...no one wants to talk about why recruits and (at the time) current players didn't keep their commitments. Trust me. IJ Ready is gonna be a star and was recruited by a guy who knows what it takes at this level. I know because I had to play against him. Wes will be a solid head coach one day. And when he gets a head job RR will have put the same amount of assistants into head jobs as Stans did. And I'm being very generous including Phil Cunningham getting the Troy job because of our former leader. It only took 15 years. Tell you anything?

Anyone understand we were behind in the recruiting game when these guys were hired last year? I don't know whether this program will be where we want it to be in two years, but it's time to rally behind them and show them the same sort of affection I was shown when we went 12-18 the year after the Final Four. It just isn't fair. Bobby Knight would have had a hard time being 14-11 right now with 8 scholarship players. And don't even get me started on where our previous coach would be sitting right now if he would have inherited the mess this program was left in. Looks like to me we got spoiled with winning 20 games and folding come March and April. Again, not good enough for me. "Oh, but we got a bad draw and had to play Texas in Dallas when we were a 3 seed". Life isn't fair people.

I know many don't agree and I really don't care. Haters are gonna hate so go right ahead. STILL keeping it real.

Here's an idea. One week from Saturday is MSU alumni basketball weekend. How about coming out and battling with this team instead of giving up on them. Last year (for the first time in 20 years) we were all asked to return by the current staff and celebrate the time we had in my beloved Starkville. Many of us have an enormous amount sweat equity in that place and know what it means to wear the maroon and white. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't always represent our school with the most dignity and I am sorry for that. I truly am. I should have done better for you guys, but God had a different plan that I wouldn't change in a second. But there was never a time I ran out of that tunnel where I didn't feel like the Bulldawg nation was behind me. I actually saw people in the seats. I feel sorry for these kids. RR has involved the former players that make up the tradition of Mississippi State and that is the foundation for building a program. Sorry,people but that's the truth anywhere. Kids have to see faces in person not ghosts on the wall. I will be there next weekend and so will many former players that took pride in wearing the Maroon and White. It would be nice if these kids had a full house behind them against Arkansas at least once this season. Don't do it for those of us who will be coming back; do it for these kids who are working their butts off and are trying to build for the future. Let's show them why The Hump is the hardest place to play in the league when we show up.

Bravo Rick Ray and how far this program has come since you have been in Starkville. This team has fallen on hard times the last couple of weeks and instead of yelling about what should or shouldn't have been done two years ago, we need to rally behind these kids and prove to them that we are all still here. Staying stuck in the problem gets no one anywhere...EVER.

-Former MSU Player Bart Hyche

ETA: Damn, totally missed the other thread. My bad.

Hot Rock
02-13-2014, 02:18 PM
Ummmm, did you read the thread just below yours?

Edited (threads have been combined) nevermind

Goat from MSU
02-13-2014, 02:31 PM
It was a good read but are you sure that it is him? But I do know one thing if the 5 biggest cigar boys want Ray gone it will happen no matter what anyone thinks,money runs college sports. The game last night did not help his cause one bit,right now I do not care who is coach,I just want a winning team and back in the Big Dance. You were right on one thing Gregg Marshall should have been our coach no matter what it cost in getting him.
that's an understatement...I got forwarded a text a little earlier, It's mind-boggling the loyalty some people have to Stands- and this is a guy that played for him that wrote this. The text was full of butthurt

Dawg61
02-13-2014, 03:08 PM
The cost needs to have a ceiling or else we are not just significantly raising the bball coach's salary but we are then forced to raise Dan's into the Les Miles area and come on man we haven't beaten LSU in 15 ****ing years. We can get a bad ass basketball coach for 2 million a year.

Raytoraid83
02-13-2014, 03:17 PM
It was a good read but are you sure that it is him? But I do know one thing if the 5 biggest cigar boys want Ray gone it will happen no matter what anyone thinks,money runs college sports. The game last night did not help his cause one bit,right now I do not care who is coach,I just want a winning team and back in the Big Dance. You were right on one thing Gregg Marshall should have been our coach no matter what it cost in getting him.

Greg Marshall is making over $1.7 mil at Witchita St now. It would take a UK or elite type program to make him leave that. Hell we offered Steve Prohm over a mil and he turned down the job and he only makes about $300k. It's hard to convince a coach to come to a school with an average winning tradition that runs off a coach coming off a 20 win season. I know we all know why Stansbury was run off and this isn't ment to turn into that conversation.

tcdog70
02-13-2014, 03:41 PM
The Mullen/Rick Ray comparison is a hard one to make. Fans went from Sylvester Crooms offense to the "new" spread offense. That's gonna put seats in the stands. There was still talent on the field to watch, multiple future nfl talent on Mullen's first team and Dixon was a show with in the game on the field. Fans were and always will be much more willing to watch a program that has the perception it is on the rise than one that is collapsing with no talent to keep you interested. I've always loved watching basketball and have made a lot of home games this year and even I catch myself updating twitter or texting during Miss St games. The team is full of average to below average players and style of play is just boring to watch. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to drive 2 hrs or more after work of taking an entire Saturday to watch this team.

Ha we were so glad to see Croom hit the ASSWAGON, we would filled the stands if Elmer Fudd was our new Coach. Did we learn nothing from the Croom ERROR. You can't hire a Coach who has done nothing to prove He can he a Head Coach. Ray comes from a shitty Clemson who Stansbury turned down. He has no recruiting ability, He knows squat about MSU or Mississippi. Why would you think he could be a HC??

Dawg61
02-13-2014, 04:00 PM
Auburn and Alabama won't offer Pearl $2mill and Bama hates Tennessee so I doubt they go after a former Vol anyway. We can get Pearl at $2mill if we're proactive on this. Or we can just continue being reactive and wait till after next year when Pearl is already gone and we'll wind up with Kermit or Payne. Sigh.

mic
02-13-2014, 04:00 PM

I know for a fact 100% he wrote it..

Coach34
02-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Greg Marshall is making over $1.7 mil at Witchita St now. It would take a UK or elite type program to make him leave that. Hell we offered Steve Prohm over a mil and he turned down the job and he only makes about $300k. It's hard to convince a coach to come to a school with an average winning tradition that runs off a coach coming off a 20 win season. I know we all know why Stansbury was run off and this isn't ment to turn into that conversation.

No, it's hard to convince a coach to come to Mississippi State when they are losing 5 starters and are a current dumpster fire.

For the 20th time- Marshall was initially interested. Then called us back an hour or two after he got off the phone the first time and said no thank you. Word was out about the dumpster fire that was our program and coaches werent going to risk their careers on it.

Coach34
02-13-2014, 04:15 PM
I know for a fact 100% he wrote it..

he emailed it to me himself after you sent it to me Mic

Coach34
02-13-2014, 04:17 PM
The cost needs to have a ceiling or else we are not just significantly raising the bball coach's salary but we are then forced to raise Dan's into the Les Miles area and come on man we haven't beaten LSU in 15 ****ing years. We can get a bad ass basketball coach for 2 million a year.

Shaka Smart told us it would take 3MM/year

Dawg61
02-13-2014, 04:22 PM
Shaka Smart told us it would take 3MM/year

Shaka isn't coming off a 3 year ban. $2mill is tops for Pearl and if he asks for more than that he's a fool.

mic
02-13-2014, 04:27 PM

I feel your frustration Thick, but go back and read the article again.

1.) Bart DID say we have no shooters and no defensive presents in the post.. Think back to when Jarvis was our big man. How many times did guards blow by our defenders or split the middle of that "soft" 2-3 zone we played only to be bailed out by the shot blocking ability of Swat.
2.) he did say that RR wasn't a popular choice with him or any of us for that matter. Apparently BH has seen enough with his coaching ability to change his mind a little about that.
3.) I think when BH was talking about or fan support he wasn't saying that we are to blame for bad play or losses. everyone that knows anything about sports would say that kids would much rather play in front of a loud packed house. Hell our guys would probably settle for a loud 3/4 full Hump. Players feed of the crowd that's why its so hard to for anyone to win on the road. But we should support this team more. A Saturday afternoon tip with UK should be a packed house no matter what our record is. And the mid week game with Fla (top 5 in country) was maybe 3/4 full.. Both games that we were in up till the last about 5 minutes. maybe a packed noisy Hump could have made a little more difference. (And yes I was there for both)
4.) I have not been to a practice, but I can see improvement in players. Best example is Bloodman. He is actually a very serviceable back up point guard. Much improved from last year. And when it comes to effort I think we are seeing that the season can take its toll to a depleted squad. Lots of tired bodies because of the depth. Every other Coach can go to the bench 9 , 10 , even 12 deep and get fresh bodies in. we go about 4 deep..
5.) lets not get carried away with the Mullen/ Cohen comparison.. I am not speaking for BH but I think he basically meant give RR a few years. if he doesn't get the job done or making progress in year 3 and for sure 4 with a full roster then we can all probably agree time too pull the cord.

Coach34
02-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Shaka isn't coming off a 3 year ban. $2mill is tops for Pearl and if he asks for more than that he's a fool.

I think Pearl already has a job lined up myself. I would certainly make a call to his agent just to see. But dont be naive enough to think we'd be the only ones doing it

Dawg61
02-13-2014, 04:39 PM
I think Pearl already has a job lined up myself. I would certainly make a call to his agent just to see. But dont be naive enough to think we'd be the only ones doing it

Ahhhh that's ALL I'm asking for. Make some calls. MSU just might be surprised at what Pearl says. It's most likely going to be an SEC school that gets him and we can eliminate half of them already (including Tennessee). If we get the jump on the others and we PAY HIM we CAN GET HIM. Nothing more than 2 mill though.

Coach34
02-13-2014, 04:41 PM
It's a pipe dream though because Strick and Keenum arent going to go after a Bruce Pearl.

Dawg61
02-13-2014, 05:15 PM
It's a pipe dream though because Strick and Keenum arent going to go after a Bruce Pearl.

So they'd turn down that fish if it was put on their plate for them without them doing any work for it? Stricklin needs to be cleaning the dumpsters while the fishing goes on btw. He's in time out.

MadDawg
02-13-2014, 06:17 PM

Yes. The only way you could not be ecstatic about our program right now is from some misplaced loyalty to our former coach. You got it.

Coach34
02-13-2014, 06:38 PM
Yes. The only way you could not be ecstatic about our program right now is from some misplaced loyalty to our former coach. You got it.

This text was pretty specific. Bart's comments related to Stands pissed them off and they couldnt wait for him to get to Auburn to "show us"