PDA

View Full Version : Listening to Ray talk on weekly show raised numerous flags for me... For one, he.....

RougeDawg
02-13-2014, 02:41 AM
wouldn't even make it past the initial phone interview with me, if I were interviewing him for the head coaching position at a SEC institution. I have taken a break from seriously concerning myself with MSU Basketball, but this shit is ridiculous, but not unexplainable after listening to Ray talk on the coaches show this week. It was almost embarrassing to hear him talk. Just not what one would expect from a SEC Coach of any sport. His speaking did not bode well for his perception of being a competent coach. I would somewhat be disappointed in a high school talking at the intellectual level that RRay does. I'm sure most have thought this about Ray previously after hearing him speak, but I don't know if it's been discussed.

A coaches speaking ability could also have a negative effect on recruiting. Since most posts I see on here are about Ray's inability to recruit this got me thinking. If I had a top rated basketball son, and a coach came in with RRay's talking/speaking, I would definitely question allowing my son to go play for him. There are just certain things that turn people off during critical interviews or in home visits. None of the RRay troubles really hit home with me until I actually listened to him talk, and then it all started to become clear for me. If I feel this way about a coach of the basketball program I feel passionately about after hearing him talk for the first time, how do people who don't give a shit about our BBall program feel after meeting with him? This could be the hidden reason behind his so called lack of recruiting.

rabbitthedawg
02-13-2014, 07:51 AM
With all due respect, I was very supportive of Stans and hated to see him go. We're now getting exactly what many wished for. That being said, Stans was not a good speaker, his English skills lacked tremendously, yet he was able to recruit and recruit well. Do we really think the way a person speaks has anything to do with coaching or recruiting? Just sayin...

K9 Avenger
02-13-2014, 08:16 AM
I have spoken with Rick Ray on more than one occasion and found him to be bright, engaging, charming and articulate. He may or may not prove to be the right hire for Men's Basketball but if he fails, in my opinion, it will have nothing to do with your assertion. I strongly disagree with your post.

smootness
02-13-2014, 08:27 AM
Uh....

Ray is very intelligent and articulate, and I've always thought he was fantastic in interviews and press conferences. I don't want to state the reason I believe you see him as unintelligent, but I couldn't disagree with you more.

K9 Avenger
02-13-2014, 08:27 AM
If being well spoken and articulate was a prerequisite for winning basketball games, Stans wouldn't have made it past Christmas his first season. Just sayin'...

LC Dawg
02-13-2014, 08:39 AM
I don't know what the final outcome will be in regards to coaching and recruiting but we definitely upgraded our basketball head coaching position in regards to public speaking.

dawgclub99
02-13-2014, 08:52 AM
Great public speakers do not win games. Ray has got to win the state in recruiting. Im just hoping for the NIT next year.

Political Hack
02-13-2014, 08:59 AM
I've always thought of Ray as being pretty articulate and bright... which, as others have said, doesn't matter one but when it comes to winning games.

TrueMaroon
02-13-2014, 09:01 AM
I don't know what the final outcome will be in regards to coaching and recruiting but we definitely upgraded our basketball head coaching position in regards to public speaking.

arent that great with public speaking. Stansbury had charisma when he spoke, but Ray has a perpetual "I dont care" expression on his face. Let's face it, he may know X's and O's( I still think this is to be determined) , but he's not enthusiastic when he speaks.

AFDawg
02-13-2014, 09:06 AM
I find it amazing that you consider him anything but fairly well spoken. He has a degree in applied math and worked as an actuary. He's a smart guy.

Coach34
02-13-2014, 09:08 AM
I have yet to hear Rick Ray say "freshmens" like our previous coach did

quickstrike2
02-13-2014, 09:27 AM
This is the most i have ever seen the word "articulate" used. He has sounded intelligent every time i have listened to him.

codeDawg
02-13-2014, 09:46 AM
Recruiting: Ray can't do it alone and as long as boosters and fans are bitching about a situation that isn't his fault we are all going to fail.

Get that "articulate" shit out of here. You're reaching, and not in a productive direction.

SPMT
02-13-2014, 10:05 AM
Ray can't recruit unless he gets on the AAU train. Just naive and stupid to believe otherwise. Boosters can't do much without being steered in the right direction.

Coach34
02-13-2014, 10:14 AM
I'll steer ya- Malik Newman

SPMT
02-13-2014, 10:19 AM
I'll steer ya- Malik Newman

You know what I'm saying. A concerted effort, overall.

hacker
02-13-2014, 11:55 AM
Let me guess, Ray sounds like a "thug" **

maroonmania
02-13-2014, 12:05 PM
This is a ridiculous post unless you want to provide some examples of WHAT he said that concerns you. As several have stated Ray sounds like the Great Communicator compared with the way Stans butchered the English language. I like Stans a lot but he sounded like someone that grew up WAY out in the country even though I like him a lot. Ray is a college math major and a bright individual and speaks well whether you like the content of what he says or the facial expression he has when he says it. Of course whether you speak like a redneck or British royalty has little to do with whether you can coach and win basketball games.

Goat Holder
02-13-2014, 12:13 PM
You are terrible for multiple reasons. For one, you're emotional. Second, you jump on a guy when he's down, in the MIDDLE of his job. I don't agree with you on his speaking, but it raises a red flag for ME about YOU because you are waiting until NOW to declare this. You had tons of time to form this opinion but you didn't, you waited until he was having a rough time, THEN brought it up. You're making shit up to fit your emotional agenda.

Our country if full of little shits like you.

MzTerry
02-13-2014, 12:17 PM
wouldn't even make it past the initial phone interview with me, if I were interviewing him for the head coaching position at a SEC institution. I have taken a break from seriously concerning myself with MSU Basketball, but this shit is ridiculous, but not unexplainable after listening to Ray talk on the coaches show this week. It was almost embarrassing to hear him talk. Just not what one would expect from a SEC Coach of any sport. His speaking did not bode well for his perception of being a competent coach. I would somewhat be disappointed in a high school talking at the intellectual level that RRay does. I'm sure most have thought this about Ray previously after hearing him speak, but I don't know if it's been discussed.

A coaches speaking ability could also have a negative effect on recruiting. Since most posts I see on here are about Ray's inability to recruit this got me thinking. If I had a top rated basketball son, and a coach came in with RRay's talking/speaking, I would definitely question allowing my son to go play for him. There are just certain things that turn people off during critical interviews or in home visits. None of the RRay troubles really hit home with me until I actually listened to him talk, and then it all started to become clear for me. If I feel this way about a coach of the basketball program I feel passionately about after hearing him talk for the first time, how do people who don't give a shit about our BBall program feel after meeting with him? This could be the hidden reason behind his so called lack of recruiting.

again, applied mathematics degree, worked as an actuary and then got a master's degree. there is a klan meeting you're probably late to somewhere.

Johnson85
02-13-2014, 12:18 PM
I don't think Ray sounds good when he speaks. Not bad, just haven't been impressed.
I don't think he sounds unintelligent. He just doesn't sound like a good speaker.
This doesn't worry me at all with respect to coaching ability or recruiting ability.
To quote Ed Orgeron "raha araer rah rog rag rah aasdnabmm mbmasl Brent Schaeffer". I have not clue what Orgeron meant by that or anything else he said, but what I take from it is that being a good public speaker is probably not strongly correlated with being a good recruiter.

BullDog
02-13-2014, 12:24 PM

I hope we can revisit these threads. We'll win 20 next year. Some of you guys should really be embarrassed by your basketball ignorance. Not that there's any thing wrong with being ignorant. But to blast it out to the world of elites is funny. Seriously! Will have to spend some money to keep Rick Ray. Count on it.

LC Dawg
02-13-2014, 12:57 PM
Stansbury used to sometimes sound like he just came from checking the fire at the still so I don't think ability to speak well is that important in recruiting. I think someone is really trying hard not to like Rick Ray if this is their argument against him.

bluelightstar
02-13-2014, 01:15 PM
Opening post makes our fanbase look bad.

SheltonChoked
02-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Please stop this.

Surely you didn't mean to say a coach at MSU would not be able to recruit becasue he talks at to high an intellectual level. You are an MSU fan?

RougeDawg
02-13-2014, 02:25 PM
I hope we can revisit these threads. We'll win 20 next year. Some of you guys should really be embarrassed by your basketball ignorance. Not that there's any thing wrong with being ignorant. But to blast it out to the world of elites is funny. Seriously! Will have to spend some money to keep Rick Ray. Count on it.

So an educated person speaks in sentences containing multiple tenses? His talking is difficult to follow for one who does a lot of formal proposals and reporting on a daily basis. I'm guessing most of you did not receive astute grades in English courses during your lifetime, but his use of verbs ans adjectives is very poor. Maybe I just interact mainly with people who can actually speak the English language properly, and I just notice how well versed one is.

Some of you should be embarrassed by your language ignorance. This has nothing to do with basketball.

I'm not saying I dislike the guy one bit, but I would be put off by someone using the English language the way he does in an interview with me, and I'm sure that some parents would feel the same way.

Is winning 20 that much of an accomplishment? This team is digressing badly, and winning 20 in the shitty SEC should be almost guaranteed next year with our patty cake OOC Schedule.

RougeDawg
02-13-2014, 02:31 PM
Maybe I'm not in the majority. Maybe most of you either don't care if a representative of our university speaks properly, or are too ignorant to notice.

maroonmania
02-13-2014, 02:43 PM
Maybe I'm not in the majority. Maybe most of you either don't care if a representative of our university speaks properly, or are too ignorant to notice.

My word, what in the world must you have thought of Stansbury's speaking skills? Of all the criticisms I currently have with Ray how he speaks is near the very bottom.

Bullmutt
02-13-2014, 03:07 PM
I would merely point out that, although he's my guy, Mullen often speaks with quite mediocre grammar/sentence-structure.

Dawg61
02-13-2014, 03:30 PM

We lost to TCU at home. TCU is 0-11 in the Big12. Isn't it a little early to be drunk?

defiantdog
02-13-2014, 04:07 PM
2009 Mississippi State 25–29 9–20 6th (West)
2010 Mississippi State 23–33 6–24 6th (West)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This was Coach Cohen's record in his first two seasons. Everyone was calling for his head on SPS back then as well.

1998–99 Mississippi State 20–13 8–8 T–3rd (West) NIT 1st Round
1999–2000 Mississippi State 14–16 5–11 T–5th (West)
2000–01 Mississippi State 18–13 7–9 T–4th (West) NIT Quarterfinals

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is Stan's first three seasons at State.

Everyone needs to give Ray a little breathing room. The guy took over a dumpster fire when he got here and has to rebuild from the bottom. Having coaches last only two years and done is awful for a program. Hell, after we beat Ole Miss at home, everyone was raving how good he was at being a floor coach.

MzTerry
02-13-2014, 04:20 PM
So an educated person speaks in sentences containing multiple tenses? His talking is difficult to follow for one who does a lot of formal proposals and reporting on a daily basis. I'm guessing most of you did not receive astute grades in English courses during your lifetime, but his use of verbs ans adjectives is very poor. Maybe I just interact mainly with people who can actually speak the English language properly, and I just notice how well versed one is.

Some of you should be embarrassed by your language ignorance. This has nothing to do with basketball.

I'm not saying I dislike the guy one bit, but I would be put off by someone using the English language the way he does in an interview with me, and I'm sure that some parents would feel the same way.

Is winning 20 that much of an accomplishment? This team is digressing badly, and winning 20 in the shitty SEC should be almost guaranteed next year with our patty cake OOC Schedule.

oooohhhh grammar smack - look out rougedawg does proposals. yes, rougedawg, you're the only person who made decent to good grades in English or has a decent job that involves client interaction. you've edited your post, yet you misspelled "and" and you used astute incorrectly (you can be astute in the subject of english, but you cannot make astute grades). you made several other errors (even after editing your post) and my favorite is when people overuse "one" in an attempt to sound extemely intelligent - it's actually taught in English not to use one anymore. I'm sure you are very smart rougedawg, but i'm just pointing out that you may want to tend to your business when trying to sound so righteous.

use w/l, inability to get recruits qualified, etc etc before making up this phantom grammar argument.

defiantdog
02-13-2014, 04:31 PM
oooohhhh grammar smack - look out rougedawg does proposals. yes, rougedawg, you're the only person who made decent to good grades in English or has a decent job that involves client interaction. you've edited your post, yet you misspelled "and" and you used astute incorrectly (you can be astute in the subject of english, but you cannot make astute grades). you made several other errors (even after editing your post) and my favorite is when people overuse "one" in an attempt to sound extemely intelligent - it's actually taught in English not to use one anymore. I'm sure you are very smart rougedawg, but i'm just pointing out that you may want to tend to your business when trying to sound so righteous.

use w/l, inability to get recruits qualified, etc etc before making up this phantom grammar argument.
One would have to agree with you.****

BullDog
02-13-2014, 04:39 PM

What is digressing badly is you inability to climb out of the hole your egotistical, queens English, ass has dug for yourself. Rick Ray is smarter than you. He knows what he is doing. He does not slip into an emotionally reactive state of mind and rant against circumstance like weaker ass better spoken bitches do. Please, have your boyfriend write a letter complaining about press conference language and send it to the AD.

RougeDawg
02-13-2014, 04:42 PM

I'm pointing out how a representative of our university comes across on the television screen and radio when speaking.

I edited my post to add a sentence, if you must know. Nice try though. "S" is next to "D" on keyboard, in case you haven't realized. Nice try again. Spelling and grammar are two different categories. Nice try again. One could win the national spelling be but still speak out of tense, voice, or both, causing others who listen to question some things. That's all I'm saying. Not trying to sound righteous about anything. It's a fact that Americans slaughter the English language. I don't normally take notice to a Joe Schmoe at the game using horrible English, but I do notice public figures who butcher it.

Yes, Mullen does have some quirks to his talking, but at least his sentences are in the same person, voice and tense. Just the short time I listened to him his responses would flip between tenses and voice. Look if people don't notice, or choose to look past it, that's fine with me. I'm just pointing out how he came across to me after actually listening "Talk" to him for the first time.

smootness
02-13-2014, 04:56 PM
What are some example of him screwing up his tenses?

Coach34
02-13-2014, 05:00 PM
We just had hillbilly coach us for 14 years...nothing Ray says will be any worse than what we have heard in the past...end of story...end of thread

CadaverDawg
02-13-2014, 06:02 PM
I think Ray is a pretty good speaker and very very intelligent. I love the way he breaks down things sometimes on his radio show...it shows how knowledgeable he is about the X's and O's. As someone said, Orgeron is a great recruiter, so the "way he speaks" argument can't be used for that.

If I'm being super picky, the ONLY thing I wish he would change about the way he talks, is that he uses the word "like", a whole lot. He uses it in a way that Highschool girls use it. Ha, not sure if I'm the only one who notices it, but it's not a big deal, and I still consider him a great speaker. I like Ray, and hope he succeeds....needs to bring in some damn talent in a hurry though. I wish our boosters would break out the juicy jumbos.

Sorry Rouge, your OP was not velly velly guud.