PDA

View Full Version : Bruce pearl

msstate7
02-13-2014, 12:03 AM
I know we'll never pull the trigger to even try and get him this year, but would pearl come if we did?

Intramural All-American
02-13-2014, 12:04 AM
I've always defended Ray, but I'll be honest, if we could legitimately get Pearl this year, I'd do it.

defiantdog
02-13-2014, 12:07 AM
Not a chance with Stricklin pullin the strings

JohnnyQuid
02-13-2014, 12:12 AM
Worth a shot, if nothing else.

Coach34
02-13-2014, 12:12 AM
Get in line for Pearl

He can be hired in March or April and can start recruiting again in August. Shit, Tennessee fans are starting a grass roots movement to hire him back.

There are a few schools getting in the Bruce Pearl line already....and what's more, people think Pearl is working Tennessee-from a recent interview:

"There are situations elsewhere nationwide where coaches are working under show-causes, I do know that. Keep in mind, by the time practice starts in the fall all of this would be behind me. There would be some recruiting responsibilities that my staff would have until August. But I do think it would work if there is an opportunity this spring.

"I've always said that I love the University of Tennessee, I love Knoxville and have continued to live here. It's a great place to live. My kids have jobs here, my wife was born and raised here. It's a unique situation, but I don't think it's fair right now to Coach Martin or the players to talk about that job like it's open right now. They have some big time games and VolNation needs to continue to show why they're the best fans in the country."

Dawg61
02-13-2014, 12:17 AM
I'm telling you we absolutely have as good a shot as anyone to get Pearl. We can get him. I'm certain of it and I'm 100% certain Jimmy Cheek will never allow Pearl back.

Brahmabull
02-13-2014, 12:19 AM
Unless we are firing Strickland, then we are not even considering Pearl! Or anyone remotely close to him.

JiggleBilly
02-13-2014, 12:21 AM
Pearl is Bama bound I'd almost bet on it.

RC3
02-13-2014, 12:21 AM
This would be a lot like the Jackie sherrill hire in many ways. I'm not ready to give up on Ray yet but man that's enticing to think about pearl here

Coach34
02-13-2014, 12:36 AM
I would be 100% for hiring Pearl

But knowing what I do on Keenum and Strick- has literally no chance of happening

Dawg61
02-13-2014, 01:11 AM
Even Rick Stansbury would tell Keenum to hire Pearl. Stricklin doesn't deserve to get any say this time. He can go play golf in Arizona for all of August.

bully99
02-13-2014, 01:15 AM
State ain't hiring Pearl, nor is Tennessee. Pearl and Stains are good friends. Auburn is a possibility.

HereComesTheSpiral
02-13-2014, 08:37 AM
Anyone thought about kelvin sampson, former Indiana coach and now an assistant with the Rockets. Im sure he wants to get back into a head coaching position and his show cause ended last year.

msstate7
02-13-2014, 08:39 AM
Anyone thought about kelvin sampson, former Indiana coach and now an assistant with the Rockets. Im sure he wants to get back into a head coaching position and his show cause ended last year.

Does he have a show cause?

HereComesTheSpiral
02-13-2014, 08:42 AM
Does he have a show cause?

He had one up until 2013 for some impermissible phone calls. Only hesitation I have with him is that he left every school on probation and pretty much hurt their programs, but it cant get any worse than the shit we are seeing right now.

AFDawg
02-13-2014, 09:11 AM
** Our other coach from the Chosen People took us to the national championship game. For that reason alone I'm for Pearl.

ShotgunDawg
02-13-2014, 09:25 AM
I don't understand why people keep saying that Strickland shouldn't get any say in the basketball hire this time, and here is why.

The best organizations/companies/universities are entities where people perform their job, and higher ranked employees don't meddle or play in another's sandbox. Like Bob Craft has always said, "the best teams are the ones where owners own, GMs GM, and coaches coach."

The athletic director position is a position that is supposed to have the power to hire and fire coaches. And by not allowing Stricklin to hire new coaches, a major management mistake would have taken place.

Whether you have confidence in Stricklin to make the hire or not, you must allow him to make the hire, or you have no way to evaluate or hold Stricklin accountable for his job performance. If the administration truly doesn't have faith in Stricklin then they should fire him and hire a new athletic director that they have confidence in, but, due to Stricklin still being on the job, I expect he will make every hire and he should.

This doesn't mean that boosters, Keenum, etc... shouldn't be able to give advice, but the biggest management problem in not allowing Stricklin to make the final decision is that if the new hire is a bad one, who do you blame? Who do you hold accountable? You can't hold Stricklin accountable because he didn't even make the hire.

Point is, the sitting athletic director must have major say in athletic department hiring or the system breaks down. If you have that little faith in the AD, then you need a new AD, and not just take away power from the current one.

Saltydog
02-13-2014, 09:43 AM
nt

Coach34
02-13-2014, 10:43 AM
Point is, the sitting athletic director must have major say in athletic department hiring or the system breaks down. If you have that little faith in the AD, then you need a new AD, and not just take away power from the current one.

Well, had we done that- we would have hired Bobby Wallace instead of Jackie Wayne Sherrill. Thank you again Dr Z for stepping in. RIP

Dawg61
02-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Pearl being friends with Stansbury only helps us. He knows it's a good job and he can win. This needs to be pursued.

codeDawg
02-13-2014, 11:27 AM
I don't understand why people keep saying that Strickland shouldn't get any say in the basketball hire this time, and here is why.

The best organizations/companies/universities are entities where people perform their job, and higher ranked employees don't meddle or play in another's sandbox. Like Bob Craft has always said, "the best teams are the ones where owners own, GMs GM, and coaches coach."

The athletic director position is a position that is supposed to have the power to hire and fire coaches. And by not allowing Stricklin to hire new coaches, a major management mistake would have taken place.

Whether you have confidence in Stricklin to make the hire or not, you must allow him to make the hire, or you have no way to evaluate or hold Stricklin accountable for his job performance. If the administration truly doesn't have faith in Stricklin then they should fire him and hire a new athletic director that they have confidence in, but, due to Stricklin still being on the job, I expect he will make every hire and he should.

This doesn't mean that boosters, Keenum, etc... shouldn't be able to give advice, but the biggest management problem in not allowing Stricklin to make the final decision is that if the new hire is a bad one, who do you blame? Who do you hold accountable? You can't hold Stricklin accountable because he didn't even make the hire.

Would you rather Stricklin have collaborated with the program supporters to find the right hire so we all went in the same direction, or would rather have the nobody wins civil war cluster**** we have now? We are seeing the consequences of Stricklin not being a pragmatic decision maker.

AFDawg
02-13-2014, 11:32 AM
Well, had we done that- we would have hired Bobby Wallace instead of Jackie Wayne Sherrill. Thank you again Dr Z for stepping in. RIP

The fact that Dr. Z. Had to step in--and thank goodness he did--should have been a sign that LT needed to go.