PDA

View Full Version : This has become absurd!

Brahmabull
02-12-2014, 10:43 PM
Let me preface this by saying I am not a basketball guy.

Is Ray a terrible second half coach or do we just not give a shit after halftime? We are continuously being blown out in the second half of ball games. I don't care what he inherited, this has become absurd. There is zero reason to be this bad in year two.

A half-ass recruiter could have brought in a whole new team and been better than we are! Why is Ray getting a pass? Would Mullen have gotten this much lea way in year two of his tenure following Croom?

preachermatt83
02-12-2014, 10:44 PM
amen

JohnnyQuid
02-12-2014, 10:45 PM
++

maroonmania
02-12-2014, 10:46 PM
The sad part is that we are performing this way in an SEC that is maybe as bad as its been in the last 30 years.

Brahmabull
02-12-2014, 11:49 PM
I am not trying to pile on when I ask this question, but has our basketball program become the equivalent of southern ms football? Somebody who is a basketball guy, please answer.

IMO, in this day of college basketball, it should not be this hard to win. Even if you inherited a dumpster fire.

Will James
02-12-2014, 11:55 PM
Still can't wrap my mind around the 62-29 run UGA went on. Comical.

msstate7
02-12-2014, 11:56 PM
I am not trying to pile on when I ask this question, but has our basketball program become the equivalent of southern ms football? Somebody who is a basketball guy, please answer.

IMO, in this day of college basketball, it should not be this hard to win. Even if you inherited a dumpster fire.

Good comparison IMO.

defiantdog
02-12-2014, 11:56 PM
How the team gave up.... I would compare our basketball coaching to the USM football coaching. But I do agree with you brahmabull

Intramural All-American
02-12-2014, 11:58 PM
Uh, what? That is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. We are 13-11 and have won 3 games in the SEC. Southern Miss has won 1 game in the past two seasons. We are very low, but Southern is literally the worst football team in college football. Think before you post.

JohnnyQuid
02-12-2014, 11:59 PM
The sad part is that we are performing this way in an SEC that is maybe as bad as its been in the last 30 years.

This is the most disturbing factor. Anybody who thinks the SEC WON'T recoup in basketball is retarded. Imagine if this league was actually competitive and not just 2-3 teams worthy of NCAA selection.

msstate7
02-13-2014, 12:00 AM
Uh, what? That is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. We are 13-11 and have won 3 games in the SEC. Southern Miss has won 1 game in the past two seasons. We are very low, but Southern is literally the worst football team in college football. Think before you post.

The sec is a pathetic basketball conference. We are the worst team in a terrible conference.

thf24
02-13-2014, 12:01 AM
A shallow team at the best of times that's got to be a little demoralized by the losing stretch prior to this game is to blame for the second half collapses. That and we don't have a consistent go-to shooter to keep us in games when the other team goes on runs.

After tonight, I'm going to call the rest of this season a wash. Everyone by now has seen exactly how to stop our limited offense. I think we might be able to win two more, but I can just as easily see us losing out.

I like Ray and I still think it's unfair to pass judgement on him at this point, but if the team doesn't come out of the gate tremendously improved next season then he's going to be under a lot of pressure, and rightfully so.

defiantdog
02-13-2014, 12:02 AM

The team may not be similar but the coaching is close. Ray's gonna need a Cohen like 3rd year.

Intramural All-American
02-13-2014, 12:02 AM
We are 12th out of 14. I'm not saying we are good. But saying we are the worst basketball team in the nation is just retarded.

JohnnyQuid
02-13-2014, 12:06 AM
We are 12th out of 14. I'm not saying we are good. But saying we are the worst basketball team in the nation is just retarded.

Careful. Season isnt over yet.

Brahmabull
02-13-2014, 12:17 AM
I am not going to get in a pissing contest on whether we are the worst team in college basketball or just in the bottom ten of all DI. I do know that like southern football, four years ago we were packing our arena and competing for the conference division titles. Now when the season is over, we will be the worst team in our conference. A conference that is as bad as I can remember it being in the last 30 years.

JohnnyQuid
02-13-2014, 12:21 AM
I am not going to get in a pissing contest on whether we are the worst team in college basketball or just in the bottom ten of all DI. I do know that like southern football, four years ago we were packing our arena and competing for the conference division titles. Now when the season is over, we will be the worst team in our conference. A conference that is as bad as I can remember it being in the last 30 years.
yep. :( It's unfortunate cause we shouldnt be in this position. But, it's where our AD has put us. Time to start digging out.

ScottH
02-13-2014, 12:23 AM
I am not trying to pile on when I ask this question, but has our basketball program become the equivalent of southern ms football? Somebody who is a basketball guy, please answer

Quasi related although not USM football. I am unexpectedly impressed with Donnie Tyndall and USM

For comparison:

USM 21-3 #35 RPI 154 SOS
MSU 13-11 #184 RPI 162 SOS

Intramural All-American
02-13-2014, 12:23 AM
We've won 13 games. We obviously are not one of the 10 worst teams in the country. My God, the defeatist attitude of most of you is sad. We suck, but we have actually won ball games, and we've actually had stretches where we played well.

JohnnyQuid
02-13-2014, 12:27 AM
We've won 13 games. We obviously are not one of the 10 worst teams in the country. My God, the defeatist attitude of most of you is sad. We suck, but we have actually won ball games, and we've actually had stretches where we played well.

Our Non-conf schedules was one of the worst in recent memory. Since when does 5 mins count as stretches of playing well? :S

David H Murray ‏@DawgsBiteMag 1h
Those last two UG baskets were just too easy inside. Heck, let's suit-up Wes Rea, he's still here and I'm sure he'll close off the lane some

Brahmabull
02-13-2014, 12:30 AM
Honestly, who have we beat that is decent?

JohnnyQuid
02-13-2014, 12:35 AM
Honestly, who have we beat that is decent?

IMHO Ole miss is our BEST win, by far. It pains me to ****ing say this. :|

SDDawg
02-13-2014, 12:42 AM
Step off the ledge people, you're not going to win many basketball games with 7 scholarship players and an opponent that shoots 74% in the second half. Relax and let Ray do his work, he'll have a full squad next year and 2 years of rebuilding, judge him then. Plus, this season is not over and there's still a decent shot at finishing with a winning season.

JohnnyQuid
02-13-2014, 12:55 AM
Step off the ledge people, you're not going to win many basketball games with 7 scholarship players and an opponent that shoots 74% in the second half. Relax and let Ray do his work, he'll have a full squad next year and 2 years of rebuilding, judge him then. Plus, this season is not over and there's still a decent shot at finishing with a winning season.

lol.

WPDawg
02-13-2014, 01:03 AM
Give Ray and the players time. Its not like we are losing by 40 every time we go out there. He is trying to build back a program and I like watching this team better than I did the last few Stansburys team. We just dont have the height in the post and a goto scorer. Lots of these guys are role players that work hard and might prosper more if they had a superstar scorer to play with. Wish Sword and others would take more of the 12-15 ft jumpers. nobody is letting us go straight to the basket anymore. Listening to Ray speak, it appears he is on the right track and knows where he is going. Just have to find a few more players. Any rebuild process has ups and downs. We arent going to be leaps and bounds better this year. We knew it going in so why dont we support what the man is trying to do and see how it turns out in a couple of years.

THE Bruce Dickinson
02-13-2014, 01:18 AM

Actually, it is pretty damn east to shoot 74% when 50% of your total shots are barely or uncontested layups. I am not totally giving up on Ray at this point, but making excuses for tonight is really dumb. We played with no effort in the second half, and the team straight up quit. Being outmatched is one thing, but quitting at home like that is another all together. This one is on RR

LC Dawg
02-13-2014, 09:05 AM
The difference between football and basketball is that in basketball you're always only a couple of good players away from being decent. IMO, a football dumpster fire is much harder to recover from.
That being said I think it is time for us to take a chance on a player. I'm not up on recruiting but there has to be a JUCO or transfer out there who is a bit of a risk that can help us immediately. I think it would be worth the risk to try to recover a fan base that is rapidly declining. We took a chance on Dontae' Jones and went to the Final Four. Ole Miss took a chance on Henderson and even though he's a pain in their ass he got them to the tourney and saved Kennedy's job. We also took a chance on Sidney and Stansbury lost his job over it and we are where we are partially because of taking that risk so I know it could blow up in our face. It may be a year early for this but if there's not a lot of improvement shown next year it's definitely panic time.

mic
02-13-2014, 09:05 AM

Article from a basketball guy coming next few days..

Coach34
02-13-2014, 09:18 AM
, four years ago we were packing our arena and competing for the conference division titles. .

da ****? 4 years ago we finished 6th in the SEC

Jack Lambert
02-13-2014, 09:26 AM
Our problem is talent. It takes a few years to get the guys in. You have to build relationships with the highschool coaches and Rick has to have time to do it. I think that is the mistake our AD made. He should have hired someone who coaches in this part of the SEC who had those relationships. Just my opinion.

Now as far as Rick goes, he is our coach and should be giving time. I do have problems with him only having 7 scholarship guys avaiable in his second season maybe next year there will be more. I am good keeping him for one more year but this time next season if we are only playing 7 scholarship guys and getting blown out every game he probably should go.

FlabLoser
02-13-2014, 09:26 AM
Ray is a good coach. But if the crootin machine doesn't come together, it doesn't matter.

Same goes for any coach that comes here, be it Bruce Pearl or Phil Jackson.

We've had a recruiter that couldn't coach. And now we've got a coach who isn't recruiting - yet. Gotta have both.

I give Ray one more year. If recruiting isn't solved this coming signing period, his fate is sealed.

Maroonthirteen
02-13-2014, 09:28 AM
We are tired in the 2nd halves. Last night, our defense was pitiful in the 2nd half. We gave up. They easily got to the rim. That is why they shot 70% in the 2nd half.

As for Ray.......someone else made a good point. You can recruit a couple of players and turn around a basketball program in one recruiting season. Next year is Ray's third season. It is nobody's fault but his own if we lack depth and talent again next year. He will be given a 4th season because we are patient at MSU but........at this point...he is looking like a basketball Croom. That is your football comparison.

MS_half-step
02-13-2014, 09:44 AM
The towel has been thrown in, I'm predicting we lose out.

Johnson85
02-13-2014, 12:33 PM
Would Mullen have gotten this much lea way in year two of his tenure following Croom?

Had Mullen been bad coach, absolutely. Nobody knew the type of talent Crooms was wasting. Had we sucked for two years, we would have said Croom left Mullen with nothing, just like after two years we were claiming Sherrill left Crooms nothing, even though in reality it wasn't that bad.