PDA

View Full Version : Geno

JohnnyQuid
02-12-2014, 10:18 PM
A kid that wanted to play at state, from a family who loved state, and playing at georgia. And doing pretty well it seems. This just seemed like such a great opportunity to sign a kid( a white kid, one of the rarest commodities in basketball it seems) that could actually compete and be an asset. Wasnt the excuse that we didn't have enough scholarships, yet here with sit with 7-8 scholarship players yet again. Just seems to pronounce what a miss this was by our coaching staff last year.

Political Hack
02-12-2014, 10:21 PM
sucks. kid is talented and we could've used him.

Cowbellringer
02-12-2014, 10:22 PM
Why does it matter if he's white?

maroonmania
02-12-2014, 10:23 PM
Why does it matter if he's white?

In college basketball its like reverse affirmative action.

CooterDavenport
02-12-2014, 10:34 PM
He's averaging .9 ppg at Georgia. Yes, he's having a good game tonight. Yes, I'd like to have him. But to give him a scholarship means you have to take away somebody else's in that class. So who's--IJ Ready's? Fallou Ndoye's? Travis Daniels's?

JohnnyQuid
02-12-2014, 10:42 PM
He's averaging .9 ppg at Georgia. Yes, he's having a good game tonight. Yes, I'd like to have him. But to give him a scholarship means you have to take away somebody else's in that class. So who's--IJ Ready's? Fallou Ndoye's? Travis Daniels's?

He's a Mississippi kid with State family ties, he has size, and seems to be decent baller. He would likely be a fan/student fav. Could he possibly be any worse than the product we are putting on the floor atm? I doubt it highly. If Ray had gone to him and said hey look, walk on a year, next year we'll work something out with scholly etc maybe something could have been worked out. I dont know that this wasnt done, but since noone with the inside shit has said anything about it, i doubt it was. He may not have made a lick of difference, I just think the whole situation was handled badly.

maroonmania
02-12-2014, 10:43 PM

Travis Daniels -- Can someone explain to me how a guy that only averaged 11 points/game in an AL Juco is supposed to give us any serious help next year?

tcdog70
02-12-2014, 10:55 PM

He wanted to walk on, Ray wouldn't talk to him

CooterDavenport
02-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Travis Daniels -- Can someone explain to me how a guy that only averaged 11 points/game in an AL Juco is supposed to give us any serious help next year?

I don't know much about Daniels abilities, but he did have an offer from Wichita State. He's also 6'8" and we need height badly. The only players we have that tall now are Borchert, who's graduating, and Ware. Next year we add Daniels and Ndoye, and possibly Oliver Black.

JohnnyQuid
02-12-2014, 11:03 PM

Sounds about in line with everything else he's done so far.

C222
02-12-2014, 11:04 PM

Not even close to being true. He was
offered a chance to walk on.

notsofarawaydawg
02-12-2014, 11:11 PM

Bullshit. He was asked to walk on. Tish County still sucks.

CooterDavenport
02-12-2014, 11:11 PM

According to a tweet last September by Brandon Speck--who may be a douche but who has no reason to lie about this--Ray visited Speck in Booneville. So I'm not believing Ray "wouldn't talk to him."

mic
02-12-2014, 11:22 PM

Completely wrong...

DCdawg
02-12-2014, 11:27 PM
Ray talked to him...and told him there wasn't a scholarship or walk-on spot for him. Same thing Kennedy told him. He wanted a scholarship but probably would have walked on just to be on the team. I have a pretty good source on this one.

JohnnyQuid
02-12-2014, 11:31 PM
Ray talked to him...and told him there wasn't a scholarship or walk-on spot for him. Same thing Kennedy told him. He wanted a scholarship but probably would have walked on just to be on the team. I have a pretty good source on this one.

Idk, if the truth will ever be known. This sounds like an answer somewhere in the middle of it all possibly most factual. Like I said, I just feel like we handled it like shit. :|

dawgoneyall
02-12-2014, 11:32 PM
Not wrong.

tcdog70
02-12-2014, 11:48 PM
His team practiced at the Hump and not a Coach bothered to talk to Him.

tcdog70
02-12-2014, 11:49 PM
Not even close to being true. He was
offered a chance to walk on.
You know this how?

Belegal
02-13-2014, 12:06 AM
Family big state fans! Family told msu conimng to recruit- state no showed!!! Good kid , good grades -etc-no offer- The 3 state offered didn't qualify! Poor evaluation and recruiting by Ray!

tcdog70
02-13-2014, 12:14 AM
Family big state fans! Family told msu conimng to recruit- state no showed!!! Good kid , good grades -etc-no offer- The 3 state offered didn't qualify! Poor evaluation and recruiting by Ray!

^^^^^this^^^^^^

JohnnyQuid
02-13-2014, 12:16 AM

*Insert hugefaceplam MEME*

DanDority
02-13-2014, 10:21 AM

Is this ^ true?

DCdawg
02-13-2014, 10:27 AM
Is this ^ true?

His family was certainly all MSU (BC members). He's a good kid and has never had any grade/off the court issues. It's true that Daniels and Ndoye didn't qualify right away. Idk if State coaches stood him up, but I know he wasn't offered a walk-on spot.

Tbonewannabe
02-13-2014, 10:42 AM
I know the northeast corner isn't a hotbed of talent but the name Geno means something up there. They have had several family members play some type of college basketball. A lot of great shooters in that family. If nothing else he could have helped ft %.

quickstrike2
02-13-2014, 10:43 AM
I'm not mad that Ray didn't offer Geno. It's his decision and its not like Geno is staring at UGA. However, it is hard to justify him not having enough "talent" with the players we have occupying the court right now. And it doesn't make it any better than the other recruits we had, so good that we couldn't make room for Geno, didn't qualify or can't play right now. If his family was all MSU and wanted him here badly, i don't understand a walk-on spot not being offered if its true that it wadn't.

C222
02-13-2014, 10:50 AM
He is no better than the guys we have on the team now that some of you bash every single day so why do you think we should have offered him a scholarship? Because his parents went to MSU?

And he was most definitely offered a chance to walk on.

chef dixon
02-13-2014, 11:20 AM
He posted a career high 6 points last night. Hate that we couldn't evaluate that talent.

Most of our fans are so desperate for answers right now, and it is incredible how much that can cloud reason.

DCdawg
02-13-2014, 11:46 AM
I never said he deserved a scholarship. In fact, I don't think he did. I'm just trying to separate fact from opinion. However, I don't think you can justify him not being offered when we offered two kids that didn't even qualify. Maybe a coincidence, but when he checked in around the 10-12 minute mark UGA went on a run and never looked back. I know we played terrible too but he brings a ton of energy and hustle.

Tbonewannabe
02-13-2014, 12:58 PM
He is no better than the guys we have on the team now that some of you bash every single day so why do you think we should have offered him a scholarship? Because his parents went to MSU?

And he was most definitely offered a chance to walk on.

If he is anything like the rest of his family, he would probably be our best 3pt shooter right now and our best ft%.