PDA

View Full Version : Now they're calling for 3" of snow this afternoon and tonight in Starkvegas

starkvegasdawg
02-12-2014, 01:52 PM
Anybody think they nail this one to go 1 out of 3? I just looked at a radar and it appeared the western extent of precip was Greenwood. Even that all converts to snow that looks like an awful small band to drop that much. Is more supposed to develop behind it?

starkvegasdawg
02-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Got this from the NWS forecast discussion. Can anybody translate this to English?

THE MAIN CONCERN FOR TODAY CONTINUES TO BE THE POTENTIAL FOR A MIX
OF WINTRY PRECIP THAT SHOULD CHANGEOVER TO MOSTLY SNOW. AS A
DEFORMATION AREA SETS UP OVER WHAT LOOKS LIKE WILL BE THE GOLDEN
TRIANGLE REGION...THIS WILL LEAD TO A BRIEF MIXTURE OF
RAIN/SLEET/SNOW BEFORE DYNAMIC COOLING PROCESSES ALLOW FOR THIS TO
CONVERT OVER TO ALL SNOW THROUGH THE LATE AFTERNOON INTO THE EVENING
HOURS.

notsofarawaydawg
02-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Damn it. I don't want this shit in the Golden Triangle.

rabbitthedawg
02-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Everyone bitches about the weather, however no one ever does anything about it.

TheRef
02-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Everyone bitches about the weather, however no one ever does anything about it.

Wait.....what? Does anything about the weather or how we respond to the weather?

DLGDawg
02-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Wait.....what? Does anything about the weather or how we respond to the weather?

Ha....what say you Ref? Have you been able to look at any computer models?(am I saying that right)

TheRef
02-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Ha....what say you Ref? Have you been able to look at any computer models?(am I saying that right)

Haha...you said that right. I think NWS may be over-estimating on the snow ratios. I think we get snow, but not 2-3" accumulations

TippahDawg
02-12-2014, 02:51 PM
I just got back from lunch & it has started sleeting in Starkville. It has probably been doing it all day, but I've been in my office & I hadn't noticed.

TheRef
02-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Yupp, multiple reports of sleet in Starkville. It'll switch to snow soon.

Will James
02-12-2014, 03:05 PM

So.... Chances the GTR region shuts down Thursday?

TheRef
02-12-2014, 03:06 PM
So.... Chances the GTR region shuts down Thursday?

Slim to none....everything will be operational tomorrow.

DLGDawg
02-12-2014, 03:07 PM

Awww man, back to the grocery store. Gotta keep eating those milk sandwiches.

TheRef
02-12-2014, 03:07 PM

Now that made me laugh.

Will James
02-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Slim to none....everything will be operational tomorrow.

Good to hear.

mic
02-12-2014, 03:10 PM
Over / Under
Attendance at the Hump tonight

TheRef
02-12-2014, 03:10 PM
Over / Under
Attendance at the Hump tonight

I'll take the under.

starkvegasdawg
02-12-2014, 03:35 PM

I went in the Starkville Kroger Monday evening to look for a pork roast to smoke for my mom's birthday and just walked back out the door. There were people with 7 loaves of bread in their buggy and enough meat to survive a nuclear holocaust. One guy had 20 2 liters of coke zero in his buggy. I took a picture of the bread aisle that had been wiped clean and then said I had no desire to stay there any longer. Every checkout lane was at least 40 feet long. Now, with the forecast of snow this afternoon I am wondering how motivated I am to go to Wal-Mart and look for what she wants as a birthday present.

TheRef
02-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Rain/Snow mixture now...we're inching ever so closely to that all-out snow. Probably won't stick though with temps how they are.

starkvegasdawg
02-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Rain/Snow mixture now...we're inching ever so closely to that all-out snow. Probably won't stick though with temps how they are.

Radar shows it almost moved out of the area. Think anything redevelops behind this current batch. If not, it's over very shortly.

TheRef
02-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Radar shows it almost moved out of the area. Think anything redevelops behind this current batch. If not, it's over very shortly.

Can't rule out anything right now, IMO. I'm just in watch and see mode currently.

starkvegasdawg
02-12-2014, 04:51 PM
Can't rule out anything right now, IMO. I'm just in watch and see mode currently.

That's about all anybody can say. For giggles I checked the forecast for Greenwood about an hour ago and it was for a 20$ chance of snow before 7:00PM. I just went and looked again and it is now a 70% this afternoon and 30% tonight. That almost makes me want to think the NWS thinks something may redevelop. Our forecast, per the NWS has been changed to 100% chance of snow this afternoon with 1-3" accumulation and a 40% chance tonight with maybe 1/2". That is reversed from what they were saying earlier as far as accumulation timing. I really hope it does something. I have two sad little kids right now wanting to see some snow.

TheRef
02-12-2014, 04:54 PM
That's about all anybody can say. For giggles I checked the forecast for Greenwood about an hour ago and it was for a 20$ chance of snow before 7:00PM. I just went and looked again and it is now a 70% this afternoon and 30% tonight. That almost makes me want to think the NWS thinks something may redevelop. Our forecast, per the NWS has been changed to 100% chance of snow this afternoon with 1-3" accumulation and a 40% chance tonight with maybe 1/2". That is reversed from what they were saying earlier as far as accumulation timing. I really hope it does something. I have two sad little kids right now wanting to see some snow.

Starkville is 100% this afternoon with 1" of accumulation. Tonight is 40% with 1-2" of accumulation.

Friday high = 59
Saturday high = 53
Sunday high = 61

RC3
02-12-2014, 07:02 PM
Just an FYI. It is snowing a bit in kosciusko, 50 miles to the west of y'all so there may be a little but more to come y'all's way. 3 inches seems like a stretch though with temps being at or above freezing most of the day. But by any rate, I think this last band is the end of it