PDA

View Full Version : I'll tell ya one way to know that Ray is a good coach

Coach34
02-11-2014, 08:43 PM
Last year we ran the 1-3-1 zone against teams and gave them some problems. We were able to steal a couple of early SEC wins because of it. And we were the only SEC team to use it last year.

This season, I've seen no fewer than 5 SEC teams run a 1-3-1 zone.

Coaches are copycats. And they copy what guys do that are effective. (and yes, I remember Stands running it with Brandon Vincent- but it didnt lead to other teams using it. Hell, Stands never even went back to it.)

Dawg61
02-11-2014, 08:49 PM
It's not us it's cause the Miami Heat are SICK in NBA2K14 on the Xbox1 using the 1-3-1.**

whosyourdawgy
02-11-2014, 09:28 PM
We ran the zone for lack of talent in man D. Good coaching move by Ray. But to say others are copying him is a big stretch. If you said Jim Boeheim, then maybe. But they aren't copying Rick Ray.

Coach34
02-11-2014, 09:34 PM
But they aren't copying Rick Ray.

Well, yeah, yeah they are. aGAIN, 1 team did it last year- now at least 5 are doing it. It's the same thing as when Pearl was having success in bringing back the Flex offense when he was at Tenn. The next season you saw 5-6 teams running it as well in the SEC. Copycat league

And you run zone to mask lack of talent- but a 1-3-1 is different from a 2-3 or 2-3 match-up. You cant attack them the same way. Presents different offensive problems

shoeless joe
02-11-2014, 09:36 PM
We ran the zone for lack of talent in man D. Good coaching move by Ray. But to say others are copying him is a big stretch. If you said Jim Boeheim, then maybe. But they aren't copying Rick Ray.

Jim Boeheim only runs a 2-3 zone

whosyourdawgy
02-11-2014, 09:49 PM
Oooo. You are so right. I screwed the pooch on that one. Still don't think others are running the 1-3-1 because Ray was a genius to bring it to the forefront. The 1-3-1 D has been around forever. What our high school ran back in the late 80's when I played.

With that being said, I'm watching the Bama vs TSUN game. Damn, college basketball has gone DOWN. Basketball has always been my favorite sport, but the quality of play especially in the SEC sucks right now.

Coach34
02-11-2014, 09:56 PM
The 2-3 zone has been around forever- but suddenly Boeheim is the 2-3 zone master.

I'm not saying Ray created the 1-3-1 or Pearl the Flex- but they were instrumental in getting other programs to run it currently

Dawg61
02-11-2014, 10:19 PM
Only thing more pathetic than SEC basketball is the SEC crowds. Bama is a ghost town on ESPNU right now. Ouch! Must be the weather right.

TheDogFather
02-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Last year we ran the 1-3-1 zone against teams and gave them some problems. We were able to steal a couple of early SEC wins because of it. And we were the only SEC team to use it last year.

This season, I've seen no fewer than 5 SEC teams run a 1-3-1 zone.

Coaches are copycats. And they copy what guys do that are effective. (and yes, I remember Stands running it with Brandon Vincent- but it didnt lead to other teams using it. Hell, Stands never even went back to it.)

Please tell me you have something other than this bullshit to convince someone Ray is a good coach.

whosyourdawgy
02-11-2014, 10:28 PM
And Bama may be the only team in the SEC that shoots as badly as we do. Why is it that every time we play them, Trevor Releford goes completely off on us? Ole Miss is gonna win this game before it's all said and done. Did y'all see them breaking down Perez' great post move a bit ago? It was a great move if you are allowed to take almost 4 steps without dribbling.

Dawg61
02-11-2014, 11:07 PM
Anthony Grant's days are numbered. Please don't let it be Bruce Pearl, Shaka Smart or Gregg Marshall that they get.

Coach34
02-11-2014, 11:09 PM
Anthony Grant's days are numbered. Please don't let it be Bruce Pearl, Shaka Smart or Gregg Marshall that they get.

Rumors are Bama, Georgia, and Auburn looking to make a change. Shaka Smart and Gregg Marshall both coach in conferences that are better than the SEC right now. Cant see them leaving at this point except to take a big job

tcdog70
02-11-2014, 11:37 PM
It is pretty well known that Jim Boeheim is the master of the 2-3 zone. That is the only defense he has ever played. But it is a 2-3 matchup

BeardoMSU
02-11-2014, 11:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jlYxh.jpg

tcdog70
02-11-2014, 11:52 PM
The 2-3 zone has been around forever- but suddenly Boeheim is the 2-3 zone master.

I'm not saying Ray created the 1-3-1 or Pearl the Flex- but they were instrumental in getting other programs to run it currently

http://dailyorange.com/2014/01/the-buildup/

Esmerelda Villalobos
02-12-2014, 12:14 AM
Stands use to run one with brandon vincent

Johnson85
02-12-2014, 09:26 AM
It is pretty well known that Jim Boeheim is the master of the 2-3 zone. That is the only defense he has ever played. But it is a 2-3 matchup

Pretty sure he was exclusively man-to-man until right before 1996. When he went to the Final 4, he did an interview where he talked about a year or two before he was running man and nobody thought he could coach. He switched to 2-3 because of personnel and everybody thought he was a genius. He obviously figured out he was a much better 2-3 zone coach sine he's stuck with it, but I think he was basically anti-zone before he moved to it. I think that may be why it gives people so much trouble because in addition to recruiting to it, he also incorporates some man principles that make it more aggressive.

tcdog70
02-12-2014, 10:01 AM
Pretty sure he was exclusively man-to-man until right before 1996. When he went to the Final 4, he did an interview where he talked about a year or two before he was running man and nobody thought he could coach. He switched to 2-3 because of personnel and everybody thought he was a genius. He obviously figured out he was a much better 2-3 zone coach sine he's stuck with it, but I think he was basically anti-zone before he moved to it. I think that may be why it gives people so much trouble because in addition to recruiting to it, he also incorporates some man principles that make it more aggressive.

check the link above to the daily Orange-It will tell you all you want